The most pathetic U2 thing you've ever done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well 25 years ago my then boyfriend, now husband, bought an album that had just come out by a totally unknown band just for the heck of it. He was in a band and used to like to pick up new unknowns and give them a listen. Well it was by a band called "U2 Boy" (so we mistakenly thought at the time). For the following 25 years, every single time one of us said, or heard someone say "you too", we will look at each other and say "boy!"

we know we are pathetic but can't help it, it's a part of our being now.

Sadly we did not become fans at that time, he and his buddies had a wee bit too much to drink that night and used the album for a frisbee and I never got to hear it. (sacrilege... I know) But the "U2 Boy" thing just stuck with us and has been with us ever since!

oh and does getting on a plane and travelling a thousand miles and spending over a thousand dollars on the trip for 1 night of being in Bono's presence count as pathetic? No. Right?

bonocomet said:

oh and does getting on a plane and travelling a thousand miles and spending over a thousand dollars on the trip for 1 night of being in Bono's presence count as pathetic? No. Right?

HELL NO!
if I had the money, I'd do that right away!... I'd give my sister to meet him!!!!!!!!!

Galeongirl said:

HELL NO!
if I had the money, I'd do that right away!... I'd give my sister to meet him!!!!!!!!!

Haha, your poor sister :)

Plus I am terrified of flying and hadn't flown for 17 years! But I knew I had to get on that plane or I would never make it for the show. I just sat there thinking about the fact that at the end of this flight was U2 and I would finally be seeing them with my own eyes. And I thought about Bono. It was very calming. :)

(Oh and I DID'NT have the money... I charged the whole thing. :huh: )

Got one from tonight.

But first, I have to say that I may poke fun at Edge's fashion sense sometimes, but honestly I have two shirts exactly like his. One is worn during Rattle & Hum (the one during WTSHNN-yes, it's sad that I know what song it's worn during) except mine is yellow & black. The other is the green Edun shirt he wore recently in New Orleans and in the Rolling Stone pictures. Yeah, I need to stop picking on him.

Anyway, my mother and I hit Saks after work just to peruse the sale items and see if there was any new Edun clothing. There was one shirt kind of like this one:
ECopenhagen.jpg

This shirt was white with two huge black crows (or ravens) that look a bit like Rorschach tests. I turned to Mom and said "I can totally see Edge in that shirt."

Apparently so could someone else. When I turned around, I came face to face with a mannequin wearing the shirt, jeans, and a denim jacket and a black beanie. Seriously. :lol:

There was much snickering between us. There's no way that was an accident. I wish I could have taken a picture, but I don't think the nice gentleman working in that department would appreciate it.

"This shirt was white with two huge black crows (or ravens) that look a bit like Rorschach tests. I turned to Mom and said "I can totally see Edge in that shirt." LOLLL!! you are so cool. <3

ok here's mine. i wouldn't really call it pathetic, though ;]

So on August 8th my friends and i celebrated the Edge's 44th birthday at BJ's. for those nonsouthern californians, BJ's is a gourmet pizza place famous for its trademark 'pizookies' which are huge pizza-sized cookies served with ice cream on top. if it's your birthday, they give you a small sized one for free.
I made my friends sing happy birthday to the Edge out loud [it was fun getting stares, hahahah] and my friend who really wanted the free pizookie said her nickname was the Edge. ;] good times.

bearleft said:
Got one from tonight.

But first, I have to say that I may poke fun at Edge's fashion sense sometimes, but honestly I have two shirts exactly like his. One is worn during Rattle & Hum (the one during WTSHNN-yes, it's sad that I know what song it's worn during) except mine is yellow & black. The other is the green Edun shirt he wore recently in New Orleans and in the Rolling Stone pictures. Yeah, I need to stop picking on him.

Anyway, my mother and I hit Saks after work just to peruse the sale items and see if there was any new Edun clothing. There was one shirt kind of like this one:
ECopenhagen.jpg

This shirt was white with two huge black crows (or ravens) that look a bit like Rorschach tests. I turned to Mom and said "I can totally see Edge in that shirt."

Apparently so could someone else. When I turned around, I came face to face with a mannequin wearing the shirt, jeans, and a denim jacket and a black beanie. Seriously. :lol:

There was much snickering between us. There's no way that was an accident. I wish I could have taken a picture, but I don't think the nice gentleman working in that department would appreciate it.

awww you should've taken a picture!!!!! heh and wich other two shirts do you mean??

Oh and this one IS pathetic... I saw an ipod ad in the paper with the teeny tiny little pic of Bono on the screen and said to my husband Look it's Bono! Then I threw the ad in the recycle bin. Later I kept thinking about the little Bono out there in the bin and felt bad and had to go rescue him. :)

Galeongirl said:

awww you should've taken a picture!!!!! heh and wich other two shirts do you mean??

It just didn't feel right. The salesman was so nice and polite; I just couldn't whip out the camera and shoot the mannequin. He actually didn't think I was nuts.

And the shirts are the one he wore in New Orleans (and in someone's candid shot- sorry I forgot who posted it on the Freestylin' thread)
edunedgeshirt.jpg

(scan from nurse chrissi )

and the one in the color songs from Rattle & Hum:

edgerhwtshnn1.jpg

edgerhwowy.jpg

For that last one, his is kind of blue/grey and black; mine is yellow and black. We have the exact same Edun shirt though.

bonocomet said:
Oh and this one IS pathetic... I saw an ipod ad in the paper with the teeny tiny little pic of Bono on the screen and said to my husband Look it's Bono! Then I threw the ad in the recycle bin. Later I kept thinking about the little Bono out there in the bin and felt bad and had to go rescue him. :)

:wave: I do stuff like that all the time. I also feel really bad when there's a U2 CD fairly cheap at a used record store. I have a hard time leaving it. Thankfully, I haven't gotten to the point where I pick up every used CD.

Dismantled said:

thats awesome!!!:rockon:

You saw them at Nortre Dame:drool: ! I have a bootleg of that show:drool: :D

I have a bootleg of that show, too--and I still play the hell out of it! :wink: Joyce Center is pretty small--the heart barely fit on the floor--and swandiver and I got seats behind the stage. We were so close, we could see everything! And we had no cameras with us. :tsk:

Last edited:
Gosh I wish I could buy Edun clothes here :drool: :drool: :drool:

Hey I always feel bad for tiny tiny Bono pics... there was one in the TV magazine and it was soooooooo tiny: I mean tiniest of all and with newspaper printing quality :huh:, BUT in full colour :wink: Anyway, it was Bono greeting Bush and I just couldn't leave it... so I cut it and now I've kept it for almost a year :lol: True story!!! :p

oh in one of my mothers magazines one of the 'better' columnists wrote an open letter to Bono! :p it was pretty funny!
oh and talk about pathetic.... my sister went to paris, and I asked her to get me a copy of the mag VSD, since Michka Assayas has a column in that.. she did.. and I :faint: ... inside was a A5 sized piece of paper with the HTDAAB cover on it, it was an ad for the tour of last july there.. (wonder why it was in a recent mag, but still) that is SO gonna be on my wall! :) and a friend of mine, wich I made a u2 fan(okay not that big yet, but it'll grow!) bought a teen music mag, and inside is a U2 poster.. :) and she will give it to me after the holidasy.. including a little piece+picture about Bono, and his quote that the songs in the church he dislikes etc.. :D yay I'm finally getting a little bit of a collection! it's still nothing much but stil... :D

bearleft said:

:wave: I do stuff like that all the time. I also feel really bad when there's a U2 CD fairly cheap at a used record store. I have a hard time leaving it. Thankfully, I haven't gotten to the point where I pick up every used CD.

Yay! It feels good to know we are not alone in these little crazy little things!!

Today I was trying on a skirt for a wedding I'm attending and Beautiful Day came on over the store's music, and I was like ok thats my sign that this is the one I am meant to buy! :huh:

bonocomet said:

Today I was trying on a skirt for a wedding I'm attending and Beautiful Day came on over the store's music, and I was like ok thats my sign that this is the one I am meant to buy! :huh:

Wow I think stuff like that all the time :ohmy: It's good to know I'm not the only freak!! :up: Worst of all is... I do pay attention to stuff like that :lol:

VicksSs said:

Wow I think stuff like that all the time :ohmy: It's good to know I'm not the only freak!! :up: Worst of all is... I do pay attention to stuff like that :lol:

Thank you so much for saying that!!! I feel so at home here!! :)

My mates and I where in the city and we walked past this XXX shop and they had one of those poster type things in those cages, you know to promote the TIME mag, which is odd for 'that' shop to have that mag. Any ways, my friend had a go at tryin to take the damn thing from the lil cage doova! So where stading out the front of this shop while his tryin to nick the poster, then he decided he was going to go IN and ask for it. Mind you were 16-17. That would have gone down well, in the end I just looked every where for both the TIME mag and Rolling Stone. I found them. :drool:

-Nikki

I cut out every little article about U2 or Bono... :)
and I had something very pathetic, but I seem to have forgotten it now... I do have a bad memory yes.. if I remember Ill post it :lol:

labell said:
Everythng... I hear it played in a store I grab whoever is with me and shout at them to listen...

whenever there is just a picture of one of them on tv I make everyone look.

and lately I don't like to miss Edge's music rising commercial!

I'm positive their is more. :wink:

YEAH! i do that too... i was in a pac sun and they started playing ABOY and i grabbed my friend and started jumping up and down. I was like... IT's U2 ITS U2 WOOOHOOO! they almost kicked me out of the store >.<

i've also stolen several magizines from my doctor and dentist offices because they had a u2 article in there ....

u2ilovethem said:

YEAH! i do that too... i was in a pac sun and they started playing ABOY and i grabbed my friend and started jumping up and down. I was like... IT's U2 ITS U2 WOOOHOOO! they almost kicked me out of the store >.<

i've also stolen several magizines from my doctor and dentist offices because they had a u2 article in there ....

rofl that's so brilliant!!! U2 thievery! :lol:
oh and I seem to forget everything Non-U2... everything important I forget, schoolwork and stuff... but I seem to remember every single U2 detail :p it's always funny and useful when people try to be funny and ask me some random questions, birthdates and stuff.. and they're :shocked: when I answer it all.... not that they know if it's right, but I do :lol:

when i was in dublin for the first time, i totally freaked out just by seeing a guinness ad which said "beLIEve".

Then, later in the dart to Killiney, my friend and i couldn't stop saying how beautiful those 2 chimneys (you know from the pride-video) are. people around us didn't really understand that :huh:

On Merrion Square we walked on the street to sing Sweetest Thing, avoiding a lot of cars.

And a few weeks ago, i got interviewed for my company's newspaper about my bono-meeting in miami in november, it was published (including the picture of course) and now all 500 employees think i'm pathetic, because i'm waaaayyyy over 18.....

u2ilovethem said:

I must confess to having inadvertently walked out of the dentist's office a few years ago with a copy of "Newsweek" under my arm--in plain sight! :reject:

Yesterday, I was in a Williams Sonoma store with my mom and I heard this string music playing in the store, that had a familiar sound. Then I realized that it was a string performance of Beautiful Day, I know it was...because I could recognize the melody.

So of course I freaked out and nearly shouted "It's a string version of Beautiful Day!!!!!" Then I started laughing, and then coughing because I was laughing so hard. Then I tried singing along, except my mom told me to be quiet :tsk:

Luckily, there weren't many people in the store, so I don't think I got many stares :wink:

I've done many pathetic U2 things in my life... but I suppose something that's constant is that every morning before I go to school, I start off my day with U2.
I set my computer the night before to a music video, usually Beautiful Day, OOTS, or Elevation.
So I wake up, go to the bathroom and pop in a U2 mix cd of 'uplifting' songs and I listen to them while brushing my teeth, putting in my contacts, etc.
Then I come to my room, turn my screen on, and watch the videos while I change my clothes, etc.
Then when I'm eating breakfast and leave my house to get the bus, I listen to U2 on my iPod.

Another strange thing I do, is try to talk in an Irish accent and/or act like Bono, any other U2 members. :reject: :reject: :reject:
It's hilarious because I'm Korean and my brother just stares at me awkwardly, knowing that I'm trying to talk with an accent. :eyebrow:

So I learned to just try to talk in an Irish accent when no one's around. :wink:

Hey YTE^ there is nothing like starting your day with a U2 song buzzing delightfully in your ear!!! I cannot think of any other way to start the day!!! I also like to speak in a Irish accent when I am kidding around with my friends...I get these looks all the time:huh:

I say "is it cause I am black that you are not buying the accent":eyebrow:

:lmao:

When I go in Wal-Mart, I amke sure all the U2 cd's / dvd's are properly organized and pulled front and center

Back
Top Bottom