The G8 Summit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a press conference with Bono and Bob Geldof coming up in the next few mins...an interviewee on BBC News 24 just said they had to dash off for it.

Tony Blair is holding a press conference right now but I believe Bono is at another one :)

G-8 Leaders Agree on $50B in African Aid

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050708/ap_on_re_eu/g8

"With a last-minute pledge from Japan, Blair won a key victory, announcing that aid to Africa would rise from the current $25 billion annually to $50 billion by 2010.

Blair, however, lost in his push to get all summit countries to commit to boosting foreign aid to an amount equal to 0.7 percent of national income by 2015. Instead, a summit document said the European Union had agreed to that support but did not mention the United States.

President Bush had refused to be bound by the 0.7 percent target. The United States is currently giving 0.16 percent of national income, the smallest percentage of any of the G-8 countries.

Blair ticked off a list of accomplishments from a meeting that nonetheless produced less than he had hoped going in. The major failure was in the area of global warming, where staunch opposition from Bush thwarted Blair's efforts to get a U.S. commitment to firm targets for reducing the greenhouse gas emissions blamed for warming the earth's atmosphere.

Aside from the massive increase in aid for the African continent, leaders signaled support for new deals on trade, endorsed cancellation of the debt of 18 of the world's poorest nations, pledged universal access to AIDS treatment, renewed their commitment to a peacekeeping force in Africa and heard African leaders promise to move toward democracies that follow the rule of law, he said."

9101f8e0.jpg

479b6dae.jpg

d14be40d.jpg

enajh2 said:
Press briefing video is on my website.....Blair, Bono and Richard Curtis speak for a couple of mins to BBC reporter Andrew Marr :)

http://www.thegoalissoul.cjb.net/

G8SummitPressConferenceBBCNews2406-07-2005DVD.jpg

Will you be putting this back up at some point? I came here sort of late and now it's offline.
Great site you have, pitty I can only access it with IE (don't know why mozilla won't work for it :madspit: )

I am uploading it Greety... I know you're good at reuploading just in case it runs out

:wave:

Last edited:
I'm afraid I can only put up one at the moment...and I'd rather leave up the Murrayfield one for now in the hope that everyone will get the chance to see it :)

My webspace is only 55Mb.

Bono @ Live 8 Murrayfield = 48.9Mb
U2 @ Live 8 Hyde Park = 53Mb
G8 Summit conference = 12Mb

:)

Thanks Miroslava :wink:

Bono, and Bob holding press conference NOW

They didn't show Bono's speech but he is now taking questions

Says he's not satisfied and is going to "kick Blair's butt"!! :lol:

:applaud: for Sky News! One on one interview with Bono :)

G8SummitBBCNews24_08072005.jpg

Last edited:
kellyahern said:

Actually, I don't think it's Blair's butt he should be kicking *cough*Bush*cough* :shifty:.

I get the feeling Blair's not satisfied either.

You could tell from Blair's body language that he hoped to be announcing more, and would have avoided a few awkward questions if he had! :laugh:

kellyahern said:

Actually, I don't think it's Blair's butt he should be kicking *cough*Bush*cough* :shifty:.

I get the feeling Blair's not satisfied either.

Well it seems you're right about that! Blair has made his mistakes in the past as well, but he seems to come out strong out of this summit. Bush really disappointed people, in terms of environment. And Chiraque (and also Schroeder) should have been more willing to talk about fare trade arrangements.

53210805.jpg

I fear that Bono and Bob are now dressing each other -nothing good can come from this unholy fashion alliance:wink:

on another note - go Bono and Bob:applaud:

edited - do you think they called each other this morning to find out what color shirt to wear? :wink:

I just got an awesome interview with Bono off BBC News 24 outside the Gleneagles hotel! :D

EDIT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :scream: The audio is scrambled :sad: Too much reading/writing to my hard drive going on :sigh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom