The Roots are singing U2 songs on TV right now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
B MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

I have to admit I never really saw him getting this award...but i'm glad its being taken so far...his speech seems to be on autopilot

Last edited:
I have seen Bono speak many times in person on behalf of DATA and ONE, some of these speaking engagements were in front of predominantly African-American audiences.

What people saw tonight is the effect that speaking to predominantly African-American audiences have on Bono.

Before I leave for the night, let me repost a reply that I posted in BLOG(RED) about Bono receiving the NAACP IMAGE AWARD:

I think it goes without saying that Bono more than deserves this award. He has a lifetime of activism for Africa and her diaspora, including African-Americans.

His lifetime Love and respect for both Coretta Scott King and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr is legendary. His admiration of African-Americans from such diverse backgrounds as Muhammed Ali, B.B. King, John Coltrane, Rep. John Lewis (yea!), Miles Davis, Quincy Jones, Billie Holiday, Oprah Winfrey, Barack Obama (if I can refer to their meeting the other day in Obama's DC office), etc is well-documented.

What makes Bono's connection to the African experience so UNIQUE, no matter where he seems to find it in the world, is that the connection isn't just theoretical or philosophical - it is VISCERAL.

Bono FEELS the pain and suffering of Africa and her diaspora - it is written all over his face and in the tone of the words he uses. And the People recognize this and respond to it.

I have seen Bono's AMAZING RELATIONSHIP WITH THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITY WITH MY OWN EYES. I was in Atlanta in Jan. 2004 when Bono was honored by the King Center and received their "Salute to Excellence" Award from our dearly beloved Coretta (that was a magical day). I was there in Memphis in Oct. 2004 when Bono and Rep. John Lewis were honored by the National Civil Rights Museum as their "Passion for Change" Award recipients.

And I will be there in spirit on Friday night to watch Bono receive the NAACP Image Award. A BIG PIECE OF MY HEART will go with him up onstage as he receives yet another award from the African diaspora - and draws closer in his Heart to the People from whom he has always drawn his source of Strength and Inspiration.

As someone who began my Love and Respect for Africa some thrity years ago; as someone who was a student organizer on campus during the anti-apartheid movement of the 1980's and as someone who has been apart of Bono's efforts for Africa ever since the early days of the "Drop the Debt" movement, ie DATA, ONE, EDUN, (RED) - I want to express my IMMENSE JOY at this award and simply say "THANK YOU, BONO".

Take very good care of each other. Blessings forever.

ALWAYS (RED) AT HEART, debbie

PS: It is a bit amazing that this ceremony is taking the same weekend as we remember the tragic anniversary of the American "Bloody Sunday". The fact that Ireland and the U.S. both share Bloody Sundays seems to be yet another thread that connects Bono to the African-American experience.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad that so many people finally got to see this side of Bono.

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug: :bonodrum: :angel:

yes it was amazing i almost got emotional too.. and then when the Pursuit of Happyness won at the end WOW! I dont believe i have told anyone here this but I went and saw Chris Gardner speak Feb 1st and in the question and answering session at the end I told him and the room and other watchers about the ONE campaign and asked him about what his company is doing for the fair trade and diseases striking Africa.. an amazing opportunity and I hope sitting in the audience tonight and hearing Bono speak that my words popped back up in his memory and I do tell you from his amazing speech Chris has a vast memory..and look ive derailed off the topic.. sorry

Bono was fabulous tonight!!

Jamila said:

PS: It is a bit amazing that this ceremony is taking the same weekend as we remember the tragic anniversary of the American "Bloody Sunday". The fact that Ireland and the U.S. both share Bloody Sundays seems to be yet another thread that connects Bono to the African-American experience.

What is the American "Bloody Sunday" anniversary of this weekend? I'm sorry, but I'm completely drawing a blank right now :reject:. I'm sure it's something obvious that I am just forgetting.

American Bloody sunday.. um wait is this weekend the Kent "anniversary" of the shooting? or are you referring to the 60's black marches?

yep thats what i was thinking you referred too.. we spent alot of time watching videos on this in 10th grade.. and every time they said bloody sunday i thought of bono hehe

Bono is so amazing , I can't find the words to explain how his passion affects me !

jamila - Debbie , your post was beautiful and moving . ^^^

U2Girl1978 said:
I hope this is on youtube soon!

Iam also hopeing it well be on you tube soon. As I think I might have missed the Bman on the show.

eriekittym

Its been on here for 40 mins and no Bono. Iam woundering if I missed him allready. I hope not.

eriekittym

your welcome..yeah its the bono tribute..video and band..then his speech..then commercial..one last award movie of the year..then over

tanner_sis said:
your welcome..yeah its the bono tribute..video and band..then his speech..then commercial..one last award movie of the year..then over

Sounds like its gonna be really good. Cant waite to see it.

eriekittym

yes and i love the part where the guy says about bono not being black and he mouths yes i am

tanner_sis said:
yes and i love the part where the guy says about bono not being black and he mouths yes i am

lol I just saw that part youre right way to funny love it!!

eriekittym

Back
Top Bottom