The PLEBA-laungauge school - Learn one or more European laungauges!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never had trouble with French vocabulary because I also had Latin. About 60% of our vocabulary was originally French, and the other 40% is of Germanic origin. It's the damn grammar that got me in trouble. I should be able to learn these words!

Lemonboy said:
Anyone up for some swedish.....it's not very unlike danish but the funny thing is that while the danes usually understand us swedes very well, we usually don't understand them at all.....

However, my mother is from the south of sweden(near Denmark)
so I understand Danish pretty well.....

:yes:

I'll have to watch out what I write then! :wink: But... Hejsan och velkommans till PLEBA-skolen - tycker du om den? :D

Hvor kommer din mor fra? Malm??

Lemonboy said:
and a little homework to figure out for yourself.....:lol:
Jag ?lskar dig.....

Hmmm :hmm: That's a tricky one... :wink:

U2Kitten said:
I'll never be able to learn everything, but I'm going to try! :crazy:

Question to Merc and Lemonboy, do you have to have special keyboards with the extra letters? How can we with plain keyboards translate that, is there something to compare it to?

Oh, you'll learn - just wait and see! :wink:

Yeah, we have special keyboards... We've got "?" between "p" and "^". "?" and "?" is right next to eachother between "l" and "*"... Does that make any sense? :confused:

I would suggest this translation for the plain keyboard users:

? = Ae

? = ae

? = Oe

? = oe

? = Aa

? = aa

... at least, thats what I do when I'm out travelling, and get to a computer with a keyboard that hasn't got ?, ? and ?! :D

Merc said:
Yeah, we have special keyboards... We've got "?" between "p" and "^". "?" and "?" is right next to eachother between "l" and "*"... Does that make any sense? :confused:

*Blinks*

Um...sure. Sure it does! :D.

Originally posted by Merc
I would suggest this translation for the plain keyboard users:

? = Ae

? = ae

? = Oe

? = oe

? = Aa

? = aa

... at least, thats what I do when I'm out travelling, and get to a computer with a keyboard that hasn't got ?, ? and ?! :D

Thanks for the help.

Yes, tomorrow I'll get a notebook and start writing all this stuff down. This is going to be fun. :). I would like to thank all those who are taking the time to teach this stuff to us, by the way. Much appreciated. :hug:.

Speaking of help, by the way...I could help some with the Spanish, too, for those who wish to learn that. Like I said, I'm not overly fluent in it, but I'll try and find some of my notes from when I was in school and see what all I remember.

Angela

Thanks Merc, that helps! Thanks everyone for doing this. Now greety can sign up to teach Flemish!

Ta me go maith. - I'm well

Baile Atha cilath. - Dublin

Craic - Fun

Garda. - Police

pairc. - Park

That's about all the gaelic I can think of off the top of my head lmao

a bit of french corrections:

Je vais aux toilettes = i am going to the bathroom
Voulez-vous coucher avec ce soir?= do you wanna sleep with me tonight?
mon petit lapin= my little bunny (but we don't actually say that, petit lapin, that's really ridiculous :lol: )

Moonlit_Angel said:
This is going to be fun. :). I would like to thank all those who are taking the time to teach this stuff to us, by the way. Much appreciated. :hug:.

U2Kitten said:
Thanks Merc, that helps! Thanks everyone for doing this. Now greety can sign up to teach Flemish!

Oh really, it's no big deal - I mean I speak Danish everyday and have been doing so for the last 21 yrs, so it's no problem for me! :D

You actually help me too - by keeping my written English "up to date" :yes: ...not that I get the grammar and everything right all the time, but it's just nice to write sometimes, so I don't forget everytihng I've learnt so far! :wink:

Yep, greety, where are you?! We need some Flemish too! :yes:

Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
Speaking of help, by the way...I could help some with the Spanish, too, for those who wish to learn that. Like I said, I'm not overly fluent in it, but I'll try and find some of my notes from when I was in school and see what all I remember.

Okay, I've actually got a Spanish question - Mullen-Girl? TeeHee? Angela? Or at least I think it's Spanish! :lol:
It's the live-ending of "Mothers of the dissappared" where Bono sings something like: "El pueblo... something-something (I don't understand the rest!)..."
Doesn't "El pueblo" means something like "The people"? And what about the rest - what does that mean?

just an FYI on special characters.. on the Mac you can find most of these, they exist by holding down 'alt' and typing a letter.... I expect something similar is hiding on most PCs.. also there's language fonts you can reset the entire keyboard to but that gets confusing.
assorted weirdness:
?∑????? π ? ? ∂ ? ∆ ˚? √∫?? ? ? ? ∏?˚? ? ? ? ? ? Ω ≈ ? √ ı ? ? ≤ ≥ ? ? ? ∞ ?...

More Danish for the students!

... and if you're interested - some Danish translations of Mullen-girl and miss-U2's posts:

Je vais aux toilettes = i am going to the bathroom = Jeg g?r p? toilettet

(I = jeg, am going = g?r, to = p? (but "to" doesn't translate into "p?" all the time - it depends on the situation), bathroom = toilet)

Voulez-vous coucher avec ce soir?= do you wanna sleep with me tonight? = Vil du sove sammen med mig i nat?

(Do .... wanna = vil, you = du, sleep = sove, with = sammen med, me = mig, tonight = i nat)

mon petit lapin= my little bunny (but we don't actually say that, petit lapin, that's really ridiculous ) = Min lille kanin :lol: I don't think I've ever heard someone call anyone "min lille kanin" in Danish :lol:

(My = min, little = lille, bunny = kanin)

Cead mile falte - A thousand welcomes = Hjertelig velkommen

("Hjerte" in Danish means :heart: :D, velcome(s) = velkommen )

Ta me go maith. - I'm well = "Jeg har det godt" or "Jeg har det fint"

(I'm = Jeg har det, well = "godt" or "fint")

Baile Atha cilath. - Dublin = Dublin :lol:

Craic - Fun = Sjov

Garda. - Police = Politi

pairc. - Park = Park

... If you have any questions about how to prunounce the words in Danish, feel free to ask - I'm still trying to figure out a good way to write it... :hmm:

Last edited:
kitty, or you type the real key combinations

although we have single keys for our letters, you can get the special letters if you press the ALT key and hold it and then type 0241 - for example you get '?'

in german we hav ? - ? - ? - ?.

for ? you press ALT + 0228

for ?: ALT + 0252

for ?: ALT + 0246

for ?: ALT + 0223

:)

okay, am i dork, or what? :huh: i somehow ignored wolfeden's post when i wote about the ? ? ? and ?. sorry :happy:

Il y a un cochon d'inde dans le centre ville

:D

After 6 years of French, and somehow managing to get an A for it at the end of school, that's about all I know. Plus, I'm pretty sure my masculine/feminine's are all wrong :lol:

I could never get my head round the gender thing. How can a chair be female :huh: :laugh:

bammo2 said:
I could never get my head round the gender thing. How can a chair be female :huh: :laugh:

:laugh:...good question. Never thought about that before! :D.

Merc...I've never heard that speech before, but I was trying to look around for it yesterday so I could try and see if I could translate it, but no such luck so far. I'll keep checking, though.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
Merc...I've never heard that speech before, but I was trying to look around for it yesterday so I could try and see if I could translate it, but no such luck so far. I'll keep checking, though.

It's live from Tempe, december 20th 1987...

It goes something like this (please remember, I've never had any spanish :D ):

"El pueblo, fe serra" and that's repeated many times. Then he sings something like: "Mama Mama..." and that of course makes perfect sense, 'cause it's "Mothers of the dissappered" but I have absolutely no idea what se saying after "Mama Mama...".
Then there's an english bit, something like: "Mama Mama, lift me up - Mother, ... (can't understand what he's saying) won't give me up - 'Till the heart comes tumbling down and the stars and the feet(?) and the ground". Then he goes into spanish again... :confused:

... If it's not asking too much, can I send it to you Angela? Then it might be easier for you - instead of surfing the entire net for the song... :hug: to you for trying and help me - I really appriciate it!

There are ways to get your keyboard to do these things? :shocked: What a surprise!

Teachers, what is the best way to learn, just write it down or ask questions? What about the grammer? What should I do?

Merc said:
It's live from Tempe, december 20th 1987...

It goes something like this (please remember, I've never had any spanish :D ):

"El pueblo, fe serra" and that's repeated many times. Then he sings something like: "Mama Mama..." and that of course makes perfect sense, 'cause it's "Mothers of the dissappered" but I have absolutely no idea what se saying after "Mama Mama...".
Then there's an english bit, something like: "Mama Mama, lift me up - Mother, ... (can't understand what he's saying) won't give me up - 'Till the heart comes tumbling down and the stars and the feet(?) and the ground". Then he goes into spanish again... :confused:

Hmmm...*Ponders this*

... If it's not asking too much, can I send it to you Angela? Then it might be easier for you - instead of surfing the entire net for the song...

I think that'd be a good idea. We can give it a shot-won't hurt to try, right? :).

:hug: to you for trying and help me - I really appriciate it!

No problem. :hug: :). Happy to help.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

I think that'd be a good idea. We can give it a shot-won't hurt to try, right? :).

Okay, but then I need you to post your e-mail, 'cause I'm not premium, so I can't pm you... :)

I'll send it to you when I get home... I'm on uni. now - supposed to be working on a project about buccal and sublingual administration of analgesia :shifty: but it's a little more fun to be surfing PLEBA :tsk: :wink:

U2Kitten said:
There are ways to get your keyboard to do these things? :shocked: What a surprise!

:ohmy: I didn't know that either - oh well, you learn something new every day! :wink:

U2Kitten said:
Teachers, what is the best way to learn, just write it down or ask questions? What about the grammer? What should I do?

:hmm: I think we can start with you asking questions and writing sentences you want translated... and after some time, when you start to know some words, we can ask you to write or translate something (e.g. from english to danish) and then we can teach you the grammar by telling you what you did wrong or why it's correct...
I don't know if that's the best way to do it - if anyone else has other suggestions, please post them! :yes:

I think that seems like a good way to handle it ^^^^. :).

Merc said:
Okay, but then I need you to post your e-mail, 'cause I'm not premium, so I can't pm you... :)

All right. It's angienic2001@yahoo.com

I'll send it to you when I get home... I'm on uni. now - supposed to be working on a project about buccal and sublingual administration of analgesia :shifty: but it's a little more fun to be surfing PLEBA :tsk: :wink:

LOL, hey, can't say I blame ya. Schoolwork or PLEBA, schoolwork or PLEBA, hmm, what to choose? ;).

Angela

U2Kitten said:

I'm right here!!
Anything you want to know in flemish or dutch (same thing only the accents change,lol) i'll translate for you.
Do you all know that peter Williams from the tour diaries on u2com called our language "gutteral sounds" ? I was NOT pleased by that! They have quite some flemish guys working on tour with them.

How much is Dutch like Flemish? Which is easier to learn?

I want to say, you are ALL AWESOME and I admire you so much for your language skills. I hope I can get it all together and learn when I can concentrate. I'm going to do it no matter how long it takes!

Merc said:
Angela, you got mail! ;)

No you don't! :laugh:

... I did send it, but I got it back 'cause it's too large :slant: Do you want me to zip it and send it again or do you make some room for it in your inbox?! :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom