Someone Else's Dream - Chapter 26

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad_Girl

Blue Crack Supplier
U2, unfortunately, are not mine. They are real people who I have written about here in a fictional situation that never happened. I don’t have their permission to use their likenesses, but I make no money from the story and it really is just all meant in good fun. Remember, please, that this is just a twisting, turning story out of my imagination which should not reflect upon the band or the individuals within it. It’s only make-believe. There will be some adult themes within this story, and almost undoubtedly a lot of offensive language. Read at your own discretion.

Catalina Chronicles Book 4:

Someone else’s dream

Chapter Twenty- Six
I see skies of blue, and clouds of white
the bright blessed day, dark sacred night
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

the colours of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of the people passing by
I see friends shaking hands, saying, "how do you do?"
But they're really saying, "I love you"

I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
they’ll learn much more, than I'll ever know
and I think to myself, what a wonderful world
I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Oh yeah

from ‘What a wonderful world’ as performed by Louis Armstrong

“It wasn’t worth it!” Trine yowled as Cat and Adam tried to help her into the car. She bent her knees as if she might sit down and clutched her stomach rocking forward and let out a whimper that sounded like the mew of a newborn kitten.

Adam flashed Cat a concerned look, and it was the panic in his eyes that concerned her most. She had had a difficult time with her labor, but at least there had been plenty of doctors and nurses around.

“Tree?” Lawry ventured, obviously concerned about his half sister.

“I’m all right twerp!” She mumbled weakly. Adam handed Lawry to Cat and knelt beside Trine, rubbing her lower back in a firm circular motion. His blue eyes were dark with worry as he studied Trine’s sweat covered face, pink with the exertion of trying to walk to the car while in labor. He reminded her to take deep even breaths, and even breathed with her as labor coaches do on TV shows. Cat was amazed that Trine went along with him, and knew they were further along in the process than she had suspected.

“I’m going to buckle Lawry into his seat and come back to help you into the car as soon as this contraction subsides,” she assured Trine. No sooner did she have Lawry in his seat than the door to the garage flew open and slammed against the wall, nearly ricocheting back to hit Bono in the face.

“Aww, crap!” Trine groaned, pinching her eyes shut at the sight of him. “I have a coach, I don’t need a cheerleader, too!” she complained. No one seemed to notice.

“Are you ok?” Bono asked, kneeling on the side opposite Adam. Trine peered at him from beneath sweat dampened locks of hair and scowled.

“Stupid question,” he admitted, smiling crookedly.

“How the hell did you get here so fast?” Cat asked as she finished buckling the complex system of clasps on Lawry’s car seat.

“He drove,” Laney explained as she entered through the door Bono had left open behind himself. She was practically glowing, pregnancy making her absolutely radiant. She was only five months along but she was already showing off a sizable belly. She had hardly gained weight in her face or hips, and Trine had teased her that the baby’s head must be growing as big as his fathers, for her to be showing so much so soon.

“Good God, woman, what were you thinking?” Cat teased, relieved to see a smile threaten Adam’s gorgeous mouth. The tension was easing a bit.

“Nothing I could do about it, he’s bull headed – as if you didn’t know,” Laney replied playfully. She stood behind Bono and watched as he and Adam helped Trine back into a standing position. She studied Trine as best she could from a distance, her medical training helping her to keep the emotional distance that Bono could not manage.

“Uhh nasty! Oh, that is just wrong!” Trine exclaimed, looking down at her legs which were now wet, amniotic fluid running down them and pooling at her feet on the garage floor. Adam turned three shades of grey and Bono took a step back, his hands tucked up into the sleeves of his jacket and his arms raised up in front of his chest in a defensive position.

“Water broke,” Laney called over to Cat, who was opening the garage door so they could make their exit. Bono’s Maserati blocked the way.

“All of this space and you park in front of the garage door?” Cat exclaimed in shock and disbelief.

“C’mon, I can get us there faster anyway,” Bono announced, one of his thick hands resting at the small of Trine’s back as he guided her out toward his car. Laney followed as quickly as she could manage, grabbing a blanket from the back of Adam and Cat’s car and tossing it to Adam who laid it out on the seat of the Maserati to protect the seat.

“Bono I don’t think….” Cat tried to object but everything was happening at hyper-speed.

“Something doesn’t feel right!” Trine cried, letting out another yowl of pain and fear.

“Is it all right with you if I check you to see how much you’re dilated?” Laney asked, pushing Bono aside and dropping to one knee on the cement beside the open passenger door. Trine’s only reply was to turn in her seat and hike her dress up to her hips, one leg propped up against the door. Adam spun away quickly and wondered if modesty or lack thereof was possibly a genetic trait.

“Oh boy,” Laney murmured. “How long have you been having contractions?” She asked, her eyes full of genuine worry now.

“I don’t know!” Trine replied with a groan, ‘But I’m having one now. I feel like I gotta push!”

“Don’t push!” Every other adult exclaimed.

“I’m ringing the ambulance!” Adam declared, rushing into the house.

“Good idea, tell them they’ll be transporting two! Mother and baby!” Laney called after him, pushing herself up onto her feet with some difficulty. “Bono, I’m going to talk you through this love.”

“Bono?!?” Trine cried out, the dismay in her voice clear.

“I can’t do it, hon – I’m too pregnant to maneuver in this tight space and you are not about to stand up or the babe will just pop out an ‘is own!” Laney explained. “Cat, I need towels!”

“I’m on it,” Cat replied, rushing into the house and leaving a confused Lawry still buckled in the car. Bono knelt nervously in front of Trine and looked up at Laney for help.

“You can see the top of the baby’s head crowning, there,” Laney said, gesturing to Trine. “On the next contraction, Trine is going to bear down and give a push and the babe’s head will be out. Then you’ll stop pushing when I say so, you got that Trine?”

“Stop? Why?”

“No time to explain, dear, just do it, all right?”

“All riiiiiight!” Trine answered, groaning as the next contraction started already. Cat rushed back out and handed a towel to Bono to drape over his arm. As Trine gripped whatever she could get her hands on and bore down to push, it was hard to tell who was yelling louder, Trine or Bono.

“Aughhhhhhh!”

“Mommeeeee!” Lawry cried from the car, worried about his friends and family screaming while he was restrained in the car and could not tell what was going on. Cat went to retrieve the screaming child.

“Ok, clear the baby’s mouth and nose,” Laney instructed. “Good, good, you’re doing fine, both of you,” she encouraged from her position behind the door, watching over the rolled down window.

“Can I push yet?!?” Trine demanded.

“Yes, now,” Laney replied. “One shoulder, that’s it, now the other…”

“Mother fucker!” Trine screamed, “God damn it!”

“Ok, that’s enough of that!” Laney scolded, and Trine flashed the evil eye at her.

“I doubt you’ll be singing a different tune in a few months,” she sighed as she allowed herself to drop back against the seat in exhaustion, the baby completely delivered. Bono wrapped the infant in the towels Cat had brought and cradled it close to his body as it, too howled its complaints about the whole situation.

“I know, it’s awful I’nn’t?” Bono declared, smiling brightly at the newborn with tears running down his face. “But it can be a wonderful place, too.” He sighed. Cat knelt beside him and cut the cord as Laney instructed, Lawry clinging to Aunt Laney’s leg and trying to peek around the door to see what was happening.

Bono stood and gave Laney a closer look at their new son as Cat prepared to deliver the placenta. Laney wiped the baby’s skin clean with a towel, her eyes welling with tears as the infant’s screams subsided and he opened his eyes to look up at the people who would be his parents.

The ambulance pulled in with it’s lights flashing and Lawry lost interest in Trine and all of the commotion around the car, tottering over to examine the new vehicle on his short little legs. Adam had finally returned and he hurried to catch his son before he reached the still running vehicle.

“I thought maybe you’d passed out,” Trine said to him as he approached the car cautiously. His cheeks flushed red and he chuckled nervously.

“Are you all right?” He asked tenderly. The EMT’s were helping her onto the cot, covering her with a soft blanket and generally treating her with great care.

“I’m fine, now,” she replied with a weak smile. Laney rode along in the ambulance and used her credentials as a medical doctor to talk the EMT’s into letting her keep the baby in her own two arms.

“What’s his name?” one of the EMT’s asked as he checked Trine’s vitals on the monitor. He was a short, stocky man with more hair peeking out from under the collar of his shirt than on top of his head, and a round, friendly face. “Or haven’t you decided?”

“Robert Gunnar Hewson,” Laney replied, gazing tenderly at the baby. “After his grandpa and his uncle.” Trine smiled to herself at the insinuation that she was with Alex. Just because she’d asked them to name the baby after his late brother, and had been spending a lot of time together again, that didn’t mean they were back together. Not that they weren’t, either. She could certainly do worse than Alex, that was for certain. As a matter of fact, she thought, she couldn’t do much better.

“That’s nice. And what about you?” The man asked, eyeing Laney’s round belly. “Have you any plans for that one?”

“Two, actually,” Laney corrected, and Trine opened her tired eyes to stare, dumbfounded at Laney. “We just found out yesterday, we’re having twins. Not uncommon with fertility drugs, you know.”

“Twins?” Trine repeated in disbelief. “What did Bono say?”

“He’s so happy, you wouldn’t believe it. He’s going to have his big family after all. We started a little late, so we’re just doing it all at once,” she laughed.

“Are you sure you can handle three babies?” Trine worried aloud.

“You couldn’t get this baby boy away from us now if you tried!” Laney replied with a broad smile. “Don’t you worry about a thing, love. He’s going to be taken good care of, both by his daddy and his uncle Edge.”

“Did someone call them?” Trine wondered as the ambulance pulled in to the hospital.

“They’re already here waiting, I’d guess,” Laney replied. “As are Larry, Simone and the kids.”

“I didn’t realize childbirth was a spectator sport,” Trine joked tiredly, letting her eyes drift shut.

“With this lot? You can’t do much without expecting an audience,” Laney laughed gently. The driver hopped out of the cab and came around the back to open the doors, sunshine filling the ambulance and a sweet breeze washing over them. It was a beautiful day, a wonderful world; It was a beautiful, wonderful life.

- The End -

I loved every moment of this story SG. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. You are truly one of the best fan fic writers around.:up: :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom