U2 at a grave site?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Val

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Can anyone tell me where this photo was taken? Thanks!

Attachments

• abbandweird.jpg
    abbandweird.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 137
Can't remember the name of it right this second & it's too late for me to look it up - should've been in bed an hour ago!!! - but I believe it's a famous cemetery in Paris. Jim Morrison's buried there, among others - Mama Cass, I think and several other celebrities.

Sorry I don't have more info right now. Hope this helps, though.

thanks, I'm told it's not the actual Morrison Grave, so i don't want to assume it's the same cemetery. If you find out more, I'd appreciate it.

The cemetary you're talking about is Père Lachaise, but I don't know about the specific grave in question here.

Here it is

U2cemetary2.jpg

Well I have no idea, I tried to zoom in thinking I could make out a name but no such luck. Looks to be something other then English...atleast to me.

Val said:
thanks, I'm told it's not the actual Morrison Grave, so i don't want to assume it's the same cemetery. If you find out more, I'd appreciate it.
yeah it's not Morrison's grave...my brother had a pic of it and it was more out in the open.

bonocomet said:
Here it is

U2cemetary2.jpg
Taken May 23, 1992
If you go to eyevine.com it's on page 9 when you search the archive for U2. There is an email address that you can email to get specifics about the pic.

These photos weren't taken in Paris, they were taken in Vienna. But I don't think it's the Zentralfriedhof (our main cemetery); it's the old St. Marx cemetary. It's beautiful.

Thanks for correcting my answer, last unicorn.

All I did was use the search function.
Where I found a thread in which someone said it was the Zentralfriedhof in Vienna.

Last edited:
Are there any pics or stories about U2/Bono visiting Morrison's grave? Thanks

Someone around here on Pleba (can't remember who now) cracked me up one day when she said it seemed a bit disrespectful for him to do that on someone's grave, however she gave him permission to please do it on hers. :lol:

Vienna's central cemetary is home to many graves of composers, such as Brahms, Schubert, Beethoven and Strauss. It has 330,000 graves. If you've seen The Third Man, that's the cemetary in the opening sequence.

It is beautiful, actually. More like a park with graves than a graveyard.

Val said:
Is the St Marx cemetery the central one?
No it's not.
The Central Cemetary is incredibly large, almost a city on it's own.
St. Marx is very old, one of very few "Biedermeier" cemeteries in the world.
The grave of Mozart is in St. Marx. It's beautiful, yet not very big.
Mozart's grave was restored lately for the Mozart anniversary year.
St. Marx is very romantic, people say it's one of the most beautiful cemeteries in the world.

last unicorn said:
The grave of Mozart is in St. Marx. It's beautiful, yet not very big.
Mozart's grave was restored lately for the Mozart anniversary year.

Wasn't Mozart buried in an unmarked paupers' grave and noone is sure where he's located?

tlski said:
Well I have no idea, I tried to zoom in thinking I could make out a name but no such luck. Looks to be something other then English...atleast to me.

thanks, tlski

blueeyedgirl said:

Wasn't Mozart buried in an unmarked paupers' grave and noone is sure where he's located?

Here's what I found.

"Constanze, too shattered to think, automatically followed the sensible advice of the penurious Van Swieten to bury her husband as cheaply as possible. On December 6, during a rainstorm that prevented both Constanze and Mozart's friends from going to the potter's field, his body was cast, with the remains of a dozen other paupers, into a common grave. When Constanze tried to find the spot some time later, no one could tell her where it was. Almost seventy years afterward, the city of Vienna erected a fine memorial on the probable site."

Taken from
http://www.tjp-online.com/musicarchive/mozart/bio1.html

Back
Top Bottom