The Writer's Club - Snowed In, Chapter 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zuropa_fit

Blue Crack Addict
Short, as usual. Hope you like it. The era is still up in the air.

Edge tried not to look over the rim of his cup of tea at Helen, who glared across the table at him. He started to ask if he might trouble her for some milk, looked at the scowl on her face and thought better of it. Slurp. Silence. Slurp. In the other room, the talkative one had cornered Bono and was asking him a million questions. He was only too happy to have a captive audience.

Larry and Adam were smoking out on the front porch. Despite the fact that they’d just gotten warm, Larry was more comfortable outside. They danced around a little, stamping their feet, trying to keep from freezing. They didn’t know someone was sitting on the couch just on the other side of the window behind them and could hear every word.

“This is very fucking weird.”

“Relax.”

“Relax?! One of ‘em had a bloody shotgun!”

“How’d you recognize her anyway?”

“Unlike some people, I read the paper, and not just the arts and leisure section either.”

“And this story stood out to you because…?” Adam raised his eyebrows at his drummer friend, who was known in the band for his propensity for the willowy blonde ones.

“Because it was bloody weird. They get married. He’s arrested but the charges don’t stick as usual. And then, days after his release, she just disappears.”

“So it wasn’t the fact that she’s blonde and beautiful?”

“Hell no. If you saw this guy… You should have seen the statement he made after she went missing. He was just so calculated and cold-“

“Speaking of cold-“ the female voice behind them made Larry jump and drop his cigarette in the snow.

“Fuck! Jaysus! Crap! You scared me!” Adam smirked. He was sure Anna knew they were talking about her.

“Speaking of cold, aren’t you? You can smoke inside if you really want. You guys have to be freezing out here.”

Adam grinned in what he perceived to be a gentlemanly way. “We’re fine out here, really.”

“Well, in that case, you got one of those for me?”

“Sure.” Adam took his pack of smokes out of his pocket and shook one loose for her. She took it and licked both her lips before putting the cigarette between them, and then waited expectantly. Adam watched her like a hawk circling, looked into her huge blue eyes and without ever looking away, fumbled in his pockets for his lighter. She took a drag and exhaled deeply before breaking eye contact with the bass player.

“Aw, Jaysus. You’ve got to be kidding me.” Larry mumbled under his breath. A little louder he said to no one in particular, “It’s cold as fuck out here. I’m goin’ in.” And then to his friend he said, “You watch yourself, Clayton.”

“Always.” He grinned. And as the door was closing “Unless there’s someone else to do it for me.”

She may be beautiful, Larry thought, heck, “may be” nothing, she was gorgeous. But there’s no way he was going to get near that mess with a 10 foot pole. What Adam did with his pole was his own business.

He took one look at the girl gushing all over Bono and headed into the kitchen. Maybe things wouldn’t look so bad after a drink.

“Mind if I make myself a drink?”

“Help yourself.” The one at the table said, without taking her eyes off Edge.

Larry opened a few cupboards: bowls, plates, spices. “Erm…”

“Up top. On your left.”

“Thanks.” He found a glass, got some ice and then looked around for something to put in it. Slurp. Silence. “Uh…”

“Living room. Under the TV cabinet.”

“Thanks. Um, Edge. Care to join me in the living room?” Better the babbling fan than the death glare from the one who’d had the gun.

“Absolutely.” He almost jumped up out of his seat to join Larry. By now Bono and the hyperactive one had been joined by the other girl – Larry was awful with names. The lead singer was used to such attention and didn’t mind at all the two young girls on either side of him. Larry didn’t really want to engage anyone in conversation anyway so he set about finding the liquor cabinet. Edge looked at the three people squeezed together on the couch and chose to get comfortable in the easy chair across from them.

“Oh my God, Edge. I still can’t believe you’re here. I mean what are the chances? Wait. Is it okay that I call you Edge? I mean…” Kaylee was babbling like an idiot, she know but, as much as she tried, she couldn’t stop her mouth.

“Yeah, Edge is fine.”

“Even his mother calls him The Edge, you know.” Bono grinned The girls had heard Bono use that line before on stage but still giggled like, well, girls.

“So we were thinking of going out skiing tomorrow, if it stops snowing. I’m sure my dad’s got a couple extra pairs of skis and boots out in the garage if you wanna join us.” Tricia said hopefully.

Bono grinned at her. “That’d be lovely, I’m sure.”

Edge remember their reason for the trip in the first place. “Is the nature preserve far from here? I’ve heard there are over 100 species of birds…”

“Yeah, it’d be lovely, if our truck wasn’t stuck out by the road in a ditch somewhere.” Larry slammed the cabinet door, having found the whiskey. He looked in the bottle wondering if there was enough whiskey in the world to sooth him tonight.

The front door opened and Anna and Adam joined the little party in the living room, hovering on the fringes.

“I’m sure if I called Daddy in the morning he could send someone out.”

Helen emerged from the kitchen just then. “You are NOT calling your father. We’ve discussed this, Trish.”

“Oh yeah. Oops. Forgot.”

“We could ski out to the truck and see if the lot of us couldn’t figure out how to get it, well, un-stuck.” Kaylee offered helpfully “I could help you, if you’ve never done it before.” She said to Edge. He blushed. Geez, she was young enough to be his… well his… she was young, lets just say that.

“If we’re going skiing tomorrow, I think I’ll hit the hay.” Anna said, heading upstairs, looking not a bit tired.

After listening to Bono soaking up Tricia and Kaylee’s fan babble for a couple more minutes Adam quietly excused himself and headed upstairs.

Helen watched him leave suspiciously. “Do you need me to show you to one of the guest rooms?”

“I think I can find what I need.” He tried not to grin as he swaggered up the stairs. Neither the grin nor the swagger went unnoticed by Helen, who also noticed the sound of a couple doors opening and closing, then a muffled conversation, some laughter and then quiet. There were only two people missing from this little party and Helen was far from naïve.

Edge was the next to go and Larry had since found the quiet haven of the den. Helen, mother hen of them all, wasn’t about to leave the suave lead singer with her two friends who were reduced to drooling chattering monkeys, giggling at everything he said and making every excuse to put a hand on his arm or his thigh. It’s not that she couldn’t see the appeal. She just knew they had enough to deal with, without getting tangled in with this lot.

Finally, long past midnight, she didn’t feel like babysitting any longer and made a comment about getting some sleep if there was any possibility of a ski trip out to the truck or the nature center, staring both girls down, eyebrows raised. Reluctantly, the girls agreed.

“’Night Bono.” Kaylee and Tricia giggled simultaneously.

“Oh my God, I can’t believe we just said goodnight to BONO!”

“I know! I’m never going to get to sleep.”

Bono had an idea of what they could do if they didn’t plan on sleeping but one look at Helen and he kept his yap shut and kicked off his shoes. This wouldn’t be his first night sleeping on a couch, lord knows. He considered going into the den to see what Larry was up to but didn’t feel like dealing with The Scowl. He snuggled down into the cushions and was soon dreaming of snow bunnies.

*passes the baton*

:applaud: Excellent Zooey!

I can't believe Adam and Anna went upstairs together!!

"What Adam did with his pole was his own business." :lmao:

Who's next, who's next???

Ah! thanks for the explanation. Anna is a beautiful name. And international as well.

Back
Top Bottom