The Clarence in for major overhaul

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Developer joins U2 stars in EU150m Clarence project

Irish Times, January 16, 2007

Frank McDonald

Dublin's Clarence Hotel, owned by U2's Bono and the Edge, in partnership with property developer Paddy McKillen, is to be redeveloped at a cost of EU150 million as "one of the most spectacular city hotels in Europe".

The scheme, designed by international architects Foster and Partners, is to be submitted shortly to Dublin City Council. It would incorporate the former Dollard printing works and four Georgian buildings on Wellington Quay.

Only the quayside facades of the existing hotel and adjoining buildings - all of which are protected structures - would be retained, although the oak panelling from the Clarence's Octagon Bar is to be salvaged for re-use.

The rear elevations of the hotel and adjoining buildings on East Essex Street would be demolished in their entirety and replaced by a undulating glazed facade, with shops and cafés at street level and bedrooms above.

The existing hotel, which has only 34 bedrooms, has lost up to EU12 million since its refurbishment 10 years' ago. Bono (Paul Hewson) and the Edge (David Evans) were advised to sell, but decided to bring Mr McKillen on board.

They set up the Clarence Partnership, which is split 50-50 between the two U2 band members on the one hand and Mr McKillen on the other. His largest project in Dublin to date has been the Jervis Centre on Mary Street.

A hotel for the past 140 years, the new Clarence will have 114 bedrooms and 28 suites, if planning permission is granted for the project. It will also have a 1,360sq m (14,640sq ft) spa - the first on this scale in central Dublin.

Andy Bow, a senior partner in Norman Foster's practice, said the new hotel would be organised around a "skycatcher" atrium - shaped like an elongated hourglass - rising from a 25-metre swimming pool in the basement to the roof.

An elliptical canopy with a reflective surface - a "white hovering halo", as Mr Bow described it - would cover the structure, uniting its different elements, and this would be topped by a fully-glazed "skyroom" with panoramic views.

The development will incorporate a number of sustainability strategies, including natural light and ventilation, to ensure that it will function as an energy-efficient and environmentally sensitive mixed-use hotel, spa and conference facility.

Mr Bow said the city council's planners were "hugely supportive" of the scheme, while conservationists were also positive. "There's a sense that people think it would be great to have a 21st century hotel like this in Dublin."

Norman Foster described it as "an ambitious project - architecturally and structurally [ that] presents an exciting opportunity to regenerate Temple Bar's river frontage, while also creating a bold new addition to Dublin's skyline."

© 2007 The Irish Times

There's been talk of this for a couple of years now; it sounds like an exciting project. Maybe this huge investment into Dublin's core will somewhat muffle the tax-related hatred (but probably not).

Thats going to be huge.. I didn't realise they had lost so much money since the referbishment!

Galeongirl said:
that sounds really nice! :drool: a spa!

but I hope they'll still be open this summer cuz I want to try some coctails!

:drool: I haven't had cocktails for years...You comment made me remember them. They were...:drool: :drool: and I remember at the time thinking: Hey these don't taste very alcoholic and then suddenly finding that the floor was nearer then I thought. :lol: Yay, verily I say unto ye...bring on ye cocktails....:drool:

....especially if you're in the Clarence....you never know, you might think you've just seen Bono...:yes:

...when in reality you've just snogged the face off some total stranger just because he's short and wears dark glasses...:lol: :lol:

youvedonewhat said:

:drool: I haven't had cocktails for years...You comment made me remember them. They were...:drool: :drool: and I remember at the time thinking: Hey these don't taste very alcoholic and then suddenly finding that the floor was nearer then I thought. :lol: Yay, verily I say unto ye...bring on ye cocktails....:drool:

....especially if you're in the Clarence....you never know, you might think you've just seen Bono...:yes :

...when in reality you've just snogged the face off some total stranger just because he's short and wears dark glasses...:lol:

:lmao:

Clarence Cocktails. :drool:

biff said:
The development will incorporate a number of sustainability strategies, including natural light and ventilation, to ensure that it will function as an energy-efficient and environmentally sensitive mixed-use hotel, spa and conference facility.

that is REALLY sexy :drool:

youvedonewhat said:
I remember at the time thinking: Hey these don't taste very alcoholic and then suddenly finding that the floor was nearer then I thought. :lol: Yay, verily I say unto ye...bring on ye cocktails....:drool:

:laugh: I remember similar happening to me AT the Clarence! Quaffing scrummy cocktails all night, then at time to leave my legs didn't seem to work that well anymore? :ohmy: Bloody Mai Tai's! :wink:

:confused: i thought it had success....why has it lost so much money??...btw i passed by twice when in Dublin last summer and took some pics, but as I am under 18 i thought it wasn't worth it to go inside and just take a look obviously showing that i was a fan:reject:

lil_witch said:
:confused: i thought it had success....why has it lost so much money??...

No, they've been losing money for years. It's thought that's why the rest of U2, along with their original partner Harry Crosbie packed it in a few years ago. It's just too small to turn a profit.

By the way, I remember reading a couple of years ago, when this plan was first mentioned, that the idea for the big open-air courtyard at the centre is so people can smoke outside but still be inside the hotel. Bono thought that was a nice idea, naturally.

biff said:

No, they've been losing money for years. It's thought that's why the rest of U2, along with their original partner Harry Crosbie packed it in a few years ago. It's just too small to turn a profit.

By the way, I remember reading a couple of years ago, when this plan was first mentioned, that the idea for the big open-air courtyard at the centre is so people can smoke outside but still be inside the hotel. Bono thought that was a nice idea, naturally.

Yeah, I can just see that. Bono saying; I'll just nip outside for a fag..

....and then mumbling; can't even smoke in me own feckin' hotel...:lol:

Do you remember the stink that was raised in the press when he did smoke in the hotel shortly after that new law was passed? It was thought that some disgruntled employee ratted on him. No employee of the hotel is allowed to smoke anywhere within sight of the hotel while in their distinctive uniforms. That strict rule ruffled a few feathers, especially in light of the owner flouting the law himself.

lil_witch said:
:confused: i thought it had success....why has it lost so much money??...btw i passed by twice when in Dublin last summer and took some pics, but as I am under 18 i thought it wasn't worth it to go inside and just take a look obviously showing that i was a fan:reject:

lots of people over 18 go in who are fans too :)

nothing wrong with it, you can walk in the back door and mooch through and exit via the front door in a matter of minutes.

there isn't much to see though.

Some of my photos from October 2006 ...

IMG_0926.jpg

biff said:
There's been talk of this for a couple of years now; it sounds like an exciting project. Maybe this huge investment into Dublin's core will somewhat muffle the tax-related hatred (but probably not).

Well that explains why the move to the Netherlands then, can't be seeing those pennies disappear! :wink:

biff said:

:up: I agree. There are a lot of investments by U2 members in Ireland, so those who say they don't pay taxes should just shut up. And what's more, they are contributing to tourism with this project, which is a very important source of income for a nation and the city of Dublin. I have recently read that Dublin is in fact the European town with the fastest growing tourism. So I say: Good for them! I hope they'll actually make some profits with the new hotel.

hi,

i've been to dublin this weekend (more to come in the band meetings area :yes: :yes: :bono: ) and had dinner in the clarence.

and yes the waiter told us it's going to be closed for 2 years to reconstruct en refurnish completely (incl. the restaurant and octagon bar).

he thought the clarence stayed open till the end of 2007 and then will be closed for approx. 2 years.

so be quick if you want to go there (which i can absolutely reccomend)

OK, thanx, I am planning to go there this summer.
And please don't wait too long with your meeting story!!!
:ohmy: (tries hard not to be jealous)

biff said:
Do you remember the stink that was raised in the press when he did smoke in the hotel shortly after that new law was passed? It was thought that some disgruntled employee ratted on him. No employee of the hotel is allowed to smoke anywhere within sight of the hotel while in their distinctive uniforms. That strict rule ruffled a few feathers, especially in light of the owner flouting the law himself.
yes, Bono was there with the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and 'forgot' about the law...

Thanks for the infor Angelofdublin, since I might go there this summer too!

Back
Top Bottom