Through The Sleet And Driving Snow : Part Five

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RavenBlue

Blue Crack Addict
I was going to cut this up into two chapters but decided to put it altogether. I think I'm getting a flu.. so in between rushing to the bathroom I'll try and get the next chapter written as soon as I can. Thanks everyone for your kind words of encouragement.

Disclaimer: Don't know 'em, fiction fiction fiction

--
Serena had sent Larry to a room where he could take a nap as she had caught him dozing off several times on the couch. He had protested at first, but had followed her down to the room and thanked her when she gave him a blanket. She had asked the others if they needed a nap, but they were still quite active. She wondered if Bono ever really did sleep, he was always so hyper and alert. Edge and him were jamming in the front room. Well jamming in the sense that Edge would start something, and then have to stop and tell Bono the chords.. and then they'd jam. She mused at the thought of some song being born in her house. More wishful thinking, seems she was full of that! She was musing about other stuff as well but the warmth of the house had brought her logic senses back. Besides, I'm sure none of them would've thought of her that way ever in a million years. It was a purely look, but you can't touch muse. She wondered if they needed to get in contact with anyone, their phones wouldn't work out here.

"Guys, you know, if you need to use to phone or anything you're welcome to."

Edge shook his head.

"No need love, we've got mobiles."

She shook her head.

"I figured you would, but this is a deadzone. Your phone may be on, but all it will do is drain itself of energy trying to search for a signal that isn't there."

"Oh, well, I probably should call home. Just to check in and tell them what's up. I'll call collect."

She made to protest. "There's no need really"

"I know honey, but I will anyway. Excuse me, B"

Bono was playing two chords in a bluesy fashion. He nodded towards the other guitar and then looked at Serena. "Come on love, join in"

"I'm afraid I'm not very good."

Adam chimed in "Neither is Bono" and then returned to reading a newspaper that she had offered him earlier.

"What was that, Clayton?"

"Oh nothing, nothing. Look at that, the Sea Dogs are on a five game winning streak. Will wonders never cease.. hmmm"

She picked up the guitar and sat down across from B. He was grinning, still playing the same two chords over and over. She was grinning, on the inside. Her nerves were making themselves known on the outside. Bono sensed this and began to hum the chorus from Mysterious Ways and then mouthed "It's alright" towards her. Well, she was glad that he couldn't see that she just melted into a pile of goo inside. Or maybe he knew.. there was a twinkle in his eye for a moment. Yea, he probably knew. He stopped playing for a second and motioned for her to as well.

"Start something"

"What do you want?"

"Just play something, anything.. and I'll follow in."

Her stomach was now a nicely tied knot but she took a deep breath and started into a chord and when the spirit moved her, she'd switch to another. She closed her eyes for a moment and then heard Bono start strumming at a different rhythm. This went on for awhile and then Bono stopped..

"What's the matter?" she asked.

He went across the room and grabbed the pen and the sketchbook.

"Do you mind if I take a few sheets of paper from this? No, okay good. Just had some words fall into my head. Gots to write them down before I forget them. Keep playing those last chords.. there's something there I think."

She did as she was told and watched as the lightbulb went on behind his eyes and he began scribbling out words like a man possessed. Well, she thought, this is taking an interesting turn. He put the paper on the floor and started to sing out the words tentatively. He'd sing a few over and over and then pick up the paper, scratch something out and then start again. So this is how they did it, she mused. He kept directing her on what to play, and she was more than happy to oblige.. wondering if perhaps she'd get part credit if this turned out to be more than just a living room masterpiece. It didn't matter either way, this was so beyond cool. She'd just noticed that Edge had returned from using the phone and was sitting on the edge(ha!) of the couch, nodding his head to the song. Even Adam was tapping his toe... maybe something really was happening here. Edge had been rifling through his puffy winter jacket and then produced a small electronic device.

"Ipod?" she inquired.

Edge shook his head "Recorder. Never know when something might happen. Gotta be prepared at all times yknow. Specially with 'ol scatterbrain there. "

She made a gesture of sort of holding the guitar towards him while still playing. Really he should be the one doing this, shouldn't he? But he held his hand up.

"You're doing just fine" and he pressed record.

---
The playing had gone on for another thirty minutes or so, with Edge recording the whole thing. Larry had since woken up and had wandered out just as Serena had set down the guitar. To be honest, he had been listening for the last little bit. Even he had to say, it sounded half decent. Not that he would let B know right away, had to rib him.. not let down that gruff Mullen guard. The clock in the room told him it was nearing 4pm. He hesitated to ask if they should perhaps be moving on soon, but it would have to be asked eventually. Though right now, his stomach was really beginning to rumble. He reckoned the others were probably feeling the same way.

"I think that would be a great idea, don't you Lars?"

"What Edge?"

"Supper! Serena said there's a great place down the road. Truckstop, you know what good food truck stops have."

"And it'll be my treat."

"No it won't" argued B.

"Yes it will! For heavens sake, I have to find some way to thank you guys. Yeesh."

"You're not paying" he continued.

" I am"

Larry interrupted. "We'll cross that bridge when we get there. Which leads me to this point. How are we going to get there?"

"There's that big red thing out there that we rented. What do they call it.. oh yes, a lorrie. No wait, I guess here it's a truck. I hear they move quite well. Good decision on switching from the square wheels for sure." quipped Adam. He had been largely silent for the last little bit but he always seemed to chime in with the greatest responses.

"Very funny, smartarse. We can't all fit in the truck though. It was tight enough squished in the back with Ads! It didn't help how you two arses kept pushing your seats back as far as they'd go either."

Bono had raised his hand so it looked like a talking mouth and now was mocking Larry.

"Whine, whine whine. Is that all you do?"

"Boys.." but they weren't listening. So she spoke a little louder "Boys!", still they continued. "GUYS! Enough! I have a car. Two can go in the truck, and two can come with me in the car. Now come on, I'm starving and all!" She winced a bit, her head sort of stung after yelling.

"Sorry love" said Bono "You okay?"

She walked out to the kitchen to grab another tylenol, Bono behind her.

"Are you alright?" he asked again, an air of concern tinging his query.

"My head just hurt for a second there, a sharp twinge." she filled a glass with water and then swallowed the pill. "I'm fine"

But his eyes told her he didn't believe her.

"Really, I'm okay. Come on, let's get going. I'm starving." He still didn't look like he totally believed her, but he made a move to grab her jacket and then placed it on her shoulders.

"Alright" he said in somewhat of a whisper, kissing her forehead. "But I'm driving."

The bickering in the other room came to an abrupt halt.

"Err, Bono. Come on now. We don't want to give this poor girl anymore risk of injury." Edge again. Always the voice of logic and sense. Sometimes she secretly wondered if he were half Vulcan or something. Did Star Trek have guitar heroes, she wondered. Edge put his hand reassuringly on Serena's shoulder. "I'll drive dear. You just tell me where to go. Ads will drive Whineybottoms there."

"Oi! Just who are you calling..."

"Will you ever feckin' shut up" Bono sighed. "Let's go"

--

First get over your flu. Then continue the story.

I am really loving this story.

Is there really a truck stop like that in Moncton? I only know how to get to Champlain Place and Chapters. Considering they are beside eachother that's not a big feat.

dianepm said:
First get over your flu. Then continue the story.

I am really loving this story.

Is there really a truck stop like that in Moncton? I only know how to get to Champlain Place and Chapters. Considering they are beside eachother that's not a big feat.

It's just outside of Moncton, in Salisbury. Seriously, some of the best food I must say. Lots of cool stuff in them Big Stops too :wink:

Great french toast :drool: Oh man I haven't had that in ages ack!

last unicorn said:
I love this story, it's so funny and sweet at the same time.

More please!!!!

same here
winterangel.gif

I love it when they argue :cute: Like an old married couple... but with four :giggle:

And for a second there, I thought Bono was gonna suggest that Serena ride on his lap in the cramped truck :faint:

Back
Top Bottom