Through The Sleet And Driving Snow Part 12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RavenBlue

Blue Crack Addict
Yes, another chapter. Initially when I started this story it was meant to be about a two chapter short story. Well, so much for that. The longer the winter lasts, the longer this gets. I think the title now refers to me in the fact it feels like this story is a bit like driving down a turny mountainous road in a snowstorm and not knowing exactly where the hell you're going.

Thanks for hanging around for the journey. :)

You know the sad part is when I go to spell check and there are so many errors. Grammar and I have apparently drifted apart in the past few years :giggle:

Onward we go... please keep your seat belts buckled.

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction by a winter weary Canuckian. I don't know the band, I like their music, but I don't know 'em.
--

--

After a bit of Serena's warming 'sessions', Bono decided to take a quick shower. They'd decided that if they took one together, they might never get fed. After Bono came out, looking delicious, Serena went in.

"I'll just be a minute." She said

"Take your time, love. No worries." He replied calmly. She smiled and went about the task of getting herself in order.

Once Serena had closed the bathroom door, however, Bono sprinted to the bedroom where he opened his pack and in a flash dressed into a pair of black jeans, black shirt with nearly all of the buttons undone and a black sports jacket. The Bono uniform as it were. Then he opened Serena's closet, took a few outfits and stuffed them into his suitcase. He'd then gathered up said suitcase, rushed out and put it back in the trunk of the car. Even though he was now fully clothed, he still found it quite cold out and he cursed as he brought in a self feeding cat food container, a self watering cat container and a self cleaning cat box container. Where could he put these so that she wouldn't notice? He opted for the basement and managed to get everything set up rather smoothly. He'd even pulled an Adam, and started talking to the cat.

"Look cat, this'll feed you, this'll water you and this'll clean your crap okay?"

The cat simply stared at him and then rubbed against Bono's leg.

Bono heard the water in the shower stop and he rushed upstairs and sat at the kitchen table. He searched his inside pocket, ah, yes, there it was. The blindfold. He felt quite pleased with himself, oh if he could get away with this... it would blow her mind.

Eventually, Serena emerged from the bathroom already dressed. Blue jeans, black t-shirt and then a light blue cardigan over that. She grabbed her purse from her room and then met up with Bono at the table. She gasped when she saw him.

"You look lovely, sweetheart."

He looked ravishing.

"You too, B. Very smart"

He stood up. Serena found it hard not to stare at that delicious chest.

"Ready?"

"Let's hit the road."

--

"So where are we going?" Serena queried.

"Oh, great place. Really good bio online. I think you'll be pleased." Bono was grinning in the dim light of the odometer. Serena could just barely pick it up, but she did see it. Was he up to something? She shrugged off the feeling. She then thought of all the stories online about Bono driving, and how some folks had said that they'd rather not sit in the passenger seat with him, but she couldn't care less. As long as he was there, she was so happy. Besides, he was doing quite well. Sticking to the speed limit, well, so far anyway.

As they neared Dieppe, Bono suddenly pulled over on the shoulder.

"Is something wrong Bono?"

Bono pulled the blindfold out of his pocket and dangled it in front of her eyes. She looked at him quizzically.

"I'm afraid" he said as he beckoned her to lean towards him "That from here on out until we reach the place, you'll need to be wearing this."

Serena swallowed and then nodded.

Bono reached over and carefully placed the blindfold over Serena's eyes before tying it in a loose knot in the back. He let his hand run through her hair and then caress her cheek and then captured her mouth briefly, but extremely passionately with his. Serena gasped in surprise and then instead of fighting it, decided that melting was the best option. She was putty in his hands.

"Now then" he whispered sensually "All set"

She could hear beeping sounds and then him talking. He was on his cell.

"Yes, we're on our way. Okay, we'll take the VIP entrance. Thank you"

The rest of the drive was taken in silence, for the most part. Every few moments, Bono would ask if the blindfold was too tight and she'd tell him no and then he'd go on on how great the food at this place was and how beautiful she looked in the dashboard light. She loved listening to his voice, it was as calming as his heartbeat. Her senses were heightened at this point since she couldn't see anything. He smelled divine, oh so yummy, one hell of a main course. The blindfold was silky against her face, and cold. She could hear him humming and sometimes he would let out a light chuckle. She could only imagine what invoked that laugh, but she had a general idea. She felt the car taking several turns and then slowing down. A cool blast of winter air hit her cheek

"You're good, please proceed sir" Where the hell were they?

Bono closed the window and continued on until he found the proper parking space, which they had labeled 'Mr.Bono'. He had to laugh at that one. Bono glanced over at Serena, if she was nervous, she was hiding it very well. She looked quite vulnerable, but he hoped that she'd appreciate the sentiment.

"Can I take this off now?" she asked.

"Just a little while longer, love. Trust me. Now, give me a second, I just need to grab something from my pack. I'll return in a second okay."

She once again nodded and he opened the door. Serena could hear him in the trunk ruffling through his pack. Then the trunk closed and she was alone for about two minutes, then he returned, told her he'd take her purse in for her (in case she tried to pay again) and then he was gone for another five minutes. She had an amusing picture in her mind of modern day Bono, with his gorgeous short haircut, red shades and that jaw dropping suit carrying her purse into a restaurant. This was one hell of a place, a secret society restaurant? In Moncton?! Once again she brought herself to laughter. But he'd asked her to trust him and she really did, after earlier, she'd trust him no matter what.

"Miss me?" Bono had opened her door and she could feel his warm breath on her cheek. He reached over and unbuckled her and then guided her slowly up to her feet.

"Now, just lean on me and I'll guide you to where your feet need to go."

"Alright"

Bono held her close to him as they walked. She heard the swishing of automatic doors, and then the murmurs of a busy area. Beeping and Bono saying 'thank you' about four times. Then more automatic doors and they were back outside. Another mans voice, a waiter she presumed.. but what was he doing outside?

"Mr.Bono, a pleasure as always. We've saved the best table for you and your guest. If you'll follow me." Clomping of shoes on metal and then they were ascending up steps. Bono had moved his arm to her back, being careful that she didn't fall. She felt warm air against her suddenly and assumed they were finally inside. A loud clunk came from behind them, and then a rattling and someone saying that everything was a go. Eventually, Bono finally helped her to sit down but still didn't remove the blindfold. She could hear him pull out the chair across from her and then seat himself. She was also sure he'd heard him chuckle. Serena reached out in front of her and felt what she assumed to be a tablecloth. Yes, and there was silverware. Oh and Bono's hand.. and he grabbed her small hand in his large paw and held it. She didn't have to see him to know that he was smiling warmly at her then. Through the silk, she could still feel his gaze.

All of a sudden she felt a bit dizzy. Someone had turned on a vacuum cleaner and it was surprisingly loud. She was sure Bono would comment on this, but he didn't. He just gripped her hand a little tighter and then she had one of those 'up' moments. Like when you're driving over a hill too fast and it feels like you've left the ground. In the middle of all these feelings, she hadn't noticed that Bono stood up and was now crouched beside her. She even jumped a little as he slowly began untieing the knot in her blindfold. Then it fell from her eyes, and she had to wait a few moments for her vision to readjust. She turned to Bono, still kneeling beside her.

He smiled.

"I hope you won't be mad at me for this" he whispered.

"Mad at you? For what?"

Bono reached over to the wall beside her and pushed back one of the drapes. A small window was there, he pulled up on the shade and...

"Oh...."

Through the window she could see many city lights, but they were so tiny. Then there was the horizon, and the stars.

"Are we?..." she stuttered.

"We are" he whispered.

"Where?"

"The big apple."

"New York?"

"Yep"

Bono was utterly amused by her awestruck features. He was also incredibly pleased he'd managed to pull this off. He was used to living by the seat of his pants, but even this had been quite the endeavor.

"But I haven't any clothes with me"

"I packed some"

She glared at him.

"You did?"

"Yep"

She nodded, then a look a concern spread across her face but he answered before she had the chance to ask.

"The cat will be fine. He's been taken care of"

Once again she nodded.

"Is this.. yours?" She gestured at the inside of the plane.

He chuckled.

"In a matter of speaking."

"And that guy I presumed was the waiter that led us up the stairs?"

"The captain." He replied.

She could tell from the look in his eyes that he was so happy he'd gotten away with this and who was she to argue. She figured there were far, far worse things than having dinner with Bono on his own private jet. She'd have to thank him thoroughly later.

"Well then" and Bono returned to his seat across from her. "Let's get something into our bellies and then for dessert we can join the mile high club"

She tried not to look shocked at what he had said, but failed miserably.

"What's wrong dear? All it involves is filling out some forms. It's a great club, gives out really amazing rewards." Straight faced. How did he manage to say this with a straight face? "And the thing is, it's got frequent flyer points. So the more you fly, the higher you get."

Serena felt as though she was going to combust. Just then, an attendant came by and passed out menus and then left them to order. Serena let out an audible sigh of relief that caused Bono to smirk. She was acting shy again, which he found adorable.

"So, what are you hankering for?" He asked.

"Just about anything that's edible.. after.. " and she blushed a bit and then raised her eyes from the tablecloth to meet his gaze. "I haven't eaten anything since this morning. Have to say getting sprayed by a skunk kind of puts you off food."

"I imagine you're not in the mood for any kind of tomato soup either."

"That too."

Serena stared at the menu and couldn't for the life of her decide on what to pick. So she laid the menu on the table, closed her eyes, moved her finger around in the air a few times and then let it fall. Bono simply sat and watched with amused eyes.

"Have a hard time with decisions, do we?" He said.

"The finger swirl is a foolproof method. Oh well, maybe it's just for fools. At any rate, I'm ready to order." She grinned. The attendant returned and took their orders and menus and left a bottle of what was either wine or champagne. Serena wasn't exactly sure, she wasn't a big drinker. It was in a pretty green bottle, and it had a cork.. which Bono had just shot across the room, startling her as she jumped about two feet off the chair. He then poured two glasses of the bubbly stuff. Well, unless ginger ale was using much more impressive packing she hedged a bet that it was champagne. He raised his glass and she did the same, waiting to hear what he was going to toast.

"To rural women with thick heads."

"Err... cheers?"

He chuckled softly.

"Maybe I should try that again, hmm?" His glass was still raised and she once again wondered what he would say.. especially since he started with the obligatory funny line. The next part would be more serious.. wouldn't it?

"To fate.. and all the gifts that it brings with it"

Serena beamed and returned the toast before sipping the champagne, and then erupting in a fit of coughs after she breathed in a few of the bubbles. Yeesh.

"First time drinking champagne?" He asked, clearly amused.

"Same thing happens with ginger ale, it's just that there's usually no one around to see me make an arse of myself. Other than the cat, but he's used to that fact."

Serena leaned back in the cushy chair she was in and tried to take in the entire room. The little bits of turbulence making it so that the champagne never really rested, Bono's jacket slung behind his chair leaving just that open shirt and that chest. He'd done that on purpose, she was certain. The view out the window, which for the most part was dark but if she looked close enough she could make out the odd star here and there as they passed through clouds. She'd always enjoyed the sensation of flying and was quite intrigued with the fact that something so enormous could actually fly. Now, to even sweeten the joy of travel, she happened to have the best travel companion ever. Much better than her usual crossword puzzles that she usually wound up getting bored with and did more doodling in than actual solving. Bono, she was having dinner with Bono. She liked hearing his name. She said it over and over in her head.

"What's with the big smile?" asked Bono, catching her drifting mind and returning her back to reality. Which was fine by her.

"Oh. Just thinking"

He didn't ask further. She was sure he knew what she was on about. He simply grinned and nodded.

"So, what's in New York?" she asked.

"It's more like, what isn't in New York.... but well, you'll have to wait and see."

Serena pouted.

"You can't even give me a tinsy winsy hint?"

He took a large gulp from his glass and flashed her a somewhat mischievous but sincere look.

"Nope"

'Oh boy', she wondered, 'what on earth has he got in store for me now?'

--

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom