SuperU2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bbug

Acrobat
Larry, Edge, Bono and Adam stood sheepishly before their manager.

"What do you mean, you've lost the disc!?" shouted Paul, veins bulging in his forehead. He hadn't been this upset since Bono lost an album's worth of lyrics some twenty years before. "For the love of God, you're in your FORTIES."

"Perhaps it's early onset Alzheimers." said Adam drily, puffing on a cigarette.

Paul glared at him. "I always have to be the bad guy and the nursemaid rolled into one. You're not KIDS anymore, for crying out loud!" His deep sexy voice faltered, becoming thin and high-pitched. "It's hopeless; it'll be released free online and we'll have to start from scratch and..." His face more than fell; it crumpled, and in an instant was streaming with tears.

"Dammit, what the bloody--" sputtered Larry, embarrassed by this show of emotion. Bono gave him a sharp look, and after a short eyeroll the drummer corrected himself. "Er, I mean, it could be lots worse, we've loads of other material that's, you know, half finished or so--"

"Yeah," said Bono, brightening, "We'll make something even better-- something that'll really knock your socks off! Give us a year or two..."

Paul's sobs increased in both frequency and intensity. Edge patted him on the shoulder, blushing the deep crimson of someone ashamed of himself for not being more responsible. "There, there, Paul. Larry? Get some of that chamomile tea over here, will you? Bring the tissues too, thanks." he said, as Larry walked out, grumbling that drummers never get any respect, especially pretty ones.

Edge gave Bono and Adam a meaningful look. "Think Larry can handle this, guys?" he whispered, gesturing toward the sobbing heap of Paul.

"I s'pose." said Adam.

"What?" asked Bono, looking up from polishing his Fly shades.

Edge rolled his eyes and crossed the room to a bookcase. He glanced sideways at Paul, who was so immersed in grief and frustration that he had forgotten they were in the room. Edge tugged on a copy of The Collected Poems of Walt Whitman, and the bookcase swung forward and revealed a guitar. Edge had only to start to play "With or Without You" when a bright light encircled the band and transformed them into...SuperU2!

Adam wore magic pants of silver that were so beautiful and pure as to force anyone he questioned to tell the truth. Bono's shades became so fly as to defy description, and could see directly through not only the thickest safes, but also the most blatantly false bullsh!t spewed by thieves. Edge's hat had an invisible propeller atop it, which he could use to fly. His ringing magic guitar acted as a sort of sonar that with careful calibration and complicated calculations, could aid in the discovery of the disc.

The three set off at once, not remotely worried that Larry was taking so long in getting tea, or that Paul was having a nervous breakdown. All would be right soon enough!

Last edited:
Mere moments after his bandmates had departed, Larry returned with a tea tray and a box of tissues for Paul.

"Bloody hell," he snarled, "Ran off! Leave me to search for the dumb thing? Think I'll take the blame? Think they can hide? They'd better run fast..."

Paul sniffled and looked up. "Oh, Larry." he said, taking the drummer's hand, "Have they run off? You've always been so kind and responsible, not one to leave when the going gets tough. When I see the others, sometimes I think I've failed as a manager, but then I look at how you turned out and--"

Paul was once again overcome by emotion. Larry looked extremely uncomfortable and tried to think of something to say to fill the silence.

"Erm," he started, "I know what you mean. You're a giver, not a taker. Well, except that you always take care of everyone around you...so I guess you're both." There was a long pause. "Would you like a cookie? I made them myself, that's what took me so long."

"Yes, very much, but I'd better not. They all laugh at my weight, you know, but I turn to food for comfort when I--when things get too much. I'm trying the Dr Phil plan..."

Larry shook his head. "Have one anyway; that's garbage. You should take up drumming, it's a great release and it can be an exercise program, too."

"Really?" asked Paul.

Larry nodded, solemn. "I drum 8 hours a day, every day." He pulled a color-coded schedule from his pocket and showed it to Paul...

Adam had been to various posh locations. Clubs, boutiques, cafes, music stores. He'd even been to a gym or three, something he'd do only under duress. In spite of questioned everyone who seemed even remotely worthy of suspicion, he had no leads as to the disc's whereabouts.

Bono's search was slower. He looked carefully through the walls of the surrounding buildings and into all the cars lining the streets. Stopping passersby to talk, he'd gaze directly at them, as he monitored the BS detector on the inside of his lenses. Unfortunately he was delayed by a policeman who thought he was casing the neighborhood, and lost a great deal of time.

Edge flew above the city at a leisurely pace, strumming his guitar and making mental calculations. He enjoyed being a crime-fighting, lost-items-finding man-o-copter and often secretly wished that it was his main job. But he got the chance only when something awful had happened...a great loss, a serious crime. He cleared his mind for a moment and stopped playing. Suddenly it came to him-- where he'd left it-- and he began to descend slowly.

Paul, Larry, Edge, Bono and Adam were all assembled in U2 headquarters. The disc lay on the table in front of them.

"So you wanted to lose the music?" asked Bono, clearly puzzled.

"Putting aside for a moment that we all worked so hard to put that together, and it sucks for you to accidentally on purpose lose it, why'd you have to scare Paul like that?" said Larry angrily, "All he ever does is support and promote us." Paul did indeed look hurt. "And also, how come I don't get a superpower? Drummers always get shortchanged-- I'm the one who posted a notice about forming a band, if you'll remember--"

Adam interrupted in a soft voice. "I think I know what he means when he says he wanted to."

Everyone turned and gazed intently at Adam as he explained, "It's great work, being a rockstar, but after fifteen years or so even that gets a bit routine. It's not often I get to wear my pants of truth and purity, or that Bono gets to look through things, or that Edge gets to fly around with a magic sonar guitar. I mean, our last big adventure was what, 1998 or so?"

"The Great Guinness caper." said Bono, wistfully. "If only our powers were more conventional, we could've used them to raise awareness of AIDs and arrange debt forgiveness, but sadly, no."

"The point is," continued Adam, "a nice bloke like Edge would never pull a stunt like this on purpose. It was his subconscious mind."

Larry still looked a bit peeved. "I still don't understand why Paul and I don't have superpowers. This whole thing makes no sense; it's like something a sarcastic and sleep-deprived fangirl would dream up at 4 am!" Paul nodded his agreement, with an authoritative and appraising glint in his deeply gorgeous eyes.

"Don't you understand!" said Bono, taking off his shades and gesturing excitedly with them, "Paul, your care and concern for us, even when we do really stupid things like losing a suitcase full of lyrics or something, is your superpower. And you always stick by us, and speak kindly of us in the press. Of course, it is what we pay you for, but still-- you're the ultimate manager, the paragon of...you know, good stuff about that position. If you'd transformed with us, you'd also have been able to drink Guinness all night and never get drunk--but only Guinness." Bono paused for breath before turning to the drummer, "And Larry-- Larry, you're an original! Your superpower is the gruff but sincere affection you have for all God's creatures. That and your very good looks, which can cause a woman to melt from a half mile away. Edge has done the calculations, and if we'd let you stand with us when Edge played that guitar--well, you would've become so fantastically beautiful that witnesses would lose their eyesight. And that's not what this band is about!"

Larry looked thoughtful for a moment, and then addressed Edge. "So it was in your car all along?" asked Larry skeptically.

Edge blushed. "I'm really sorry guys, I searched it three times...I could've sworn I was thorough!"

"Well, then why didn't Bono see it?" asked Paul.

Bono shrugged. "I figured Edge'd already checked it three times, and he's far more organized than I am."

Larry pounded the table. "Bloody hell, that's shoddy work. You'd better bring me next time; I'll ugly up or wear a hazmat suit or something, don't worry..."

And they all had a good laugh, a cup of tea, and some of Larry's scrumptious cookies. For even without U2 magic, he was a super cook.

THE END

Last edited:
:laugh: :applaud:

Action, adventure, humor, and the reason for the P in Pleba! :drool: What more could a sarcastic sleep-deprived fangirl want?

Back
Top Bottom