sorry, but I have to vent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kellyahern

Blue Crack Supplier
8 years and I still can't think of anything witty
not a great afternoon -
right before I left for my doctor's appointment today, I got a call from one the seniors' granddaughter (I work at a senior citizen rec center. This senior had a stroke a few months ago, but she could still talk and move okay, she just wasn't the same and a little confused. Before that she was really with it and she was over 90). We used to pick her up with the senior van when she lived at her apartment, and after the stroke her family brought her when she was feeling up to it. I haven't seen her since June, because she was having back pain and didn't feel up to coming to the center.

Anyway, her granddaughter called to say that she was in Hospice and would probably live for only a day more or so. She has stomach cancer, which they didn't catch until last week :( That was why her back was hurting. I had no idea she was that ill and none of the other seniors did either.

I'm not "crying upset" because I guess I should be used to this by now, but it's still upsetting. The more I think about it, the more down I get. I know I'm not supposed to have "favorites" but she's one of them. She was just such a cool, nice, funny lady - especially before the stroke. Everyone really liked her. I know the rest of the seniors are going to be upset tomorrow too.

That is really tough. I'm close to my 90-year-old Gramma and so many of her friends have become like grandparents to me. Sadly, some of them are gone now and it is always tough but it is a part of life and I think that when you get older (especially into your 80s and 90s), it's something you get more used to, not in a jaded way but in a fact-of-life kind of way.

It's fine for you to miss this woman, to think about all the great things you liked so much about her. Try not to be too hard on yourself about things you did or did not do, that you're thinking about this woman and cared about this woman, and everyone else who comes to your center, is such a fabulous thing. You really are doing so much for these seniors and their families, and I know you must be getting so much in return as well.

:hug: I'm sorry to hear that.

I think it's perfectly ok for you to have your favorites and to be upset when you lose one that you like so much. :(

That sucks big time. I can't handle to see older people suffering. When you see them in pain is when you realize life just isn't fair, you work and do all types of stuff to be a good person, raise your kids, live a decent and honest life and then you get old and so weak you need other people to help you with too many things. Not fair at all. All my love to this old lady and to you kelly! :hug: :hug:

Last edited:
Ditto what dsmith said. It's great that you work with these people-I'm sure they appreciate your time and care toward them greatly.

So sorry to hear the news about this lady-what a shame :(. She sounds like she was quite a neat woman. My condolances to you and to her family and friends as well :hug:.

I'm sorry Kelly :hug: it sounds like you have a very nice relationship with her, and I'm sure she appreciates all the time and care you've spent with her. It's natural to be upset, and favorites naturally happen as some people are just drawn to each other. Wishing you much peace during all this. :hug:

I'm so sorry Kelly :sad: :hug:

My youthful, active Grandmother was 81 when she first started complaining of her back. She tried everything, even vibrating pillows, but it never helped. 3 years later, it was discovered she had advanced cancer that had started in her kidneys and traveled :sad: She was gone in a year:(

I also knew a man in his 50's who kept complaining of his stomach and the doctors only told him to take tavist d. By the time they found the cancer it was too late, and he lasted only 3 months. He died just before his daughter's wedding :(

Maybe doctors should start assuming the worst first and working backwards instead of the other way around.

Thanks Kelly :hug: I'm sorry to hear she's gone :(

She's in a better place now and not hurting anymore. She was lucky to have you for a friend.

Back
Top Bottom