The Promises we make pt 16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad_Girl

Blue Crack Supplier
First off I want to say thanks to all of you for the encouragemant and support (and Patience!) during my past couple of weeks of classes/projects/tests etc... :hug:

and now back to our regularly scheduled program :)

:madspit: and now I can't seem to POST it! :rant:

*Disclaimer: ~ Though inspired in part by real people; none of the stuff in the story really happened or is intended to represent reality in anyway. It’s just a daydream. (the towns represented in this story are done in a fictitious manner and not intended to reflect any real place)

The Promises we make pt 16

They found the little roadside saloon easily enough; there wasn’t much of anything else in any direction, except for the road itself. Some scrub vegetation, not even enough to support much in the way of wildlife. Rattle snakes, maybe. Bono smiled to himself at the thought. He remembered the way Angel looked that night, her chocolate eyes richer than ever in the Arizona dusk.

When he closed his eyes he could easily imagine her standing there in traditional Navajo garb, two hundred years earlier. That same ferocity in her eyes, declaring herself a warrior despite her gender. It was just as hot and dry here, tonight, in Texas. He remembered the sound of the ceremonial singing, feeling it deep in his heart.

As the others climbed out of the rented cars, he grabbed the notebook Cat had been carrying and started jotting down the words he had thought of that day in Arizona. He had nearly filled the entire page before he heard Paul clear his throat. Bono looked up, his eyes distant as if he didn’t know where he was at all. He smiled slightly as he realized everyone was waiting for him.

“You want us to go in and leave you out here?” Adam asked, and Bono shook his head.

“I’m with you. Just wanted to write that down before I forgot it.” He told his friend before tossing the notebook back into the car and closing the door. They made their way across the dusty parking lot toward the awkward, run down building. A sign in the window announced it’s name ‘The Rodeo Queen’, and the sound of country music drifted out into the night.

“I’d be scared to be out here alone, too.” Trine told him, glancing around as if she thought she had landed in the twilight zone.

“I told you, no smart ass comments in here, all right?” Cat told her shooting the girl a look that let her know she was serious. What could’ve been a simple business trip had turned into something of a group outing. Paul had come in Tessa’s place, with the contracts Shane would need to sign and which would need to be approved by the court. Bono had come along as a producer of the album.

Adam had not liked the idea of Cat flying, despite the fact she had nearly two months yet before she was restricted from flying. With Simone and Larry also leaving town, and Tessa and Edge making plans for the wedding, Trine would’ve found herself alone most of the time if she had stayed. Krash had desperately needed some time alone with his girlfriend, and Alex was homesick for America anyway, so he had come along as well.

“Not a peep.” Trine agreed with a nod and a smile which made Cat extremely nervous. John and Dan, Adam and Bono’s bodyguards, rounded out the rest of the unnecessarily large group. Cat was grateful for their presence as soon as they stepped in the door. The place was packed, and the crowd was decidedly rowdy.

Through the haze of smoke and neon lights, Cat could make out a pool table at one end of the room and the stage on the other end. The band had already started playing, and right away she knew it was indeed the little group Shane had joined up with. He had said he needed to, after working in a slaughterhouse all day. It was the only way to maintain his sanity.

(this is the first half... Now lemme try to reply with the rest)

Last edited:
The music was twangy and lighthearted, full of the sort of energy Shane radiated. It was an old song, but of course, in true Tequila Monster style, Shane had added his own little twists.

“Well here I sit, gettin' ideas, Ain't nothing but a fool would live like this! Out all night and runnin' wild, Woman sittin' home with a month old child! Dang me, dang me! They oughta take a rope and hang me, High from the highest tree! Woman would you weep for me?” He sang, smiling wickedly. It would be easy to believe he was simply telling a true story about himself. “Just sittin' around drinkin' with the rest of the guys, Six rounds bought, and I bought five, Spent the groceries and half the rent, and like fourteen dollars and twenty seven cents. Dang me…”

“Same old Shane.” Cat said, feeling a smile tug at the corner of her mouth. He was the type of guy she just hated to love. No matter how much of a bastard he was, he could smile and admit that he was being one and you just could not help but forgive him. Cat caught his eye while he was on stage and he smiled that broad, roguish grin, nodding at them to acknowledge their presence.

“Folks, we’re gonna take a quick five minute break right now, but you keep writing up those song requests for when we come back.” Shane said into the mic as soon as the music ended. There was a round of polite applause, but he didn’t bother to wait for it. He leapt off the front of the stage and was across the barroom floor in three broad steps, scooping Cat up into a hug which lifted her off her feet and swung her from side to side.

“Woah!” He announced, setting her back down on her own two feet quickly. “That one is NOT mine!” he pointed at her belly with one hand and held the other one up as if being sworn in at court. Cat rolled her eyes and rested her hand on her only slightly protruding belly.

“Sorry,” he told her with a mischievous grin, turning and nudging Bono on the shoulder. “Usually when an ex-girlfriend of mine shows up pregnant they’re looking for money or a ring.” Bono laughed despite himself, shaking his head at the man’s attitude toward something so important.

“Is there somewhere we can talk?” Cat asked him, growing slightly impatient.

“Sure, sure. Birdy?” Shane replied, wrapping an arm around Cat’s shoulder and guiding her along with him toward the bar. A pretty woman with her long brown hair tied back in a tight braid looked up at Shane, hearing him call her name. “Birdy, this is Cat Williams…”

“Clayton.” Cat corrected.

“Oh, right. This is Cat Clayton, I told you about her and the band.” Shane continued. “Cat, this here is Birdy. She and that little spitfire down there at the other end of the bar, Dusty, own this fine establishment.” He said, tossing a wink at the busty redhead he’d identified as Dusty and she rolled her eyes at him.

“Cat and Birdy… heh… if I let you go, are you gonna eat her?” Shane asked, wiggling his tongue crudely at Cat and receiving and elbow in the ribs. “Shit, darlin’, all you hadda do was say no.” He teased, though his words came out on a hiss because she’d knocked the wind out of him.

“I swear to God Shane, one of these days you’re gonna get yourself shot somewhere serious.” Birdy told him with a smirk. Cat recognized the glimmer in her eyes, though and felt a tug of sympathy for the woman, who was obviously the flavor of the month for Shane.

“And most likely, you’re the one gonna do it, too.” He replied, leaning over the bar to grab hold of her braid and pull her back until he could kiss her hard on the mouth.

“That’s right.” She told him with a chuckle, her cheeks turning pink. “And don’t you forget it.”

“You know you love me to much to shoot me.” He teased, releasing her from his grasp.

“What do you want?” she asked with a sigh.

“Can we use the office for a few minutes?” He asked, leaning one slim hip up against the bar and crossing his arms over his chest. She shot a nervous glance over her shoulder at Dusty but nodded in agreement and handed him a key.

Shane led them to the other end of the building, past the pool table and into an already cramped little office. He assumed the seat behind the desk, his cowboy boots propped up on it casually. Adam took Trine, Alex, John and Dan and found a table near the stage. There simply wasn’t enough room for all of them, and frankly, no need. He knew Paul and Bono had things under control, and he knew Cat would be just fine.

“So what can I get for you, sugar?” The little blonde waitress in the ‘Daisy Duke’ shorts asked, squatting down beside the table and allowing the men all a generous look down her shirt, but directing her comment specifically at Adam. Trine groaned and rolled her eyes but the waitress either didn’t notice or didn’t care. Adam tried not to smile at the woman, though it was his instinct, and ordered a round of drinks for everyone, most of which were non-alcoholic.

The little blonde sauntered off with a smile and wink, after patting Adam on the shoulder, her touch lingering far longer than necessary. Trine scowled at her as she disappeared through the crowd, and then scowled at Adam, though he hadn’t encouraged it. Meanwhile, back in the office, Cat was laying her offer out for Shane.

“So?” She asked when she was finished laying the deal out for him. Shane looked at her, silently rolling the toothpick back and forth in his mouth with his tongue. Finally he smiled at her, his blue eyes shining brightly.

“God Bless you, Catalina, I knew you’d come back for me eventually.” He told her with that cocky smile of his. He lowered his feet from the desk and leapt up from his seat, grabbing first Paul’s hand and then Bono’s and shaking them enthusiastically.

“You realize you won’t be seeing most of the money you make, right?” She double checked as he embraced her again, more gingerly than he had before he knew she was pregnant.

“Right, I understand. I couldn’t give a shit less about the money, darlin’, you got me my freedom back. I will do anything in the world for you for that.”

“Are you sure you want to move so far away from your children?” Bono asked, although he suspected he knew the answer.

“I never see them anyway. I’d like to but none of their mothers makes it easy on me.” He said and Bono closed his eyes, feeling a headache coming on. He knew the lecture he wanted to give would be wasted on Shane.

“Tomorrow we’ll talk to the local courthouse rep for family services and make sure this really is good enough, and they don’t want you to stick around for probation or anything. The last thing we need is to start out our career with you getting arrested trying to leave the country with us when you’re not supposed to.” Cat told him, and he nodded in agreement.

“Especially after that Enquirer article this week.” He agreed and Cat frowned at him.

“You did see the article on your mama, didn’t you?” He asked, shifting his weight from one leg to the other uncomfortably.

“What article?” Cat asked, the drop in the tone of her voice telling him she had not heard anything of the sort.

“Oh, Shit. Ok, don’t kill the messenger!” He said, rifling through the stacks of papers and magazines on the desk until he found the tabloid in question and handed it over to Cat tentatively. She looked down at the article, thankfully hidden on one of the last pages and not mentioned on the cover, and they watched her carefully for a reaction. She glanced up at Paul and then Bono.

“Did you know anything about this?” She asked, wondering if they had kept it a secret in some convoluted effort to protect her from it.

“No.” They both shook their heads emphatically, their eyes widening at the suggestion. She handed the paper over to them and they hovered over it, inspecting it carefully. There were several pictures of Cat and many of them were with one member of the band or another. The story was a sort of prequel version of ‘behind the music’. It told several stories about the early days of the group and it’s members which weren’t particularly flattering.

It entailed the

It entailed the sordid tale of Charlene and Gunnar’s lifestyle choices and of their battle with AIDS and depression. Ultimately, it suggested that they both committed suicide. Cat clenched her teeth against the rage this brought out inside of her. Charlene was many things, but she had not taken her own life. Lying about Cat would be one thing, but lying about a dead woman was lower than dirt.

There were pictures of Cat and Shane from their time as a couple. Pictures of them kissing, flirting, playing around. Nothing particularly embarrassing. Unless of course you consider the fact that the paper was insinuating that she slept with any man she was closely affiliated with in any manner. It was insulting to her, but her concern lay mainly on how it would make Adam feel. And on the baby. Years from now, would he or she know the truth about her, or would it be fed these sorts of lies by the press until it believed there was truth to them?

The worst part was the interview with her mother. Her mother who had abandoned her when she was little more than a baby. Her mother who had apparently sold them every photo she had ever received of Cat and her friends. Photos Cats father had sent her, in his hope that one day she would return and they would be a family again.

“Cat…” Bono started, but she held up a hand to stop him. She didn’t want or need him to comfort her. Not right then, not right there.

“Don’t. I’m fine. Shit like this is going to happen. Shane, you didn’t speak to the press, did you?”

“No.” he told her seriously. “They called but I told them they could stick it where the sun don’t shine. I was not about to cause you any more grief than I already have.” Cat blinked at him in surprise at his sincerity. Finally, chewing on her lower lip, she nodded her appreciation.

“So, we’re all set for tonight?” He asked, and when it was clear everyone agreed, he continued. “I have a favor to ask then. You’re taking me away from this little group here, and they are a great group of kids, lemme tell ya. Would you come up on stage with us for a few?”

“I could do that.” She replied with a smile. Everything she had loved about the scoundrel came rushing back to her in that moment, though she would never wish to go back to him. She had everything she needed and wanted with Adam, but she felt considerably better about Shane’s involvement in the band at that moment.

Shane led the group of them out through the bar room, where Bono and Paul joined the others at their table. Cat paused long enough to kiss Adam quickly and then swipe Bono’s cowboy hat before continuing on to the stage. After a brief introduction to the others in the band, Shane took the mic as the band collected their instruments once more.

Last edited:
“Folks, I have a real treat for you tonight. This little lady right here is in an up and coming rock group known as Tequila Monster. You’ll be hearing them on the radio real soon. Rather, I should say, you’ll be hearing US real soon.” He smirked and waited as the crowd applauded and cheered for his announcement. “Usually she’s a rock and roll kinda girl but tonight, we’re gonna see if she can handle the Country.” He said, and there was another eruption of applause.

“Oh God!” Trine groaned, burying her face in her hands. “This is gonna get out and people are gonna think we’re a country group.” She whined, making Adam chuckle at her concern.

“Cat and I have both been telling you, you have to appreciate different kinds of music if you want the stuff you create to be worth anything.” He reminded her, and she looked up at him long enough to roll her eyes.

“Ok, folks, let’s hear it for miss Catalina Jo Wi… “ he paused and turned back to look at her, shaking his head. “I’m never gonna get used to the fact she has a new name.” He said with a chuckle. “Miss Catalina Jo Clayton!” He announced finally, and the crowd applauded politely.

“Thank you Shane.” She said into the mic, watching him as he moved to the back of the stage to retrieve his fiddle. “Man, this place reminds me of home!” She said, her southern drawl thicker than usual, playing the crowd. They cheered for this, proud of where they came from and the lives they led.

“I come from a little town in Tennessee. Y’all might’ve heard of it, it’s called Memphis.” She smiled and paused as the bar reacted. “Yeah. We’ve had some good people there, a lot of good music.” She agreed, pacing the front of the stage casually. “One of which in particular I admire, and I’d like to share one of the songs he recorded in Memphis with you tonight.” She said, turning back to see that Clay, the bands lead guitarist, had laced a dollar bill through the strings of his acoustic guitar to achieve the unique sound Johnny Cash had created for this particular song.

She nodded at them and they started to play, the bar room crowd cheering loudly as they recognized the song as “I walk the line’. She smiled brightly at the reaction. She really did love to be on stage.

“I keep a close watch on this heart of mine…” She started singing the familiar old song and another round of applause rose for her earthy voice and all the emotion she put into each word. Trine groaned again, folding her arms on the table and resting her head against them. Alex laughed at her and nudged her elbow. She tilted her head slightly to the side to peek at him with one eye.

“I’ll bet you ten bucks she has you up there by the end of the night.” He told her and she sat straight up and looked at him as if he were completely insane.

“I don’t even know anything like this!” She informed him. “This isn’t just country, this is OLD country.”

“So, it sounds like you’re pretty damn certain. Take the bet.” He said, holding out his hand to her. She frowned at him, thinking it was just too easy. “Look, if she asks you to come up there and play something you actually can play, I win. You don’t even have to actually play it.” He amended, sensing her suspicion.

“Ok, it’s a bet.” She told him, shaking his hand. “I think you’re cracked, but I’ll take your money.” She added and he smiled brightly at her, his blue eyes shining in the dark room.

They sat and had their drinks, watching the band and realizing Cat had been right about Shane. The two of them together on stage were explosive. Their back and forth was funny and beguiling, the sound of their voices complimented each other and their timing was perfect. After several faster, more modern songs, Cat was starting to look a little tired, though. She looked out into the crowd and saw the concern on Adam’s face.

“Now, this is a handsome crowd tonight!” She announced, the mostly drunken, rowdy crowd cheered wildly at this and she smiled and nodded until the noise diminished a bit. “Yeah! There are a whole bunch of good looking guys out there. See, I wanted to find the sexiest man in the audience to sing this next song too, but I’m not sure how to choose!” She told them, several men standing and volunteering themselves for the role.

“I’m just gonna have to come out there and have me a closer look.” She said, cueing the music. “It's amazing how you can speak right to my heart, without saying a word you can light up the dark!” She sang, stepping down off the stage and winding her way through the tables, dodging the advances of several drunken cowboys with a smile. She even stopped once or twice to look at a couple of guys as if considering them seriously.

“Try as I may I could never explain what I hear when you don't say a thing!” She sang, approaching the table with her group, smiling broadly. “The smile on your face lets me know that you need me! There's a truth in your eyes sayin' you'll never leave me! The touch of your hand says you'll catch me if ever I fall, You say it best when you say nothing at all!” she sang, every word sounding absolutely heartfelt. Finally, she stopped and rested her hand on Adam’s shoulder, as he turned to look up at her where she stood behind him.

“All day long I can hear people talking out loud, but when you hold me near, you drown out the crowd! Old Mr. Webster could never define what's being said between your heart and mine!” she sang, rounding the side of Adam’s chair and seating herself squarely in his lap, making him smile that big, toothy grin she loved so much. His cheeks even flushed a little red, and Trine rolled her eyes despite the fact she couldn’t fight the smile the sight brought to her face.

She finished the song right there, the riotous applause and cheering her apparent forwardness earned ebbing until at the very end she leaned in and kissed him tenderly on the lips. It was a gentle, lingering kiss; the sort which took your breath away just witnessing it. The cheers were louder than ever. Adam helped her gently back to her feet with a smirk, his blue eyes twinkling at her as she made her way back to the stage.

“I have a little confession to make.” She told the audience. “That handsome man right there happens to be my husband.” She said, to which most of the audience laughed and cheered, but a few rowdy cowboys playfully protested her choosing him. After all, he had her all the time, not just for one song. He could share a little, couldn’t he?

“The young lady sitting next to him…” Cat started, and Trine’s head snapped up, her eyes wide as she looked first at the stage and then at Alex.

“You haven’t won yet.” She whispered when she saw him smile at her.

“Is my beautiful step daughter, Trine.” She paused for the applause. “And she happened to be one hell of a guitar player. Trine, c’mon up here for a minute.” She said, gesturing for the girl to join them on stage. The crowd applauded, encouraging her.

“This doesn’t mean you’ve won.” She whispered. “I still don’t know how to play anything they’d want to play here.” Alex smiled brightly at her and shrugged his shoulders, applauding with the rest of the audience. Trine stepped onto the stage cautiously, as if afraid beer bottles would soon be flung at her. When Clay handed her his acoustic guitar, she shook her head at him.

“I don’t know any country songs!” She protested, and Cat nodded at Clay to give her the guitar anyway. Trine grudgingly accepted.

“You do to know one. We’ve played it together more than once.” She told her, taking the bass from Shane and strapping it over her shoulder. “Jolene. Jack White recorded on that one White Stripes album you’re always listening to.”

“Shit!” Trine cursed under her breath, remembering Cat telling her that the song, which she admitted had struck her as odd when she heard it by the White Stripes, was actually an old Dolly Parton song,

“Now get up there, you got me and this nice drummer back here, named Randy backing you up.” Cat told her, gently shoving the girl by the shoulder toward center stage.

“Backing ME up? You want me to sing?” Trine screeched, shaking her head emphatically.

“You do this great, c’mon. This is a great place to get your feet wet. You’re going to be doing your share of both the guitar and vocals.” Cat reminded her, and Trine sighed. The only person more stubborn than she was herself, was Cat. She closed her eyes and drew in a deep breath for strength. She turned and found the mic on it’s stand, center stage, turning back to look at Randy for a count before strumming the first chord.

“Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, Jolene! I'm begging of you please don't take my man! Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, Jolene! Please don't take him just because you can. Your beauty is beyond compare With flaming locks of auburn hair, with ivory skin and eyes of emerald green, your smile is like a breath of spring, your voice is soft like summer rain, and i cannot compete with you, Jolene!” Trine sang, her voice tentative at first, but growing bolder as the audience cheered in encouragement.

When they finished the song, the audience stood and cheered, making Trine’s face turn beet red and her cheeks hurt she smiled so hard. She thanked the audience and return the guitar to Clay, who kissed her on the cheek and told her what a great job she’d done. She grinned like an idiot all the way back to her table.

“You set me up.” She told Alex as Cat and the band started playing again.

“No way. I just know Cat.” Alex assured her.

“I don’t have any money on me.” She informed him defiantly.

“I guess you’ll have to pay me with a dance, then.” He said, and she looked at him in surprise. He stood and took her by the hand, leading her out onto the small corner of the room which had been cleared for dancing. There were three other couples dancing to the sweet, slow song about being in love with someone you couldn’t have. This particular song volunteered the singer as a stand in for that unrequited love. Trine’s heart fluttered in her chest at the significance of the words as she rested her head against the young mans shoulder and let him lead her in a gentle swaying dance.

“Well, at least he was born in the same generation.” Bono told Adam when he saw his friend watching the pair of them dance, and Adam smiled softly and agreed with a nod. It would be a relief to Larry, as well, if Trine would direct her romantic attentions elsewhere.

“It gets better.” Alex whispered into Trine’s ear, and she lifted her head to look into his cobalt blue eyes. “Love. Or, heart ache. I mean, I’ve been in love with someone who didn’t love me. More than once.” He told her, suddenly uncomfortable although he had rehearsed these words several times. He’d seen the way she looked at Larry, and he had wanted to assure her the pain of that first unrequited love didn’t last forever.

“Does everybody know?” Trine groaned, closing her eyes in embarassment. Alex laughed gently.

“Only people who’ve been in the same place. So, yeah, pretty much everybody.” He told her, and she sighed. “Don’t be embarassed.” He told her. “It won’t be long before you have so many guys coming after you, you’ll have trouble choosing just one.”

“Riiiight.” Trine replied sarcastically.

“It’s true. You’re a very pretty girl.” He informed her, and she looked at him for a long, silent moment, as if seeing him for the first time.

“You look kinda like that actor. Seth Greene. Only, not so dorky.” She told him finally and he laughed so hard he nearly doubled over.

“Well, I m glad you added that last part.” He laughed, and she realized she was blushing as the song ended and he led her back to their table, still holding her hand protectively.

“I’m being informed it’s getting to be close to closing time, folks. You might want to order those final rounds while I introduce you to another friend of mine. I’ve been watching him all night and he’s been foaming at the mouth to get his butt up on this stage. If I don’t invite him up here to play, I’ll never hear the end of it.” Cat said, and Adam glanced over at Bono who smiled crookedly back.

“I’m pretty sure he doesn’t actually need an introduction, but just in case some of you have actually been livin’ under a rock, I’d like to introduce my friend. A man who needs only one name. Bono, ladies and gentlemen.” She said as Bono hurried up onto the stage, followed closely by both of the bodyguards. Paul rolled his eyes at Adam.

“He’ll never get tired of it, will he?” He asked, and Adam shook his head.

“I hope not.” He replied with a smile. Once the cheers had died down and Bono had adressed the audience, Shane took the mic for a minute.

“We keep this fella here around just for this song.” He said, wrapping an arm around a young man who had been seated beside the stage all night. “He’s the only one who can handle a trumpet around here. Unless you want me to try and immitate the noises.” He suggested playfully, making a ‘Bom-bmop-waahhh’ sound that vaguely resembled the trumpet part in ‘Ring of Fire’, another Johnny Cash song. Perhaps his most famous song.

“I’m honored to be singing one of Johnny’s songs.” Bono said when Shane returned the mic to him. “He was an incredible musician and a man I was proud to call a friend.” The audience cheered for this, perhaps more than they had for Bono even.

The trumpet blared introducing the song and soon everyone was on their feet and most were singing along to the classic song, given new life by the enthusiasm and passion of the group on stage as well as of the audience itself. The rafters shook in the tiny building, the music refusing to be contained, spreading out into the desert night for miles. Cat felt lighter than air and better than ever about her decision. This was what making music was about, moments like this. People of very different backgrounds and beliefs united in the song.

Back
Top Bottom