Speaking to the World Affairs Council of Philadelphia...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Merc

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Irish rocker and human rights activist Bono addresses the World Affairs Council of Philadelphia on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, October 21, 2005. The council on Friday honored Bono with the International Statesman award. Previous award winners include Mikhail Gorbachev, Yitzak Rabin and King Hussein of Jordan. REUTERS/Tim Shaffer Email Photo Print Photo

Haven't seen these pics around pleba, so... :D

r3998232795.jpg

r3430656997.jpg

r2500696501.jpg

r1013864012.jpg

Whats up with the tie, btw? :giggle: Looks like he could use a little help with that! :sexywink:

bonophilly200512.jpg

bonophilly200513.jpg

bonophilly200514.jpg
\

I'm expecting some detailed reporting from our on-site PLEBA reporters who were at the event last night:D

nurse chrissi said:
I'm expecting some detailed reporting from our on-site PLEBA reporters who were at the event last night:D

:ohmy: Sounds good! :wink:

Thanks for posting Chrissi! :D:up:

...some of these pics would be good for captions, wouldn't they? :shifty: :giggle:

Merc said:

...some of these pics would be good for captions, wouldn't they? :shifty: :giggle:

the tie alone :giggle:

news article

Bono mixes irony with honor at Penn

By Frederick Cusick

Inquirer Staff Writer

Irish rocker Bono drew laughter from an audience at the University of Pennsylvania last night as he tried to diplomatically describe a discussion he had Wednesday with President Bush about aid to Africa.

Bono, an advocate for African aid for more than two decades, broke up the audience of World Affairs Council members in the cavernous Irvine Auditorium as he appeared to struggle to find a nonjudgmental way of saying he had been surprised Bush knew so much about the negative effects of American trade on Africa.

Bono backed away from using the word surprised, and also backed away from saying he was "delighted" by the level of the President's knowledge.

Finally he said he thought Bush was much better briefed about the trade problem than he was.

Trade policies, which prevent African farmers from selling their products on the world markets, are part of the developed world's "corruption" that has fed poverty and disease in Africa, Bono said.

Several hundred World Affairs Council members applauded the U2 front man, whose real name is Paul Hewson, and then went to Penn's museum for a reception and dinner.

They also awarded Bono, who wore his trademark shades and a dark jacket with even darker shirt and contrasting light-colored tie, the organization's International Statesman Award.

Bono noted that a combination of ACTUP, the gay advocacy group, and U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum (R., Pa.), who has been attacked for making allegedly anti-gay remarks, had helped get additional AIDS funding for Africa.

"If they can work together on this," Bono said, "so can we all."

Speaking of the AIDS problem in Africa, Bono pointed to the moral burden it imposed on residents of the developed world. "It would be so much easier if it was unsolvable, but it's not," he said. "It's immensely doable."

I was there with my sister, attended the lecture and reception ... we waited outside for Bono we got to speak to him and he signed our programs, I gave him a button I've had since John Lennon died "I Miss John Lennon", he thanked me ... I didn't take any pictures this time, he was so close when we spoke I didn't want to flash in his face, it was a great night, he's the best!!

By the way he looked very sharp, my sister turned into Joan Rivers for a second, What are you wearing? You look very sharp tonight, Prada? He said I'm not sure, he opened his jacket to check ... He said I think it is Prada! It was ... that was very funny!

Adore Bono and could never utter or think a bad thing about the man and his talent & passions....

but I think Bono now has one up on Larry in the race to the barber.... the hair OY... and while their sylist is usually dead on in the wardrobe selection, she must have been off last night cos the I still hear the sirens of the fashion police looking for Bono

but I still love him

Awww Bono, I'm a girl and I can tie a tie better than that...:wink:

Now where was I to help him??:lol:

"THE LOOK"

:wink:
I work with some of the most expensive mens fashions everyday.Although you may not like it,Bono was sporting a very contemporary look last night.Never a dissappointment,always the entertainer!He pulled it off as usual!Bono would not be Bono if he didnt have you talking the next day!Love it!

... I did take one photo earlier, this was prior to the reception, he was speaking to the press, he was bundled up in a blue scarf and his leather jacket over his suit jacket ... it was very crowded, not the best photo
IMG_0123.jpg
[/IMG]

"THe Look"

I think it was a Paul Smith tie!Very cool and a loose fat knot was the way to go!Top button left open.If he styled that himself...Bravo!!!

They asked everyone to please not take pictures during the lecture - I think everyone was respectful of that - and no camera phones. I would be surprised if anyone had any video.

seajewel said:
They asked everyone to please not take pictures during the lecture - I think everyone was respectful of that - and no camera phones. I would be surprised if anyone had any video.

Strict rules set out before Bono came on - He will sign no autographs, if you ask a question stay on topic (no questions about music), no cameras, or camera phones -- :|

So, probably I will look dumb, but I'm desperate not to repeat this again.

I'm in the Philly area and would have gone to UPenn Friday - but I had NO CLUE Bono was gonna be there. I read major newspapers, check u2.com, read the band and tour section of interference.com.....what did I miss? How do I keep up with them in the future so I lose an opportunity like this again? Shouldn't PLEBA have a tacked up Stalking thread with updates on where they're gonna be outside of their actual concert dates?

Sorry for the rant, just feeling incredibly and irrectifiably stupid.

Varitek said:
So, probably I will look dumb, but I'm desperate not to repeat this again.

I'm in the Philly area and would have gone to UPenn Friday - but I had NO CLUE Bono was gonna be there. I read major newspapers, check u2.com, read the band and tour section of interference.com.....what did I miss? How do I keep up with them in the future so I lose an opportunity like this again? Shouldn't PLEBA have a tacked up Stalking thread with updates on where they're gonna be outside of their actual concert dates?

Sorry for the rant, just feeling incredibly and irrectifiably stupid.

This has been publicized on here for quite some time. Things probably quieted down closer to the actual date because tickets were sold out. Anytime anyone knows about someone from the band making an appearance somewhere, it's posted, usually in the news section on the main page.

And if you think PLEBA is for "stalking," you have a lot to learn. Kelly, I think it's time you break out the evil puppy!

Back
Top Bottom