This needs to stop!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAW

The Flower
We just had another earthquake here a few seconds ago, the third one in 12 hours and I don't like it one bit
frown.gif

I'll take the snow in the east anyday over this.

Originally posted by Bono's American Wife:
We just had another earthquake here a few seconds ago, the third one in 12 hours and I don't like it one bit
frown.gif

sounds scary!, i pray that you guys will be alright tonight. ((hug))

------------------
*+*MaRiA*+*
she is the dreamer, she's imagination...

And, you know what's scary?

I felt it all the way in Long Beach. I was talking to a friend of mine on the phone and saw the computer desk move and my plant move. I thought it was the wind because the plant was swaying a bit from the breeze coming through the open window, then I thought, uh, wait a sec.... wind does not move an entire computer desk.

I just felt the one that was at about 1:00 or so. I hate earthquakes. You wanna see one freaked out Moonie, just make the ground move beneath me. I *FREAK OUT*.

I remember a business call I was on to Florida one day. While I was talking, the earth started moving. I freaked out on the phone. Here's the conversation that went on:

"OHMYGAWD!!!! We're having an earthquake."

"Where 're ya callin' from?"

"California. EEEK!"

"How long have ya lived there?"

"All my life."

"Weeeeell, don'tcha think ya ought ta be used ta them by now?"

Ha freakin' ha. I've never been through a tornado, a hurricane, or a flood.... but I'd take the first two over the earthquake. At least there's some sort of warning (albeit a short one for the tornado) - at least I have time to run and take cover. Earthquakes don't really give you that option.

Freaked out Moonie

Oh Moonie, I'm so glad you know how I feel!

I felt the first jolt and did just what you're not supposed to do.. I ran through my house like an idiot yelling "earthquake"
biggrin.gif

I just found out it was a 3.2 practically under my house, 3 miles WSW of Yorba Linda.

If you felt it in Long Beach, I know it was a good one
frown.gif

Yeah... I've done that.

actually, the Northridge quake threw me off my couch and I was living in Downey at the time.

I can't help but wonder when the next biggie hits - we haven't had one in quite some time. The last one where I truly truly freaked out was that one that hit at 3:00 AM on October 17.... I think it was 1999. It just went on and on and on and on. Didn't help much that I was sleeping in a freakin' waterbed.
biggrin.gif

What I don't like most about earthquakes is the rumble that precedes them. You can hear this echoing rumble start and it sounds like the earth is creaking. I just hate it.

Moonie

weird, i didnt feel it at all. but then again, ive been known to sleep through earthquakes. what time was it at? maybe i was driving...

alison

------------------
It doesn't matter what songs we sing. I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me. - Larry

There was an earthquake here (Indiana) once, about twelve years ago when I was six.
Cos evidently there's a fault line round here, I learned about it last semester.
My mom accused me of shaking the table.
When I went to Pasadena to be in the Rose Bowl Parade last year, everyone was praying for one while we were there.
Tornados aren't fun. Usually they hit before you even hear the sirens. Never live in a trailer park in the midwest, I think tornados go for them specifically. Six touched down in this area during a storm last fall, about three trailer parks were leveled.
Never be in a classroom full of meterology students during a storm. They're insane.
Wow, I'm rambling. Back to the point.
I sorry you're having earthquakes, I hope they stop soon.

------------------
~ALOTWU!~
"It never ceases to amaze me. Here, we have a man who claims professes to enjoy flower arranging, has no qualms over donning a skirt at any given time and, now we learn, prefers to use the ladies' restroom. And yet somehow he manages to embody all that is masculine and sexy. I don't know how he does it. " ~Hallelujah Here She Comes, about Adam

redface.gif
jesus, ive never been in an earth quake. ye poor ppl. ill pray 4 ye 2

------------------
i'm already gone, felt that way all along

u glorify the past while the future dries up.

Originally posted by moon_is_playing_tricks:

I've never been through a tornado

I've been through both, and I'll take the earthquakes, thanks. I've been in the Northridge eq (in Orange County), the Whittier eq, Landers double quakes, and countless aftershocks. I've spent all night in the basement waiting for the tornado to stop, and I've been snowed in for days, unable to get to the top of my street.

I live in California, not Omaha anymore. Earthquakes creep me out, but tornados scare the shit out of me.

------------------

She's a little lightheaded, so check on her in a few minutes -- my podiatrist, about me (again), 2-11-02

jesus, i feel so fortunate. i live in ireland and the worst weather we ever get is a big storm!!! we still complain about it though

------------------
what you dont have you dont need it now

Originally posted by moon_is_playing_tricks:
Yeah... I've done that.

actually, the Northridge quake threw me off my couch and I was living in Downey at the time.

I can't help but wonder when the next biggie hits - we haven't had one in quite some time. The last one where I truly truly freaked out was that one that hit at 3:00 AM on October 17.... I think it was 1999. It just went on and on and on and on. Didn't help much that I was sleeping in a freakin' waterbed.
biggrin.gif

What I don't like most about earthquakes is the rumble that precedes them. You can hear this echoing rumble start and it sounds like the earth is creaking. I just hate it.

Moonie

OMD Moonie! The sound IS worse than the shaking. You can hear it in the walls and you just know what's coming next. AAAHHHHH! At least we didn't have any in the middle of the night this time. I know you felt the one at 1:00 but we also had one near Fullerton at around 11:30 a.m. and the one I felt last night was just before 10:00 p.m.

I've been through all of them too, lived in SoCal my whole life. Northridge and Whittier were just unbelievable, I truly thought we were all going to die
frown.gif

Let's hope those 3 yesterday weren't a sign of bigger things to come. Oh crap, I'm scaring myself!

I feel the Earth move under my feet...

Sorry! I will refrain from the Carole King karoke.

(((hugs))) Take care, it will be okay.

------------------
"I have a dragon, and I know how to use it. I'm a donkey on the edge!" -Shrek

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

Originally posted by madonna's child:
I feel the Earth move under my feet...

Sorry! I will refrain from the Carole King karoke.

(((hugs))) Take care, it will be okay.

no no, karake away, I like it!
biggrin.gif

Thank you for your concern too! I really should clarify that we didn't have a huge, damage causing quake, just a nerve-rattling series of smaller ones. Everyone and everything is okay but I tend to freak and think the world is coming to end! I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I know after 35 years I should be used to them but I like my earth standing still, not rocking and rolling
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Bono's American Wife (edited 03-17-2002).]

earthquakes...boo that....at least you don't have tornadoes. those suck.

------------------
Every question possesses a power that does not lie in the answer.

Thank you for your concern too! I really should clarify that we didn't have a huge, damage causing quake, just a nerve-rattling series of smaller ones. Everyone and everything is okay but I tend to freak and think the world is coming to end! I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I know after 35 years I should be used to them but I like my earth standing still, not rocking and rolling
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Bono's American Wife (edited 03-17-2002).]

I think I'd been freaking out like you were. I've never been in an earthquake before, but it doesn't seem like something, "You just get used to."

------------------
Daisy

Uncertainty...it can be a guiding light

AIM: daisyone75

http://communities.msn.com/Piccies

Last year there was an earthquake in North Bend...the scary part was that it happened when I was eating lunch at school, and someone spilled chocolate milk on me as I was diving under the table.
rolleyes.gif
lol

I hate earthquakes...

------------------
*~*Phuzzie*~*

*Owner of the BonoDoll*

"No, I will not do the snake dance for you!" ~ Bono after the post-Super Bowl party

WARNING: Insanity is highly contagious!

My U2 Site

"I don't usually come across as a very deep person, but really I am deep. I'm deep when I need to be. When I'm frustrated I'll let all my feelings out, I'll be deep. So let me be deep, but don't get me frustrated." ~ Me, when asked how I could write such a deep response to the meaning of "Beautiful Day"

frown.gif

no need to go all the way east, just come one state over (AZ) & you'll never havta worry 'bout earthquakes, tornados, etc. ....all we have is brain scortching heat (which is not very pleasant
frown.gif
)

------------------
' I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name. . .'
.:. U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

Love is...cold steel/Fingers too numb to feel/Squeeze the handle/Blow out the candle
Love is blindness.../A little death/Without mourning/No call/And no warning...

[Thanks Coach P]

Speaking of the Whittier Narrows quake:

I was a freshman in high school, and my best friend and her brother had just gotten on the school bus. He sits down and the bus starts rocking from side to side. I looked at him and said, "Jim! Stop rocking the bus!" Then I looked outside and all the telephone poles across the street were moving back and forth, the birds had taken flight, and my bus driver, Mrs. Grow (bless her heart, she was awesome) fought valiantly to get the big yellow school bus into the emergency brake. I started laughing because I was so scared, I didn't know what else to do.

I felt the aftershocks all day at school (my school was in Cerritos) and went home to find my room in shambles (I lived in Downey at the time). You see, this earthquake I remember most because it was two days before my birthday and the nasty aftershock we had that next Sunday was a day after my birthday. I'll never forget the date of Whittier Narrows: October 1, 1987. Freak out city.

My bedroom faced north and got the worst of it. My mom lost a lot of her antique plates and the dogs were found hiding under my bed. Poor guys. What's really odd is my mom had antique crystal in one of those really beautiful display cases. It was nestled in the corner of two walls. Not one thing in that display case broke. Freakin' amazing.

I know I choose to live in California, but holy freakin' cow... I hate the sound, the *feel* of the earth swaying and shaking beneath me. I went to a science museum where they had an earthquake simulator. Stupid me actually went on it. Let's just say I was shaking so bad when I got off that I ended up going home.
frown.gif
The sound scares me most, because it's like you can hear the earth rumbling and the sound reaches you before the movement does.... then after the movement stops, the earth is still rumbling and it's deadly quiet. All the animals stop, and the world seems to have stopped.

EEK. Sorry for freaking everybody out. You're right Martha, I don't think I'd want to go through a tornado. I wouldn't want to go through a hurricane, either. I do find plate techtonics fascinating, but holy freakin' cow, I don't want to go through the plate techtonics.
biggrin.gif

Moonie
biggrin.gif

Moonie, your post just brought it all back to me! I was 20 when the Whittier Narrows quake happened. I lived in Anaheim and had a 2 year old and my baby was 4 months old that day. I was actually in bed, breastfeeding my baby with my back against the wall and I could hear the quake roaring in the wall before the shaking started! I was terrified because I was home alone with my 2 kids. I just unlatched my baby
smile.gif
and grabbed the 2 year old and ran for my life with my boob hanging out! It was just panic for the rest of the day after that with all the aftershocks. Why do we live here again
biggrin.gif

I'm from the midwest, so I been near plenty of tornadoes. They SUCK. They scare the crap outta me.

I've witnessed a few earthquakes , being a fairly new Southern Californian, but nothing major. The one at 3am in 99 was pretty weird though. I can't imagine the magnitude of the Northridge quake. If I experience that, I'll probably be trailing my butt back to Missouri faster than you can imagine!

Originally posted by oktobergirl:
I'm from the midwest, so I been near plenty of tornadoes. They SUCK. They scare the crap outta me.

I've witnessed a few earthquakes , being a fairly new Southern Californian, but nothing major. The one at 3am in 99 was pretty weird though. I can't imagine the magnitude of the Northridge quake. If I experience that, I'll probably be trailing my butt back to Missouri faster than you can imagine!

My Dad lives in Oklahoma and I always worry about him when I hear about a big tornado in his area but so far he's been lucky and hasn't had any major damage. When I was back visiting him last month, I got to see my first tornado shelter and we took pictures of my sister and I coming out of it (weird I know but we've never seen one!) I hope that's the closest I ever get to a tornado
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom