The Promises we make pt 20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad_Girl

Blue Crack Supplier
**Disclaimer: Though inspired in part by real people, none of the events described are intended to represent reality. It’s just fiction!

The Promises we make pt 20

“Adam? Come on in, we’re all in the lounge.” Laney heard Tessa’s voice from the foyer. It had been a long day, but Edge and Tessa had talked her into staying for the duration of her vacation. Tessa had really appreciated having her help planning the wedding, and frankly, Laney had nothing to go home to. She turned in her seat to see them enter, Adam looking more serious than usual.

“Hi, Adam. This is a pleasant surprise. Is Cat with you?” Laney greeted her old friend with a smile. If any of the group had been able to fit into the category of friend for Laney, it was him.

“Hi, Laney.” He told her quickly but politely. “Is Bono here?” He asked, looking around the room, obviously surprised that he didn’t see their friend.

“No. I haven’t seen him since early this morning.” Edge informed him, running a hand over his beard as he thought the situation over.

“He was supposed to be bringing over some lyrics for a new song for the album. You haven’t even heard from him?” Adam asked, his handsome face drawn into a serious frown. Laney’s stomach ached with dread. This wasn’t something which should be such a terribly big deal. Bono was a grown man, just because he was not at his friends house did not mean something was wrong.

“What’s the big deal? So, he hasn’t been here today, or at your place. Is that so unusual?” Laney asked, and from the concern in her cousin’s eyes, she could already tell that it was. “Does he really spend that much time here?” She glanced around at the others who didn’t seem to know how to reply, merely nodding their heads. “Why?”

“He doesn’t like to be alone.” Edge told her simply enough. Suddenly, it hit her, and hit her hard. The realization that one of the most famous men in the world, the man whom everyone said was the friendliest and most personable man they’d ever met, was lonely. Had he ever had anyone stable to hold on to in his life? He had the three other guys in the band.

His mother had died when he was fourteen, and now his father was gone. Even when he was young, he and his father hadn’t been able to be close. Laney closed her eyes as she imagined how alone and abandoned he must feel. She’d sworn she loved him since she was a child, herself. Through years and miles and other relationships, she’d held on to that love. Now, just when that love was nearly within reach, she had yanked it away from him. It was like baiting a horse to run with a carrot which he never got to eat.

“This is a stupid question, I’m sure, but has anyone even checked his house?” Tessa asked quietly.

“I did, earlier. I rang just now, but he didn’t answer.” Adam informed her. “Though I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to check it again.”

“I’ll go.” Laney said, standing suddenly. She had been so defensive, so afraid of being hurt that she had, inevitably, hurt him. She hoped desperately that there was something she could do to help mend that, now.

She waved off any of their objections and hurried out the door, across the field which she had stumbled through less than twenty hours ago. She slipped back through the gate and rang the doorbell. No one answered. She rang it once more before peeking into the garage. How many different cars did he have? She didn’t know, but the Maserati he’d been driving that morning was there.

She returned to the front door and tried the knob. The door opened, and she braced herself for the scream of an alarm which never came. She stepped inside and closed the door behind herself, quietly moving through the halls, retracing her footsteps from the night before. She peeked into the bedroom, only to see that the bed had not been slept in last night. She could still see the wrinkles where they had lay on the bedspread.

She continued down the hall and found his office, a warm amber light seeping out the door, calling her in like soft music. The ocean outside his window was churning wildly. There was definitely a storm building. She could feel it inside of herself, as well. He was sitting at his desk, pen and paper in hand even thought the computer sat right there next to him. He was writing furiously, his eyes on the paper, his face drawn tight in concentration.

“Hey, you.” She said, for lack of anything better to say in order to get his attention. He glanced up in surprise; he’d been so involved in his words that he was totally oblivious to her arrival.

“Hey!” He greeted her, his voice full of wonder, as if she were some sort of miraculous appearance. Something revealed to him by God. She had always loved that most about him. That sense of awe, that curiosity and ability to see everything as if it were being viewed with new eyes, for the very first time.

“Got a minute?” She asked, and he moved over to the sofa, moving the stack of papers and books piled there onto the floor to make room for them both to sit there.

“People have been looking for you.” She told him gently. “Adam’s over at the house right now. They’re worried.”

“Oh.” He replied, blinking as if the thought had never occurred to him that if he had failed to answer the phone and the door, people would worry about his well being. “I was working.” He explained, and Laney nodded. She recognized the look he got in his eyes when he wrote lyrics or poetry. His hair was messy, because he’d been running his fingers through it.

“I’m sorry, about earlier…” She started, and he shook his head emphatically.

“I was… that was…I mean, you have nothing to be sorry for.” He told her seriously.

“I do, though. I’ve known you long enough to know that something like that doesn’t mean anything. You’d forget your own name, if people weren’t screaming it out at you all the time.” She told him, forcing a laugh at her attempt to joke with him.

“I didn’t forget your name, Laney.” He told her, his eyes on hers, promising her that what he said was the truth. “I don’t know why I said what I said. I wasn’t thinking about anyone else. It was you I wanted in my arms last night. In my bed. If anything, maybe, somewhere in my mind I was thinking I was glad I was alone when you came back here to visit. Thanking God and my ex that it happened the way it did. I’ve been feeling a little sorry for myself, I guess, since Angel and I broke up. Suddenly, I realized, I never ever felt, in her arms or any other woman’s, the way I felt in
yours.”

Laney’s hand had risen to cover her mouth as hot tears stung her eyes. It was exciting, and beautiful and frightening all at once. Years and years of waiting, of loving him with no sign of love returned, and suddenly, everything was changing. She’d given up hope ages ago that this would happen, but here they were.

“I know, I know… it sounds so phony, so unrealistic, but it’s the way I felt. I didn’t believe, not really, that people really ever felt that way just because they were with someone. It was like…” He paused, his eyes turned upwards as he searched for the appropriate words.

“Coming home.” Laney said, her voice catching in her throat. Bono smiled at her, a gentle, honest smile, and he nodded in agreement.

“But not to a house.” He added. “But really home. The idea of what home should be.”

“Yeah.” She agreed with a nod and a slight laugh even as she wiped away a fat tear which spilled over her eyelashes and slid down her cheek. Bono leaned over to wipe her face dry with the pad of one thick thumb, and she leaned into his touch.

“I never knew.” He said, that sense of wonder now directed toward her. It was like being bathed in golden sunlight, her entire body grew warm and she felt the need to avert her eyes. Still, she would never choose the shade when she could have the sun.

“Give me a chance, Laney? Let’s find out what this feeling really is?” He asked, his voice lowering to a whisper as he leaned in even closer, the heat from his body radiating into hers pleasantly. She slid her arms around his neck and brushed his lips with her own, although every part of her seemed to be trembling.

“You can have all the chances you want. I’ve waited twenty eight years for you to notice me, and I’d wait fifty more if I must. Face it; you aren’t getting rid of me.” She told him, whispering it gently in his ear, her hand slipping under the soft fabric of his shirt to press against his bare chest on the left side, feeling his heart beating against the palm of her hand.

“So, tell me…” he asked, kissing her neck intimately, his arms holding her firmly around the waist. “Was it worth the wait?”

“I don’t know yet, we got interrupted.” She teased, making him laugh out loud even as he leaned in to kiss her. “I’ll tell you in the morning.” She continued, grinning mischievously after she broke their kiss. He laughed again at her playfulness, but didn’t argue.
********************************************************************************

“Should I go over there?” Edge asked, standing at the window and gazing across the yard toward Bono’s house. Both Adam and Tessa replied with a resounding ‘no!’.

“If something were wrong, she would’ve called us. Everything’s ok. They’re probably just… talking.” Adam said, and Tessa hid her smile when Edge glanced her way. She nodded in agreement. Edge wondered which scenario was better, really. Laney and Bono falling deeply in love, or Bono insulting her and her finally moving on.

“She loves him.” Tessa said, as if reading his mind. She walked up behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist, resting her head against his back. Adam excused himself, wishing them a goodnight. He obviously didn’t belong there, in that moment. He had somewhere else he’d rather be, anyway, he thought with a smile.

They were leaving the hospital for the night, tired but content. Simone’s father was doing well, considering everything he had been through. Her sister and brothers were relaxed finally, several of them planning to return to service in the coming days. Tim, with his late arrival, would be staying on the longest. He would help their mother and father get settled back into their home. There were adjustments to be made, of course, and a home health care aid would be there during the day.

Simone’s family and Larry had come to some sort of truce which she didn’t entirely understand. She wasn’t even sure exactly when or how it had happened. She’d never seen any significant exchange between them which signified an agreement. Still, the peace was nice. Spending their nights in each other arms, pursuing the dream of making a child together was certainly one of the things which had made the long days tolerable.

They had just loaded up into the rental car, Simone was making sure Pauley was securely buckled in his booster seat, when the phone in Larry’s pocket began to buzz. He jumped at the sudden sensation and Simone muffled a giggle as he raised the phone to his ear.

“Yeah?” He said, turning the key in the ignition and steering the car out onto the road as he spoke. “What? Oh, fuck! No, no… ok, have them call us at the hotel. Is the jet fueled and… thank you. Thanks, Adam. I’ll see you in a few hours.”

“What’s wrong?” Simone asked, her chest tightening apprehensively.

“Your house was broken into.” He told her dryly, his handsome lips pressed into a thin line. “Dave drove by there to check on it and the door was wide open. The place was ransacked.”

“What? Why would…?” Simone wondered out loud.

“A bunch of things were missing, the police are there now.” He told her, reaching over and clasping her hand supportively.

“I don’t have a bloody thing worth stealing!” She exclaimed.

“Your dark room was hit hard, I guess. It sounded like they may’ve even taken some negatives or something.” He told her, his voice lowering, growing deep with concern. Simone’s eyes widened and her mouth opened silently.

“No!” she mouthed. Her hand rising to cover her lips as she realized the possible things which could result from this theft. “I… how would they… no one knew about…” she stammered. Her mind went back to a warm summer afternoon by the pool at Larry’s house. Pauley had been in town with Cat and Trine, and the weather had been perfect.

“Just for me?” She’d pleaded, batting her eyelashes at him playfully. “No one else would ever see.” She’d promised. “I do the developing and everything myself.”

“No. Absolutely not. There is no way in hell…” he’d started, but his voice and his determination had faltered as Simone pouted at him, her lower lip sticking out slightly, her green eyes round and disappointed.

“You’ve got a copy of my self portrait.” She argued, and the corner of his mouth had twitched responsively.

“You can have it back, if you want. I’ve got every inch recorded up here.” He told her, tapping a forefinger to his temple. She’d rolled her eyes at him and reached out to stroke his firm chest.

“I don’t see why you’re so against this. You don’t seem to mind people gawking at your body usually.”

“I might pose in a pair of shorts, when I have to have pictures taken at all.” He said, “But I hate being photographed. You know that!”

“Ok.” She said, sighing dramatically and turning away. He’d muttered something under his breath and when she glanced back she saw him running his hands through his hair in frustration.

“Where?” he’d finally asked and she smiled victoriously.

“Here? It’s beautiful here. The light is perfect today.” She suggested and he eyed her warily. Finally he had made an irritated face at her, fighting a smirk the whole while. He slid his hands beneath his swimming trunks and slid them down his legs, kicking them aside. He was looking down at the ground, seeming suddenly as shy and vulnerable as a virgin.

“You’re incredibly…”

“If you say beautiful I swear to God I’ll put my shorts back on, go into the house, lock the doors, and you’ll never see me naked again.” He told her, his slivery eyes glistening with amusement.

“How about sexy?” She said, tilting her head coyly to one side and lifting her camera to snap the first picture. It had been a fun afternoon, and the pictures had turned out to be better than any other nude portrait she’d ever shot. It had been a shame that she couldn’t share them, but she kept her word and locked the prints and negatives away securely in her dark room.

Now, in the harsh realization that she had made a promise she couldn’t guarantee when she’d said no one else would ever see them, Simone paled. Her stomach twisted and turned with guilt, and she wondered if he would ever forgive her if those pictures ended up posted all over the internet. He was such a private man. She’d already pushed him to his limits, but this was way beyond those limits. She felt as if she had violated him , had commited the most grievous of sins. When she glanced back at him, she could tell from the firm set of his jaw, the way he clenched his teeth together, that he was thinking the same thing.

**Yes, the extended version is available :wink: Check your inboxes :)

Oh thank you for the extended version. I was so happy when I opened my email. :drool:

Hi

I am loving this story - it is possible for you to mail me the extended versions of the chapters please...

Can't wait for the updates

Lisa
xx

Back
Top Bottom