Surrender - Chapter 4 (22/03/08)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildHoney

Blue Crack Distributor
A REAL Life PLEBAn and proud of it....YES we are R
Disclaimer: Totally untrue, don't know the band although i wish i did. etc, etc.....

NB - A reminder KISA = the name given to Bono in Chapter 1 by Sadie as she couldn't read his note. KISA is short for Knight In Shining Armour.

1980-1.jpg

End of Chapter 3

They toured Holland and Belgium for a further 3 dates. Bono was stuck down by the “flu”. He found it hard to finish the concerts and wasn’t in the best of form. Deep down though his betrayal of his Sadie was paining him deeply, he needed to be forgiven. Yet would she think him mad if he admitted to cheating on her even though they weren’t together? He was back in London soon, where he’d be able to see her, to hold her, make passionate love to her. They’d be able to spend some time together. The band had 3 weeks off before going off on a UK tour and then onto America.

Tomorrow he would see his beloved Sadie

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

Edge looked over at the hunched outline of Bono, he was really fretting, he obviously was having trouble sleeping and his restless turning woke Edge at every turn. The last few days Bono had withdrawn into himself, he had hardly said a word to anyone, all he wanted to do was read his bible using a small torchlight to see in the van’s darkness.

Edge put his head back onto his pillow, he needed sleep, and he’d talk to Bono tomorrow.

The journey back to London seemed an eternity to Bono. He just needed to get back to Sadie, see if she’d recovered, and see if she wanted him as much as he desired her.

He kept reading his bible as if it was penance handed to him by a priest for his sins, to cleanse his soul. He couldn’t sleep, all the “What if’s” running through he’s mind.

He heard Edge shift his body, he felt guilty for disturbing his friends sleep but the space in the van was tight. He tried to settle, he was ill and the meds were making him drowsy. He wanted to sleep, to dream of his love. Not realizing that the drugs he’d taken would bring him the deliciousness of sleep he longed for if he’d only succumb.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

The van stopped. Joe walked around and opened the door, the smell of stale male locker room from the four young Irishmen all tucked up in their sleeping bags greeted his nostrils. Joe was so glad he got to sit up front.

“Bono,” He grabbed the foot of the man in question, nothing “BONO”, this time vigorously shaking his foot.

“ehhhhhhhhhhhh, piss off leave me alone”, Bono’s grumpiness beyond doubt, the sleeping bag pulled up to cover his face,

“Bono, we’re at the hospital. You wanna get out or not? “Joe just wanted to get home to get a good meal and a good sleep.

Bono sprang up, “Bollox, I look like crap,”

Larry rolled his eyes, he looked at Bono puckering his lips as if to kiss him “You look Gorgeous, Baby” .

He looked as Bono gave him the Bono death stare, He would have to perfect one of those for himself. A look that would tell people that Larry was telling them to FOAD. That would be cool.

Edge looked at Bono “Sure, she’ll be pleased to see you; she won’t care what you look like. Go get her stud.”

Bono smiled at Edge, he always knew what to say. Bono shuffled out of the sleeping bag, wriggling like a snake, climbed out of the van, and began to walk away

“Bono, you want to get arrested? “ Joe yelled

Bono turned around, Joe was holding up his jeans. Bono looked down, god that was lucky, he could have walked into the hospital in just his t-shirt. He needed to get his mind in check. He had to speak to Sadie and tell her how he felt. He wasn’t articulate like Adam but he was a lyricist, a poet so he’d speak straight from his heart.

“The thing that puzzles me is why Bono didn’t unzip his sleeping bag?” Adam inquisitively asked the others as they watched Bono disappear into the hospital.

He walked up to the bed were he’d left her, his palm sweaty from the nerves, He prepared himself, to remain calm when he saw her, to restrain the urgent need to run and hug her tightly. But his heart came to his mouth when she wasn’t there. He panicked, God what if she’d taken a turn for the worse, what if… no that didn’t bare thinking about, losing her before he’d told her.

“Oh hello there”, a nurse touched him gently on the shoulder, “Are you looking for Sadie?”

Bono looked at her, scared of what she would tell him

“Don’t worry honey, she’s fine, she was discharged 5 minutes ago, you must have past her on the way in”

Bono looked the nurse, horrified. “Where did she go? Who was she with?”

“Her friend, Julie I think her name was, she went towards the lift” she called after Bono as he ran to whence he just came.

As he got to the lift, the doors closed, “Shit!! Bollox! ” he slammed his hands on the metal door, looking for the stairway. Bono ran and jumped down the 3 flights to the ground floor. The lift door opened as he reached the ground floor, nothing. Sadie wasn’t in there. His eyes scanned the hospital lobby, he couldn’t see her. He ran outside the entrance, still he couldn’t see her,

Bono fell to his knees, screaming; pleading that she hear him and run back to him “SADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE”

He couldn’t have lost her, he just couldn’t have. He crumbled the ground, wanting God to take him now.

Edge walked to him. He crouched beside his distraught friend and put his arm around him too comfort, Bono clasped into Edge’s arms, sobbing uncontrollably. Edge had no words, he just held his friend. Larry strolled over, Edge looked at him, neither of them knowing how best to respond to Bono, no one had ever seen him this emotional. Edge and Larry lifted Bono slowly to his feet and supported him to the van. Bono sat down in his usual spot, picked up his bible and carried on reading.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

“Did you hear that??” Sadie looked at Julie

“Hear what??” Julie asked

“I thought I heard someone shout my name. It must be my imagination, take me home girlfriend” Sadie smiled, but for some reason her heart ached.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

Fate & destiny sometimes don’t take the most logical path. For why when Sadie & Bono are within sight of one another, did they not see or hear each other? For them to know this would destroy both their souls, so where this tale leads us, no one really knows.

Bono lay naked and wet in his small bedroom at 10 Cedarwood Avenue. His father had gone out to his club, leaving Bono alone which was fine by him. He had been partying into the small hours, and was not feeling too good, he’d had a bath but was too lazy to towel himself dry so he lay on the bed looking at the ceiling .

He began to sing.. “All is quiet on New Year’s Day”, that was good he thought, grabbing his notebook from the side table. He wrote it down and placed his notebook back, not bothering to pick up the pen as it rolled onto the floor.

Bono thought about the year just gone. 1980 had been a big year for him and the boys. They had played their first American and Canadian gigs which had been for the most part well received and their first album “Boy” had reached 52 in the UK charts: they had built up good fan bases in Europe. 1981 would hopefully bring more recognition across the pond and there was a new album later scheduled for the end of the year. Hundreds of gigs but Bono treasured them, that’s what U2 were all about, playing live. Then there was Sadie, he still couldn’t get her out of his mind, he didn’t want to. She hadn’t called him, which had pissed him off. Edge then asked what number he’d given her and pointed out she’d have a lot of trouble as he hadn’t told her it was an Irish number. God he had felt such an eejit when he realized. Now she was lost somewhere in the universe, he hoped she’d find out who he was and get hold of him, he’d left strict instructions that anything from her must be forwarded onto him. Every English gig he searched the crowd, looking for her, pulling up girls on stage who looked like her, in the hope one day it WOULD be Sadie.

He picked up his bible and read from the Book of Psalms, his favorite part of the good book particularly Psalm 40.Over the last few months he’d turned more to God, he had really got involved with Shalom along with Larry & Edge: every week they religiously attended prayer meetings. Poor Adam didn’t get it; Bono never would understand why but respected his choice. He looked up to the heavens and sighed “Mammy, please send me my angel Sadie”

Sadie hadn’t been out in months. Julie had begged her to come out tonight, and Julie had been an angel putting up with her and all her mood swings. She’d made an effort, dressing in her own style; Sadie had never followed fashion to the letter, the fashion police were always after her. She walked into the pub, and up to the bar. She could feel eyes following her every move. It freaked her out a little but nothing would happen to her here.

“Hi Paddy, the usual please “

Paddy, the barman looked up “my good lord, is it not me angel Sadie”, a smile erupting on his face. “It’s been too long, sugar. T’was a terrible thing that happened to you but I missed you so”, he hugged her over the bar counter.

“Thanks Paddy. I missed you too. Thanks for the flowers that was so sweet but totally unnecessary “, she slowly removed her jacket placing it the back of her stool.

Paddy handed Sadie her Jamieson, “This one’s on the house, Sadie.”

Sadie lent over and kissed him on the cheek. Paddy blushed.

“Don’t be doing that, Molly will get all jealous”, he said laughing

“She’d only be too pleased for me to take you off her hands after all these years”, Sadie jokingly responded. “How many years are you married now?”

“It’ll be 25 this year! And I don’t regret a moment of it. But don’t tell herself” Paddy looked to see if Molly had overheard him.

Sadie laughed; she hadn’t felt like laughing in a long time. Maybe it was time to get on with life before it passed her by.

********************************************************************************************************************************************

His heart had stopped when she’d walked in. She was obviously a local but he hadn’t seen her in here before. He picked up his Guinness and sipped it carefully, not as nice as a pint in Dublin but it’d have to do. He checked her out; girls in Ireland just didn’t dress like that. She was wearing a pair of tight black leather trousers with a little leather jacket, with a pair of those pixie boots, everything on her so tight it was like a second skin. A dark angel. Then his eyes had popped out of their sockets when she removed her jacket, she was wearing one of those boob tube tops that showed her amble chest to its full potential. God he was horny now.

He whispered to his boys. He wanted this foxy chick and what Michael Murphy wanted he always got.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Sadie felt a hand on her shoulder, “Hi Julie”

She turned around to see a confused looking man,

“I’ve been called a lot of things but never Julie”, he smiled offering his hand “My name’s Michael Murphy, may I join you?”

“I’m actually waiting for my friend”, Sadie tried not to drool at his Irish accent

“I can’t see her yet, and it seems a tragedy to have a beautiful woman like you all alone” he sat him self down in the neighboring stool.

“Well ok, but I’ll have to go as soon as she arrives”, Sadie stuttered, at first panic took hold until the realization that with Paddy around she’d be safe.

“It makes a nice change to see a lady drinking a real drink rather than one of those Campari Soda things. Paddy another drink is for the lady if you please.” Michael gestured to Paddy to comply with his order.

“Thank you”, Sadie smiled “Oh where are my manners, I’m Sadie Murray”

“Surely the pleasure is all mine, Sadie Murray. Have you a little bit of Irish in you?” a roguish grin appeared on Michael’s face at his double entendre.

“Yeah, my parents originated from Slane in county Meath, well I do too I suppose, they moved to London when I was 3 so I don’t remember that much”

“Well I won’t hold that against you” Michael laughed with a twinkle in his eyes.” I’m from North Dublin myself; I have businesses both in Dublin & here so I live wherever I’m needed.” Michael breathed a sigh of relief at least she had no idea of his background.

“Wow an entrepreneur, impressive. So please tell Michael Murphy what business are you in?” Sadie’s confidence was growing; she was settling back into normality.

“I’m in export/import nothing in particular just whatever the people want and need”, Michael took a breath, and sipped from his glass.

Sadie looked at him. She saw dancing lights in his very blue eyes, a rakish grin that light up his face when he smiled, and his laugh sent shivers through her soul. He was a typical Irishman with his freckles and brown hair and she knew that his devilish tongue would be hiding a sorrowful heart. His handsome face with those good cheekbones and that fieriness all Irishmen seemed to have hidden behind that charm. He was so similar to KISA although more muscular.

“So I was thinking to myself, that a beautiful woman like you surely has a lucky man in her life?” Michael looked into her eyes.

Michael was truly stunned by Sadie’s natural beauty; her deep green eyes sparkled with intensity against her pale completion, her ruby red lips looked so full and ripe, long dark hair with natural red streaks giving her Irish heritage away. She didn’t have any makeup on she didn’t need it.

“No I’m just a family of one. My da past away a few years ago, my ma moved back to Ireland after he went. No man, they just can’t handle me!” Sadie knew how much she was flirting with him, she couldn’t help it.

“Well now, please let me have the honour of taking you for dinner tomorrow night” Michael was effortlessly laying on the charm now. He had Sadie where he wanted her, right in the palm of his hand; she’d be in between his legs in no time.

Sadie looked at him. “What about KISA?” her heart yelled. Her head yelled that she’d tried to find him but couldn’t, her heart argued back that it belonged to KISA and her brain fought back with the realization that she may never see KISA again.

“Let me check my diary. Nope I’m free” she laughed.

“That’s grand. Now shall I pick you up from here say 7 O’clock tomorrow?” Michael’s warm smile, melting her resolve not to drool.

“Sure. At least if you stand me up I can drown my sorrows!! “Sadie smiled back licking her lips to hide any evidence

“Believe me Sadie, that won’t happen. I promise you by 11 O’clock tomorrow night it won’t be your sorrows you’re drowning in” a cheeky smirk appearing on his face.

He got up off his stool, turned Sadie towards him and placed the most intense kiss she’d ever experienced on her lips; it was a kiss straight from his soul no doubting it. He then picked up his pint and walked back to his mates, leaving Sadie totally speechless.

Sadie picked up her glass, and downed the remains in one mouthful, slamming the glass on the counter, Paddy reading her mind, placing a new one in front of her.

“Oh my god, you’ll never believe the problems I had getting here” Julie dumped her bag on the counter “Paddy my usual please”

“Sadie, you ok hun? You look like you’re going to hyperventilate “

“Sorry Jules, no I’m fine, just pulled myself a sexy Irishman”

“You have? When? Where? Who? “Julie inquisitive as usual.

Sadie looked over to Michael direction, at the same instance as he looked over to her. He smiled and raised his glass as if saluting her. Funny there was no heart stealing like with KISA but maybe she wasn’t as vulnerable as she had been then.

The girls turned back and started giggling

“Oh my god Sads, he is so fine, you lucky cow!”

“So having a yuppie boyfriend: who spends a fortune on you isn’t lucky, then Jules?? I mean George does look like Don Johnson” Sadie teased

“I didn’t say that but have you seen his hands and you know what they say about men with huge hands!! Irishmen are notorious for being well endowed and I’m not talking about his money girl!!

“Jules!! “ Sadie laughed trying to scold her friend.

The girls talked like the old days. Julie was so happy Sadie seemed to have returned to normal, she had been torturing herself for so long. Hopefully Michael would mean KISA would be forgotten and Sadie’s relentless search for him.

As the girls walked to the door to leave, Sadie wiggled her way to tease Michael, he watched her every move, she turned to blow him as kiss as Julie opened the door, and he smiled and winked at them both.

He smiled as he overheard her say to her friend outside, “God he is so hot. I’m wet just thinking about what I’ll get tomorrow night.”

God he was good. Michael Murphy was god’s gift to women, there was no doubting that. And he’d show her just what getting Irish into you meant.

Michael walked up to the bar, “Right then Paddy, where’s your protection money? “

Last edited:
Keep away from Michael--Bono's waiting!!! I'm so glad to see another chapter--I was going to wait til lunch hour to read but couldn't. :yes:

"show her just what getting Irish into you meant."

ohhhh- Wild, I love that line. Thinking only in Bono terms, of course, though!!!

Looking forward to more:) :macdevil:

Back
Top Bottom