"The Only U2 Interview You'll Ever Have To Read"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edgette

ONE love, blood, life
From u2.com

Observing U2

It's being billed as 'the only U2 interview you'll ever have to read'. It's in tomorrows edition of The Observer newspaper in the UK and it's conducted by legendary pop culture critic Paul Morley - who was writing about U2 when they were just starting out.

The Observer Music Magazine describes U2's performance at Twickenham in London this summer as the No.1 'Gig of the Year' - closely followed by The Stooges, Gorillaz, Cream, Patti Smith and Robbie Williams.

We'll bring you some extracts from the interview once it hit the streets tomorrow - but if you're in the UK, could be one to snap up.

observer_17dec05.jpg

If anyone happens to grab a copy, scans and/or a transcript would be appreciated. :bow:

Oh, YAY! Something I can get! Lol! I'll definitely be getting that! If no one else scans it I'll do it. :)

WildHoney said:

I'll try & get as many copies as i can in the morning :D

has visions of wild and jem in newsagents with like 10+ copies all excited :hyper:

newsagents face: :ohmy: :eyebrow: :lol:

:lmao:

im getting a few for my pleba girlies, wil try get as many as i can though

will post on here if i have any spare copies :hug:

do they tend to sell that paper at like Borders in the US?
I know they sell some Sunday UK editions at such stores, but I forget which ones...

sounds so enticing!

cheers...

ShellBeThere said:
do they tend to sell that paper at like Borders in the US?
I know they sell some Sunday UK editions at such stores, but I forget which ones...

sounds so enticing!

cheers...

Borders and another local book store in my area carry the Sunday Observer but the only concern I have is whether this section will be in the international edition.

I'll check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for the info! :applaud:

Thanks Diane
I love this 1980's review :bono: "Like Mork the unpredictable alien he's irrepressible, irritating and accidentally, incidentally and purposefully incisive." :yes: :lol:

'The singer could grow up to be a nuisance ...'

Paul Morley's 1980 review of U2

U2, Soul Boys Moonlight, Club NME, 1980

Two newcomers playing either side of the Xmas go-slow. Plenty of gaps in the gathering for the U2 show, but of the two they're the ones with obvious commercial potential. U2 are sharp and subtle and cynical, slyly seductive in an uncompromising way like The Pretenders or The Au Pair. A pop that isn't pap and pad, a safe cushion of clichés and convenience, but angles, urgency, deflections. U2 are style plus spontaneity, an uncouth grace, an agile synthesis of abusive and abrasive ways to use up all that evil and inviting '60s- '70s tradition. Subversive pop can be so stimulating, slapping and stinging when you least expect it, beautifully bittersweet. Of course, U2 are still young and free of bizzy contradictions, so I can have my fun with no guilt. And if the wild wit and serious rave of U2 won't turn you on, they look so cute. Pretty drummer, odd bassist, tense guitarist, and to deliver their jittery balance of amiability and aggression a lead singer who could well grow to be something of a nuisance when U2 are TOTP regulars but right now adds tingles to the greedy Bobsie presence. Like Mork the unpredictable alien he's irrepressible, irritating and accidentally, incidentally and purposefully incisive. A multitude of targets are shot at, a few are bound to be hit.

U2 are from Dublin, showband roots not a total secret. A group made for loving and leaving, for burning into view and then burning up. When a group's in view it's so hard for them to envisage being a nonentity again. You have to sigh. But for now - U2, here they are."

oh my god that man has a way with words...love that review from way back when! but how could he be so very wrong with what he appears to be saying at the end of it?!

cheers all!

More like the only Bono interview you'll ever have to read. The other boys are barely mentioned, and when they are, it's to talk about Bono. Lame.

I'd heard crew members talking about a possible Hawaii show last week, so I guess it's confirmed then. God, I'd give anything to be at that show... U2 + Hawaii = heaven.

Thanks for [posting this, it was great! I am in Hawaii if they do play there....I'll go just for the show, IMHO Hawaii is so over-rated and ocer-crowded with tourists.:wink:

Golly, that article was over-rated. You'd think there'd be some new tidbit of information in there. Apart from the Hawaii thing being sorta confirmed, there was nothing I hadn't heard before. And I expected more than two paragraphs for Adam, Edge and Larry.

Very disappointed. :tsk:

I did enjoy two bits of it:

"I think it might be time for a departure with the next album, I think we can make some extraordinary music, get some of that otherness back we had in the Nineties"

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :hyper:

And

"Today his hoodie has been pulled on over a bare chest, and wiry grey hairs tumble out into the open."

...Oh my. :drool:

Meghan said:
Golly, that article was over-rated. You'd think there'd be some new tidbit of information in there. Apart from the Hawaii thing being sorta confirmed, there was nothing I hadn't heard before. And I expected more than two paragraphs for Adam, Edge and Larry.

Very disappointed. :tsk:

:up: Agreed.

:angry: Been to all the shops in my locality either the Observer is extremely popular today or because it's not a best seller the shops don't stock many copies:ohmy:

I spent 1 1/2 looking only to find 1 copy :lol:

And the pictures with the article have all been seen before :sigh:

WildHoney said:
:angry: Been to all the shops in my locality either the Observer is extremely popular today or because it's not a best seller the shops don't stock many copies:ohmy:

I spent 1 1/2 looking only to find 1 copy :lol:

And the pictures with the article have all been seen before :sigh:

thanks for trying.

I'll be checking the bookstore to see if they have it throughout the week, month, whenever...

If it's out in the UK today, then it'll be another little bit until it's out here but I will check...IT WILL BE MINE AND OURS!!

"since the stocky Irish kid with a gift on his shoulder became world champion philanthropic fundraising performing playboy poet pop star multi-millionaire philosopher of persuasion with a strong political habit and a halo of lusty pretension."

that would be about the best Bono description Ive read in a while :)

"his penetrating, mesmeric eyes " I never knew even men see it!
:drool: gotta love the eyes

Back
Top Bottom