The Six Degrees of.... GAVIN FRIDAY?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J-Tree

War Child
Okay... call me stupid... but who the hell is Gavin Friday?

Aside from being confidante of Bono, friend of U2, artist, former Virgin Prune, and musician...
confused.gif

I just don't get it.
confused.gif

Am I supposed to get it?

123.jpg

------------------
Hip Pontiff of Sparkyism

"There's no room for spiritual constitpation here!" - Ian Astbury, The Cult

SlipStream Soul

Originally posted by J-Tree:
Okay... call me stupid... but who the hell is Gavin Friday?

Aside from being confidante of Bono, friend of U2, artist, former Virgin Prune, and musician...
confused.gif

I think most U2 fans know him as all of the above
smile.gif
I mean you just described him yourself

Well, he is:
VQ57059.jpg

and...
Q685079.jpg

but most of all:
Ou71590.jpg

------------------
I want to play guitar very badly and I do play guitar very badly - Mr. B
anim.gif

time exists just on your wrist so don't panic...

[This message has been edited by madzia (edited 10-25-2001).]

Originally posted by madzia:
Well, he is:
VQ57059.jpg

and...
Q685079.jpg

but most of all:
Ou71590.jpg

So, u mean, they are like, rrreally close friends?
biggrin.gif
Does Reg know about their relationship??

biggrin.gif

------------------
Zooming in
Zooming out
Nothing I can't do without
A lens to see it all up close
Magnifying what no one knows
Never in company
Never alone
No car alarm
No cellular phone
- Adam Clayton / Passengers

***Sparky's Whore***

RSOC's Sparky Shrine

Originally posted by CatDubh:

So, u mean, they are like, rrreally close friends?
biggrin.gif
Does Reg know about their relationship??

biggrin.gif

I think he knows but ins't very happy about it

Jr25989.jpg

------------------
I want to play guitar very badly and I do play guitar very badly - Mr. B
anim.gif

time exists just on your wrist so don't panic...

[This message has been edited by madzia (edited 10-25-2001).]

Wouldn't you love to be in the middle of that man sandwich?
Originally posted by madzia:
Well, he is:
VQ57059.jpg

------------------
Jessica

"Rock and roll doggie"
--Bono

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

?We make music you can have sex to.?
--Bono

?Never trust a man who tells you it's from the heart, never trust a man smoking a cigar, never trust a cowboy or a man who wears shades.?
--Bono

LMAO ... Manwich!
as-boing.gif

For those who haven't had the pleasure of hearing Gavin's music, I would highly recommend tracking dowsn "Shag Tobacco." Talk about sexy ... it's just as sexy as If You Wear that Velvet Dress.

Originally posted by blueeyes:
Originally posted by JessicaAnn:
Wouldn't you love to be in the middle of that man sandwich?

I believe the correct term is "manwich"...
=Bluey of DOOM

------------------
Jessica

"Rock and roll doggie"
--Bono

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

--Bono

?Never trust a man who tells you it's from the heart, never trust a man smoking a cigar, never trust a cowboy or a man who wears shades.?
--Bono

AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! J-TREE!!

GAVIN is the coolest, hottest, hippest crooner since...well, since all those *other* cabaret style singers!
wink.gif

He is the dark side of the coin to Bono's light side. They are best friends, they balance each other out, play off one another, are there for each other. Gavin is confrontational whereas Bono is consiliatory.

Unfort. fortune hasn't smiled as favorably on Gavin as on U2 (they've all been friends since childhood), but he's kept plenty busy doing soundtracks, painting, etc. It has been noted by many critics that Gavin is one of the THE MOST underrated singers/performers ever to come out of the UK area, and is quite brilliant.

Gavin has been very influential to U2 as well, as Gavin's stage act during the 80s/early 90s is where Bono pretty much stole his whole MacPhisto act and falsetto schtick from.
wink.gif

If you haven't heard any of his music, I strongly advise you to track down his three (yes, sadly, ONLY three!) CDs:

*Each Man Kills the Think He Loves
*Shag Tobacco (AWESOME)
*Adam n' Eve (also awesome!)

He's currently working on a 4th album-- thank God!--that should be out shortly, and it will be based on the music of Kurt Weil. He JUST (just last week!) got through performing 6 nights at the Tivoli theater in Dublin, doing his show "Ich Liebe Dich" ("I Love You" in German); it was sold out every night. He got great reviews for that as well.

Seriously. Check him out everyone. His wonderful website is www.gavinfriday.com, of course. You won't be disappointed. Gavin's music is like SEX FOR YOUR EARS!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Disco
-----
Resident Gavinophile

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 10-25-2001).]

Originally posted by Discoteque:
If you haven't heard any of his music, I strongly advise you to track down his three (yes, sadly, ONLY three!) CDs:

*Each Man Kills the Think He Loves
*Shag Tobacco (AWESOME)
*Adam n' Eve (also awesome!)

So of those 3, which is best?
smile.gif

------------------
Hip Pontiff of Sparkyism

SlipStream Soul

I would go with Shag Tobacco ...

So of those 3, which is best?
smile.gif

------------------
Jessica

"Rock and roll doggie"
--Bono

--Bono

--Bono

--Bono

Originally posted by u2utah:
Gavin is also credited with saving WOWY. U2 wanted to scrap it and he convinced them to keep working on it
biggrin.gif

I heard on the Making of the Joshua Tree that one of the engineers almost deleted it... or was that one of the producers?

Oh no, wasn't that Streets or something?
confused.gif

------------------
Hip Pontiff of Sparkyism

SlipStream Soul

[This message has been edited by J-Tree (edited 10-25-2001).]

I heard on the Making of the Joshua Tree that one of the engineers almost deleted it... or was that one of the producers?

Oh no, wasn't that Streets or something?
confused.gif

It was Streets. Eno wanted to delete what they recorded and just start over rather than spending all the time it would take to fix it. He was going to make it look like an accident
wink.gif

Apparently it took a long time to get it right.

*SCOFF*

23 years??? try going without him for 40, Bluemeister!
biggrin.gif
Bwahahahahaha!!

Er...um...well, seeing as Gavin's my age, and only started performing in the 80s...um...lesse....*mind races over mathmatical hurdles to continue with thought process*...um, well, maybe I've only been missing him for about 23 years as well. Heh. *shrug*

Ow... *brain hurts from too much math*

p.s. try Amazon for those CDs...they're very rare and sometimes hard to find.

Disco

DEAR LORD!
How have I missed out on this guy for 23 years? I am running out and buying all three RIGHT NOW!!!
Sweet mother of GOD!
-Bluey

Oh. My.
192.jpg

I lucked out yesterday. After reading this thread I got in my car and drove to a second hand record store where I got Shag Tobacco and each Man kills The Thing He Loves for $14.00 for both! Someone up there likes me!
I have been listening to Shag Tobacco for almost 24hrs straight....LORD!
Possibly one of my favorite cds ever. I just LOVE it, I mean I have deep intense feelings for this cd. Wow.
I love everything on that disc...it's so good it's just frightening...
Stand back ladies,
I've been Gavin-ized!
-Bluey

------------------
"It costs a fortune to look this trashy." - Bono.
Bluephisto

Originally posted by The Riddler:
192.jpg

That's a good pic but why does the crowd look asleep? Kidding, *banging computer cause my little mp3 downloading program keeps crashing on me* I thought his voice was amazing on that Children of Revolution track for Moulin Rouge. 2 amazing voices in one song, I think it's killer.

Well here's the duo at it again.

bo-all4.jpg

They're such kids I feel sorry for their parents, imagine when they were younger, what a handful.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Must. Re. Apply. For. Job. At. Music. Store.

Hey ladies, I think I see panty lines!
biggrin.gif

192.jpg

------------------
Hip Pontiff of Sparkyism

SlipStream Soul

[This message has been edited by J-Tree (edited 10-26-2001).]

He looks kinds like that guy from the Monkees. YOU KNOW which one I mean.

------------------
~*Mona*~the Shamrock n rolla!
"We got the soul - we got the honey"-Bush

TURN EACH SONG INTO A PRAYER

I have been listening to Shag Tobacco for almost 24hrs straight....LORD!
Possibly one of my favorite cds ever.

Amen! I too love Shag Tobacco, and it's way up there on my Big List, above even a hefty amount of U2 stuff.

I saw Gavin in Boston earlier this year. He got out of a car with Bono. Someone else had my camera, and I was going "Quick! Quick! Take a picture of that man!" But all I got was his backside:

ZP68365.jpg

LMAO! Whenever I look at that pic, I think, "Hike 'em up, Gav!!"

I've always been sorry I missed his last tour, back in 1996, but he just did clubs in the US, and I was 17, so I couldn't get in. I hear, though, that not only does he do a fab show, but he also does some amazing tricks with his tongue and a bottle!

Also, I love Bono, but it's kind of silly how badly he wants to be Gavin. Someone mentioned how Gavin's music sounds like Velvet Dress -- well -- guess which one came first! So it's really that Velvet Dress sounds like Gavin. Actually, the first time I heard Velvet Dress, I just about rolled my eyes at what a blatant attempt it is by Bono to sound like Gav! Ah, but it just endears Bono to me that much more.
smile.gif

------------------
and I must be an acrobat to talk like this and act like that

[This message has been edited by u2zed (edited 10-27-2001).]

Mickey Dolanz?!

*scoffs*

heh I don't know all their names! I'll know him when I see him, though. Who has Monkees pics?!

------------------
~*Mona*~the Shamrock n rolla!

"Most of our organization is run by women. We sort of work for them, really!" ~BonoBaby~

TURN EACH SONG INTO A PRAYER

YAAAAY!!!!! BLUEY!!!!!! Um...can you see if there's any extra copies of Each Man...??? I've been looking for that CD for AGES!

Oh. My.
I lucked out yesterday. After reading this thread I got in my car and drove to a second hand record store where I got Shag Tobacco and each Man kills The Thing He Loves for $14.00 for both! Someone up there likes me!
I have been listening to Shag Tobacco for almost 24hrs straight....LORD! Possibly one of my favorite cds ever. I just LOVE it, I mean I have deep intense feelings for this cd. Wow.
I love everything on that disc...it's so good it's just frightening...
Stand back ladies,
I've been Gavin-ized!
-Bluey

I KNOW! I KNOW! I TOLD YOU!!! *jumps around apt. gleefully*
biggrin.gif
I'm the SAME way...I got ST and could NOT stop playing it for months...in fact *true confession time* even now, I continue to listen and enjoy Gavin's stuff more than U2! (don't hurt me) Gavin's stuff really affected me as well...like a karate kick to the brain. ST and Adam & Eve are two of my favorites CDs ever as well.

Like I said, his stuff is like sex for your ears...Bluey, I highly advise you to listen to Gav with *headphones* because you will pick up subtle nuances and sounds such as Gavin saying, *very quietly* at the beginning of Caruso: "no, I'm not myself today."

Uhuhuhuhhhh...<<<shiver>>> He just paints these amazingly sensual and erotic aural pictures...and he's SOOO...deep and DARK. Heh. I kinda like that. I think that's why I like lurking int he MacPhistop club as well (sorry it's only beel lurk mode lately)

Bluey, would love to know what you think of Each Man, dahling! Welcome to HEAVEN?
smile.gif
(that's the name of the Yahoo group devoted to Gavin)

Disco

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 10-27-2001).]

Bit of Gavin trivia for the newbies... that's Gavin's wife holding the stronzophone on the back cover of ST. Like Bono, Gavin has been with the same woman since they were teenagers.
biggrin.gif

------------------
lovely, lovely, love me
with dreams, with drugs
with lipstick and la rouge

[This message has been edited by u2zed (edited 10-27-2001).]

I also recommend checking out Gavin's soundtrack work: In the Name of the Father and The Boxer. He and Bono did the title track for in the name of the father, and Gav's intro song for the boxer is hard core.

------------------
lovely, lovely, love me
with dreams, with drugs
with lipstick and la rouge

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Must find Gavin's cd's!!!!!
I've already scoped out 3 music stores in Calgary! ARGH!!!

------------------
Hip Pontiff of Sparkyism

SlipStream Soul

Back
Top Bottom