The Pill...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
I'm 19 and thinking of going on some birth control pill. Not because I need birth control, but a magazine I just read seemed to glorify the Pill and made me realize I should consider it. I get migraines with my period. I didn't know they were migraines, but the magazine called them that (it's like an intense headache with tons of pressure, lights seem too bright, I feel sick and have to lay still with my eyes closed). When I have my period, I get them for two days at the beginning, then nothing for a few days, then two or three more days of headaches. I also get bad cramps which I stop by taking 2 ibuprofen every 4 hours for the first three days. I've always thought the headaches were normal PMS and the cramps I can get around by taking other meds, but the magazine made it sound like the Pill could take away the headaches and lessen the cramping. I guess my questions are:

1) will a birth control pill take away the headaches?

2) will I gain weight?

3) can the same pill that lessens the headaches and cramps help with acne? (I don't have bad acne, but if there's a few different pills and one can do that too, why not?)

4) can anyone tell me how much it costs a month?

I'd avise you to either talk to your doctor or someone else (Planned Parenthood, for example) about the different kinds that are available, and which kind would be best for you.

If you have a headache, take Alleve. Don't get on the pill for that. It messes up your hormonal system and constantly tricks your body into believing it's pregnant. That's not cool.

I get a discount on mine that I get through the health clinic at school - regular pharmacy price is about $30 for one month, I pay $12.

As for the side effects, it reallt depends on the person. My skin was slightly improved going on it, but not a huge difference (it definitely depends on the make-up of the pill as well). I have absolutely none of the PMS signs I used to have, but for some people they don't completely go away. Weight gain is iffy too, you may be coming up to a point in the near future where your metabolism naturally slows down and you would have put on a bit of weight anyway.

It probably won't hurt to try it to see if any of your current problems improve, and if they don't, you may want to try a different pill formulation. Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about it.

Talk to your Gyno. I have migranes and was put on the pill to regulate my cycle and to help with the migranes. Your gyno will prescribe you the appropriate pill for your medical conditions. I have had one terrible allergic reaction to one pill and have had to try out different pills before sticking to the one I am on now.

Pills made me sick and ruined my perfect 28 day cycle. I haven't taken one in years and hope never to take one again.

Yeah, I know, I've got 3 kids. But wanted them. If/when it comes to that reason, it's really not all that easy to get pregnant. There are only 3 days you even have to worry about, it's not that big of a deal to avoid. It's actually harder to get it to hit the right time than it is to avoid it. It wasn't easy to get pregnant, and I was trying and had no gyno problems. But I shouldn't get into that now. :no:

Last edited:
Be careful-my migraines got worse when I went on the pill. Made an executive decision and took myself off of them.
Talk to a doctor
My doc put me on Amerge for the migraines that come with my period. Was on Imitrex but the headaches always came back.
With Amerge, if I catch it early, the Migraine goes away and stays away. :up:

I also have my period for at least 7 days (usually 8-9) which has always been the case but apparently this is considered long. It's not really that big of a deal to me, since I had friends in middle school already on the pill for periods lasting two weeks, but this article made the pill sound like I should be taking it just because. Also, I've never had my period on a regular monthly schedule. I've never cared before since I was told it could take years to sort out, but I've had my period since I was 11 and I still have to guess or be horribly surprised each month. Maybe the pill could help make it more regular?

I'm nowhere near ready to get pregnant, but the article also mentioned that women are more likely to conceive after taking the pill and stopping to get pregnant than never at all.

I'm just worried that I'm taking too much ibuprofen for the headaches and there might be a better solution since it's obviously hormone related.

I'd talk to a doctor if I were you before taking the pill, especially if you take any other prescriptions. I have allergies and asthma that require daily medication. My gynocologist knew off the other medicine I was taking at the time but she didn't seem too concerned by it. The combination of the pill and my other medicine made my blood pressure go up to dangerously high levels. I was dizzy all the time and I really felt like I was drunk. I was only on it for a few months. I can't stop taking my allergy and asthma meds or I can't breathe. My blood pressure was fine before I started taking the pill so my allergist suggested I not take the pill anymore. I didn't know what to do so I went to a general dr and he agreed with my allergist to stop taking the pill. Eventually my blood pressure went back to normal.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't go on it. I'd just recommend you do some homework on the pros and cons of being on the pill before you make a decision like that. A doctor can help you and also maybe find an alternative medicine that would work better for you.

arw9797 said:

I'm not saying that you shouldn't go on it. I'd just recommend you do some homework on the pros and cons of being on the pill before you make a decision like that. A doctor can help you and also maybe find an alternative medicine that would work better for you.

True, which is why I'm asking here since I think hearing from people who've actually tried it can be just as important as lab test and statistics. I'm also considering the pill b/c I'll need it for birth control reasons at some point in my life, so if it works for the headaches, I might as well start it now. Oh, and I don't take any perscription meds. The only medicine I take is pseudoephedrine when I have a cold/sinus infection (rarely), ibuprofen for headaches/cramps (frequently), and naproxen for headaches when I can find some.

If your periods are giving you trouble, keep going to a gynecologist. Find one who listens to you and then talk to him or her about your symptoms. Pumping estrogen into your body requires monitoring, and you want a doctor that will keep track of all the changes the Pill brings.

I've been taking the pill for almost a year and it's been awesome! I used to have really irregular cycles and lots of cramping: the pill (I take Yasmin) regulated the cycle, made it a manageable # of days a month (5) and relieved *some* of the cramping (though my dr also prescribed painkillers). Also, I didn't gain any weight. I actually lost some. I haven't noticed a change in the acne, but I know people who have improved. And with my insurance, I pay about $16 a month, depending on where I get my prescription filled.

Like martha said, make sure to find a good gynecologist first who can talk to you about your options. Also, there's tons of information about the different types of pills on the web.

:) Good luck!

the only problem I had with the pill was remembering to take it every day. Didn't gain weight, skin got a little better... periods were definately shorter, mine used to be a week long too. They will definately get more regular, they're made to do that. Um... I switched to the shot and now I don't get periods at all. I don't know if that will help with your migranes, but it's worth asking about, I think. It costs more but it's good for three months instead of one, so it ends up being about the same or cheaper.

As for the ibuprofin, I really doubt taking a lot of ibuprofin will hurt you. I was injured once and I was taking like eight at a time, and my boyfriend was nagging me about it, so I decided to look up the overdose rate of ibuprofin... It'd take 290-some of them all at once to have a 50% chance of killing me. The only thing I'd worry about is an ulcer... though that stuff's not too bad on your stomach, excedrin or aspirin is a lot worse.
Also, you may have an ibuprofin tolerance. I get a lot of headaches and I have to switch painkillers now and then 'cause they quit working. Try aleve for awhile?

Kristie said:
Um... I switched to the shot and now I don't get periods at all.

:shocked: Chicka, that is not cool. That couldn't be good. You could be headed for serious fertility problems in the future. Mine did that once and I went to the dr. and he gave me pills to start it back up. I'd be worried, please look into this. :hug:

As for the ibuprofin, I really doubt taking a lot of ibuprofin will hurt you. I was injured once and I was taking like eight at a time, and my boyfriend was nagging me about it, so I decided to look up the overdose rate of ibuprofin... Also, you may have an ibuprofin tolerance. I get a lot of headaches and I have to switch painkillers now and then 'cause they quit working. Try aleve for awhile?

That's what I said, Aleve is good! :up: Too much ibuprofin CAN hurt, long term excessive use has been known to cause liver and kidney damage or failure. Football star Kenny Easley took too much for his minor football injuries and ended up with damaged kidneys and had to quit the league. Aspirin will hurt your stomach if you take it too much, but if you always take it with food or milk it will help.

The woman I sit next too at work takes the pill for migraines too. Some brands make it worse but now shes on one thats not too bad. (for her).

As for the comment about getting pregnant. I only have to look at my husband and Im pregnant. I have fallen pregant three times and each time within the first month of trying. My sister on the other hand has been trying for years with no success. You are not going to know what kind of fertililty levels you have until its 'too late". Dont risk it. </end of motherly talk>

Leeloo said:

:shocked: Chicka, that is not cool. That couldn't be good. You could be headed for serious fertility problems in the future. Mine did that once and I went to the dr. and he gave me pills to start it back up. I'd be worried, please look into this. :hug:

It's supposed to happen.

I'm getting back on the pill. I used to be on it because my periods used to last 2 weeks :huh: And I became anemic because of that I had to take the pill. That was the best I had ever been with my period. I had clear skin, my period only lasted 5 days.

I'm about to get back on it because my period has changed a bit and i've got really bad PMS again.

arw9797 said:

:yes:

I'm not an expert on this (yet!), but I am studying pharmacy and I must agree with arw.
Talk to your own doctor - a doctor who knows you - about this. Hear what he/she has to say and what kind of treatment he/she would suggest. Then go and think about it - do some research on the different suggestions of medication your doctor made and then try and make a decition about what you think sounds like the best solution. Then go back and talk to your doctor about it again and tell him/her what you found out...

... though, I must remind you - yes, there are advantages with this medicine, but - as with any medicine - there are side-effects. You have to deside with yourself what is most important - the effects or the side-effects, "calculate" the pros and cons. And this is medicine that interferes with your hormones, which can be both good and bad...

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
but a magazine I just read seemed to glorify the Pill

When you read articles like that you have to consider who wrote them - if it's an article that praises this medicine, it wouldn't surprise me if it was somehow sponsered or payed by the company that produces the medicine - it's not unusual at all, and I'm not critizicing the companies or people who do it, you just have to be a little critical about the information you get and consider that the "bad" information might have been left out...

Merc said:

When you read articles like that you have to consider who wrote them - if it's an article that praises this medicine, it wouldn't surprise me if it was somehow sponsered or payed by the company that produces the medicine - it's not unusual at all, and I'm not critizicing the companies or people who do it, you just have to be a little critical about the information you get and consider that the "bad" information might have been left out...

It was in Cosmo or some women's magazine like that. I think the article was about health issues of certain age brackets (like mentral cramps/migraines in your 20s).

Hey LivLuv have you been to a naturapath or somewhere and had your diet analysed? My friend that also gets monthly migraines is on a no yeast blah blah diet which helps tremendously.

I agree with the other who said you need to talk to a gyn doctor about what options are best for you. I've been on the pill for about six years because of irregular periods and bad cramping (I once passed out from the cramping - that wasn't too much fun
:( ) My gyn at first prescribed naproxin (back before aleve went on the market), but when my periods started becoming irregular I started the pill.

There are many various brands and each has its own side effects. There was one I was on in college that made me really sick to my stomach a few times (it took me awhile before I realized it was the pill that was the problem :( ). But after I switched to a brand with a lower hormone dosage, it's been okay :)

Can someone please explain to me what is considered an irregular period? I get my period for 7 miserable days, the first 3 days my flow is like Niagra Falls, is that considered regular or irregular? And my cramps are bad but I always start attacking the pain with several Advils before that get really strong.

I've seen the ads in the magazine for a birth control pill called Seasonale and it lets you have your period just 4 times a year, god I would love that!

Kristie said:

It's supposed to happen.

Huh? You mean your reproductive system just, shuts down? That is not natural. I still can't believe it wouldn't cause you some kind of problems later.

I don't want that shit in my body. Rubbers :up:

Yes I do realize some of you are taking them for other problems than birth control. But that shot that stops your period, that's messed up. I'd be afraid of it. :no:

SpanishEyes21 said:
I get my period for 7 miserable days, the first 3 days my flow is like Niagra Falls, is that considered regular or irregular? And my cramps are bad but I always start attacking the pain with several Advils before that get really strong.

Sounds pretty normal to me. I have similar . A light day, 2 heavy days, stop for a day, then 3 light days. Go figure. I take nurofen.

As long as your not in crippling pain or having migraines like LivLuv, sounds to me like youre perfectly normal. :up:

There has actually been studies done to show that humans bleed more often than any other animal, and more often than is necessary. Most other animals "go on heat" or are otherwise seasonal. I think the studies said that women only actually need to have three periods a year. If I can remember where I read that I will post it hear.

This has nothing to do w/ LivLuv's original question, but any of you having trouble w/ severe cramps..to try to put this delicately, one good thing I have found is to make sure, starting a few days before your period, that you're "regular" in that other way-either by eating a lot of fiber enriched foods, or supplements if you have to. A friend told me about this, her doctor suggested it. Since I started doing this, it has helped quite a bit. Also I started w/ Tylenol instead of Ibuprofen because Ibu promotes bleeding. I start taking Tylenol a few days before it's supposed to start. It's not as effective for me as Advil is though, so sometimes I take Advil.

There are also herbal supplements that can help w/ symptoms of your period, but of course herbs aren't entirely safe either. I think evening primrose is one of them, but I'm not sure. You can do a lot of research online about all of this stuff.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

It was in Cosmo or some women's magazine like that. I think the article was about health issues of certain age brackets (like mentral cramps/migraines in your 20s).

Oh, okay... but there's still a posibility the article is sponsered or payed by the company that produces the medicine - this is an industry ruled by money and very hard competition and if you can get more ppl to buy your medicine by writing (or paying someone to write) a glorifying article about it, they'll do it... :shrug:

It's not my intention, by writing this, to say that this medicine is bad and you shouldn't use it or anything like that - I'm just saying that you should be critical about the information you get...

Back
Top Bottom