St Bono The Hypocrite? - Daily Mail 12th August 2006 Pages 34-35

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And how exactly do you know if he is wrong? Are any of us privy to Bono's life? Do we really know the extent of Bono's business affairs? Is the fact they live in Ireland (which has been very good to U2 tax-wise all these years) and are now apparently moving their business base to the Netherlands make them any different to someone like Jagger or McCartney or the ilk who have tax havens in Switzerland, Monaco, the Caymans and so forth? Can we really speculate and and say Bono donates lots of his own money, when he has never confirmed any of the sort? We can only ever go by his statements, which are vague at best, and confusing at worst (one of these days I will finish reading "Bono on Bono" but christ, it's a torturous read! :wink: )

The only thing we can say with any certainty is that Bono is not God. :|

Because I chose to believe the best of people! I'm not denying any of the facts, I'm just choosing not to believe the biased assumptions this reporter came to!! But as I said, that's just MY opinion and every one's entitled to their own opinion, even if I feel their wrong!!! :eyebrow:

BluRmGrl said:
:hmm: Where to start? There are sooo many points on this cactus. :mad:

So Bono has made a lot of money singing in a band & he's used it to buy homes, luxury cars and fine food and drink? Blasphemous!

He's taken some of his spoils from the singing gig and turned it into investments & his band have reportedly announced they are moving some operations to a European nation more lenient in taxation (just like the REST of us would do it we needed to/could afford to)? Blasphemous!

His band owns an airplane, purchased to carry them to and from shows? (Keeping in mind that even if "them" was limited to wives/significant others, children, management and assistants, you could be talking about..... mmm, just a sec.... approximately 17 people BESIDES the band!) Blasphemous!

The guy's found a calling in life that he feels strongly about & has decided to use his celebrity as a way to meet & greet/confer with people in a position to possibly help him further his charitable agenda (read: politicians & assorted capatilists)? Blasphemous!!!
:slant:

:rant:
#1) Don't confuse what the band does as a group with what Bono may or may not do as an individual.

#2) I don't believe it's any of my business or anyone else's what he does with his own person finances. (So what if we found out he'd never given a thin dime of his own fortune to Aid for Africa or whatever? He could give his & the rest of the bands life savings away & it would just be a drop in the bucket - he asks governments to give because that's where the real top of the food chain is.)

#3) I understand giving some background info to fill your story or give people who don't know your subject a more rounded (biased?) view of them, but really - if this story is about a liberal 'saint' who's hobnobbing & conspiring with questionable capitalists, pray tell what the Hell do smarmy comments about the man's apartment in New York have to do with anything??????
"It was charmless and stark".... "There was absolutely no warmth" :confused:

I get it that not everyone is enamored of the man as we are & that many see him as an absolute hypocrite to be so rich & go around asking governments to give away tax money to a country that many would just as well forget even exists, but like another poster said: Bono can't win. Truth is, he's a gigantic celebrity & that makes him a gigantic target for critisism. It comes with the territory & I'm certain he's developed a thick skin against it.

I just like to know what celebrities this reporter thinks are doing a more respectable or honorable job with their fame????? :slant:

Well said BRG. Agree with everything you've said :up:

One week away on holiday and this is what I have to come back to. :angry:

Let's see who the real hypocrites are.
Bono has never portrayed himself as a saint.

On the other hand, I wouldn't say that I am surprised.
The man has become too famous and has done too much good in his life and carreer. No scandals. No wonder the media is desperately looking for something to shed a bad light on him. I don't get all the drama about his business stuff, as if he was the only wealthy person clever enough to invest his money. What does this have to do with his activism?!

blueeyedgirl said:
And how exactly do you know if he is wrong? Are any of us privy to Bono's life? Do we really know the extent of Bono's business affairs? Is the fact they live in Ireland (which has been very good to U2 tax-wise all these years) and are now apparently moving their business base to the Netherlands make them any different to someone like Jagger or McCartney or the ilk who have tax havens in Switzerland, Monaco, the Caymans and so forth? Can we really speculate and and say Bono donates lots of his own money, when he has never confirmed any of the sort? We can only ever go by his statements, which are vague at best, and confusing at worst (one of these days I will finish reading "Bono on Bono" but christ, it's a torturous read! :wink: )

The only thing we can say with any certainty is that Bono is not God. :|

AFAIK they will only avoid paying royalties. Plenty of taxes to get from sold albums and singles in Ireland, and their tours on Irish soil, property taxes on their houses etc

Shock horror, a rich rock star and a large organisation taking care of its finances. Who would have thought?

There was a report, just last year, where members of U2 and Paul McGuiness each donated 1 million EUR for charity in Africa. Just because it doesn't get in the press doesn't mean Bono - or other U2 members, for that matter - don't donate. (Music Rising? Proceeds from One single, Sweetest thing, Night and day...)

Not that it would help - the critics will probably say "no need to brag about donations" or "easy to donate when you're this rich".

Last edited:
last unicorn said:
One week away on holiday and this is what I have to come back to. :angry:

Let's see who the real hypocrites are.
Bono has never portrayed himself as a saint.

On the other hand, I wouldn't say that I am surprised.
The man has become too famous and has done too much good in his life and carreer. No scandals. No wonder the media is desperately looking for something to shed a bad light on him. I don't get all the drama about his business stuff, as if he was the only wealthy person clever enough to invest his money. What does this have to do with his activism?!

:up:

No matter what he does, people will want to throw tomatoes at him because he is in the spotlight.

And true, we really don't know how much money, if any, he donates to charity. But for crying out loud, he works tirelessly to raise awareness about a cause he is passionate about, and he's started a clothing business based on fair trade principles (plus umpteen other things I'm failing to mention) - this, IMO is much better than just throwing money at a problem and feeling good about yourself for doing the least you can do. One of the reasons I admire Bono so much is he's not afraid to talk (and talk, and talk) about and find solutions to incredibly difficult issues. And he'll talk about it with anybody in the world - prince or pauper, conservative or liberal, religious or not, he appears to treat everyone equally and with respect.

Sorry. Hope that made sense - I'm just coming off a migraine right now. :reject:

I don't even need to read this article to respond.

1) The fact that Bono's invested in several business ventures should not surprise or disappoint anyone. Take me - an indepted college grad with zero assets and zero credit - even I pay attention to business and financial matters like equity and investment. It's not being greedy, it's being SMART. Bono's said for years he's into real estate, buying and selling, and we've seen that. Also, his partnership within Elevation is nothing new, they've been around for a while. He's one of six partners and recent articles have explicitly stated Bono was not in attendence at recent meetings, so I don't understand where the "he's going from a rockstar to a businessman" is even coming from.

2) On U2 Ltd moving to Holland - wow, again no surprise there! Any person who would NOT take advantage in a tax break is insane, IMO. It's not like their after a loophole that calles legality or ethics into the question. U2 Limited - remember, this is a CORPORATION, a unique taxable and suable entity, not any one or group of persons - is moving; it's got nothing to do with BONO. And as for the "but Ireland is their tribe" argument, sorry kids there are more U2 fans in the Netherlands than there are in the whole of Ireland.

3) Finally, they're not avoiding taxes, simply less taxes on royalties alone.

I also think it's important to note that Bono likely wouldn't have had the leverage he needed to negotiate with American Express, Gap Inc. and Emporio Armani to create the Red campaign without both the 'rock star cool' factor and the 'legit businessman with connections' factor. I personally believe that the Red campaign (and Edun as well, although that can set of a debate about profits) really has the potential to make a huge difference, but that was something he chose not to touch on in his article.

It's also imporant to remember that the writer is writing an editorial. I took a class that focused on that once and it was all about the power and technique of persuasive language, selective quotes, etc., which he has definitely used to his advantage - look how fired up it can make people!

Anywho, sorry for the ramblings of a lurker......

!I'm running a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society! Learn more and donate at my web page:

*link removed by Bonochick*

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying to be annoying here, but wouldn't it be better to have this thread/discussion in EYKIW? I think many people, that never enter PLEBA, would be interested in this.

Last edited:
I am sure we will see advertising for red products in the magazine, if he is using just another media option to broaden the horizon......well thats a smart man.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I don't even need to read this article to respond.

1) The fact that Bono's invested in several business ventures should not surprise or disappoint anyone. Take me - an indepted college grad with zero assets and zero credit - even I pay attention to business and financial matters like equity and investment. It's not being greedy, it's being SMART. Bono's said for years he's into real estate, buying and selling, and we've seen that. Also, his partnership within Elevation is nothing new, they've been around for a while. He's one of six partners and recent articles have explicitly stated Bono was not in attendence at recent meetings, so I don't understand where the "he's going from a rockstar to a businessman" is even coming from.

2) On U2 Ltd moving to Holland - wow, again no surprise there! Any person who would NOT take advantage in a tax break is insane, IMO. It's not like their after a loophole that calles legality or ethics into the question. U2 Limited - remember, this is a CORPORATION, a unique taxable and suable entity, not any one or group of persons - is moving; it's got nothing to do with BONO. And as for the "but Ireland is their tribe" argument, sorry kids there are more U2 fans in the Netherlands than there are in the whole of Ireland.

3) Finally, they're not avoiding taxes, simply less taxes on royalties alone.

See, the trouble with your arguement is that it's logical and makes sense . . . :wink:

Last edited:
lizmindel said:

!I'm running a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society! Learn more and donate at my web page:

*link removed by Bonochick*

Thanks!

I appreciate what you are doing, but we do not allow members to solicit donations on the forums here.

There is nothing wrong with having money and finding ways to invest it. So what if he's at some party and one of the men there is up on charges. That's got nothing to do with Bono.

Babydoll said:
^^ I agree exactly, YDW - you said it perfectly. :up:

They prolly wrote that because they are used to rich people who care only about themselves and no one else... :|

Thank you BD. :) And good on Bono for doing his own thing, following his ideal and doing what he what he can to help Africa whilst looking after his own interests as well.:up: And of course to the rest of the lads, not forgetting Paul McG (unsung hero).

Of course you all realise that the press will have moved on to some other unfortunate soul tomorrow don't you..oh well, I guess it comes with being famous...:tsk:

It's so easy to shout anti-Bono stuff these days, I don't even listen to it anymore, it's too stupid. :mad:

Obviously it's a biased tabloid article not a serious journalistic effort, and while I can understand people's problems with the Netherlands move, this isn't the article to point to in order to make your argument.

Unfortunatley, people do often take dubious news sources as fact, and this really can't be a good thing for Bono's rep in the eyes of much of the public.

Bonochick said:

I appreciate what you are doing, but we do not allow members to solicit donations on the forums here.

so sorry - i didn't realize...think i will stick to lurking from now on.

Please Standby For Transmission:It would be a great article if Bono's name was taken out and replaced with a list of all the world's polotician's/spiritual leader's who are living like or trying to live like rock star's on OUR TAX DOLLAR's instead of doing the job's they were hired/elected/annoited to take care of.The problem is if they printed all these name's and where they have wasted so much of the taxpayer's money,the paper would be the size of our telephone book's!Peace,the Rockmeister.

lizmindel said:

so sorry - i didn't realize...think i will stick to lurking from now on.

:hug: Awww, liz! It's always nice to see you out of lurking mode. :D

I went and looked at The Daily Mail website - it's nothing but a rag anyway. Yes, unfortunately as Lemonfix pointed out, some people will take it as truth, but hopefully most people will realize it's written more for shock value than truth and take it with a grain of salt. :sigh: At least I hope that's what they'll do.

I'm always amazed that Bono is always critizised for this and that you never read anything like that about Bob Geldof (who makes tens of millions per year with his television production company).

O yeah, and U2 didn't move their whole company to the Netherlands, it's about 1/3 of their company. For the other 2/3 they always have been and always will be paying tax in Ireland (since only royalties have been tax exempt in Ireland up to this year and that's the part they have moved to the Netherlands now).

Just found this article in the NZ Herald today. It's a bit more balanced and less knee-jerk than the Daily Mail one IMHO.

Personally, I'm not changing my opinion of Bono or U2 because of what some poxy journo who obviously has a big chip on his shoulder spouts.

article.jpg

Well it seems as if this is the ONLY subject in which they propose to crucify Bono....sad isn't it?? Everything is relative and on a continum...I was raised so working class it is pathetic...I am now 49 years old, have travelled all over, raised my living standard to upper middle class, donate to various charities, and enjoy my home, car etc....Bono on a larger scale has done the same thing!
So am I dot "deny from others what I demand for myself"???
Just a thought to ponder...Susan

OK OK, so does anyone have a proper thought or opinion on "Sir Bono" et al, about moving their business elsewhere to evade Ireland's higher tax?
I'm a big fan of the boys but for some reason this bothers me. Deny for others what I demand for myself comes in quite handy...
It seems Bono wants debt dropped on him just as he wants for the needy...although he makes quite the hefty buck.
Read the news, read the posting on Interference.com. It's no mistake, a mere opinion, or a falsely "biased" story. U2 have moved their business out of Ireland to avoid paying a higher tax.
Is that NOT hypocrisy? And how so?
These boys are only into keeping these dollars in THEIR pockets. As far as I can see. Please correct me if I'm wrong and if you know where the extra tax dollars saved are going...ok.
Or please tell me that they're keeping a secret piggy bank where all the money that U2 makes off their ridiculously priced Tour wear and what nots, blah blah blah, so it can all go to Africa? Please tell me that 100% of Edun profits go to Africa. Probably not! It's just to keep up with their usual expected profits, $45 mil per member of U2 a year.
This is not guaranteed. Just as this ridiculous story is printed...
None of this is guaranteed.

There are always TWO sides to every story, told or printed.

Bono DOES have that Elevation Partners, look it up on the internet. He DOES have that big apartment. He DOES have Edun. We all know that he DOES live the good life.
I wondered why him and Ali didn't adopt a couple of African or any other unfortunate children? If they knew that they could save that child's life just by adopting it? WHY the fuck not would they do it? SHIT, I would! And I don't make that much money! I don't know if anyone could put a helpless, starving, dying child in my arms and ask me if I could possibly save this child just by adopting it, that I would walk away WITHOUT that child.
Out of fear, I avoid that, because I know very well that I would walk away with that child.
I would see that my shitty little living from paycheck to paycheck life would be so much greater than the life that little innocent baby is living right now, that I would have so much sensitivity to help. Any way I can.
Oh but not "Saint" Bono or "Saint" Ali. He's probably carried a dozen children, judging by his story that a man once gave him his child in hoping that Bono would care for it. No.
As Ali said, "We'd have to think about who their father would be."
Uh...that would be helpful and "good" in regarding for likeablility and social status. DUH.
So NO on adopting poor, starved, deprived, disfigured children.
"Saint" Bono, with the glowing Halo, gave them back. And returned to Ireland, with millions in his bank account and no children.

Bono should have started by saving one life at a time. Take Angelina Jolie for instance, adopting a child and making absolute sure that a child will live to be happy and well taken care of. And you know how much hard work that is, to be a MOTHER to a child? Kudos to Angelina. No kudos to Bono...

It's how I feel about people that go to Pet Stores looking for newborn "well-bred" pups. Making sure that they have their papers and are what they say they are. These newborn pups come out from their well-taken care of mama's and are thrust into loving and capable "human parents".
Well? What about the thousands of dogs that are at the pound abandoned, affection-deprived, starved, often abused? Are they "lesser" of a breed?

Same thing, different species.

Some of this makes me wonder...why is he so into spoiling himself and totally making a shitload of money? And the whole evading tax thing from Ireland? We all fucken know that they can afford paying that tax!
What the eff man?
Don't get me wrong here, I love Bono more than anything else, but man....
I don't agree with evading the tax. I really don't.
I've straight up adored, practically worshipped, this guy for fourteen years, but really, clear the smog off your glasses and see that this is just ANOTHER human being, who has flaws.
He's not perfect, so stop sticking up for him like he's some saint. People disagree with him a lot, I even am admitting that I disagree with him, probably for the first time- but whatever.

He's a person. He's a father. He's a normal husband. He's not some God to be worshipped and followed unconditionally, gawked at, and he's definitely not one to be put up on a pedestal.
Albeit he's a GREAT person, just don't let that "person" part disappear, ok?
He's a person and just like a lot of you...he's great. Stop separating yourself from him.

For the tenth time, they haven't moved 'their business out of Ireland'. One third of their income is now taxed in the Netherlands because they opened an office there. It's just an office, nothing more. One third that they didn't pay taxes over in Ireland anyway. Over the other two thirds they are (and have always been) paying taxes in Ireland. Probably taxed at 42% as well.

And saving one life is all cool and that, but the bigger picture is important as well. And who knows, maybe Ali and Bono have adopted children or a village or whatever. We don't know. It's their business what they do with their money.

And I absolutely agree he is not a saint and that he's not perfect.

Every person has a different, a personal understanding of HELPING, and Bono is no exception. What this guy is doing on a global basis is amazing. Please don't go around accusing him of not being able to live up to other peoples' expectations. He did not demand to be called a "Saint" or whatever in the first place. Bono has always made it very clear that he is a perfectly flawed person, a human being with mistakes, just like the rest of us. It's not his fault if god-like qualities are attributed to him, no human being could live up to that.

Just because some of us want him to fit into a certain concept or match a certain picture that we would like to have of him and he fails to do so in one way or the other, that does not make him a bad person. I think everyone should help in their particular way, if they wish to do so, but not try to apply their personal views and concepts on other people.

And I am getting quite sick of hearing about the tax issue, as if U2 weren't the only one doing smart business. Their charitable causes have nothing to do with the way they take care of their money. A band like U2 means big business, like it or not. And they still are paying enough taxes in Ireland.

preciousstone, EDUN is NOT a charity nor a lobby organization. Their business model is to MAKE MONEY. So you can't use it in your example for hypocrisy because it's not.

Second, U2 have not moved anything. U2 ltd. which is a corporation - a corporation is it's own legal entity, suable and taxable completely apart from who belongs to it - has moved itself to the Nl. Up until this point, U2 have NOT paid taxes on royalties and have worked to negotiate deals with the gov't in Ireland. So no, it's not hypocrisy when you keep on doing what you've always been doing. :huh: I'm assuming U2 Ltd is not a public corporation and therefore, form a business perspective they owe us NOTHING and it really is none of our business what their tax returns look like.

U2 Ltd. has nothing to do with Africa or EDUN or charity or Bono's humanitarian campaign.

Preciousstone, U2 Ltd. is nowhere NEAR "tax evasion". I'm not sure where you got that from. Tax evasion is innacurately declaring taxable income and this is a crime.

Lastly I think it's totally low and dirty for you to call into question everything Bono, U2 Ltd, and Elevation does simply because he and Ali had not adopted children. Have YOU adopted children? Have YOU never found clauses in your tax forms that save you more money?....right. And if you must know, Ali has specifically addressed the issue of adopting children in more than one interview and she has stated that the children they work with usually have no problems finding homes, even despite severe disabilities, and she feels it would be unfair for her to adopt them because they need to be in more consistent, stable environments because of their disabilities.

I can't believe I even had to say that. Sorry, any respect I may have had for you has gone completely down the drain. Wow......

preciousstone said:
OK OK, so does anyone have a proper thought or opinion on "Sir Bono" et al, about moving their business elsewhere to evade Ireland's higher tax?
I'm a big fan of the boys but for some reason this bothers me. Deny for others what I demand for myself comes in quite handy...
It seems Bono wants debt dropped on him just as he wants for the needy...although he makes quite the hefty buck.
Read the news, read the posting on Interference.com. It's no mistake, a mere opinion, or a falsely "biased" story. U2 have moved their business out of Ireland to avoid paying a higher tax.
Is that NOT hypocrisy? And how so?
These boys are only into keeping these dollars in THEIR pockets. As far as I can see. Please correct me if I'm wrong and if you know where the extra tax dollars saved are going...ok.
Or please tell me that they're keeping a secret piggy bank where all the money that U2 makes off their ridiculously priced Tour wear and what nots, blah blah blah, so it can all go to Africa? Please tell me that 100% of Edun profits go to Africa. Probably not! It's just to keep up with their usual expected profits, $45 mil per member of U2 a year.
This is not guaranteed. Just as this ridiculous story is printed...
None of this is guaranteed.

There are always TWO sides to every story, told or printed.

Bono DOES have that Elevation Partners, look it up on the internet. He DOES have that big apartment. He DOES have Edun. We all know that he DOES live the good life.
I wondered why him and Ali didn't adopt a couple of African or any other unfortunate children? If they knew that they could save that child's life just by adopting it? WHY the fuck not would they do it? SHIT, I would! And I don't make that much money! I don't know if anyone could put a helpless, starving, dying child in my arms and ask me if I could possibly save this child just by adopting it, that I would walk away WITHOUT that child.
Out of fear, I avoid that, because I know very well that I would walk away with that child.
I would see that my shitty little living from paycheck to paycheck life would be so much greater than the life that little innocent baby is living right now, that I would have so much sensitivity to help. Any way I can.
Oh but not "Saint" Bono or "Saint" Ali. He's probably carried a dozen children, judging by his story that a man once gave him his child in hoping that Bono would care for it. No.
As Ali said, "We'd have to think about who their father would be."
Uh...that would be helpful and "good" in regarding for likeablility and social status. DUH.
So NO on adopting poor, starved, deprived, disfigured children.
"Saint" Bono, with the glowing Halo, gave them back. And returned to Ireland, with millions in his bank account and no children.

Bono should have started by saving one life at a time. Take Angelina Jolie for instance, adopting a child and making absolute sure that a child will live to be happy and well taken care of. And you know how much hard work that is, to be a MOTHER to a child? Kudos to Angelina. No kudos to Bono...

It's how I feel about people that go to Pet Stores looking for newborn "well-bred" pups. Making sure that they have their papers and are what they say they are. These newborn pups come out from their well-taken care of mama's and are thrust into loving and capable "human parents".
Well? What about the thousands of dogs that are at the pound abandoned, affection-deprived, starved, often abused? Are they "lesser" of a breed?

Same thing, different species.

Some of this makes me wonder...why is he so into spoiling himself and totally making a shitload of money? And the whole evading tax thing from Ireland? We all fucken know that they can afford paying that tax!
What the eff man?
Don't get me wrong here, I love Bono more than anything else, but man....
I don't agree with evading the tax. I really don't.
I've straight up adored, practically worshipped, this guy for fourteen years, but really, clear the smog off your glasses and see that this is just ANOTHER human being, who has flaws.
He's not perfect, so stop sticking up for him like he's some saint. People disagree with him a lot, I even am admitting that I disagree with him, probably for the first time- but whatever.

He's a person. He's a father. He's a normal husband. He's not some God to be worshipped and followed unconditionally, gawked at, and he's definitely not one to be put up on a pedestal.
Albeit he's a GREAT person, just don't let that "person" part disappear, ok?
He's a person and just like a lot of you...he's great. Stop separating yourself from him.

Weirdest post I've ever read on here :huh:.

Dutch Partygirl said:
For the tenth time, they haven't moved 'their business out of Ireland'. One third of their income is now taxed in the Netherlands because they opened an office there. It's just an office, nothing more. One third that they didn't pay taxes over in Ireland anyway. Over the other two thirds they are (and have always been) paying taxes in Ireland. Probably taxed at 42% as well.

And saving one life is all cool and that, but the bigger picture is important as well. And who knows, maybe Ali and Bono have adopted children or a village or whatever. We don't know. It's their business what they do with their money.

And I absolutely agree he is not a saint and that he's not perfect.

What I meant with 'adopting' was actually adopting from a distance, so more sponsoring I guess. Sorry, wasn't very clear. We all know that they haven't got a whole African village in their backyard... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom