Sundance Alert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
616.jpg

Targon1991 said:
I just saw it! :D

All of them were there. It was amazing! :hyper:

The film is probably the closest experience you can have of a U2 concert, without going to a show.
Oh, and in the middle of Sunday, Bloody Sunday, The Edge started singing in the theater.
Guh,
I have no more words...

That's awesome that you were at the premiere, Targon!

Last edited:
Targon1991 said:
I just saw it! :D

All of them were there. It was amazing! :hyper:

The film is probably the closest experience you can have of a U2 concert, without going to a show.
Oh, and in the middle of Sunday, Bloody Sunday, The Edge started singing in the theater.
Guh,
I have no more words...

:faint: NO WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is freakin awesome ....

From http://blogs.sltrib.com/sundance/index.htm :

U2 draws bigwigs

Saturday night's premiere of "U2 3D" drew some important players to the Eccles Theatre.

Nobel laureate Al Gore and former Time Warner CEO Richard Parsons (wearing a Bugs Bunny sweater - now that's corporate loyalty) were among those crowding the lobby before the sold-out show.

U2 rocks Park City

It's a rare moment at the Sundance Film Festival when Robert Redford isn't the most famous person in the room.

But when he walked into the Eccles Theatre Saturday night with the members of U2 -- Bono, the Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. -- and took seats next to Nobel Peace Prize laureate Al Gore, the fame-o-meter hit the red zone.

Saturday night's event -- and, from the anticipation level, the event of the 2008 Sundance Film Festival -- was the premiere of "U2 3D," a bold concert documentary of the Irish band filmed on the South American leg of its "Vertigo" tour.

The show was a must-get ticket, and drew such famous names as Jared Leto, Elisabeth Shue, director Davis Guggenheim (Shue’s husband and the director of Gore’s "An Inconvenient Truth") and Nickelodeon star Josh Peck.

The audience screamed when the band entered the theater with Redford, and erupted in even louder cheers when festival director Geoffrey Gilmore called them up to the stage.

"There's a lot of love and Irish whiskey in the air," Bono said, adding a joke: "If this festival were in Dublin, it would be Raindance."

"We understand we are guests, and this is not our milieu, so to speak," Bono said, as he praised Redford and Gilmore for their support of independent film.

Bono did give a minor criticism of the film in advance: "As large as The Edge looks in 'U2 3D,' it's not large enough."

With that, and the foursome's pose in their 3D glasses, the movie started, and the audience treated it like the rock show that it is -- cheering and applauding, occasionally singing along and in one arresting image holding up their cellphones like candles when the movie's South American audience did. At the end, festivalgoers delivered a standing ovation.

In the brief Q-and-A after the show, Bono noted the appropriateness of playing the movie at Park City High School. "We are a high school band, after all," he said.

Bono also said "this might be the night to kiss the Salt Lake ass," praising Utah’s capital city for its "very sophisticated" music scene and some great radio stations. (This got a laugh from some in the audience, but Bono seemed earnest.) "So, yes, we will be back in Salt Lake."

Bono further praised the film's directors, Catherine Owens and Mark Pellington, for taking a risk with newly invented 3D cameras. "Normally, you’d try it under laboratory conditions," Bono said. "We took it to South America with a rock band."

The biggest laugh of the night came when an audience member asked an esoteric question about U2's musical narrative, comparing it to the Beatles' "Yellow Submarine" -- to which Bono responded with an unprintable two-word rejoinder and a dismissive comment about "Octopus Garden."

But Bono took the questioner's point seriously enough to note U2's concerts string together the band's songs into a narrative of social activism, and messages of nonviolence and human rights. "Taking the [United Nations] Declaration of Human Rights on the road is hardly a flippant thing to do in this country these days," he said.

just got back a little while ago... not many people at all at the venue. we got there very late and were numbers 105/106 in the waitlist line. They said that they doubted they would get past number 100 in the waitlist line, so we opted to position ourselves for the best band access, a plan b, if you will. We were in a group of about 30 people and we got right next to the press entrance and we saw Nikki Hilton and Will.i.am show up who were the only celebs I recognized. There were a lot of execs and movie type people. Then the band showed up. Paul McGuinness was the first to show, then Larry followed by Bono, then Edge, then Adam. Larry actually stopped and signed a few autographs and then Bono was his usual self. Edge was all smiles and Adam was actually somewhat to him self and didn't really approach the fans from what I could tell. My g/f got a handshake from Bono, so the trip out to Utah was not for naught. lol.

Tons of celebs are in town, obviously. Other people we saw today...

Jack Black, Danny Glover, Pat Monahan (from Train), Randy Quaid, Tilda Swinton, Bill and Julianna Rancic, Kate Mara, and several more that I can't think of right now... I think we counted a total of 23 celebs that we got pictures of. Was a cold day for sure, mid 20's all day, and closing out the day with a solid U2 meet up was the icing on the cake.

We still have two days left so we're hoping to run into them again as there are a ton of things going on here this weekend.

I'll post some pictures later. The internet connection in our room sucks and it'll take an hour to upload them.

Back
Top Bottom