Thought I'd come here for some help ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Kitten said:
some unique blue ones I really like

98purple.jpg

wimband.jpg
anyone got a pic of the ones like these in orange?

Oh wow, you people are fantastic, especially U2Kitten for so many photos! I never knew Bono had worn that many glasses! And what a welcome too! Can anyone tell me why I was afraid to venture in here? Now that I've posted, I really don't know why. You're definitely a nice bunch of people.

I'm not quite sure where to start replying, but definitely some cool shades there. Those unique blue ones in particular caught my interest. I hope the glasses shop can help me out on this one, though it'll probably be quite weird walking in with these pages of photos I've printed off and asking "Got anything like these that you can put my prescription in?" I'd love to get some Fly glasses just for the fun of it, but I'm pretty sure they'd look awful on me.

Here's a very recent photo of me wearing my outdoor glasses (I have two pairs, an outdoor pair that I need tinted and a bifocal pair for indoors/reading);

Smaller_HD1.jpg

(It's awful and small, I know, but you could see my school's name in the full photo and I'm not comfortable posting that on a public messageboard)

That's my current pair at full tint - I have them so that they adjust tint with the sunlight. I'm not sure if I'll get my new pair like that or if I'll just get a pair with a permanent tint. I imagine a permanent tint would work best if I get something like what Bono's worn.

Here's a question: my favourite U2 era is pre-JT but from what I've seen, only Adam wore glasses then. I'd probably prefer to get something akin to pairs that have already been posted because they're identifiable as Bono shades, but are there any pairs from pre-JT that look good? I think I once saw a photo of War-era Edge wearing some cool shades ...

Personally, I think you could probably pull of a lot of them. The shape of your face seems similar to B's.
Looks like you will have a pretty tough desicion to make! :)

Here is one of Edge. I'm not sure if it's the one your talking about, though. I may have more. I'll see if I can dig some up. Sun glasses seemed to be more functional then, and less of a fashion statement. But I'm pretty sure there are some around.

edgesnow.jpg

It's great to have you in PLEBA! I hope you'll be back! :hug:

ylimeU2 said:
Personally, I think you could probably pull of a lot of them. The shape of your face seems similar to B's.

Well, I definitely hope you're right! Would be very cool to pull some of them off.

Thanks for posting that one of Edge; I'd forgotten about that one! It's not the one I was thinking of, though. I think someone here once had it as a signature, it's just a shot of Edge's face and I think his hair is about the length it is on UABRS.

It's great to have you in PLEBA! I hope you'll be back! :hug:

Thank you! After this warm welcome, I'll definitely be back. I was speaking to my friend yesterday, saying how I was about to post in PLEBA, and this is from our conversation today;

Me: By the way, breaking news: I love PLEBA.
My friend: *dies*
Me: Ha! But ... they're so nice!

:hug: to everyone here!

Last edited:
u2bonogirl said:
were really quite scary. its after you feel comfortable that we strike. :wink:

Oh, I'm cowering in fear right now. You know, I've never posted on PLEBA. Never in my life. Won't do it ever, either! Too afraid to go there!

... why don't you believe me?

Cool pic Axver! So you're looking for something like Bono's that are tinted like those? I think a lot of Bono's are tinted. I have always believed this pair is tinted eyeglasses and not shades:

mulberry2.jpg

There are pics where they are lighter or darker.

I didn't find any from pre-JT, I'll keep looking! :wave:

U2Kitten said:
So you're looking for something like Bono's that are tinted like those?

Well, I'm really not that fussed if they change tint or stay a single shade, though I'm used to a change in tint. I think what I'll do is print off photos of the Bono glasses I like the best, go to the glasses shop, see if they can help me out, and get some professional opinion on whether constant or changing tint is better for me.

I didn't find any from pre-JT, I'll keep looking! :wave:

If you do find anything, that would be cool! Do you - or anyone else - have any photos of the glasses Adam wore in the early days? A couple of people have said that when I let my hair 'fro out, I could pass for Adam if I tried, so I'm seriously thinking about going to a concert next year dressed up as early Adam ...

biff said:
It seems to have met with an accident.

I had to look at it a few times to figure out just what in the world was up with it. Hee, that photo amuses me tremendously.

I think they said Edge brought a homemade guitar to the first meeting, and was a weird looking thing. Maybe that's it!

yeah that's Edge and his brother's homemade guitar. I have an early U2 book that has that picture in it and there's a comment about how the guitar was made by Edge and Dik.

arw9797 said:
yeah that's Edge and his brother's homemade guitar. I have an early U2 book that has that picture in it and there's a comment about how the guitar was made by Edge and Dik.

Ha, that's great! Oh wow, that's the funniest guitar ever. Go Edge and Dik!

Well, unfortunately I have some bad news. I went to the optometrist today, and with my prescription, there's absolutely no way I could get some Bono/U2 glasses. Even if they could make them, the thickness of the glass would cause them to be too heavy to wear.

Sigh ... I'm quite disappointed ...

Though I am seriously thinking about tracking down some prescriptionless wraparound glasses like Bono's and wearing them when I don't need to see all too well.

Axver said:
Well, unfortunately I have some bad news. I went to the optometrist today, and with my prescription, there's absolutely no way I could get some Bono/U2 glasses. Even if they could make them, the thickness of the glass would cause them to be too heavy to wear.

:(

Aww, I wish there could've been a loophole around it. A pair U2 glasses would've been really cool to have. :yes:

Axver said:
I am seriously thinking about tracking down some prescriptionless wraparound glasses like Bono's and wearing them when I don't need to see all too well.

:up:

:cool:

Last edited:
Axver said:

Sigh ... I'm quite disappointed ...

Though I am seriously thinking about tracking down some prescriptionless wraparound glasses like Bono's and wearing them when I don't need to see all too well.

That's too bad. Oh well, I'm sure you'll find something great, anyway. :hug: That is the really bad part of wearing glasses. You just can't do what you would like to do. I wore glasses for years, and they finally came out with contacts that would correct my vision problems.

I did the sunglasses thing when I didn't need to see! Just have someone who is really honest tell you how really they look! I see some pictures of me in the ones I thought I looked good in, but when viewed under clear vision, I looked pretty hilarious. But atleast I had the excuse that I couldn't see when I picked them out!

Queen Bee said:
:(

Aww, I wish there could've been a loophole around it. A pair U2 glasses would've been really cool to have. :yes:

Yeah, there was utterly no way to do it. I suppose if I'd walked in there with a cheque for plenty of thousands of dollars, they could've used some awesome technology and made something, but I'm not exactly on the wealthy side.

Originally posted by ylimeU2
That is the really bad part of wearing glasses. You just can't do what you would like to do. I wore glasses for years, and they finally came out with contacts that would correct my vision problems.

I did the sunglasses thing when I didn't need to see! Just have someone who is really honest tell you how really they look! I see some pictures of me in the ones I thought I looked good in, but when viewed under clear vision, I looked pretty hilarious. But atleast I had the excuse that I couldn't see when I picked them out!

I wish they'd come out with contacts for me, though I hate to think how thick they'd be - my reading glasses are seven millimetres thick as it is. I'm hoping the sunglasses thing works, I'll trial it, but my vision's that bad that I may not be able to do a whole lot without my normal glasses on. If they're the right shape, I could always wear sunglasses over the top of my normal pair and no-one would ever know.

Heh, I love looking back at some of my old glasses. Some are so bad. My mother's normally pretty honest about my glasses and I usually get her to choose my glasses for me, though too often she turns around and says "what do you think?" I just grin at her and say something sarcastic such as "Oh, and I can really see to tell you, can't I?"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom