Sorry Sicy, U2Kitten, etc....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, LivLov your new cat is adorable! :cute: I am surprised some cats will lick and purr a lot. :cute: Sadly, to be honest I never had a pet cat but they seem fun. Is that true some cats beg more than dogs? Because my pup sure beggs a lot. lol. ;)

Cats begging more than dogs? I've never heard that. I guess if they want something, they make themselves much more noticable then a dog. Mine will put themselves right by my plate if they want something off of it.

Cute Irish Bono said:
Is that true some cats beg more than dogs? Because my pup sure beggs a lot. lol. ;)

Depends on the cat. One of my cats, Trouble, has huge eyes and dexterious paws, and if you are eating anything with dairy, he will tap you on the leg and give you his Oliver Twist "Please sir, can I have some more?" stare. :D But the other cats don't beg.

I love the name Trouble! Perfect for a cat! One of mine (Jack) begs that way, by tapping me. He also gets in on the "just get in the middle of everything" action.

Like that old joke goes, "you lookin' for trouble?" "yeah! which way did he go?!" :huh: :eeklaugh: :der:

Me and Beckham (taken by me)
kittyandlies.JPG

He's not too happy about everyone leaving for work
kittyandlies2.JPG

"Stop looking at me while I try to sleep"
kittyclaws.JPG

oooo, thanks for reminding me that he's locked in the hallway (he always attacks me while I'm doing my sit-ups!).

*let's kitty back in*

my fiance really really wants a cat and she was trying to fake cry so that i would go out and get her one. i would in a heart beat if we could but we arent aloud to have pets in our apartment. i dont want to seet he look on her face if we have to give it away.

do you guys have a name for the cat yet?

we were thinking "the edge"

RickFly said:
my fiance really really wants a cat and she was trying to fake cry so that i would go out and get her one. i would in a heart beat if we could but we arent aloud to have pets in our apartment. i dont want to seet he look on her face if we have to give it away.

:mad: :sad:

Again, this always upsets me. There are so many dogs and cats dying every day in pounds because no one came to give them a home in time. I have seen so many of you, and have known so many people all through my life, say they want a pet but their landlord won't allow them. That sucks so bad, because wherever there is a person who wants to give an animal a home, the person should be able to take it there. I hope one day the laws against pets in rentals will be abolished, just as the no children laws were! Rick I hope you can move somewhere they are allowed one day, and your future wife can give a kitty a home:)

To anyone that is in a place with no pets allowed you could always ask your landlord to amend your lease, maybe offer make a pet security deposit, so you could get a cat. It's doubtful any of the other tennats in your place would even know you had a pet if you got a cat because you don't need to take them outside.

My brother owns an apartment building. He started out with a zero pet policy but then as time went on he realized that he couldnt' turn people away with pets when he had vacancies he needed to fill. So he ok'd cats and right now he has someone living there with 2 huge dogs. He just gave up on saying no because he realized that he needed to make sure his building is 100% filled all the time and it was too hard to find people to rent from him that didnt' have pets. I think the little kids he's had in the building have made more noise than the dogs. :huh:

Last edited:
Good for your brother :applaud: That's good to hear!

I don't know what the problem is, cats and small dogs are less problems than humans, and like you said less noisy than kids. Even large dogs should be allowed if the person will be responsible if there is any damage. There should be a law making pets welcome everywhere! Or it could be like this building, if people refuse to move in without their pets, and landlords are getting rejected for not allowing pets, they will eventually have to allow some to get more business. I also hope everyone will stick up for their pets and not move into a place that does not allow pets. I really hate to hear about people getting rid of their pets because they 'moved and couldn't take them.' To me a pet is a family member. Would you move to a place you couldn't take them? I knew a lady once who got her beautiful red Siberian Huskie with blue eyes put down because she changed apartments and he wasn't welcome and she felt he couldn't adjust to a new owner :mad: :rant: :censored: :(

New kitty pics :cute: I love the one where he's on his back! They say when a cat relaxes and sleeps belly up on you, he loves you and trusts you completely :love:

I think a lot of landlords have had bad experiences in the past and that's why they have the rule. My boyfriend lives in a really nice house with a "no pet" rule. They called to ask about getting a kitten and the landlord said no simply b/c the people living there before had dirty cats that were allowed outside and caused trouble in the house b/c they were not properly cared for as well as trouble outside. The landlords said my boyfriend is welcome to get a puppy of any kind b/c they're dog people. They just had a really bad experience with cats and find it's easier to just say no, which I think sucks, but is understandable. They put a LOT of work into the house and I don't believe it's the best place for a cat anyway (no screens in the windows).

I think most apartments should at least allow cats since they don't ever go outside and don't make noise unless they're being tortured.

I would try what Amanda said and see if you can work out a written agreement with the landlord. If the lease says "no pets", even if the landlord doesn't care, it's not a good idea to allow pets without changing the agreement and having both parties sign.

I will never understand how any landlord could ok dogs and not cats :tsk: Dogs are disgustingly filthy and tear up the place when you're not home, because they are strong people animals and dont like being left alone.

I lived in my apartment for 2 years before my landlord all of a sudden changed the lease to allow small pets. I was so excited, I will never forget. It was so hard to live without a pet as I have had cats my whole life growing up. I had to pay a $500 deposit but it is refundable and worth it, I love my babies. I would never give them up for anything in the world. I would live in a cardboard box with them before giving them away.

Sicy said:
I will never understand how any landlord could ok dogs and not cats :tsk: Dogs are disgustingly filthy and tear up the place when you're not home, because they are strong people animals and dont like being left alone.

I'm a cat person, but I do believe that feral/neglected cats are equally filthy and troublesome as dogs and carry WAY more diseases (IMO, the one downside of cats in the cats v. dogs debate). Knowing the state of the house before the landlords remodeled and (unfortunately) knowing a lot about the nieghborhood it's in, I can sympathize.

Now that I've got my kitty, I'm looking forward to raising my ideal puppy :D

Last edited:
Feral/neglected cats wouldnt be in any apartment or house ... trust me lol.. they are scared of people.

And oddly enough, the ferals around my house look like showcats.

prego110.jpg

:heart:

Ok I admit, she looks like this because I worked with an organization to trap her and some other ferals, get them spayed and released and feed them regular meals. Isnt she pretty?

Unfortunately landlords can decide pretty much whatever they want, since its their rules.

Sicy said:
Dogs are disgustingly filthy and tear up the place when you're not home, because they are strong people animals and dont like being left alone.

That's not entirely true. Dogs can be dirty if you let them spend a lot of time outside and don't give them a bath but I wouldn't say all dogs are filthy. Dogs also do not tear up the place because they don't like to be left alone. The only time I've ever seen that behavior is when we got a dog as a puppy and left him alone the first few times he tried to dig in the plants but otherwise I've never seen a dog make a mess of the house. I've always had dogs in my family and they're easily trainable. One of my cousin's dogs knows he can't go on the couch unless there's a blanket on it (they don't want his white fur on their dark couch). He'll let you know when it's not there and when he wants to sit on there by crying or barking but he won't jump up there no matter how much he wants to get up there until he see's the blanket because he's been trained not to jump up there.

Cats can do just as much damage to your stuff as a dog could. I just gave an old printer to one of my friends because her cat jumped up onto her computer table and knocked her printer of the computer desk and the printer broke. She has 2 cats and one of them is constantly getting into things while the other never gets into any trouble at all. I think it depends on the animal and their personality.

Sicy said:
Feral/neglected cats wouldnt be in any apartment or house ... trust me lol.. they are scared of people.

You'd think...but I'm not talking about a well kept apartment complex, I'm talking about the heart of the ghetto, slums. It was the same where I grew up; cats lived up in our eaves, in our garage...they sneak into any open space and then breed like mad. They continuously used our sandbox as a communal litter box until my dad finally gave up and filled it in. Our from porch was their favorite spot to mark territory so everything was scratched up and smelled like cat piss (which, like guinea pig urine, is exceptionally gross b/c of the ammonia). We never fed them b/c that would've made us legally responsible for them and since we have a leash law, we would've had to somehow trap them all, but they came and went despite our boxes of mothballs and attempts to seal any way in or out.

arw9797 said:

The only time I've ever seen that behavior is when we got a dog as a puppy and left him alone the first few times he tried to dig in the plants but otherwise I've never seen a dog make a mess of the house. I've always had dogs in my family and they're easily trainable. One of my cousin's dogs knows he can't go on the couch unless there's a blanket on it (they don't want his white fur on their dark couch).

Yeah, the problem is that people get puppies and don't realize that it's basically like having a human baby to care for. There's a younger lady that works here on campus and she got a golden retriever puppy. She brings it here to work all day everyday so that it can be house-trained and people-trained.

I wish I could train Beckham where he's allowed. I have to lock him in the hallway all night b/c he wakes me up all night long my playing with my hair and my PJs. I was getting used to this, but he also likes to sit in my window which is above my head. Once night I woke up with my face bleeding b/c when he jumps down, he lands on my face and his back claws dig in. I know he doesn't do it on purpose, but I don't want a case of Cat Scratch (infections/bacteria in a cut transfered off the cats claw when they scratch you and you bleed) on my face. Beckham knows where he's not allowed, but goes anyway! He's not allowed in the laundry room b/c there's way too many places for him to hide. If he sees the door left open, he slinks in there (yes, slinks with his belly dragging on the ground) and when I give him and evil glance, he puffs up, stands high on his toes, and darts back into my room. Naughty cute adorable kitty!

Sicy said:

And oddly enough, the ferals around my house look like showcats.

prego110.jpg

:heart:

Ok I admit, she looks like this because I worked with an organization to trap her and some other ferals, get them spayed and released and feed them regular meals. Isnt she pretty?

She's beautiful :love:

There is an organization in my area that cares for feral colonies, and is very active in TNR. Right now, I am proud to be wearing a t-shirt with their logo on it :wink:

They were recently handing out literature trying to dispell the old myths about ferals. Here are some of the statements from their pamphlet:

Myth: Feral cats are diseased and can make pets and children sick.

Reality: Feral cats are generally healthy. The incidence of disease is no higher than among owned cats. Feral cats shun human contact, especially with unfamiliar people. Tehy aren't interested in interacting with you or your children.

Myth: Feral cats are predators who deplete wildlife.

Reality:Studies show that the overwhelming cause of wildlife depletion is the destruction of natural habitat due to man made structures, chemical pollution, pesticides, and drought- not feral cats!

Myth: Feral cats should be taken to the local animal shelter so they can be adopted.

Reality: Feral cats are not pet cats and will be killed at most shelters. Because they are so often considered 'dangerous' they usually don't make it to the shelter, but are gassed inside the animal control truck! Ferals are generally considered 'un-adoptable' and even no kill shelters cannot place them in homes.

Myth: Feral cats lead short, miserable lives. It is best to trap and euthanize them.

Reality: Ferals usually live the same span of life as most pet cats, and they contract disease at about the same rate.

Myth: Cats cannot live without a home.

Reality: Feral cats HAVE a home- the outdoors! They learn to survive like wildlife. Kittens found before age 10 weeks can be tamed, but there is almost no chance of socializing a cat that has grown up wild.

My favorite quote:

"Every life is precious, even if it's not rare" - Julie Levy, associate professor of small animal research, University of Florida

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I know he doesn't do it on purpose, but I don't want a case of Cat Scratch (infections/bacteria in a cut transfered off the cats claw when they scratch you and you bleed) on my face.

I'm serious- don't worry so much about that. I have been scratched HUNDREDS of times in my life, and I have never, ever had that. You can keep a squirt bottle of hand sanitizer around just in case and clean the scratch immediately with it. I've honestly never had any problem with cat scratches.

Back
Top Bottom