SUB-forums for PLEBA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you want sub-forums within PLEBA?

• Yes, bring them on!

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • No, yuck, we already have enough PLEBAn drool.

Votes: 57 66.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I say leave PLEBA as it is. One of the things I love most about PLEBA is the community. Perhaps I'm just being negative but I think the PLEBA spirit would be changed and maybe broken altogether.
Thanks for thinking about us though Elvis. :)

I think Madonna's Child said it well, and I do agree with most of you that seperate forums for each guy might not be a good thing for PLEBA. But I do have some suggestions for subforums want to see what others think of these ideas:

PLEBA was originally a place just to discuss the band members and post and drool over hot pics. As someone who has been reading it a long time, I have noticed the changes in it. I noticed when it became a lot more joke and game oriented, and when the fun stuff dominated and threads were so numerous they were pushed off the page at a high rate. So, here is an idea: we could leave PLEBA for the original purpose, and keep the threads condensed and to a minimum. Then we could create a subforum for the jokes, games and fun stuff. We could call it "PLEBA lite side" or 'PLEBA playground and it would be a fun place!

We could also have a seperate subforum to showcase all of our creative writing, poems, skits, plays and artwork. We could call it 'PLEBA Playhouse." It might even encourage more of us to not be shy and come forward with our own creations! I know there are other forums here for creative writing, but I think most PLEBA girls are too embarrassed to post there and have it seen by everybody since most of it is PLEBA suject matter related;) you know!

One more subforum idea: Sometimes PLEBA people become friends, develop close relationships and deep feelings for each other. Many of us, me included, have come to the PLEBA or Interference community for advice, support and other people's opinions on a private situation. Lots of us have brought our personal problems, sadnesses, worries and needs for help or advice with things in our lives here. Wouldn't it be nice to have a 'Dear PLEBA' type forum where we could feel free to pour our emotions out without the embarrassment of our thread being mixed in among hot pics and funny stuff? I think this is a good idea even if I did come up with it myself.

I like U2Kitten's idea. I don't visit PLEBA a lot because threads progress/move off the page too quickly. Also, I have a dial-up connection, so I can't be online all the time. If things were just broken down a little, it would make things much easier to find.

SweetOnU2 said:

Um, It was just a joke. :| Don't get all worked up! ;)

I think Desire was just worried that would would get all cliquey. Ya know? She knew you were joking a bit, but some others might not have known. :wink:

hi there u2kitten!
wavey.gif
nice to see you around again!

you made some valid points, i like your ideas alot, but what about the ppl with dialup? i don't use dialup anymore, but it sounds like subforums could potentially alienate some pleba girls. that would not be a good thing.

speaking for myself, i don't see a need for separate forums i still think it would splinter pleba and make it more cliquey *yuck! i hate that word*

I think the ideas could work. We are a big communtiy now, and I'm for having PLEBA be what was in the old days and have the subforums for the other topics. (but keep the LEBA and all the clubs together right here, and keep it all together in the same basic community) I don't think we'll split up since we would all have access to all the same things and can visit back and forth. I might even write a story myself! I'm sure most people would post on and read all of them anyway, I know I would, but the threads would not get out of hand and get blown away so fast. I'm for sorting things out by like category, but not cliqueness, as long as it doesn't get confusing. Like Martha said, we can try it and see how it works. If it doesn't run smoothly, we can always go back!

I have dialup, how would that make it harder for we old fashioned modem owners??

Last edited:
GypsyHeartgirl said:
I have dialup, how would that make it harder for we old fashioned modem owners??

i am not sure gypsy, but others have said it's tedious to muddle through too many forums.

my sis has dialup and when i post from her 'puter it is slow and the pages take a LONG time to load, maybe its something along those lines.
can anyone elaborate further plz?

Has anyone else, besides myself, noticed that the first page of threads are ONLY dated today?

PLEBA is the #1 busiest forum for posts, and comes in a close 2nd for the number of threads. It's busy in here.. if you hadn't noticed.

I have some concerns/comments/ideas...
1) while PLEBA has become a community within a community (PLEBA is part of Feedback), some of the ideas for sub-forums being suggested are duplications of forums we ALREADY have on Feedback - I really don't want to go down that route.

2) As far as the concern for dialup users -- in the Usercp (control panel) you can change your options so that you dont see peoples signature, avatars, and/or pics (unless you click on them)... using these options will speed up each page loading by leaps and bounds. I don't understand the argument of how sub-forums will affect dialup users.... if anything, I think it would make it faster for them to find what they are looking for, no?

3) Everyone seems to fear that -this- clique would be broken up if we introduced sub-forums... but I see other uses for sub-forums:

• pics of each band member
  • band fan fiction
  • PLEBA gatherings
  • etc
    [/list=a]

As far as Zootopia... the MAIN problem with that place is that its NOT organized, no one is moderating, and threads just vanish because they arent brought to the top when replied to. It's a web board, not a forum.

Murmurs (the REM site) has a band forum like PLEBA (although the 'scene' isn't like it is here), with sub-forums for each band member... while the design, band, and people are different.. take a look at how ours would kinda work if we were to have sub-forums here: http://murmurs.com/talk/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=54

Elvis said:

2) As far as the concern for dialup users -- in the Usercp (control panel) you can change your options so that you dont see peoples signature, avatars, and/or pics (unless you click on them)... using these options will speed up each page loading by leaps and bounds. I don't understand the argument of how sub-forums will affect dialup users.... if anything, I think it would make it faster for them to find what they are looking for, no?

thanks for clearing that up elvis.

i will check out the rem site.

Elvis said:
I don't understand the argument of how sub-forums will affect dialup users.... if anything, I think it would make it faster for them to find what they are looking for, no?

3) Everyone seems to fear that -this- clique would be broken up if we introduced sub-forums... but I see other uses for sub-forums:

• band fan fiction
  • PLEBA gatherings
  • etc
    [/list=a]

• This does make sense, having a pictures forum(s) would give the people with slower connections the ability to not be bogged down with slow loading pictures to get to the "info." Unfortunately, alot of people here have dailup and want to see the pictures, kind of a no win situation.

Okay Everyone run out and get DSL/Cable/T-1s RIGHT NOW (j/k).

As for "Breaking up the Community" I think it is a possibility, not a definate. I think most of us are just worried that the spirit of PLEBA would be diffused and diluted with the separate forums. Yes we would still have the main PLEBA forum, but I think many of us (myself included) feel that it may not be the same. My intial reaction was "NOOOOOOOO you can't do that!!!!!!!" However, I don't think it would be too bad to have a fan fic section, and an "etc" section to help lighten the load of the board. It would also keep threads from getting buried too quick, there are alot of great threads that get lost.

I understand what you're saying, Elvis. PLEBA is a busy place. But, personally, I still perfer the way it is now. I like how the forum always has new posts and threads when I visit. The PLEBA board moves fast, but I think it keeps it intresting.

"I think most of us are just worried that the spirit of PLEBA would be diffused and diluted with the separate forums." <---Daisy. I agree.

originally posted by Elvis:Has anyone else, besides myself, noticed that the first page of threads are ONLY dated today?

[COLOR=dark blue]Yes! That's what I mean, everything just gets pushed out so quickly here, you're right! But it was never the guy-related posts that caused this. In the days when that was practically all there was, we would use the same page of threads for nearly a week. It's all the extras, particularly the fun and games stuff, that creates so many threads. There has also been a big increase in the artistic stuff and the personal situation threads. Although all these additions are for the most part valued contributions of our community and most members enjoy them, the sheer volume and influx has made this place like a growing city with too much traffic, so maybe we need to build some new roads to handle it all.

I'm still for keeping PLEBA as it was, a place to discuss all the guys and post hot pics, and take the extracurricular parts of our community to the subforums. I honestly believe ALL parts of the forum would benefit from this in the long run. Things would be less confusing, easier to find what we are looking for, and, most of all, the threads would last on the first pages longer, so that we could all get to see them, and those who only visit every few days won't miss anything. We'd also get less duplicate threads, because once something drops off the page and no one sees it, someone else will start one on the same subject. I have seen as many as three threads on the very same story/interview/new pics, etc. because the original was pushed away so fast others who came later in the day never knew and thought it was hot news. I think the subject specific subforums (fun, creative and Dear PLEBA) would condense things better.[/COLOR]

Of course, Elvis is the King, and he can do whatever he wants:)

BTW I am on dialup and even though the pics take awhile to load, it's not that bad. I don't think subforums would be a problem for me, and like Elvis said, the smaller forum might even help.

[COLOR=deep pink]Sparky's Girl- thanks, good to see you too! U2! Well, you know!;) Thanks everyone for listening.:)[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Elvis said:

1) while PLEBA has become a community within a community (PLEBA is part of Feedback), some of the ideas for sub-forums being suggested are duplications of forums we ALREADY have on Feedback - I really don't want to go down that route.

• band fan fiction
  • PLEBA gatherings
  • etc
    [/list=a]

• Very good points, Elvis. I agree, the "artistic" (sorry, couldn't think of a better way to phrase it) forums are fairly slow and don't get a lot of posts (although most of them are active). So, PLEBA having its own version would definitely be pointless.

Here is one suggestion:

Instead of having subforums for each member, how about a PLEBA gatherings subforum and a miscellaneous (fanfics and such as you mentioned) subforum, with the main PLEBA forum concerning all of U2? The miscellaneous forum could also have all the non-U2 guy/girl threads, as well.

Just my 2 cents. :)

elevatedmole said:

Very good points, Elvis. I agree, the "artistic" (sorry, couldn't think of a better way to phrase it) forums are fairly slow and don't get a lot of posts (although most of them are active). So, PLEBA having its own version would definitely be pointless.

Here is one suggestion:

Instead of having subforums for each member, how about a PLEBA gatherings subforum and a miscellaneous (fanfics and such as you mentioned) subforum, with the main PLEBA forum concerning all of U2? The miscellaneous forum could also have all the non-U2 guy/girl threads, as well.

Just my 2 cents. :)

I agree with Elevatedmole. I think a subforum for all the fan fiction and other stuff that I personally do not understand LOL... would be a good idea!! That way in the other forum all the fan fics and inside jokes would be best over there. PLEBA as it is right now is too crowded! I also agree with U2Kitten, threads just die so quickly and it's a shame, cause I never catch some interesting ones ontime, they are usually on page "4" or whatever after being posted like the day before.... For me personally having a sub forum for all the fan fiction would be great! Because, no offense to anyone, but half the of the stuff posted on PLEBA just don't interest me , I don't get it, and don't want to bother with it. I dunno. I like the threads on the guys and the all pic threads... not much of a fan of the fan fic.... so having a sub forum would be a great idea!!

I think we should give it a try, like mentioned earlier if it doesn't work, just change it back! No biggie! :) But whatever you decide Elvis.

:) Just My opinion!

Last edited:
Elvis said:
On this new forum, I am able to add SUB-forums...

Example:

Feedback
- Your Blue Room
-- PLEBA
--- Larry
--- Edge
--- Bono
--- Adam

Somehow the P in all this got lost! Is this a U2 case of Paul is dead?! What about that Elvis, huh?
<jk>:laugh:

Great job on the new Interference, but I like it as one PLEBA under Interference, indivisible and lusting for all.

Having too may sub forums (ie, one for each of the guys) would make this place too much like Zootopia ...

I like the wasy it is now ... it's fun to be able to read all of the threads in one giant forum. Besides, while each of us may have a favorite, we like to drool over the outhe guys every once and a while.

JessicaAnn said:
Having too may sub forums (ie, one for each of the guys) would make this place too much like Zootopia ...

while each of us may have a favorite, we like to drool over the other guys every once and a while.

I agree completely with this

And that includes Paul :wink: :D ;)

Thanks, Elvis, for asking for our input. That was a most considerate thing to do! :)

I had to think about this for a little bit and take everyone else's answers into consideration first. I have to agree that I like PLEBA basically the way it is now. All the recent changes are really cool; it reminds me of the Hole board that I once loved-- only 2nd to Interference, of course! The problem was that when subforums were added there, I found myself getting stuck in the same forum all of the time, instead of getting around to different ones (maybe it's the homebody in me, but I like staying in one place or --one "home"). It just took too long to try to keep up with all of those different forums as opposed to getting all of the "news, gossip, pictures, polls, games, advice, stories and other oddities" in just one place. It feels more like a community or a home the way that PLEBA is now. I'd hate to see that change.

Foadie said:

I think Desire was just worried that would would get all cliquey. Ya know? She knew you were joking a bit, but some others might not have known. :wink:

I don't see how it can get anymore "Clique" :| :eyebrow:

Maybe she thought I was joking... but still people tend to freak out! Just wanted to make sure, that's all. :| :lemon:

I've been away all weekend, but I've just now read everyone's arguments, pro and con. I'm gonna cast my vote, for what it's worth, to NOT split up PLEBA. My reasons:

1. I have a dial-up, and I'd rather NOT have threads/subforums devoted entirely to pictures. I prefer just clicking on a thread and getting whatever pops up. As much as I love the pics, I'd probably avoid threads if I knew they were comprised entirely of pictures.

2. The high thread count of PLEBA is fun for me. It never gets boring and threads don't usually get so long that they take forever for me to load. Besides, I can easily skip threads that don't interest me. (Sorry RSOC!) ;) Just as easily, though, I can check out threads on all the band members whenever I feel the urge. I like having everything on the first one or two pages.

3. I also fear the disintegration of the PLEBA spirit. Indeed, it can get clique-y, but the entire forum has that tendency on occasion. I enjoy knowing what all the girls are doing and being able to "get to know" them regardless of who their favorite band member is. I really think the massive U2 love that PLEBAns extend to each other would lessen if we spent time in separate band member subforums.

I can see the points of view for both sides. Whatever you decide, Elvis, I will accept gladly.

SweetOnU2 said:

I don't see how it can get anymore "Clique" :| :eyebrow:

Maybe she thought I was joking... but still people tend to freak out! Just wanted to make sure, that's all. :| :lemon:

Well, if we are divided into little forums like the "Larry forum" and such, we might get like "Larry girls are so much better that Bono girls" etc. Thats how we can get cliquey. Peace!

Hope I'm doing well speakin for ya Desire! :p (((DESIRE)))

Foadie said:

Well, if we are divided into little forums like the "Larry forum" and such, we might get like "Larry girls are so much better that Bono girls" etc. Thats how we can get cliquey. Peace!

:eyebrow: I don't think PLEBA girls are that childish! ;) I dunno, I do not want to argue, just my opinion. I just don't see it having such an effect. We will never know what will happen if we don't try it! :p PEACE to you too! :)

Foadie, I don't think you would have to worry about any type of "Bono Girls are better than Larry Girls," happening. If that was the case, I think it would have happened already. We all respect each others opinions, and I don't think it would turn catty in that fashion. If someone were to act like that, I would hope that it would be stopped immediately, either by one of the mods or another member. I know I certainly wouldn't put up with any type of "I'm better than you cuz I like Larry and you don't" type attitude. I see what you are saying, with the great number of newbies coming in recently there is bound to be another "Chelsy", but we have to work to be above that mentality, and keep the "PLEBA Spirit" as it's been for a long time.

I think if anything, the biggest clique problem would be from those who would only visit the Larry forum, and not get the chance to meet all the wonderful girls in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom