Special Edition Q Magazine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bonoishot said:
Whoever asked why WildHoney got it so early, the answer is we live in the UK. :love:

Woo for the UK :wink:

An interesting read, but not as super as I thought it'd be - meh. The caption under the Bono/Bush pic "Yo, Bongo!" :lol: Made me laugh.

We still have the Feb issue here, I hope the new issue comes soon. I don't buy Q often, because it's so expensive for a magazine, but I will definitly buy that one!
Thank you for the scans. I think U2 should have the whole cover, especially since so many pages are dedicated to the band.

Had a read of it today, great feature on the band with some great pics and mini reviews of all the albums with JT getting the best.

I don't agree with their rating for Pop, only 2 stars :angry:

Nice idea, shame about the songs
U2's 90s restlessness reached it's zenith on Pop. When Bono and Edge purchased Dublin's Kitchen nightclub, they assumed U2 could reflect the sounds of their new toy. It wasn't that simple. In it's dalliance with electro and enlistment of producers Steve Osborne, Howie B and Nellee Hooper, Pop marked the moment when U2 followed (rather than rode and encorporated) fashion. All this could have been fine, but as Bono later ruefully admitted, "the songs weren't good enough".

They've also been known to identify Miami as the "mumbling montrosity" which is fair enough, I suppose :wink:

Wow I sure don't agree with that either. I love Pop. I reach for that one more than any other when I need my mood lifted.

Well, they certainly seemed to like it when it came out:

Pop, Pop, Pop Music

U2's New Album, Track by Track

Q magazine, March 01, 1997

DISCOTHEQUE: The first single, complete with "boom"-enriched outro and accompanying video featuring soon-to-be-legendary appearance of U2 as the Village People. Bono: "When we were recording that, we had the whole studio in mirrorballs and disco lights."

DO YOU FEEL LOVED: Heavy groove-based rocker in the tradition of "Even Better Than the Real Thing." Very likely single. Wry personal reference suspected in the opening lines: "Take these hands they're good for nothing/You know these hands never worked a day."

MOFO: Sonic assault as U2 are possessed by the twin spirits of Underworld and the Prodigy, with Bono at his most cathartic. Breakneck double-tracked drumming quite likely the highlight of Larry Mullen's recorded career.

IF GOD WILL SEND HIS ANGELS: Slow-winding ballad constructed around a title that existed during Zooropa sessions. Bono: "It's this guy beating up his girlfriend about her searching for answers and just telling her to look around. It's like science fiction gospel. Edge is calling it country hip-hop."

STARING AT THE SUN: Infectious, sky-scraping pop song with echoes of Ray Davies and Bowie's "Soul Love." Notable alone for middle eight couplet, "referee won't blow the whistle/God is good but will he listen?" Dead-cert summer number one.

LAST NIGHT ON EARTH: U2 play Oasis at their own game. Steaming rocker with powerful Beatle-y chorus. The last track to be finished, with vocals recorded at 7 a.m. on the day of the album cut. Bono: "It felt like the last night on earth, all right."

GONE: Soaring uplifter oddly reminiscent of the Verve, replete with darkly spiritual lyric. Likely to be emotional highpoint of candlelight vigil if U2's plane ever goes down. Edge: "There's many layers to that song and there's another level to it which I haven't figured yet."

MIAMI: The strangest track of all. Electro experimental before Mullen kicks in with weighty John Bonham-styled groove. Lyrical snapshots of a band trip to Florida in spring '96. Edge: "It's sort of creative tourism."

THE PLAYBOY MANSION: Touching tale of lottery playing average Joe fantasising about gaining entry to Hugh Hefner's private Disneyland, set to '60's flavoured trip-hop. Return to knowingly delivered truisms in verses, including the maybe libellous, "If coke is a mystery/Michael Jackson...History."

IF YOU WEAR THAT VELVET DRESS: Muted and frankly, horny ballad with echoes of Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game." Something for the weekend. Edge: "That was a song that basically came out of improvisation with Nellee Hooper."

PLEASE: Shuffly meandering and moody bid-pacer. Edge: "One of the most intricate pieces of music we've ever written."

WAKE UP DEAD MAN: Spaghetti-western atmosphere bristling with distant radio voices. A distorted Bono voices his frustration to Jesus "I'm alone in this world/And a f*cked up world it is too."

Bah, reviews. No time for 'em. :wink:

I went to the newsagent yesterday in the hopes of picking up the January issue (I think? The one with the Hawaii write-up and lost songs)... I saw it there a week ago but it was gone. All they had left was the December issue... :(
*shakes fist at Clayton Newsagent*

Alisaura said:
Bah, reviews. No time for 'em. :wink:

I went to the newsagent yesterday in the hopes of picking up the January issue (I think? The one with the Hawaii write-up and lost songs)... I saw it there a week ago but it was gone. All they had left was the December issue... :(
*shakes fist at Clayton Newsagent*

The one with the Hawaii review is the February issue. You should still be able to find that one. I subscribe, and I only received it last week (in Canada).

Ah, right, February... thanks :D
Yeah, I had seen it in a few places last week, but of course at the time I wasn't sure if it was worth picking up... as soon as I decide I want it, it disappears! I'll keep looking though. :)

Adams_Girl said:
Does anybody know how I can get hold of the magazine here in germany?
I live in Vienna and we always get Q some days after its release in the UK, so I am sure it will be available in Germany as well. Look in bigger bookstores or international news agencies in railway stations or airports, they carry all the magazines.

YAY! Went into my newagents today to ask if the new Q, that I'd pre-ordered from them, had come yet and they said that they had received a call from their head office informing them that the magazine in question will arrive at the shop on 16.2.!! :hyper: *Goes to mark date on Bono calender with big shocking pink cross* :wink:

:dancing:

Got the February Q--checking back couple weeks at Borders for March (I'm surprised they don't recognize me as much as I'm in there :giggle: )

:uhoh: I knew there was something I had to do when I stood outside the post office today... and now I remember...

I'll check tomorrow I guess :D

I live in Michigan, and my Barnes & Noble just got in February. I got it on Saturday. My experience usually is that they get Q in the first weekend of the month...for that month. So, I'll probably find March's issue on March 3rd.

When I went to Borders, I didn't see it, so asked about it. The gal led me to "O." You can imagine the look on my face! :confused: Well, only a few letters off, but not the same, surely!

lmao..well i went to the borders yesterday..they dont have it..so i gotta call them..so since its 40+ miles out of my way i decided to go shopping and instead of $10 spent about $100 lmao..got the new (RED) necklace and braclet tho..:drool: :drool:

I got the magazine finally yesterday. Always takes a while until it arrives here. But it's a great read with great photos. Nothing really new and spectacular, though, many things quoted out of U2 by U2, but there are some really funny things in there like Brian Eno saying about Bono's driving that only a person who believes in an afterlife would drive like that, never an atheist! Lol! And the picture of Bono and the little African boy from the Ethiopia trip with Ali gets me everytime. It's so sweet and says so much about Bono. Really some great stuff there.

Argh, no fare! :madspit: I went to my newagents yesterday and the Q magazine still hadn't come!! :banghead: Although it's not their fault, it seems that for some reason the main office in Helsinki is having trouble getting hold of copies of the March edition. :shrug: So I just have to start pestering them by going there EVERY day until I me copy!! :grumpy:
They've have yet to experience the true determination of an avid U2 fan!! :rant:

:wink:

Yay finally, I got my copy of the March 2007 Q magazine!:hyper: And I got the decided feeling that the sales people at my newsagents were glad to finally see the back of me, until the next time!! :evil: I'll scan and post the article, especially for those of you who aren't members of Bonoonline, as soon as I've stopped drooling over Bo... I mean, had my tea!!! :shifty: :sexywink:

But here's an appetizer while you wait....

Q_March_2007.jpg

:drool: :combust: :faint: .... I'll be back with the rest soon, so watch this space!!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom