The Pill...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Leeloo said:

Huh? You mean your reproductive system just, shuts down? That is not natural. I still can't believe it wouldn't cause you some kind of problems later.

it stops your eggs from ripening... not everyone loses their period, but it's totally normal (I did go talk to a doctor about it).

But see if it stops the eggs, maybe it might just stop your ovaries from functioning properly and someday you might want a kid and can't have one. Or you might end up with cysts or something when you're older. It's so unnatural, I'd be afraid of it. Not that it's not a good thing to not have a period. I lost mine for a couple months when I was running a lot and it freaked me out. I always heard sick people and girls with eating disorders lost their period. I wanted it to start back up again so I'd know everything was working normal. There are too many "Female problems" that can arise.

I like Mrs Springsteen's ideas about the natural herbs and stuff. Maybe I'm cynical, but I agree with the person who posted that those pills are glorified because there's a lot of money in the business. Doctors also get kickback from pharmacutical companies, so I don't even completely feel comfortable with their recommendation of some things.

Last edited:
Leeloo said:
Maybe I'm cynical, but I agree with the person who posted that those pills are glofied because there's a lot of money in the buisness. Doctors also get kickback from pharmacutical companies, so I don't even completely feel comfortable with a recommendation of some things.

I believe that person was me... :)

Yet again I just feel like reminding you all that I did not write this because I'm against this medicine, 'cause I'm not against it at all - nor did I write it to critizie the companies that might pay money or sponsor the magazine/the writers.

I just want you to be a little critical about the information you get and consider that the "bad" information might have been left out, and thats why you need to do some "homework".

It's correct that some doctors might get "kickback" (<--- I'm not completely sure what you mean by that word - money if they prescribe that companys medicine?! Please tell me if I'm wrong!) by some companies, but you should absolutely not feel less comfortable because of this.
The companies pay these money to try and make sure that the doctor will prescribe their product the next time they have a patient with a certain decease. That companys product is most likely just 1 product out of, let say, 10 products with absolutely the same general main effect. It's only the price and the side-effects that are different from eachother of all of these 10 products. When the company pay the doctor they're hopeing that he will remember them the next time he has to prescribe medicine, and therefore choose their product and not the other 9 from the other companies.
There is absolutely no need feel uncomfortable with your doctors recommendation of medicine - he/she will always try to choose the best treatment for you!

Leeloo said:
But see if it stops the eggs, maybe it might just stop your ovaries from functioning properly and someday you might want a kid and can't have one. Or you might end up with cysts or something when you're older. It's so unnatural, I'd be afraid of it.

the pill stops the eggs too. It does the exact same thing as the pill, except you don't have to take one every day.
You don't actually get your period on the Pill, what you get is when you take the placebo pills you have withdrawl bleeding. This is why if you miss more than.. what, 3 pills? your period starts. Since the shot obviously doesn't have any placebo-ness, you get no period. A lot of women who do really hardcore backpacking or the like will deliberately skip the placebo pills so they don't have to deal with it out in the wilderness.

Anyway, I'm not worried about it.

Either way, I'm willing to make some sacrifices (moeny, side effects) to not endure five days of migraines a month.

Just to contribute my 2 cents worth, I have no real objection to the Pill, however I have resisted taking it cause I just don't really like the thought of all those chemicals in my body. I just figure with all the crap we ingest daily with hormone injected food, the pollution we breathe and so on, my body doesn't need any more to deal with.
That being said, I am currently on the Pill, after more than 8 years off it, because that is what suits me best at this point in time. Until my husband does something permanent about birth control, the Pill will have to be it.
Just about the 3 monthly injection, I had always heard that you should not consider having that until you were not wanting to have any more children. It can interfere with your ovulation for some time, well after it should have worn off.
A close girlfriend of mine had the 3 monthly injection just once, then needed to have IVF 12 months later because she still wasn't ovulating.
My advice would be to talk to your docter and find out what is best to meet your needs.

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Either way, I'm willing to make some sacrifices (moeny, side effects) to not endure five days of migraines a month.

It took me a long time to get to that attitude, much to the dismay of my family and friends. The headaches ruined a lot of good times. Don't let that happen to you.
Talk to a Doctor-there is something that will help you.

I don't doubt it. That sounds absolutely hellish. Good luck!

I've been on the pill for 13 years, have never had any side effects, never had any pregnancy 'scares' and the length of my period has always been 7 days.

If you do this just to avoid headaches or cramps (not as birthcontrol),i think it's best to talk to your doctor. The're able to advice you best as every person is different. I personally wouldn't take all these extra hormones if not needed.

U2Kitten said:
Pills made me sick and ruined my perfect 28 day cycle. I haven't taken one in years and hope never to take one again.

Yeah, I know, I've got 3 kids. But wanted them. If/when it comes to that reason, it's really not all that easy to get pregnant. There are only 3 days you even have to worry about, it's not that big of a deal to avoid. It's actually harder to get it to hit the right time than it is to avoid it. It wasn't easy to get pregnant, and I was trying and had no gyno problems. But I shouldn't get into that now. :no:

Hey Kitten,
we have more in common that I thought,I'm also a mother of 3.

But I never had any trouble getting pregnant. So,I don't know if I could agree with not worrying about those 3 or 4 days:hmm:

Kristie said:

it stops your eggs from ripening... not everyone loses their period, but it's totally normal (I did go talk to a doctor about it).

:up:

Its perfectly safe to have no period as long as you have no underlying problems. Fertility is usually restored within 3 months to a year after stopping the pill or shots. And it is true that you don't "need" to have a period every month to be healthy. If you are on the pill, the lining of the uterus that you would normally shed during your period isn't there...its not like you have something there that needs to be released. Stopping ovulation isn't dangerous either.

*disclaimer

These facts were learned from various doctors over the past 15 years while trying to find some sort of solution to my never-ending female problems. It is true that everyone reacts differently to hormones and every woman is different. What works for me might not work for you. I'm not trying to push my beliefs on anyone. My younger sister started the pill at 17 and had the same problems as U2kitten, so I know its not always perfect.

I think for a young healthy woman, the pill can be like a miracle. It can ease many different symptoms that make life hell for some girls...cramps, heavy bleeding, headaches, irregular cycles.

And just a word about Tylenol and Aleve....both are bad if taken in large quantities or over a long period of time and shouldn't be used in place of a doctor's visit if your pain is severe. I was given prescription strength Aleve for cramps and after 5 years, the lining of my stomach was so messed up, I had to stop taking it.

A side note - my understanding was that the injections worked so well because they took away any desire at all to have sex (and make you super duper crabby) :shifty:

At least that's what a girl I worked with told me :huh:

bonosloveslave said:
A side note - my understanding was that the injections worked so well because they took away any desire at all to have sex (and make you super duper crabby) :shifty:

my friend was on that and her desire to have sex wasn't curbed at all.. :shifty:

must be a different reaction to the meds.

While I'm here, lol, does anyone know for a fact about the whole "you must take the pill at the SAME time every night" line? Is that just to help you remember to take it, or does that help in the BC process? :huh: I've heard both.

I'm considering going to an endocrinologist because I have a problem too. When I have my period I have to stay in bed one or two days because it hurts a lot and sometimes I faint :sad: . A friend of mine tried the pill and it worked great for her.

when I consulted a doctor the first time, one of the choices he gave me was taking the pill,( but my parents said "no" then), and I had to take very strong drugs for the pain, that didn't fix the problem and I still had to go to the emergency room each month. Now, that I'm older I can make my own choices about my health, so I'm going to take the pill.

While I'm here, lol, does anyone know for a fact about the whole "you must take the pill at the SAME time every night" line? Is that just to help you remember to take it, or does that help in the BC process? I've heard both.

I think the thing with taking it at the same time every day is to keep the hormone levels at a steady interval...if you go too long between pills, you're hormone levels can dip and depending on where you are in your cycle, pregnancy is possible.

And contrary to what some women think, taking 2 pills if you miss one is not going to work...it will probably just make you sick :wink:

*edited because I forgot to quote Carrie :D

Last edited:
bonosloveslave said:

:no:

It may happen to some women but its not supposed to take away your sex drive...its only supposed to inhibit ovulation. I have heard of women getting really bad PMS symtoms though.

I went on the needle and it really messed me up. My sex drive was nil and I suffered from 'pregnancy symptoms' which I later discovered were a normal side effect. Combine that side effect with not getting your period though :huh:

greety said:

If you do this just to avoid headaches or cramps (not as birthcontrol),i think it's best to talk to your doctor. The're able to advice you best as every person is different. I personally wouldn't take all these extra hormones if not needed.

I'll need it as birth control eventually which is why I'm considering starting now. The migraines weren't such a nusance in high school, but now that I'm either in school full time or working more than full time, I literally can't afford to be in pain and not be productive for five days.

I do worry about taking too much ibuprofen b/c when I start my period, I'm taking 2-3 every 4 hours for 3-4 days and I know that's way more than the bottle says. I've got enough stomach/digestive issues already so I'd prefer not to destroy any organs with a continuous overdose of ibuprofen.

If the pill does have a negative effect when trying to get pregnant, I guess my attitude would be I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I've always considered adopting kids anyway. Besides, my mom had no problems getting pregnant three times after being on the pill. If my future is going to be similar to anyone's, it would be similar to hers.

I asked her about the pill and I think she thinks it's a good idea. She said it took away her cramps and made her period 3-5 light days instead of 3-4 heavy days plus 3-4 light days (which is what mine is too). She didn't have headaches like mine, but I know that they are hormone related since I never get them otherwise (unless I'm inhaling pollen or have a sinus infection).

We have shitty insurance, but the one good thing is that most perscription drugs never cost more than $3 a fill so if the pill I need is on the list, I'm good to go.

I do worry about taking too much ibuprofen b/c when I start my period, I'm taking 2-3 every 4 hours for 3-4 days and I know that's way more than the bottle says.

This is what I was doing before I had my organs removed.

I think you're smart to pursue this. It's not healthy to lose that much blood, and there's no reason to suffer for days from your period. Lots of people who don't have difficult periods will tell you not to do things, but with careful thought and consultation with doctors, your life can be more comfortable and productive. No woman in this century should have to be miserable and nearly incapacitated by her periods.

Last edited:
LivLuv, I will repeat many here - talk to a doctor - a lot. It took my doctor years to diagnose my "sinus headaches" as migraines. Birth control is not the only option. In fact after I had my son I tried taking them and it was a disaster. They could make your headaches worse. There are some anti-depressant meds, blood pressure meds (this is my option), and even anti-seizure meds that help prevent migraines, but they need to be taken daily and have their own side effects. And if you are only getting 5 a month, the triptan-based medications may be all you need. I say only 5 because I can sometimes have 10-15 a month - and usually a breakdown with them when they get that bad. My doc said if they are hormone related (mine usually are, sounds like yours too) that the pill would make them worse, but I too am curious about the 3-month pill and if it is something I can do.... All I really want to say is there are many options, your doctor should know best, but if it doesn't sound good for you, talk to another doctor. Good luck in your search, and I hope it is short:hug: :hug:

greety said:

Hey Kitten,
we have more in common that I thought,I'm also a mother of 3.

But I never had any trouble getting pregnant. So,I don't know if I could agree with not worrying about those 3 or 4 days:hmm:

Hey, I didn't know that! :wave:

I didn't really have trouble, but it didn't happen right away. I mean there are only about 3 days when the egg is in the right place to be fertilized, and sperm might live inside you for a day or two, so at the most it's a week you have to worry about, so just don't do it during that week :eek: Well that works fine for me. But when I DID try during that time most of the time I didn't get pregnant. anyway. But of course you have to have a regular cycle and know it very well. I could always tell when I was ovulating because it felt like something pinching. So I knew, okay, if you want a kid this is the time, if not then don't :censored: ;)

BTW, I just want to tell you and anyone else who might have sent something, don't get mad if I don't answer your emails right away. This computer is SO SLOW opening yahoo and clicking on this and that (even worse than this forum) :yawn: sometimes I only check it every few days or once a week. But I will get back to you sometime! :wave:

Last edited:
Me too,I don't check my mail every day. But I got yours,thanks for the response:hug:
And when your comp. is a bit faster try the gost thingy!!
Are you here every day? I wish I could but that's not possible. Pleba and interference is addicting though:drunk:

I do worry about taking too much ibuprofen b/c when I start my period, I'm taking 2-3 every 4 hours for 3-4 days and I know that's way more than the bottle says.

You have a good reason to be worried - This is absolutely not very good! :no:

Ibuprofen is a NSAID = Non Steroid Anti-Inflamatorical Drug. With the (way too high) doses you're taking you have a very high risk of experiencing the dangerous gastric side-effects (gastric haemorrhage, bleeding gastric ulcer <--- I'm not completely sure what you call it in English) and/or intoxication!

There is a reason for the dosage written on the medicine bottle - please do not try and experiment with a higher dosage and believe that everything will be fine!

I've said this before, and everyone else here is saying it too - Please go and talk to a Doctor as soon as possible! ...and tell him/her how much Ibuprofen you've been taken to ease the cramps.

Merc said:

There is a reason for the dosage written on the medicine bottle - please do not try and experiment with a higher dosage and believe that everything will be fine!

I've said this before, and everyone else here is saying it too - Please go and talk to a Doctor as soon as possible! ...and tell him/her how much Ibuprofen you've been taken to ease the cramps.

I do take your info seriously, but I just thought I'd say that ironically, the Dr. I'll probably go to (my mom's) told her she could take twice as many ibuprofen for her cramps (4 instead of 2) but not every time. You really can take a LOT more than what the bottle says, BUT I've got other stomach problems and do NOT want any more risk of ulcers, etc.

Back
Top Bottom