Thanks for being my virtual friends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeartlandGirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I hope you PLEBA ladies and gentlemen don't mind me sharing a little personal stuff. I would put this in lemonade stand or somewhere else, but I truly feel like talking directly to you all, as fellow PLEBAns.

I am a little bit depressed because outside of my fun times at PLEBA, I don't really have any friends. This may sound ridiculous or over-dramatic, but it is true. I am 25 and just recently moved back to Oklahoma after attending grad school in Georgia. Since I've moved back, I have not made any new friends and all my old friends have either moved away or now have children and our lives just don't really compare anymore.

My hobbies and profession seem to isolate me from making friends my own age. I teach Latin at the U of Oklahoma and I am only a few years older than my students (some are older than I am). But, I can't be friends with them. And of course, all my co-workers are 15 years or more older than I am. They're not exactly the kind of people I can invite over to hang out. I went to the department Christmas party and ended up talking to someone who taught at Duke University in the 1920s!

The stuff I enjoy doing is really weird too. I like "old lady" stuff, as my husband might put it. I am teaching myself to quilt and I have cross-stitched for years and years. Not exactly what most 25 year olds without kids are into. I also do genealogy research (family trees). When I decided to go to a genealogy conference I thought I might meet some interesting people, but I was the youngest person there by at least 30 years. No lie. I also like working on my web page and doing graphic design, which is a solitary activity. And I am really into yoga, but I have been unable to find a class where I could make friends. Oklahoma's not exactly a hotbed for yoga. And as for U2, I am so grateful for a place like PLEBA and interference as a whole because even though I don't know any other U2 fanatics, I can always come here and keep up with the band's activities and talk about U2's music (and how hot Edge is.)
biggrin.gif

I don't mean to vent and throw a huge pity party, but I feel that people here have been supportive of others when they had problems or got fired or had a bad day. I just needed to get this off my chest. It's weird to realize that you don't have any friends, especially when you've always had more than enough. It is something that I had been accepting for many months now. I am just getting frustrated that I have no one to share my ideas, hobbies, or interests with.

Well, thanks for reading. Maybe you all will have some advice or similar stories or hot Edge pics to help me out. And I sincerely appreciate all my internet acquaintances, even though I've never met any of you. I know that PLEBA has had some dissenters lately, but I always have fun here.

To conclude, Viva U2! Now I'm going to go eat a pop-tart and try to look on the bright side.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Hi there...

First off... you are not alone. My boyfriend of 8 1/2 years came in yesterday and demanded to know just how many messages an hour I post on this board. He went so far to say that don't I find it odd that all my friends are on the internet (nevermind that I've met several of them and have had the best time)? I don't have any *real* friends, as he puts it.

It's really hard to explain to people that sometimes we need a place to go to vent, be silly, do what we want without others looking at us strange, and just be *us*. Do you realize how crazy people I know would think of me if they saw what I posted here and how much I drool?

I, too, am an avid cross-stitcher and an artist. I love doing things with my hands - although lately, it's been more typing than creating things on cloth or paper. I also have worked on my genealogy, but yes, I have discovered that many of the people involved in that process are retired and a bit older than me.

Keep your chin up and don't let life grind you down. Here's some Edge pics to make you smile.... I hope you like "I still haven't found what I'm looking for...." Long haired edge..... yummmmmm....
biggrin.gif

They're a bit blurry because the actual video itself is a bit shaky.... oh well. at least you can still see him.
biggrin.gif

iB90F30D0-1C22-481D-882F-2A20E4EBE910.jpg

Edge rolling his eyes at Bono...
iF60CE276-E114-4ED2-A0A8-A2049715F17F.jpg

i574B7CA3-97F9-4A33-B643-E12FB0AC0FAF.jpg

Moonie
biggrin.gif

well, i find all the people on PLEBA to be very friendly and funny and find myself wishing at times that I could actually meet all of y'all, because 98% of my real life friends are married and have kids, not that there is anything wrong with that, but they would all rather sit around and talk about the stages that all of their kids are going through and what improvements they are doing to their houses, and that is something i cannot relate to at all. I have very limited amount of sane single friends to go hang out with and have found this forum to be a nice, safe resort for me to escape the current stresses that i am going through. I think of PLEBA as my virtual "ladies nightout". So don't get too depressed out there in Oklahoma. If it helps any, I have a cousin who married a weatherman from Oklahoma.
wink.gif

So from one Georgia Gal to another, i give you a *hug* and some Edge pics.
biggrin.gif

iEFFC9796-FE88-4B09-A66C-4D5B33C0E244.jpg

i12FA0B13-0F8B-491D-B9D3-E26BCFC247DC.jpg

I can totally sympathize.
I just moved to Los Angeles a few months ago and I know almost no one around here. I am a single 23 year old and should be having the time of my life but instead find myself in lab all the time (graduate school has no mercy). I haven't had time to meet people and when I actually do get home early, there are a million other things that need to be taken care of. During the last couple of months or so I rediscovered PLEBA and found comfort and laughter here. We might all have different opinions sometimes but this is a great community and will always be a place to share our thoughts and feelings as well as laugh and drool.
Thanks for reading
smile.gif

Okay, I realize I'm very new, but whatever. HeartlandGirl, DON'T be too hard on yourself. I think there are times when we all go through that feeling of aloneness. I'm 19, and I'm away at school. Most of my friends from high school have already moved away or are engaged, so when I go back for breaks there's pretty much no one to call, and nowhere to go (except work, where the 2 main people I work with are in their 50's). Lately I've been feeling that I have no direction, personally or career-wise. But, really, we all change and grow and it takes time for us to adjust.
You said you just recently moved back, so maybe you just need to give it more time. Last year was my freshman year and I was completely ready to drop out, and my mom just kept calling and reminding me that it was all new to me, that socially first year is the hardest for a lot of people. It sounds like you are trying social things that interest you, and sooner or later you are BOUND to meet some great, like-minded people that you can hang out with. The fact that you're getting out and meeting people is the best thing you can do, don't stop!! If you end up with some friends with a range of ages, very old to young, you will be better off for it. (which is actually advice i've been given, and found to be true.) And coming to Pleba is a good thing, this place is addictive, and always fun. Everyone else thinks I'm crazy for looking them up online, buying magazines like revolver just for the U2 stories, giggling when someone says "you, too" etc.
Oh, and don't worry that you're doing "grandma" things. My Nana taught me to knit when I was like 7 or 8, and I once took a quilting class, although i've since forgotten everything. They're constructive and artistic hobbies, nothing to be ashamed about.
Hmm, no Edge pictures, sorry, but I used the smilie anyway.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Bbug (edited 01-11-2002).]

Well hello there HG,

I am not what you would call an internet or virtual junkie. All the younger girls here seem to chat, mingle, converse, and play together in various degrees through the virtual reality of the computer.

Unlike many, I'm older than most here. Unlike many, I find I don't have alot of time to myself that would allow me to get immersed in it all. SOme would say that's a good thing.

I've met a few very nice people on this forum and it's made me realize that so what if it's virtual. The feeling you have for an internet friend as opposed to a real friend are virtually the same. Both grow in degrees, in closeness - actually sometime internet friendships tend to be closer as the attention you pay to detail is greater I think. Of course getting away form the computer and seeing "real" people is also a good thing - but you can have both, I do and I guess I'm thankful for that.

Anyway, don't mean to babble, but just wanted you to know that while having a life outside the internet and this forum is important - it's a great escape and a great meeting place.

...and while I don't quilt....when my mother passed away I took up knitting as I found it soothing and calming....while I'm "older" I wouldn't call it an "old lady" thing.

Cheers and to virtual friendships - they're awesome!

Ice

I am so glad this is the first thing I read this am-one of the best posts I've ever read here.

First of all-I am completely envious of your craft skills-I am completely inept at that stuff. Same goes for your web page/graphic design. And as for yoga-I applaud you for being devoted to it. I did it for a while, and really enjoyed it-but, of course, didn't stick with it.

You obviously have a lot to offer-and your personality and sweetness shines through.
smile.gif
I know how you feel-have felt the same way myself, as I'm sure many others have. All you can do in my opinion is be YOURSELF-and not change to try to fit other peoples' expectations. People will eventually appreciate this-just hang in there!

And the heck w/ the 'naysaying' or whatever-this part of PLEBA, in addition to other things, makes it great-that we can feel comfortable enough to share like this. Thanks so much for sharing this Heartland Girl-and it certainly doesn't come across as a 'pity party' or anything like that-it's honest and from the heart.
smile.gif
Viva U2!!

Here's some Edge for you

28608922ebEGJRUpMy_ph.jpg

Don't feel bad, I'm REALLY weird! I don't fit in anywhere. I like 'old lady stuff' and some of the people I have 'hung out' with the last few years have been old ladies! They seem to be generally nicer and more undertanding than younger people. Still, I love rock and roll and act young for my age, so what's up with me? I am a failure as a woman- I do not fit in with the career types or the domestic types. Even as a kid, I was no tomboy, I liked dolls, fairy tales, and fancy dresses, but I was also out there playing war, super-heroes, cops and robbers and and construction worker. I am more into football than the Martha Stewart type stuff, but I am old fashioned in lots of ways. This might make me seem like an all around person but really I have always been the person that didn't fit in anywhere. It doesn't bother me anymore, you are what you are, don't ever force yourself to change to try to please someone else or you will be the one who is miserable. Be yourself, you're special! We're always here for you.(((HUGS)))
smile.gif

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

Awwwww....
I'm so glad I checked this thread.
PLEBA really is a great place to come when you're feeling stressed. I've always found a laugh here and especially last term, it was a great help to me.
I had a HORRIBLE school term and out of frustration one night just posted that I'm dropping out, that's it I can't do it anymore. In fifteen minutes I had all sort of very supportive replies from everyone and soon I was typing away laughing. This sort of thing has happened again and again where regardless of what anyone says about cliques or hair or the price of wheat in china, I've been reassured and cheered up when I needed it.
Big Hug...
-Bluey

Even though I'm not a member of any so called 'clique' here sometimes your virtual friends can be better than the real thing!
wink.gif
Can Heartlandgirl come out and play?
wink.gif

------------------
U2- The Unforgettable Fire still burns!

To echo what many other have already said, I'm so glad I read this! I've felt very lonely during certain times of my life, but eventually I've made friends and things get better. I'm sure that will happen to you, HG.

I agree that PLEBA (and inteference in general) is a great place. No matter how annoyed or upset you are with your friends or your real life, you can always come to PLEBA and get a smile out of this virtual world. It's like Cheers: "sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name / and they're always glad you came..."
smile.gif
It's true that there are sometimes problems or arguments in here, but I think that generally PLEBA is a friendly and welcoming forum.

And since I'm not too good with words, I'll post some Edge pics!

3333%3A3%3A323232%7Ffp38%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A5%3B%3D457%3DXROQDF%3E2323266486265ot1lsi

3333%3A3%3A323232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A5%3B%3D457%3DXROQDF%3E2323266685689ot1lsi

I have to post this Edge pic just because it's so freakin' weird!
3333%3A3%3A323232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A5%3B%3D457%3DXROQDF%3E232326%3B%3A955%3A8ot1lsi

3333%3A3%3A323232%7Ffp38%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A5%3B%3D457%3DXROQDF%3E2323266486268ot1lsi

Hey everyone.

Thanks for all the kind words and hot pics and hugs. What's up with that orange leather chair? Anyway, I was honestly afraid this thread would get shut down due to irrelevancy, if that's a word. Now if I could just meet some cool people like you here in my town, I'd be doing great. Your words and pics have cheered me up and let me know that (if I can get U2ey here) it's just a moment, this time will pass.
smile.gif

I'm glad that other people feel about PLEBA and interference the way that I do. We are all friends, with no strings attached. We don't have to work together, do chemistry labs together, or fight over guys. Well, maybe a certain four guys...
wink.gif

MissVelvetDress, I think you made a really good point that puts things in perspective. Our 20s is a really weird age where people start to get stuck in certain groups: single, married, has children, doesn't have children, goes to grad school, stays at home...I think these major differences are what has made it hard for me to find kindred spirits lately.

What else do I have to say...if I may, let me reciprocate some words of encouragement to numbededge, Bbug, and bluey---school can be hard in a way that others cannot understand. Half my graduating class didn't go to college, so when I'd talk about school to old friends, they just didn't get it. And my parents never went to grad school and couldn't understand why I complained so much. But from someone who's been there, you guys keep your chins up and keep trudging along, especially numbededge in grad school! If you ever need to vent, e-mail me!

And thanks to everyone for not thinking my hobbies are weird. That means more than you know!

(((hugs))) to everyone! Viva U2 and Viva PLEBA! I'm really looking forward to the scavenger hunt...
biggrin.gif

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

PLEBA is my escape. thank you girls for allowing me to escape with you on a nightly basis.
smile.gif

(Heartland Girl, your web design is really nice.
smile.gif
)

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Everyday can be a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

you guys really are great and i love you all, too!

(((((((PLEBA))))))))

!

i was about to type that i had the urge to sing the cheers theme song! who was it that had rewritten the song to be about PLEBA earlier? i loved that!! it was so perfect!

------------------
~Julie*
ScottPhisto's Shampoo Girl

"Let me introduce you to the scientist in the family. The man who gets sexual pleasure out of the collection of data. The Edge!" ~Bono (Boston)

"EEEEEDGE, BEDAZZLE MEEEEEE!"

Originally posted by madonna's child:
PLEBA is my escape. thank you girls for allowing me to escape with you on a nightly basis.
smile.gif

(Heartland Girl, your web design is really nice.
smile.gif
)

Wow, thanks for the compliment. I know my website has a long way to go (it's my most recent project), but I'm working on it.

I like your website too. Where can I get a PLEBA icon like you have?

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Back
Top Bottom