sporty U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ isn't there one from last year of him and Ali taking a walk? Bono in jeans and sneakers, Ali in a black skirt right?

U2 Beginner said:

spanish3ijxf8.gif

:lmao:

This was a cool thread... hope it's ok to bring it back.

I was wondering... is Bono a big boxing fan? I've seen so many references with him and boxing but does he actually box as a workout, or is he a casual fan of the sport? Any info would be great.

bonoboxerbaby.jpg

bwbonobox.jpg

Last edited:
Can't find my screencap of Bono with the boxer in the Sweetest Thing video. :(

other random sports stuff....

bonoyellowjersey.jpg

bonocomet said:
I was wondering... is Bono a big boxing fan? I've seen so many references with him and boxing but does he actually box as a workout, or is he a casual fan of the sport? Any info would be great.
There's a section in chapter 12 of U2 at the End of the World that sheds a little insight:

As a reward to Buck [Peter Buck of R.E.M.] for his efforts, Bono insists he come with U2 to the heavyweight boxing championship fight the nextnight between champ Evander Holyfield and younger challenger Riddick Bowe. Buck's never been to a boxing match and figures he'll go along for the ride. U2 is hoping for an experience as exciting as seeing Sugar Ray Leonard five years earlier. They're not going to get it.
At the arena Bono and Buck get into an Alphonse and Gaston argument over who's going to take the better seat. Bono insists that Buck take the up-front seats with Edge and Larry; Bono's still got a good view from a few sections up. Buck says no, no, people want to see U2 walk in together. Bono says, "Look, I'll walk with you guys down to the front, then I'm going back to the other seat—I don't want to be in front." Buck gets a little dose of the treatment U2 gains by being on all those album covers and videos as they walk down among the Hollywood VIP's and everyone says hello. Jack Nicholson looks up and says, "Hi, boys!" "Hi, Jack!" (Nicholson started coming to U2 concerts on the Joshua Tree tour and he and Bono have hung out in Hollywood and in France. Bono is most impressed by Nicholson's remaining in perfect character even in a foreign language. He does a great impression of the actor saying, with his famous inflections, "Pardonay moi, Garson. Havey vous french fries?")
Bono greets his fellow royals and then leaves Edge, Larry, and Buck down front. Buck turns to his left and introduces himself to the man sitting next to him, who turns out to be Sugar Ray Leonard himself. As the fight begins, Leonard offers Buck a running commentary, explaining every strategy and how each point is scored. This, Peter figures, is the way to see your first boxing match.
In the second round the twenty-five-year-old Bowe slams into thirty-year-old Holyfield with a low blow that the champ thinks is illegal. Holyfield turns to catch the ref's attention and Bowe sucker punches him. Holyfield flies into a rage and abandons all strategy, pounding into the younger man with blows that sound like cannons to the musicians. The fight's turned ugly. Buck closes his eyes. Larry feels his temper rise as a famous goon behind him—Sylvester Stallone—howls, "Break his fuckin' nose!" like the school bully's weasel sidekick. Buck hears Bruce Willis baying "Kill him!" and mutters that he'd like to see Willis and Stallone beating each other bloody for the amusement of millionaires. This is nothing like the Leonard fight that seemed so scientific, so graceful. This is two heavyweights trying to blast each other's heads in with blows that would kill whole genres of rock musicians.
They call these seats "the red circle," because if you're rich enough to sit here you get sprayed with blood. "To hear the fist going into the faces," Larry says, "to see the cuts opening over the eyes and the blood pouring into the fighters' eyes, is disturbing."
At the end of the fight there is a new champion: Riddick Bowe in a unanimous decision after what the New York Times calls, "One of history's best heavyweight brawls." Larry, Edge, and Buck are disillusioned with the sweet science and swear off boxing. Bono, who was further back, is crushed when Buck tells him that the seat he gave up was next to Sugar Ray.

Back
Top Bottom