Take Me Away (Tear Me Down)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonavoix

War Child
Larry's lap. Enjoying what may come... *grin*
OK. After quite some time (weeks) of debate, I've decided to post this here. Maybe someone will actually read it... ;) It's not finished yet, but this is what I've got so far.

Flaming June has been reading this privately. Note, FJ, that I changed the title... it didn't go in the direction I had originally planned... Anyway, enough out of me. Here it is.

*nervous*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take Me Away (Tear Me Down)

I?ve just spent the last few hours trying to convince myself that I?m not a masochist. I keep losing. I did choose to be here after all. I hate it when I put myself in situations like this, because either way I lose. Isn?t that what always happens when your heart (wretched enemy) sets itself on something it absolutely cannot have? Just call me desperado. Like the Eagles tune.

There are days I regret even agreeing to this tour in the first place. I should have thought about this before I told them I?d open for them. I should have sat down and considered that perhaps certain things would magnify themselves once my relationship with U2 went from fan-idol to peer. Don?t get me wrong, I love touring with them. They?re some of the greatest bunch of guys in this business, and they?re actually partially responsible for my career choice as it is. What I hate about this has to do with me. What I hate about this is that every time he walks past me something inside me shatters. What I hate about this is whenever words roll off his tongue like silk, regardless of whether or not they were directed at me, something inside of me cracks and I lose all ability to think or function properly. To his credit, this hasn?t been such a terrible thing. This entire situation, that effect he seems to have on me has spurned almost half of 24 songs I?ve written since I?ve been touring. Sixteen will end up on my next album. My last single topped the charts and I?ve vowed that Larry Mullen will NEVER find out that he inspired that one. I?d rather sell out. Yep, it?ll go with me to the grave. I suppose Larry knowing about that wouldn?t be such an awful thing. I just really don?t want to have to explain it to him. How do you explain lyrics like ?I wonder how it?d taste to lick the champagne off your lips/more sweetness in your salty skin than in the wine I sip? without coming off as threatening? Or crazy? Or both? Yes, Larry, those lyrics were inspired by you. But it?s not what it sounds like, I swear!! What I really meant was? em? err? That really wouldn?t work. So as long as it?s up to me, he?ll never know about that. But then, he?s used to women lusting after him. I would just rather stay out of the pile. I really don?t want to add to it. Isn?t that exactly what I?m doing? He doesn?t have to know that.

But then with my history, he probably knew before I did. I?m not exactly known for being subtle about these things. It?s typically glaringly obvious to the rest of the world with the exception of me. The very first day, he came up to me somewhere in the bowels of the stadium where they?d decided to open the tour. Within five minutes I realized that Larry Mullen was in reality a hundred times sexier than any picture I?d ever seen of him. EVER. I?ve spent the past two months since hiding from him. He walks into a room, I look away. I bury myself in a book, in my guitar or in music or something? anything to get my mind off of him and how much I?d love to---

Anyway, I?m almost certain he?s figured me out. I think he gets off on teasing me, because he?ll always make a point to sit next to me, and I?ve actually figured out that he uses Biolage shampoo and conditioner, and of course the soap is Irish Spring. Yeah, I know, that?s pathetic that I?ve actually figured that out, but when the man sits down not six inches away from me when he?s fresh out of a shower it?s kind of hard to ignore when it?s the same scent all the time. And this brings me back to me and my masochism debate. I mean, in all seriousness I could just get up and walk away when he comes around me, but I don?t. I choose to stay there and torture myself. And why? Because he?s a wonderful man and I love being around him. And he?s so down to earth it?s dangerous. I feel like within this whirlwind world we all seem to be in at the moment (touring does that to you), he?s the only thing that keeps me from losing touch with reality completely.

The thing about Larry is that he can sense bullshit before it even exists, and he hates it with a vengeance. So the less honest you are with him, the less he likes you. I?m an honest person, and I can?t lie to save my own life. My conscience gets the best of me, I suppose. Lying comes naturally for some people. Not for me. The best I can do is dance around the truth, and in some ways, I really regret that because should Larry ever approach me about this entire situation, I have no way to escape the impending doom of problems that would follow. It hasn?t happened yet, thank God, but still I feel like a fan-girl. Or worse, I feel like I?m in high school. The only difference is that I actually give a damn about his well-being and what happens to him as a result of me. Love is an action. It?s something you do for someone to make sure they have what?s best for them and what?s going to make them at the very least comfortable with their surroundings. And I honestly feel that the last thing Larry Mullen Jr. needs at the moment is an unstable, insecure, impractical woman chasing after his attention. His attention is already split a thousand different ways as it is. Which is partly why I?ve chosen to express this entire thing in songwriting. And I promise you, he will NEVER know that he is my muse.

Back to this honesty thing though, I think I proved my own point last night. I can?t lie, especially to him. Yesterday he had a fan basically launch herself at him, and thank God for security, because she actually tore his t-shirt. Needless to say, that pretty much ruined the remainder of his day. I hated seeing that concerned, hurt scowl on his face after that, so I brought him a beer later. I asked him if he was okay.
Larry sighed and nodded, ?Yeah, I suppose.?
The textbook answer here would have been something to the effect of ?I know how you feel? or ?It?s okay.? But the truth is, I have no idea how he feels. I?m still newer in the music business, and my fan following isn?t quite so large. I?ve never had a fan launch themselves at me, then watched as they were carried away by security with a piece of my torn clothing in their hands. So smiling gently and saying, ?I can sympathize? was out of the question. Instead, I sighed and sat down next to him. ?You know, Larry?? I paused and handed him the Guinness I had brought for him, ?People tend to put you on this pedestal. They objectify you, idolize you, and forget that you?re human. They tend to forget that you have your share of faults and that you can be bruised just as easily as they can. I know, because I did it too. It?s rare, especially in this industry that you find someone who gives a damn about something besides themselves and the money they?re making. It?s rare that you find someone who sees your humanity, you know??
Larry nodded, ?Yeah, I know.?
?I?ll be honest, Lar. I?ve never had that happen to me, what happened to you today. I?ve never had someone launch themselves at me like that. Fame is a very weird, scary thing, and I think if I were in your position, it?d scare the shit out of me.?
?You?re right about that.?
?How do you feel?? I asked.
?Shaken, very shaken.?
I nodded, ?Anything I can do to raise your spirits??
He smiled, ?The beer helped. Thanks?? he paused, ?So does your honesty.?
?I?m not going to give you some pat-on-the-back answer. I hate it when people do that to me because it?s bullshit and it doesn?t help? If I?m concerned about you I?m going to help.?
?I appreciate that, Tess, I really do,? he sighed and looked down into the Guinness bottle. I could tell there wasn?t much else I could do here? so I got down on the floor in front of him and looked up into his face.
?Larry,? I started, ?I know I?m probably not at the top of your list of people to run to when you need it, and I know that it?s hard for me to offer you any kind of comfort just because I don?t know you as well as some other people do??
He looked at me, his eyes dove into mine.
?And I know I?m younger and there?s things you?ve been through and done that I haven?t? but I?ve been through enough to know that life?s a piece of shit sometimes.?
He stared at me.
?I won?t give you bullshit. I promise. I?m an open ear if you need one.?
His eyes brightened and my heart cracked. His lips curled into a smile and I shattered, as usual. Then he spoke, ?Thank you, Tess.?

I love how sometimes, just sometimes he?ll emphasize diphthongs when he speaks. The word ?I? for instance, with Larry it has two syllables blurred into one. I love how every time he speaks different things are brought out. Sometimes vowels are brought out, sometimes it?s the consonants. I just love his accent, period. I think it?s the hard ?r??s that kill me though? Being a trained opera singer it?s hard for me to keep from analyzing his accent like that. I can?t help it. I?ve spent years in studios with teachers who did nothing but rip apart anything I said into tiny little pieces just the way I keep doing with Larry. I got out of opera simply because my voice just isn?t huge enough to do that. Besides, I was always more into singing Boston and The Eagles than I was into singing Puccini. Therefore it should have surprised no one when I picked up a guitar and started doing small sets at open mic nights on campus. I dreamed, but never expected to get this far. Four years ago, I was a confused college kid writing songs and dreaming of a day when I?d be able to walk up to the people who inspired me, not as a fan, but as a colleague. Now, I, Tessa Ann Lytle am opening for U2, one of the greatest rock bands in history. All in four short years. That scares me, because think about it? it took U2 from 1976 to 1987 to rise to the top. Eleven years. And me? I wouldn?t say I?m quite at the top, but I?m a hell of a lot farther than they were at this point. I?ve just always been of the mind that as far as bands go, the quicker you rise, the quicker you fall. When I went into this I intended to be a legend. I wanted to be up there with U2 and Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac? bands who will always be hailed as great regardless of whether they?re still around. I feel now as if the public could forget about me completely if I decided not to do another album. Then again, bands that open for U2 are typically already well established, or they go on to be. Look at Pearl Jam, Garbage? So come to think of it, I would have been bloody CRAZY to turn U2 down this time. My manager would have had me committed. And so I accepted the offer. I told U2 I?d be their opening act, and thusly proceeded to spend several months on the road with them.

And here I sit, with Larry across the hallway from me with a very lucky newspaper lying across his lap. What I?d give to trade seats with that particular copy of the New York Times right about now? I huff briefly at the absurdity of my own thoughts and turn my attention back to what?s in MY lap. My guitar. I finish replacing the strings and I pick it up, slinging the strap over my shoulder and I start to strum, nothing in particular, just some basic arpeggios. I decide to let that evolve into a chord progression, D minor to C major, D minor? I?m really just messing around, with no real direction. Then suddenly a light tapping catches my attention and I realize that Larry?s been improvising a soft rhythm to what I?ve been playing. I realize we?ve created a steady 6/8 meter and just for the hell of it, I start to hum a melody over the chord progression I?ve just invented. I catch Larry?s eye and he throws a smile my way. I use what little strength I have left to respond and then to put a nail in the coffin, Larry speaks.
?You should write lyrics for that,? he says to me, not breaking the rhythm he?s been keeping.
?I?ve got some in mind already,? I hear myself say without thinking. And I have. I cringe after I say this because now he?s going to want to hear them. Not a big deal, but there?s a slight issue here: the lyrics I?m thinking of are about him. And as fate would have it, I cringe at his next sentence.
?So let?s hear it.?
I keep strumming lightly, recovering a few bars while I attempt to keep my lungs from collapsing. Here we go. I inhale completely and start to sing at low volume, ?You, you tear me down/you make me weak/I break at the sound/of your voice? All, all that I build/has flown away/as you have willed/when you pass by? when you pass by? when you pass me by??
I startle a little when a familiar voice echoes what I just sang with a simple ?Oooohh, when you pass by??
I look over and realize that Bono has taken a seat next to me. I bridge for another measure and launch into a chorus, ?And you bring me to my knees with your strength now I pray, won?t you take me, please take me away??
As I play with that last note, Bono improvises another small phrase above me, ?You tear me down??
Two more measures and I keep going with another verse? ?You, you leave me bare/you make me need/to share the air/that you breathe?? and another verse, ?You, from you I hide/from you I run/and keep to myself what?s inside? but you see, yes you see right through to me? don?t you??
I look over at Larry, and he?s watching me intently now, still tapping his original rhythm on his legs. What makes me swallow hard though is the look on his face. His eyes have narrowed and he?s almost glaring at me, and the smile on his face has turned not to a frown, but his mouth is straight and serious. He has the same look on his face as he has in virtually every single group picture I?ve ever seen of U2. Ever seen the Joshua Tree poster? The one with the black background and the gold trim, with that Anton Corbijn picture in black and white in the center? That?s the expression. And if looks could kill, I think I would have been dead five minutes ago.
I don?t know why I feel this way suddenly, but as a final ?fuck-you? gesture, I launch into the last chorus, ?And you break me with one glance from your eyes, now I pray, won?t you take me, please take me away??
And I barely notice Bono?s harmony as my strumming fades into gentle arpeggios again. I keep playing, throwing one last glance at Larry, ?Thanks, Larry.?
The expression on his face hasn?t changed, and he nods at me. Before I know what happened, he?s risen from his seat and he?s walking with a purpose back toward his dressing room. That copy of the New York Times slid off his lap and onto the floor when he got up. I stare at it for a moment, and Bono leans over and whispers in my ear, ?Just keep writing that song.? I look over and he winks at me. Adam is grinning behind Bono. I notice Edge across the hallway with a bemused smile on his face. I hadn?t even noticed that anyone else was there other than Bono. Then I suddenly realize why everyone is so amused: Larry?s my muse, and it?s just been made public thanks to me, my guitar and my goddamned voice.
Adam looks at me, still grinning (Adam?s grin absolutely liquefies me) and he tells me, ?Make sure that song gets onto your next album.?
I lean down and pick up the copy of New York Times that?s on the floor. I glance at it and mutter under my breath, ?You stole my seat.?

Didn?t I say I was going to take that to the grave with me? The whole muse thing? I guess I was wrong. Larry?s uniform for this tour is his typical black pants and a thin white button-down short-sleeved shirt. It has decoration down the front of it, and he usually leaves the shirt open. It?s been years and he still hasn?t lost that long silver chain with the cross pendant. It?s hanging around his neck as he brushes past me, and along with the breeze of Biolage and Irish Spring, he throws me another difficult-to-read look. I feel like melting, partially from that Larry scent that?s conditioned me to, and partially from the look he?s shot at me. He?s determined to make me lose sleep over him, isn?t he? Like I haven?t already. I?ve just finished my set, which means U2 is about to take the stage. For the hell of it, I decided to play that new song on stage tonight. I?ve titled it, ?Take Me Away (You Tear Me Down)? It seemed to go over quite well, and I made a point to mention that U2 helped me write it? in more than one way. At the moment, however, I?m having trouble figuring out if Larry?s upset or just uncomfortable.

I decide to join everyone at the party later, even though I?m thoroughly depressed. All I want to do is go back to my room, get drunk and fall asleep. And maybe when I wake up, my world will be much better than it seems to be tonight. Someone has put on some random mix CD and I look up toward the door just as Larry walks into the room. He?s changed his shirt to a plain white, and as usual it?s hanging half-open. He?s grinning ear-to-ear, and abstractly I wonder if he knows exactly what he does to me when he smiles like that. He looks over in my direction and then I realize I?m still watching him. I shift my gaze down to the margarita in my hands and as I take a long sip of it, I see someone sit down on the couch opposite me out of the corner of my eye. When I set my drink down again, I see that it?s Adam. He grins at me. ?Brave of you to play that on stage tonight.?
?Thanks,? I say. ?They didn?t throw things at me, so I?m assuming that means it?s good.? A few minutes into my conversation with Adam, I?m a little surprised when Larry plops down on the couch next to me. He?s just had a shower, and as he sits down I receive a nice wave of that familiar-scented breeze. His skin has that fresh glow to it too, and I try not to agonize over the way it reflects in his eyes, so I take another long sip off my margarita. He?s not sitting as closely to me as he usually does, and so far he hasn?t even acknowledged my presence. Which is fine, because after the fiasco I started tonight, I?m not sure I want him to. I?m not sure if he?d congratulate me or slap me.

Why is it that scent plays such a huge role in sexual attraction? Even though Larry?s about an entire foot away from me right now, I still feel like every breath I take is saturated with Biolage and Irish Spring. It?s been about twenty minutes since he sat down, and I?ve been sporadically contributing to the conversation he?s carrying on with Adam at the moment. I?ve been trying to seem like myself as much as possible, but I?ve had to fight to do it so far because of the mood I?m in. Even so, I seem to be doing fine. Larry leans forward to reach for something on the coffee table in front of us, and unfortunately for me, it?s on the opposite side of me. The teasing, ladies and gentlemen, has begun. It would have been millions easier if he?d just asked me to hand it to him, but of course, being the miserable tease that he is he just absolutely HAD to move that much closer to me and as he leans forward, his shirt brushes against my bare arm. Suddenly half of me rejoices at the fact that I wore a tank top, and the other half regrets it.

As time goes on, the music gets progressively louder and louder, and finally Larry?s having to resort to talking directly into my ear. Do I need to even describe what that feels like or shall I leave it to the imagination? Adam?s been up and about dancing with everyone else and for some time now it?s been only Larry and I. People walk past us, and we must look a bit like a couple sitting here on this couch together, because he?s awfully close to me? that and talking into each other?s ears and all. And of all the time we?ve been talking, I?m surprised that Larry hasn?t brought up my song or anything else concerning tonight?s earlier awkwardness. In fact, he doesn?t even really seem uncomfortable anymore. I?m finding it a bit odd that he seems as comfortable around me as he does, and right now he?s so close to me that his chest touches my shoulder when he inhales. Suddenly I notice that I?m having trouble breathing and I wonder where the nearest window is and if it?s open. A few hours ago all I wanted was a comfortable bed and a long night?s sleep, but now? I still want that comfortable bed, but screw the long night?s sleep? just give me one long night with Larry. A split second when I realize that my drink has progressed from a margarita to vodka and coke to straight vodka to whatever I?m drinking now and I wonder how drunk I really am. I recognize the first few bars of ?Ruby Tuesday? even though I?m feeling lightheaded, though I?m not sure whether to attribute that to the alcohol or lust. Just then I feel Larry?s voice in my ear and I can?t stand this anymore. I stand up and try walking over to the window, but somehow I can?t seem to keep my eyes on it. And yes, Mick, life is unkind. Because my salvation of fresh air is stolen away when I pass out not three steps away from the couch that I just left a bewildered-looking Larry sitting on.

I wake up slowly. My head is swimming, and I?m not sure how long I?ve been out. As my eyes focus a little I realize that I?m not even sure where I am. Wherever I?m at, it?s dimly lit, and before I have a chance to guess where I am, I feel someone sit down on the edge of the bed next to me. Out of the corner of my eye I see a white shirt and the pale cream color of flesh, and the black of what must be pants. I look up and staring down at me is Larry Mullen. His shirt is entirely unbuttoned, and I opt to look instead up into his face, which is looking moderately stern. I think, however, that this time he?s more concerned than anything. There?s a softness in his eyes which the cynical side of me automatically attributes to whatever alcohol must be in his system. His arm is stretched over me and his hand rests on the bed behind me.
?Hi,? I manage to squeak out.
?How are you feeling?? he almost whispers.
?What time is it?? I have to know, and I lift my head in search of a clock.
Larry brushes his hand up and shushes me, ?Shh, shh, shh? Lie down,? and I obey. ?It?s four o?clock in the morning.?
?How---?
Larry cuts me off, ?You passed out. You?ve been out for almost three hours,? he?s still speaking very softly and I wonder why.
The room has come a bit more into focus now, or at least enough so that I can tell I?m not in my own hotel room. There?s a suitcase on a chair against the wall across the room from me, and judging by what I can see, I?m guessing that I?m in Larry?s room. Everything that led up to this comes rushing back to me and I close my eyes. ?I?m sorry, Larry.?
?Why?? I hear him respond and he continues, ?You got up and just fell back. I barely caught you before you hurt yourself, and I carried you up here---?
?No, Larry,? I stop, realizing my own rudeness, ?Thank you. But that?s not what I was apologizing for.?
I open my eyes, and he?s staring down at me. Neither one of us moves for a moment longer, then slowly he nodds.
?I?m sorry,? I repeat again, and this time I make sure to make eye contact.
Larry sighs, ?What exactly for??
I open my mouth to respond, but he cuts me off again.
?No, seriously. What exactly have you done to merit an apology? Did you honestly think I didn?t know?? he?s no longer whispering. He?s right. ?I?m flattered,? he continues. ?I?m glad to know that I inspired a song like that. Tessa, what do you think songwriting is all about? Turning the mess of emotion inside you into something beautiful.?
?Thank you,? I make an attempt at a smile.
?I just wish you?d quit torturing yourself over me,? Larry says rather forwardly.
?I just don?t want to get in the way, Larry,? I close my eyes again. ?I don?t want to cause you any problems.?
?Why would you??
?Because it?s the fabric of my entire history,? I hear myself say that before I?ve had a chance to consider it. But it?s true. Every single time I?ve gone through this with a man, I end up doing nothing but causing problems. My own desperado has woven my entire history. I open my eyes and his eyes have narrowed. He?s tilted his head slightly to one side, and I can tell he?s trying to process that last comment. My head is still swimming, but I have to probe again, ?Why did you do this, Larry??
?Do what?? he asks, not moving.
?Why did you stay here with me tonight??
?I wanted to be sure you were okay,? he says.
?Why?? I ask, wondering to myself why I insist on probing him like this.
He pauses, and there?s a quiet moment where he leans down closer to me. Once again, his shirt brushes against my belly, and the carnal side of me notices his flexed biceps while he supports himself on one arm. I?m not sure what his original intention in leaning closer to me was, but he?s stopped suddenly and says quietly, ?Because history doesn?t always repeat itself.?

He stands and walks away from the bed, and in my half-intoxicated state I?m much less inhibited about watching and loving the way he walks. I sit up with the intention of leaving and going back to my own room, but my source of light has been cut off. It?s pitch dark in this room now, and as my eyes adjust to the moonlight peeking through the curtains, I see Larry walk over to the suitcase against the wall, ?No, stay in here tonight,? the words roll off his tongue like silk. With his back to me, he slides his shirt off his shoulders and I watch the muscles in his back as he folds it and places it on top of the suitcase. I can see a hint of the tattoo on his shoulder, and I lie down again and close my eyes as I hear the sound of what must be Larry removing his pants. There?s another moment of random rustling around the room, and I turn over in my mind that Larry Mullen stood up off that couch and leaned forward in time to catch me as I fell. He picked me up and carried me, unconscious in his arms, up to his own hotel room and sat with me for three hours, when he could have been downstairs having a better time. And did I just watch him undress? My heart jumps when I feel the weight of another body adding itself to this bed, and I realize that this room only has one bed in it. Again, I hear his voice, ?Good night.?
I respond half-heartedly, ?Good night,? as I turn everything over in my head once more. I sigh heavily.
?Say it, Tessa,? his voice is soft but still surprising to me. My stomach turns and I pause. ?Say it.?
I turn my head toward him, and his eyes are right there, waiting expectantly. I inhale and obediently, I say it, ?I love you.?

Something in his eyes changes, and there?s another silent moment when the only sound I hear is the sound of my heart trying to dig its way out of my chest. It?s almost as if he wasn?t expecting me to actually say it. I?m not quite sure what to expect from him, and I wonder how on earth I have the courage to maintain eye contact. I finally decide that the ceiling is a safer place for my eyes.
When I hear his voice again, it?s even softer than it was before, ?I really don?t want to see you hurt.?
?Why do you think I was avoiding you?? I retort quietly.
I hear him huff lightly at that, and I look back over at him. He?s lying on his side now, propped up on one elbow. Even through the dark I can make out a smirk on his face, ?Funny, I thought it had something to do with my charm.?
I shake my head and laugh, reaching out and with a hand to his chest, I push him off his elbow. He?s lying on his back laughing, and before I can protest, my eyes have already marveled at the shape of his body beneath the blankets. Even for a guy, the curves in his chest and belly seem graceful. He reaches over and takes my hand suddenly, and he?s stopped laughing. He places my hand on his bare chest, holding my hand with his against his smooth skin. I look up at his face and his eyes are serious again, ?I told you to stop torturing yourself.?
?Force of habit,? I tell him.
?Then you need new habits,? he deadpans. I?m not quite sure what he means, but that seems like the type of comment that gets made in cheesy romance novels just before Romeo decides to embark upon an erotic adventure with the Juliet of his choice. And part of me waits for Larry to do something or make some kind of move that way, but he doesn?t. And the whole of me is relieved. This is not a Sandra Brown novel. This is reality, and my hand is still resting on Larry?s chest. His skin is warm and smooth, and he?s still staring at me. I let my hand slide down his belly and across, stopping at the edge of the blanket. A moment where I pause, and he lifts the blanket up and rolls onto his side. I?m a little surprised when he moves closer to me and wraps an arm around my waist. He pulls me into him and I wonder if he knows how fast my heart is pounding. Can he feel it? Because now I can feel his breath on my face, I can smell the vodka he?s been drinking. I take slight comfort when I feel something silky brush against my legs. Boxers. Thank God he doesn?t sleep naked. The next moment I?m realizing that tonight I was wearing jeans and by that logic, I shouldn?t have been able to feel that. When did he take my pants off? The bed feels warmer, I feel a little safer and every time Larry exhales I can smell vodka. The closer he gets to me, the more it hurts. My heart won?t slow down and I feel like crying; I can even feel the start of a lump in my throat, which grows when I hear his voice again, ?Tessa.?
I open my eyes and once again, his are right there.
He speaks again, gently, ?Stop it? please don?t do this to yourself.?
Well then what am I supposed to do? I wonder. I close my eyes, afraid that I?ll start crying.
I feel his forehead and the tip of his nose against mine, ?I don?t want to be the reason you fall apart.?
That accent again. Ah-pahrt. I take a deep breath, intending to reply, but he interrupts me by brushing his mouth across mine. I can?t believe he?s doing this. Before I can say anything else, he?s kissing me. I respond and suddenly I don?t even care what city or what part of the world I?m in anymore. Everything else in the world that matters has suddenly disappeared into insignificance, because the man I?ve been losing sleep over for years has me in his arms. He?s pushed me onto my back and then he stops, but his mouth still lingers a moment. He?s looking down at me. I reach up and brush my finger along his jawline.
?Larry?? I prod one more time.
?Yes?? he?s closed his eyes at my touch.
?I?m not a charity case,? I take my hand away from his face.
He opens his eyes, and the look in them is worth a thousand words. He?s confused. I can almost feel the sword I?ve taken to his side. ?No,? he says sternly. I can tell he wanted to say something else, but instead he leans down and kisses me once more. He moves back over beside me again, and I think that perhaps now is a good time to get up and leave. His hand on my waist stops me. I turn around. ?Stay here tonight,? he says again.
I hesitate, then lay back down again. Against every will in my body, I turn and face away from him. I sigh, however, when I feel his arm snake its way around my waist, and his chest against my back.
?At any rate, your hotel is across town,? he says, barely above a whisper.
?Thank you, Larry.?
I feel him sigh in response. I start to pull away from him, but he pulls me back down and leans over me. ?Look me in the face and tell me you don?t feel better when you?re close to me this way,? he almost spits at me. The look in his eyes stills me. If looks could kill. I say nothing. ?Why do you insist on torturing yourself?? he says more gently.
I relax back into him and he lay down again. ?I?m sorry,? I tell him, and I turn over to face him.
?If I didn?t want to be close to you, I wouldn?t do this,? his eyes dive into mine. ?You?d sleep more soundly here.?
He?s right. I settle more, and I wrap my arm around his shoulder. He kisses me one more time. The bed feels warmer, I feel a little safer and for the first time in years, I fall asleep quickly.

Last edited:
As I have said to Bona in private, I'm loving this!!! Can't wait to read the rest :yes:

this story is amazing..... I :heart: it!

please don't say that's the end cause it's too good to be over.

Omggggggggggggggggg this is beautiful!!!! I love it - I actually had tears to my eyes - lol (thats prob cuz I just listened to a sad song while I was reading it!) but hey, I cant wait for the next part - please say theres a next part! lol
I :heart: this! :D

Bonavoix said:
Sorry to fake you all out again, but I've been busy lately...

Keep your eyes peeled for an update tomorrow. :D I promise!!

Don't give up on me yet!! :D

~Bona

Well? *f.j. taps fingers impatiently* I'm dying! :scream:

Larry gets a little closer...

Alright, alright alright!! Here it is!!

Sorry, gals, I know I promised Friday, but I had MAJOR writer's block this weekend... :crack: And no, this is not the end quite yet.

So FJ, I hope this satiates you! ;)

~Bona

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A familiar, dull pain jars me awake like a warning signal. The first thing I feel is my head, and I can sense the insanely bright light before I open my eyes. My attention is quickly shifted to my stomach only after the mid-morning sun has assaulted my eyes. The warning comes again. Get up NOW. I have no choice but to obey it, and I barely make it into the bathroom and over the toilet before my stomach decides to rid itself of last night?s attempt to drown out my own heart. Every time I cough to vomit, my head hurts more. My mouth is dry as hell, and suddenly I wonder why it seems so hot in here? and why do I smell Irish Spring? A moment later I recover, realizing that the steam from a fresh shower accounts for the heat in the bathroom. I slowly stand, and as I level with the mirror, I notice Larry leaning against the doorframe. There?s a towel wrapped around his waist. Water is still trailing down his shoulder and chest, and his hair is soaked. He?s holding the towel around his waist firmly in place. I?m relieved to see that he?s still got some degree of modesty. He?s watching me attentively, calmly. My stomach, however, requires more attention and I turn back to the toilet again. I recover a moment later, and I catch Larry?s hand appear over my shoulder, offering a glass of water. I take the cure, increasingly grateful when he hands me Advil. I stand and exhale, still shaking.
?Are you okay?? he asks.
I blink a few times, ?Now you know my shameful secret,? I glance over at him.
?What?s that??
?I can?t hold my liquor.?
He nods and laughs internally, ?You certainly aren?t Irish.?
For the first time since last night I look at my reflection in the mirror. I look like death warmed over. Mascara and eye makeup still evident around my eyes, smeared by sleep, red eyes as a result of it. I run a hand through my mussed, short blonde hair and finish off the water in the glass Larry handed me. He?s standing behind me now, water droplets still visible on his skin, causing it to shine. Again, I try to ignore the way it reflects in his eyes. He?s officially seen me at my worst. The thought crosses my mind that he must be disgusted, repulsed, thinking to himself that I shouldn?t have been so foolish. He surprises me when he steps up behind me and lays a hand on my waist. His towel brushes against my legs and I realize that I?m standing in my tank top and panties. I look down into the sink, a little flustered.
?Turn around,? he says softly. His accent is even more agonizing in a whisper?
My head hurts so much I'm almost in tears, but I turn slowly anyway. Larry steps almost right up to me, reaching behind me. When his hand comes up in front of my face again, I barely have enough time to register that he's holding a washcloth before he starts wiping old makeup off my face. He's gentle about it, and as he leans in I feel a little more than just the towel against me.
"What do you remember about last night?" he asks.
"Everything," I tell him, my eyes closed. God, he smells good... I remember waking up in this room, telling him that I love him, falling asleep...
"Then you remember what I told you," he says seriously.
I nod, "Don't torture myself."
He stops and looks at me sternly, "Then don't." God, he's so fucking forward. He goes back to wiping my face. Just to make his point, I suppose, he steps that much closer to me, and what I thought I felt against my waist becomes a little more obvious. I give in a little and wrap my arms loosely around his waist as he's wiping off my face.
"And I told you not to make me into a---"
"You're not a charity case," he drops the washcloth into the sink and his voice has raised to full speaking level. He's looking at me with a sense of disbelief and frustration. I realize he was speaking softly out of respect for my headache. "You know me well enough to know that I don't do that, especially with this," he rests two fingers in the middle of my chest, where my heart is. "It's too delicate," his voice has lowered again. He pulls away from me and leaves the room, closing the door behind him.

I take that opportunity to shower and bring myself into some resemblance of health. When I step in, there are still traces of steam from Larry's shower in the tub. I stand for a few minutes, letting the water run over me and calm me down... hot water on my face is surprisingly soothing now, even though my head is still throbbing. The thought occurs to me that I?m standing in the same spot that Larry was not ten minutes ago. I?m sharing his shower. I also slowly realize that I have no shampoo or conditioner of my own, nor do I have anything else with me. I?ve been forced to use his. I reach for the first bottle, hoping he?ll understand. I finish with my hair, and I turn toward the Irish Spring bar. I hesitate. That?s the same bar of soap he uses. That?s crossing a boundary I really don?t feel comfortable crossing. I?ve always been faithful to my Bath and Body Works shower gels anyway and I decide to leave the Irish Spring. Having to smell the Biolage all day will be enough torture, thank you. As I?m finishing, I hear the door creak open. Through the shower curtain, I see Larry?s shadow carrying a pile of something over to the toilet. He sets it down, and as he exits, I hear his voice, ?I?ve brought your clothes in.?
?Thank you,? I say as he shuts the door. Is he angry with me? That can be addressed soon enough. I step out of the shower, dry off and turn to the pile of clothes on the closed toilet seat. There lie my jeans, my undergarments lay on the floor where I tossed them when I undressed, and beneath the jeans lies a shirt I don?t recognize. I sigh when I figure out that Larry?s lending me a shirt of his. It?s a plain black button down, and I leave that for last as I reach for the rest of my clothes. I finally reach for the shirt and as I slide it on, I can?t help but shudder. It smells like him. I step up to the mirror and run a comb through my hair, thinking I?ll fix it further when I get back to my own room. I examine myself for another moment in the mirror, no makeup, undone hair and in Larry?s shirt. I spend another moment wondering what I?m going to do or say when I walk out of the bathroom again. He?s been doing nothing but helping me since last night. He stayed with me all night just to make sure I was okay, he?s been helping me over a hangover, letting me use his shower, he?s helped me clean up, and for God?s sake, he?s lent me his clothing. And he?s been spending all night trying to get me to confront something I?ve been terrified of for the past few months. And me? I?ve been nothing but difficult.

I?m grateful that my headache has died down a little. When I emerge from the bathroom the sunlight through the now open curtains seems much less assaulting. Larry is standing near the balcony doors with his back to me. ?Hey,? I croak out quietly.
He turns toward me and throws me a half smile, ?How are you feeling??
?Much better,? I say, leaning up against the wall. ?Thank you.?
?Good,? comes his reply. He?s facing me now, leaning against the table across the room. For another moment we only watch each other. His eyes have narrowed again, only this time I feel like he?s scrutinizing me. That half-smile on his face grows, ?How?s the shirt?? He motions to the shirt I?m wearing.
?Great, thanks.?
?It?s tight on me, so I thought it would fit you,? as he speaks I can?t help but notice the shape of his shoulders beneath the gray shirt he?s wearing. Of course, it?s left open.
?Yeah, it?s perfect,? I start.
Another moment where we stand and watch each other, and God he?s beautiful. And I don?t think it?s just the hangover thinking he?s a sight for sore eyes. His lips are parted slightly, that beautiful mouth of his? I look down at the ground, and I can still feel his stare. A second later, I look up and he?s walking across the room toward me. When he reaches for my shirt I?m a little surprised. I can?t recoil because I?m leaning against the wall, but I look up at him when I realize he?s fastening a button. ?You missed one,? his voice is quiet again.
I shudder when the word ?one? comes out of his mouth. That?s one word that makes his accent absolutely maddening. His eyes hold mine captive for another second, and I finally respond, ?I?m sorry I?ve been so difficult.?
?Is it that hard for you to believe that I might actually care about you?? he asks, snaking his arms around me.
?I suppose that would be too good to be true.?
Larry sighs, ?Tess, pity is not an acceptable motive for me. You know that. I don?t let people sleep in the same bed with me because I pity them. When I kiss a woman,? he leans closer to me, ?It?s not because I pity her.?
I say nothing, but before I can his mouth brushes against mine. A knock at the door interrupts us, ?Room service, sir!? I close my eyes and exhale, thankful for the wall I?m leaning against as Larry pulls away from me. Even from that short brush across the mouth, my knees are weak.
?Set it over there,? Larry?s voice comes again, this time hard. He?s giving an order, and I look up to see that he?s ordered breakfast for us. There?s a man in a cook?s uniform setting trays on the table across the room, and Larry?s eyes catch mine again. Larry tips the cook, who then leaves, and Larry addresses me again, ?You really need to eat something.?
I walk over to the table by the window slowly, ?What?d you order for us?? I lift the lid off of the plate I?ve sat down in front of and I find scrambled eggs. Might I add that scrambled eggs happen to be my favorite breakfast food.
?I heard somewhere that this was your favorite,? Larry sits down across from me.
?That?s true,? I tell him, starting to eat. ?Thank you.?
He?s watching me, something in his eyes is playful yet scrutinizing, and I try my hardest not to watch his mouth while he eats. Unfortunately, something about the beautiful blue of his eyes is captivating. I finally shift my eyes down to table. For the rest of the meal, I try to avoid thinking about how beautiful his hands are. I try to avoid the inward shudder as I watch the way he slides the fork out of his mouth. My eyes happen to travel downward to where his neck meets his shoulder, and the small part of his chest that shows beneath the shirt he?s wearing. Suddenly last night comes back to mind and I silently marvel at the fact that his skin is just as smooth as it looks. He?s been telling me since last night to stop torturing myself. And maybe I?ll take his advice. I get up and as I set my plate on the cart that the cook left, I feel Larry?s arms slide around me. I can feel his chest against my back as he reaches around me and sets his plate on top of where I?ve just set mine. I turn in his arms, and I give in, sliding my arms around him. He looks down at me, ?Oh, so you?re not avoiding me anymore??
?You said yourself that I shouldn?t,? I slide my hands over his chest, and exhale when he steps closer to me.
?I?m glad to see you?re finally listening.?
There?s a short moment where we just stand, I?m still sliding my hands over his chest, tracing the line along his neck and shoulder. ?Thank you for taking care of me,? I start in a low voice, ?I really appreciate it? you have no idea.?
He presses a finger to my lips, ?Shh? you love me?? he asks, almost whispering. His face is inches away, and there?s the same softness in his eyes that I dismissed last night. He waits for no answer, ?Show me.?
I wait just a second, then I move that last inch and press my lips to his. I suppose that move wasn?t good enough for him, because he responds by kissing me even harder. And oh, he can kiss. He?s every last bit of heaven I thought he would be. Suddenly my feet have left the ground and he?s stopped kissing me. He?s carrying me across the room and there?s a mischievous smile on his face as my back hits the bed. He?s crawling over me, and before I can pull him down, he?s already done so and he?s kissing me again. I see he wastes no time. Kisses lead to touches, which finally leads to clothing getting mysteriously looser, and he?s got my (his) shirt unbuttoned and open, his mouth at my neck. Then, as fate would have it, the phone rings. He ignores it the first time. The second time it rings, he throws it a glance, and the third time it rings, he finally stops and picks it up, ?Yes??? he sounds irritated, ?Yes, she?s here? Oh, I thought I told someone? Yes, that?s fine. I?m sorry? Thank you.? When he hangs it up again, I?m disappointed when he rolls off of me and props himself on his side next to me. ?That was your manager.?
?Aha,? I sigh.
?Apparently I never told anyone when I brought you back here.?
I roll onto my side and wrap an arm around his waist, ?So they?ve been going crazy looking for me.?
?Pretty much,? he leans down and kisses me again, ?But I told them I?d bring you back to your hotel.?
?I suppose that would be the proper thing to do, then.?
He stands up off the bed and walks away, returning a moment later with my shoes. ?C?mon.?
I sit up, a little disappointed. Perhaps things were moving too quickly anyway. I pick up my tank top, and Larry walks me out. I find myself suddenly counting down the minutes to tonight?s after party?

Last edited:
"I slowly stand, and as I level with the mirror, I notice Larry leaning against the doorframe. There?s a towel wrapped around his waist. Water is still trailing down his shoulder and chest, and his hair is soaked."

Ahhhh, what an image! :larry: :drool:

Thanks for updating Bona, this is good stuff!!!

U2Soul said:
After just having seen the stills of Larry from the ES video, can I just say that this hits the spot?:drool: :love:

Hell yeah!

OMG! This story is GREAT Bona! I loved every last second of it! I love reading it. And I hope theres more!

:drool: Larry in a towel... what a thought! What a vision! ;)

hooray for more bona stories

I am loving this one as much as I loved the last one I read. (damn, I can't remember the title but it had to do with the sun or something! :D )
You write such personal stories that really hit home with people. Keep it up. ( I know school blows...go illini)

~wha

I love the fic. It's great! Larry in a towel :drool: :censored: :tongue:

I do have a really dumb question though! :) Why is she "torturing herself" for loving Larry? I didn't understand that (though I probably should have figured it out by now).
Is it because of:
A) past failed relationships and she doesn't want to hurt Larry
B) She doesn't think he will respect her if he knows she started out as a big fan
C) some other reason that went completely over my head :confused:

Sorry! It just takes me a while to catch on to stuff. Like if someone tells a joke, I'm the one that laughs like 5 minutes after else has finished! LOL! :shrug: :der:

Thanks!

Hey Quiggs!!

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!!

I think Tessa's whole hang up about loving Larry is that she doesn't think she's good enough for him. She thinks he'd be repulsed by her, and the possiblility of him loving her is impossible to her... I think that's what she's on about.

And girls, I SWEAR, the next installment is almost done. Like, tonight, I promise. Don't leave me!!! *sniff* *feels lonely*

~Bona

Bonavoix said:
Hey Quiggs!!

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!!

I think Tessa's whole hang up about loving Larry is that she doesn't think she's good enough for him. She thinks he'd be repulsed by her, and the possiblility of him loving her is impossible to her... I think that's what she's on about.

And girls, I SWEAR, the next installment is almost done. Like, tonight, I promise. Don't leave me!!! *sniff* *feels lonely*

~Bona

I'm right here, waiting patiently! So don't feel lonely :wink:

Alrighty, folks. Here it is... sorry it took me so long. Really. Things have been hella crazy around here lately and I think I fired my muse. So I had to hire a new one and all that... so that's why it took ten thousand years to do this part...

Methinks one more installment after this and this puppy will be said for. Maybe two. We'll see how Tessa and Larry feel. ;)

Speaking of, enjoy!
~Bona
P.S. I LOVE feedback!!! :D

------------------------------------------------------

We walk along the hallways, and after a few minutes Larry starts to lead the way. When we walk out an obscure back door and outside, I wonder abstractly how far he plans to walk me out. I follow him along the back of the hotel and finally between two large trucks, where he stops next to a motorcycle.
?What are you doing?? I ask.
?Taking you back,? he slides a helmet on and straddles the bike. ?Like I said I would.?
I nod and walk up next to him, a little confused.
He looks over at me and waves me over, ?C?mon. Get on.?
I do as I?m told, and grab ahold of his shirt.
?You?ll have to hold on a bit more tightly than that,? he calls back to me.
I move closer to him and wrap my arms around his waist, and as I do so I realize that Biolage and Irish Spring will be invading my breath for the next few minutes. Typically, a bike ride wouldn?t be a big deal in my mind, but for the next few minutes it?s just that. Between the vibration of the bike underneath me, every breath being saturated with Larry, and being less than an inch away from him, it?s almost sensory overload. The city around us seems supernaturally beautiful as it flies past us, and I smile to myself as I see people in cars do double-takes at their unsure recognition of the passing Harley?s driver and passenger. It seems funny to me because for a while there I forgot how internationally famous Larry is.
After another few minutes Larry pulls around the back of my hotel and finds a secluded place to park. I let go of him, if anything a little hesitant in my own mind, and I stand next to him. ?Thank you,? I tell him.
He removes his helmet, ?It was nothing.?
?Do you want to come in? For a drink, maybe?? I?m surprised at my own words. This is not a date. Why does it feel like the last part of one?
He looks down and exhales. Immediately I panic, thinking that I?ve said something wrong. He looks up at me briefly and says quickly, ?No.?
?Okay,? I stare down at my feet. This is awkward. What now? I feel his hand on my waist and when I look up, his face is right there, waiting. Something in his eyes is intoxicating, and I have a reassuring feeling that I said nothing wrong. For the first time that I can remember, I act on impulse and I lean up and kiss him. He?s vaguely responsive, though I notice that his hand slips around to the small of my back. When he pulls back, I stare up at him for a second and I touch a finger to his lips, ?You should go,? I almost whisper.
?Yes. I?ll see you later,? and he pulls away from me.
?Thanks again.?
?It was nothing,? he smiles at me, and once again I shatter. I watch him pull away and then walk inside, wondering what comes next.

My problem is that I tend to cling. I mean really cling. Hence the fact that I?ve been trying to occupy myself otherwise and not rely on Larry tonight. I don?t want to assume that what happened last night or this morning means much of anything. For all I know, I really am a charity case and he only did it to pacify me, thinking that maybe I?d feel better later. My train of thought has been heading this way all day, and part of me is resenting him for it. Then again, the more sensible side of me realizes that he wouldn?t do that. He doesn?t strike me as the heartbreaker type of man who hands things like this out for sympathy. Maybe I?m being a little cynical, maybe I?m being a little na?ve. But tonight I?ve been a little smarter. I?ve been sticking to coke tonight, laying off the alcohol. I?ve been a sort of wallflower tonight, because I?m not much of a dancer at all. My pianist, Jen, who also happens to be my best friend grilled me earlier about what happened to me last night. You can imagine her reaction when I told her I?d spent the night at Larry?s. Her eyes grew to about the size of tennis balls. I told her nothing happened, and she seemed skeptical. Right now I?m leaning against the wall and she?s grilling me again. Out of the corner of my eye I catch Larry talking with Edge across the room, and I barely hear Jen when she asks me, ?So what really happened last night??
?Nothing, I?ve told you,? I insist. I can?t help but keep watching Larry. He?s wearing the shirt he loaned me this morning, which I gave back to him earlier this evening. And as usual, the King of Teasing is wearing it half open.
?You know you?re a horrible liar, right Tess?? she grins at me.
?Yeah, I know.?
?So what happened last night? For Chrissakes, I?m your best friend, you can tell me.?
?No, Jen, I?m afraid I can?t.?
?Why not??
?Because nothing happened,? I deadpan. Jen looks frustrated. She?s starting to tap her foot on the floor, one of her little anxious habits that?s a good indicator that she?s upset. Larry?s facing me now, and I see that he?s holding a bottle of Veuve-Clicquot. He?s staring at me, and there?s a mischievous grin on his face, the same glow in his eyes and he takes a swig of the Veuve right out of the bottle. It?s practically dripping from his lips, and I?m having trouble watching him like this. So I turn back to Jen and out of the corner of my eye I notice that Larry?s making his way across the room toward me. Before I have a chance to consider what he?s doing, he?s standing right next to me and he?s got his arm around my waist. He?s right against me and he?s making me tremble just slightly. The three of us are just standing and talking for a few minutes, and he?s getting closer and closer to me, until finally he takes another sip of champagne. Suddenly he?s got my back against the wall and then I?m tasting champagne and Larry. He?s pinned against me and between his kiss and the wall I can?t really move. His lips are cold from the champagne, but there?s something else digging into me lower down. I can tell this is another of his ways to tease me. Why is he being so relentless? One last taste of champagne and Larry and he?s pulled back, staring me in the face. He?s grinning ear to ear and just before he walks away, he gives me one last brush across the mouth. He?s halfway across the room before I feel Jen slap me on the arm and I look over at her.
?Nothing happened, huh?? she almost spits at me.
I smile at her, ?Nope. Nothing happened,? and I walk away. I slip into a bathroom and splash a bit of water on my face. I look up into the mirror, and I can tell my face is flushed. Understandably so, too. I lick my lips and I can still taste champagne. I exhale deeply and splash a little more water onto my face. Suddenly, I hear the door open, and before I can panic, I realize it?s Larry. He enters and shuts the door behind him. I turn and stare at him for a moment. No one speaks, and for a moment, no one moves either. For a moment, it?s only he and I and tension so thick you could cut it with a knife. Then wordlessly, he glides up to me. His arms slide around my waist, his forehead touches mine, and finally, his mouth is on mine. Not roughly, like in the other room, but smoothly. He still tastes like champagne. I don?t feel like fighting him anymore. I realize abruptly that I have no reason to. So here we stand like a couple of high schoolers, making out in the bathroom. The idiocy of the situation dawns on me and I can?t help but laugh. He stops, gives me a look and under his breath, ?What?s funny??
?I feel like we?ve reverted back to high school,? I trace my hand along his neck.
He chuckles and rolls his eyes, ?C?mon then.?
I follow him out the door and down the hall. Upon entering the room again, I feel a sudden case of d?j? vu. That feeling is confirmed when he scoops me up from behind and once he?s hovering over me on the bed, his eyes brighten, ?Is this better??
?Yes,? I pull him down to me while his mouth traps mine. We?re almost exactly where we left off this morning. Things seem to progress rather quickly, kisses leading to touches, to clothing getting looser and in some cases, removed entirely. His shirt is somewhere on the floor by now, probably disappeared to wherever mine went. Everything he?s doing is perfect, feels perfect, and maybe this is just perspective, but I?m finding that he?s surpassing even what I?ve imagined. I?m only hoping I can return half as much. It?s pitch black in here now, and he?s got me down to my bra and panties. I haven?t had the courage to venture that far with him. He pulls back for a moment, stealing his kiss away for a moment. I wonder what he?s doing, and the quiet sound of a zipper answers my question. He?s hovering over me again when I hear my cell phone ring. Dammit. Murphy?s Law. I sigh and move toward the edge of the bed. He stops me, ?Do you have to answer that??
I had immediately considered ignoring it, but I have this feeling something is drastically wrong. ?Yes,? and I pick it up. ?Yes??
The voice on the other end is broken, and I recognize it to be my mother, ?Tessa, honey??
?Mom, what?s wrong? It?s 2am??
?Honey, I think you should come home.?
?Mom, I can?t, you know that.?
?But Tessa---?
?Mom, I can?t just up and leave the tour---?
?Tessa Ann, your father is in the hospital.?
I stop. ?What happened??
?It was a stroke?? I can tell she?s been crying.
?My God, how is he doing??
?He?s in a coma.?
?Well is he gonna pull out of it?? suddenly I feel guilty, sitting here in practically nothing in a room that smells like foreplay while my father could be dying. I sit on the bed, and I feel Larry?s arm slide around me.
?It?s not likely? there?s really not much they can do for him,? my mother?s voice is breaking up, and I can hear the lump in her throat even from thousands of miles away.
?Mom??
?Tessa, I think it?s a good idea that you come home and say goodbye.?
Tears. Instant tears that I?ve been holding back, tears that Paul Simon said that even music cannot substitute for. I jump at the warmth of Larry?s chest against my back and his arms wrapping around me, holding me to him. I coil into him. He?s all the comfort I have right now? My father is the center of my universe. He?s the one thing that stayed steady when everything else didn?t. When the rest of the world was cold and trying too hard to be proper, Daddy was human. Daddy was real, and I knew he?d always be there.
?Tess, call me tomorrow, okay?? I hear my mother?s sweet voice on the other end of the phone.
?I will??
?I love you.?
?I love you, too, Mom?? Click. Silence.
?What happened?? Larry whispers, his embrace tightening.
I lay farther back into him and explain the best I can. He pulls me back down onto the bed and curls up next to me. He still hasn?t let me go. I feel a little better when I?m close to him this way, I can admit that now.
?If you need to go home, Tess---?
?I don?t know if I can.?
?Of course you can,? his voice is urgent. ?It?s your father.?
I say nothing for a moment. ?I?ll talk to them tomorrow.?
Silence, and I feel Larry tighten his hold on me a little. As usual, I have trouble falling asleep, but tonight it?s because I?m worried.

More, more, more, pretty please!

My only nitpick is concerning Larry letting Tessa get on his bike without a helmet while he's wearing one, but that's just a minor detail that doesn't take anything away from the story and your writing, which are great. :)

Back
Top Bottom