Someone Else's Dream - Chapter 22

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad_Girl

Blue Crack Supplier
Just a quick follow-up chapter; will have a full length chapter ready soon :wink:

U2, unfortunately, are not mine. They are real people who I have written about here in a fictional situation that never happened. I don’t have their permission to use their likenesses, but I make no money from the story and it really is just all meant in good fun. Remember, please, that this is just a twisting, turning story out of my imagination which should not reflect upon the band or the individuals within it. It’s only make-believe. There will be some adult themes within this story, and almost undoubtedly a lot of offensive language. Read at your own discretion.

Catalina Chronicles Book 4:

Someone else’s dream

Chapter Twenty-Two

If you'll forgive me my ferocity, I won't forget your sweetness.
Pull down the night, lay it before me.
Satisfy my head with curses.
Forgive and forget. Forgive and forget. Forgive and forget.
Fates are cast upon the sea.
The winds of past of promise be.
Waters deep uncover me.
A scheme of sleep as lovers three.
Forgive and forget.

from ‘Forgive And Forget ’ by Blondie

Cat was angry. No, she was beyond anger; she was pissed off, fuming, irate. She couldn’t admit it, of course. She knew she didn’t have any ground to stand on, on this issue. Memories of every kiss she had shared with Larry turned sour, leaving bitterness on her tongue and regret churning in her gut. They had been kisses taken at an expense; she’d always known that, but until the moment she saw Adam’s lips on Simone’s, she hadn’t understood the price.

The world had gone black, closing in around her in a circling darkness that swallowed everything but the four of them. She and Larry, at the top of the stairs, forced unexpectedly to confront the feelings their lovers had suffered at their expense. She nearly tumbled down the stairs, teetering back and forth on unsteady feet as she stared in shock. Larry clamped a steadying hand down on her shoulder and the darkness began to retreat, the world returning to normal as the shock wore off.

She had known what they did was hurtful, but now she finally understood. To say she was humbled would be as much of an understatement as it would be to call the Grand Canyon a hole.

The anger had quickly faded into a sorrow, a desperation as complete as any she had ever known. By the time Simone looked up at her, Cat had run the gamut of human emotion and was numb; completely numb. She felt like a circuit breaker had been tripped inside of her, the surge of emotions having been to strong, too out of control and so everything had shut down.

She saw Larry looking around the room to be sure no one else had witnessed the kiss, which they had not. It had never been meant to be seen by anyone except them. She wondered suddenly, how long Adam had been planning this. He had been trying to get Cat and Simone into the same place for awhile, now. Simone’s stubborn refusal to be around Cat had been unyielding. Cat should have known she hadn’t been invited here, tonight.

She had to fight the bizarre urge to smile; finding a dark amusement in Adam’s scheme. She certainly had not seen it coming. She saw Larry scowl at her as if she had lost her mind, which only made her grin harder. She suppressed a giggle; it was as if a weight had been lifted suddenly. Maybe Larry was right, and she had lost her mind.

She heard them coming up the stairs behind her, and wasn’t surprised when she felt Adam’s arm slip around her waist. With a brief farewell, Adam excused them from the party and led Cat out to the car.

“You’re lucky you didn’t get your lights punched out,” she told him once they were in the relative privacy of the car.

“I can handle Larry after all these years,” Adam told her with a vague smirk.

“I meant Simone,” Cat teased, “I’ve never known anyone tougher than that woman.”

“You forget, I’m Adam Clayton; I have a mysterious power over the women-folk,” he replied smartly, referring to something Edge and Bono had been known to say about him. Cat rolled her eyes playfully but couldn’t help laughing. He chuckled slightly, infected by her laughter, and they soon fell into a companionable silence.

“So – it’s all out of your system, right?” She asked after a long moment. Adam smiled gently and nodded without a word. Cat leaned her head back against the seat and closed her eyes, sighing quietly in relief. She hadn’t realized it, but in a way, she’d been holding her breath since that moment atop the stairs, needing that reassurance from Adam that he was still hers.

She wondered if she would ever be able to make it up to him. She was ready to spend the rest of her life trying.

The ride home from the gallery was as silent as a tomb for Larry and Simone. She tried her best to hide her amusement at his sulk, but it was clear in the smirk she couldn’t seem to fight. They were nearly home before either of them spoke.

“Are you happy?” Larry asked, his voice quieter than usual. Simone blinked at him in surprise, caught off guard by the question.

“All in all, it was a pretty perfect night,” she told him, thinking back on the past few hours.

“No, not just tonight. Are you happy – with me? Here, in Dublin? Or are you just – I don’t know… just all right?” He asked, his silvery eyes searching hers in the dimly lighting of the limo. Her brow furrowed in concern and she thought about his question.

“Do you really think I would have stayed here, if it wasn’t where I want to be?” She answered him with a question of her own. Larry shrugged sullenly, his eyes turning down to look at one of his hands as he pulled at a loose thread on his pant-leg.

“I don’t want you to settle for the life we would have together, if you want something else, something more…” he told her.

“You are not that thick-headed, Larry-Mullen-Junior!” She exclaimed, slapping him on the shoulder, and not gently. She was using her ‘mom voice’ and ‘full naming him’ as if he were a naughty child. Larry winced and scowled at her, rubbing a hand over his shoulder to soothe the sting. Simone slid over closer to him until she was almost sitting on his lap.

“No one has ever said getting married would be easy. If they did they were either a fool or a liar. You know I have avoided that commitment my entire adult life, I was afraid because it is so hard. Then something changed when you came home from Memphis. I realized I wasn’t scared of the work, the pain, the frustration of marriage anymore. The only thing I was afraid of was not being with you; not trying to make a life together with you,” she told him, one hand gently stroking his cheek, then running up into the hair at the nape of his neck. With her thumb, she tapped his earring, making it swing slightly back and forth as he listened to her attentively.

“And tonight, that kiss…?” he asked, and Simone grinned at the memory.

“It was about comfort, Adam comforting me and it was about revenge. Not a healthy reason to kiss a friend, but that’s the way it happened,” she replied.

“You didn’t feel anything?”

“It was … nice,” she admitted, “but it wasn’t you. At the risk of being cheesy, I could honestly say all I want is you.”

“That’s just bad,” Larry rolled his eyes, but he was smiling now. He leaned in and brushed his lips over hers softly, his breath seeping into her skin and making her shudder with a sudden rush of desire. The limo pulled into the drive to their house and Larry smiled deviously, his eyes practically twinkling.

“I know a great way to end this almost perfect night,” he murmured, his lips tickling her cheek as he nuzzled his face to hers. Simone let out a burst of laughter, her body shaking.

“We only have two more months until the wedding,” she replied, kissing him slowly, teasingly. “I promise it will be worth the wait.”

Back
Top Bottom