The Beach House - Chapter 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianepm

Professional Insomniac
If I lived any more north I'd be in Quebec. But I
Disclaimer: no, I don’t know U2 and I don’t own them (thank god) and I’m not getting any money for this.

Author’s Note: I’m sorry this took so long for me to get out. February is never a good month for me and for some reason this one was the worst. I have this tendency to get depressed during Feb. I also got the cold from hell so that didn’t help much. I promise the next chapter will be a bit longer.

THE BEACH HOUSE – Chapter 3

Bono had taken to dropping in on Abby once a day. Usually around lunch time. On this day, Bono was watching in half fascination and half disgust while Abby took two slices of bread, spread peanut butter on one side, cheese wiz on the other and put a layer of sliced dill pickles and onions in the middle. She looked up at Bono after she had taken a bite.

“What?” She asked. Bono couldn’t stop staring at the sandwich.

“How can you possibly eat that?” He asked.

“It’s good.” She said, a little offended.

“If I hadn’t already known you were pregnant, that would have told me.” He said with a chuckle. “Do you have any plans on Saturday?”

“Not that I know of.” She said. “Why?”

“I’m having the guys over with their families for a beach party and was wondering if you’d like to join us.” He said.

“Sure, I’d love to.” She said.

Saturday turned out to be an interesting day for everybody. Abby got ready for the party putting on an over-sized sweat shirt and jeans. When she got to the party Bono took one look at her and frowned.

“Why aren’t you wearing a bathing suit? This is a beach party after all.” He asked.

“I don’t have one.” She said quietly.

“Well, the least you should do is go put on something lighter. It’s hot as blazes out here and you’re going to give yourself heat stroke.” He said frowning at her.

“I’ll be ok. I’m used to it.” She said. Bono didn’t quite know what to make of that remark.

Bono introduced her to the rest of the band and to the various wives and girlfriends. After they had all eaten the boys decided to play some football on the sand. They didn’t have a soccer ball so they used a beach ball. For some reason Bono got all excited when he saw the beach ball.

Abby went to get up to get a drink from the cooler on the porch when she got dizzy and sat back down in a hurry. Bono saw her and rushed over to her.

“Are you ok?” He asked.

“I just got dizzy. I’m ok Bono.” She said.

He looked at her and saw that she was sweating like mad and was red in the face.

“Morleigh!” He yelled in the general direction of the beach. “Do me a favour?”

“Sure. What is it?” She asked as she walked over to where they were.

“Take Abby here to get some lighter clothes on.” He said.

Morleigh looked down at Abby. She saw that Abby wasn’t well.

“She shouldn’t be out in this heat in her condition.” Bono said.

Morleigh looked confused.

“What condition?” She asked Abby.

“I’m pregnant, not terminally ill Bono.” Abby said a little irritated.

“All the more reason to take care of yourself.” He said.

Abby saw that he wasn’t going to be argued with so she went with Morleigh back to her house to change.

“Why didn’t you wear shorts and a t-shirt?” Morleigh asked her.

“I was never allowed….I mean I’m not used to wearing shorts.” She said hoping the other woman didn’t hear her mistake.

She did hear it but decided not to comment on it. She didn’t know anything other than she was Mae’s niece and she was from Toronto Canada.

Abby came out in shorts and a red tank top that was a little too tight.

“I think I’m going to actually start thinking about maternity clothes. My shirts have all of a sudden gotten tight on me.” She said looking down at her chest.

“I remember when I had to buy maternity clothes” Morleigh said with a wistful sigh. “I think it finally sank into Edge’s head that we were going to have a baby then.”

“How come you call him Edge instead of Dave?” Abby asked.

“He’s been Edge as long as I’ve known him. It would feel weird calling him Dave I think.” She said.

They headed back to the beach and saw that they had given up on the football game. Abby saw Morleigh go over to Edge and wrap his arms around him and kiss him on the back of the neck before going over to sit on a chair. Abby eyed them with curiosity. All the guys she knew wouldn’t have liked that. Edge seemed to like it a lot.

Bono saw that Abby was back and went over to her and casually, without even thinking about it, put his arm around her shoulder. He felt her tense right up and twist out of his arm.

“Sorry.” Bono said.

“It’s not you Bono, I just don’t like being touched. I guess I should have told you.” Abby said.

Bono frowned at her. He had never met anyone yet who didn’t like being touched even a little bit. He wondered, not for the first time, what had happened to her for her to be like this. He knew that she had had someone in her life. After all, she was pregnant. You don’t get that way all by yourself. She never talked about the father, other than that one comment she made when they met.

“No problem Abby. I’ll just try to remember that.” He said.

That night after the party was over, and everyone had gone home, Bono sat out on his porch with a cup of tea and watched the waves in the moonlight. He looked over at Abby’s house and saw that most of the lights were on. He could see her through one of the windows and saw that she was sitting in one of the chairs in the living room reading. He noticed that she had one hand in her hair twisting it around her fingers. He noticed, for the first time, that she was rather pretty.

I must remember Beach House by Diane = Abby story. Cause I like this, I just kept losing track of it. :reject: Stress is getting to me.

Hurray! I was waiting for this!!

Can you girls explain the story of the beach ball? I keep on reading reference to Bono's passion for them but I don't know the background!! :huh:

oh :love: beachball!
Edurban, the story is on the Slane castle dvd, someone from the crowd throws a beachball on the heart tip when Bono and edge stand there, and Bono says in the mic Oh look Edge, a beachball... and Edge cracks up badly... so it's a bit of an inside joke here that Bono has a beachball obsession!

I really liked the chap :) hope you get rid of that writer's block soon!

Yay, the writer's block is breaking away! Wow, what happened in her past to make her not want to be touched...by Bono! :ohmy: Must have been bad. Hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom