Someone Else's Dream - Chapter 21

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad_Girl

Blue Crack Supplier
U2, unfortunately, are not mine. They are real people who I have written about here in a fictional situation that never happened. I don’t have their permission to use their likenesses, but I make no money from the story and it really is just all meant in good fun. Remember, please, that this is just a twisting, turning story out of my imagination which should not reflect upon the band or the individuals within it. It’s only make-believe. There will be some adult themes within this story, and almost undoubtedly a lot of offensive language. Read at your own discretion.

Catalina Chronicles Book 4:

Someone else’s dream

Chapter Twenty-One

I was feelin like a prisoner inside myself
I saw you
Lookin like you might be
In a mood to try anything that was new
Don't be starved for the love and laughter
Break through total stranger
You only get one life
This night could be like no other night
You and me
Find the fire in our hearts
And dance in the light
Yeah
We'll take our chances
How can we lose
We're making our own rules
This night can be like no other night

from ‘Like no other night’ by 38 Special

Trine let out a long, low whistle when she saw Simone emerge from the bedroom dressed to the nines. She was practically aglow. She beamed at Trine, her cheeks flushing at the compliment she had not even yet spoken.

“You clean up all right,” Trine told her as Simone hugged her in greeting.

“Not too bad for an old lady, huh?” She agreed with a sincere chuckle.

“You’re going to distract everyone from your exhibit,” Trine warned. She was surprised by the swell of emotion inside her chest. She had been invited to the opening, but had chosen to baby-sit for Lorna and Pauley instead. Seeing the excitement in Simone’s eyes, she wished she could have been there to share the night with her. Simone was the closest thing Trine had ever had to a sister.

“Lorna is already in bed,” She informed Trine. “Larry just tucked her in half an hour ago, and I doubt she’ll wake up again. If she does, there’s formula in the fridge; you know how to heat it up. Give her a bottle and keep the lights down low and she’ll go back to sleep. When she wakes up late at night is actually the only time she still wants a bottle, and I’m hoping to break that habit soon, too. She’s getting so big!”

Trine smiled wistfully as she listened to Simone talk about her children, wishing her own mother had been even half the mother Simone was.

“Pauley is watching TV in the living room, and he said he has a surprise for you. Consider yourself warned, I have no idea what it is,” Simone continued, glancing at the clock over the stove and then back down the hall toward her bedroom. “He’s had dinner, but if he gets hungry he can have popcorn and juice, no soda or he’ll be bouncing off the walls.”

“I have done this before, you know,” Trine teased, making Simone smile and blush. She wasn’t being condescending, she was just distracted. She had been waiting for a night like this for a very long time.

“Larry!” She called down the hall, glancing out the window to see the limo approaching. “The car’s here, are you ready?”

“No, I’m not fecking ready! I needed a cold shower after what you just did to…” he was grumbling as he hurried down the hall toward them, swallowing his words when he saw Trine. She grinned at him devilishly.

“What did she just do to you?” She asked with a smirk that reminded Larry so much of Adam it was eerie. Simone laughed at him and Larry flashed her a smile that was almost threatening, as if he was plotting his revenge.

“Trine!” Pauley greeted the girl, rushing out of the living room and nearly knocking her down he hit her with such enthusiasm, wrapping his arms around her waist. She returned the boys greeting and allowed him to guide her by the hand into the living room, wishing Simone and Larry good night as they went.

Larry was still in a state of disarray as they climbed in the backseat of the limo, the driver tactfully ignoring the fact that his shirt was not even half buttoned and that he hopped on his right foot so he could slide his left shoe on.

Simone watched as her lover began buttoning his starched white shirt with nimble fingers. He had been counting on her watching, she realized; still trying to seduce her. He left the top four buttons open, a good portion of firm, smooth chest still showing. Damn him, she thought, forcing her eyes to focus on the scenery outside the window, it was working.

He leaned dramatically to one side as he reached for the champagne bottle which was chilling in the built in mini bar. He leaned in so close to her that his shoulder pressed against hers and the subtle, clean, masculine scent of his cologne hit her like an intimate caress and her heart flopped around in her chest like a fish out of water.

She turned to look at him, playfully sizing him up. She reached out and ran the tips of her fingers along the long, slender gold chain around his neck, dragging the clasp around to the back of his neck and straightening the cross so it fell in the center of his chest, right at the base of his sternum. The necklace was his excuse to wear his shirt hanging open so far, she had realized awhile ago.

She could feel the flutter of his pulse beneath her fingers, the heat of his skin almost enough to scald. He was staring straight at her face but she kept her eyes on his clothing, moving her hands to fix his collar now. If he caught her eyes with his, she knew she had no hope of holding out. Although, sitting here with him, inches apart, with him looking like he did, she could hardly remember why she wanted to wait.

“Nervous?” He asked, his breath stirring the curls that rested against her forehead.

“Hmm?” She replied, as if being pulled out of a dream. He grinned at her as she glanced up, his eyes as silver as moonlight. *Damn it!* she thought breathlessly, knowing beyond a doubt that if they weren’t minutes away from the gallery that they would have already been struggling to get the other undressed fast enough. Her body flushed with need and a thin sweat formed on her skin at the images that flashed in her mind because of that damned smile of his.

They felt the limo slow to a crawl and glanced out the window to see the sidewalk crowded with people, most of whom held massive, intimidating looking cameras. Larry frowned, having hoped the tabloid photographers wouldn’t swarm them this evening. It wasn’t about U2 or even about Larry Mullen Jr.; it was supposed to be Simone’s night. There wouldn’t normally be half as many people around for a gallery opening. He felt Simone’s fingers lace into his own as she took his hand.

“It’s all right, I don’t mind the extra attention,” she told him. He smiled slightly, relieved at her attitude and strangely comforted by her ability to know exactly what he had been thinking. “Besides, Bono would be confused if he got out and there wasn’t a throng of people screaming his name. He would think he was in the wrong place.” Larry laughed at this and nodded his agreement.

“Good point,” he told her, kissing the knuckles of the hand which held his just before the driver opened the door to let them out and the world in. As they made their way past the people waiting on the sidewalk, Larry rested a strong but gentle hand against the small of her back. It was a simple gesture, but powerful and intimate. It made her feel like a teenager with her first crush, her joints all turning weak and the world seeming brighter and more beautiful suddenly. It was intoxicating.

Several people called Larry’s name but he kept moving straight forward, reaching out to open the door and hold it open for Simone. She heard a girl declaring her love to him and smirked at the way he forced himself to keep his face as blank as possible as if he couldn’t hear her. He saw her grinning at him and his straight face threatened to crack into a smirk.

“Oh come on, make her day. Just wave at her or something,” She said softly. Larry’s mouth twisted up into a knot of playful consideration (God, she loved that mouth, those lips, the way they moved…) and he turned back and held out a hand in a simple greeting, his eyes falling directly on the brunette as he did. Simone turned to glance over her shoulder at the fairly attractive girl of maybe seventeen who looked as if she would faint, cry or throw up from the intensity of the moment. Possibly all three.

“Happy?” He asked softly, leaning in close enough that she felt the heat of his breath against her ear. She suppressed a shiver.

“I’m overjoyed,” she replied with a wink as she stepped into the relative quiet of the gallery. They were greeted immediately by the studio manager, an older woman whom Simone adored.

“Nina!” She greeted her with a hug and a kiss on the cheek. Nina was a stocky woman in her late fifties or sixties with short, dyed red hair and such eccentrically applied make up that only an artist could get away with it.

“You know how to make an entrance, child!” Nina said with a chuckle.

“It’s a high price to pay to be with Larry but he makes up for it in other ways,” Simone replied coyly and Nina peered at Larry over the frames of her thick glasses.

“I’ll bet he does!” She teased, loving the shy smile and blush that she earned from him. The sound of the crowd outside rose from a murmur to a dull roar as another car pulled up. Simone glanced out the window to see Edge and Tessa emerging. Edge smiled in his sweet manner and began signing autographs as old albums and posters were thrust at him over the velvet ropes separating the uninvited bystanders from invited guests.

Soon she was swept away by Nina, guided from one guest to another and introduced as ’The Artist’. In the whirlwind of introductions and chit-chat, she lost track of Larry and of the passage of time. Every time her champagne glass was less than half full, one of the catering staff slipped in quickly and refilled it and she had no idea just how much she had actually consumed. Her head was spinning as much from that as from the compliments of the patrons and the sense of fulfillment to have reached this night at long last.

Bono introduced her to Anton Corbijn, and she felt a little like the girl whom Larry had graced with a wave outside. She knew he was good friends with the guys from the band, but she had not yet met him. She had loved his work well before she met Larry. He complimented her work and she felt as if she had left the ground and was floating now rather than walking.

She turned around too fast and nearly lost her balance, her vision swimming, the room seemed to take an extra moment to catch up with her as she spun back to look for Larry. When her eyes focused, she wasn’t happy with what she saw. Cat stood next to Larry, her hand resting on his forearm as she leaned in close to say something to him. He leaned forward and tilted his ear toward her.

She had not invited Cat. She had not been ready to see her, to forgive her; especially not tonight. Simone drew in a deep breath and told herself to stay calm; blinking her eyes and hoping that she’d been mistaken. When she opened them, though, Cat was still there and still touching Larry. Simone felt her chest tighten and her temper flare.

She hurried toward them with all the grace of a bull in a china shop. Larry glanced up and saw her approaching, recognized the look in her eyes and his smile vanished in an instant. Cat followed Larry’s gaze to find Simone. She smiled at first, but with every step Simone took closer her smile faded a bit and her eyes grew wider and wider with apprehension.

“What the hell are you doing here?” Simone hissed, using every ounce of self control she had to keep her voice subdued.

“You didn’t invite her?” Larry interrupted a hint of accusation in his voice. Simone scowled at him, her emotions raging wildly in her eyes.

“No, but Cat didn’t know that,” Adam explained, stepping in close to Simone and placing a soothing hand on her arm. “She wouldn’t have come if she did.”

“Adam!” Cat looked horrified, shaking her head as she turned her attention back on Simone. “I never meant to-”

“You didn’t even give it a thought, then, Cat. Jesus, I can’t fucking believe how selfish you really are sometimes. Coming in here, on this night, standing there flirting with him publicly…” Simone accused.

“Whoa! Uh-uh, no, hold on there! We weren’t flirting; she wasn’t flirting!” Larry tried to defend her, the words catching in his increasingly dry throat.

“Let’s move this elsewhere,” Adam suggested, taking Simone by the hand and leading her down the narrow stairwell which lead to Nina’s office. They stopped at the bottom of the stairs, out of sight from anyone unless they were curious enough to stand at the top and peer down at them purposefully.

“Why did you bring her here?” Simone demanded the rage in her giving way to tears of betrayal. Adam rubbed one of his big hands over his face, his head bowed. He smacked his lips before speaking, and as he did he looked her directly in the eyes.

“Because it’s time. You are my friend, right?” He asked gently, and Simone scowled at him as if the answer to that question was in doubt. “Larry and I – we’re working on finding our way back to the kind of friendship we had before. You’ve forgiven Larry; you plan on marrying him, after all. Why can’t you forgive Cat?”

“Because! Because, Adam, she should understand – because she was my friend, and because she’s a woman. It’s one thing for a man to get caught up in something like that, but she knew how it would hurt me. I – I don’t see the world the same way as you or Larry, but Cat and I? We think alike, we see things the same way. She should’ve known how much it would hurt me, but she did it anyway,” Simone told him, her shoulders shaking as she fought back a sob.

Adam sighed and ran his thumb and forefinger along his lower lip as he considered this. It was an unconscious habit that went back to the years of chain smoking he’d done.

“And damn it, I’m pissed off at you now!” She told him, half laughing at the ridiculousness of it. “Because they don’t know how much it hurt, they can’t know. You know, though, don’t you? How much it hurts to see them together? My stomach twists and it hurts, and oh God, Adam! I see them, in my head, as clearly as if they were touching, kissing, right there in front of me.”

“I know,” he admitted softly. He reached out and drew her close, holding her, encircling her with his warmth. “But it’s over, Simone.”

“I know, but it still hurts so much…” she sniffled, leaning back to look into his sky blue eyes. “They don’t know they don’t understand…” she said again, her voice drifting away as her thoughts became almost loud enough for Adam to hear. He let out a deep breath, an almost silent cautioning sound emanating from somewhere in his chest as he leaned in and kissed her wildly.

Simone stiffened for a split second and then sank into him, her hands lacing up into his soft, silver locks as she swept her tongue over his and moaned in approval. Adam led the dance gracefully, leaving her completely turned around; both blind and deaf to the world around them. He took a step forward and pressed his weight against her, pinning her against the brick wall as the single light bulb which hung over their heads swayed and created riotous shadows around them.

When Adam pulled away, pressing his cheek to hers and sighing, Simone couldn’t stand on her own. She held fast to him and leaned against the wall for support. Adam pulled back far enough to look into her eyes again and smiled at her, completely smug and thoroughly pleased with himself. Her, too, she realized. She smiled weakly and smoothed his hair back down into place as they caught their breath and let their hearts return to their more normal paces.

“They have an idea, now,” he told her, and Simone glanced over Adam’s shoulder to see two long shadows cast down from the top of the stairs. She was horrified for a moment, but a sense of justification spread through her like sunlight warming her skin, seeping inwards.

“You knew they were there?” She asked, realizing she was still in his arms. He nodded and lifted one hand to cup her chin. Her brushed a whisper of a kiss against her lips and gave her a wink before releasing her.

“Feel a little better?” He asked. Simone looked up the stairs to see Cat turn her face away, knowing she had seen it all.

“Much,” she admitted. “And… I think maybe I have a better idea of their side of things. That their relationship to each other doesn’t reflect on their relationships with us as much as I felt it did.”

“All of that, eh?” Adam asked, his eyes sparkling mischievously. She blushed and smiled, realizing it had been a nice kiss on its own merits. She nodded, knowing there was no danger of her and Adam falling in love or even just losing control physically. They just understood each other. Now, maybe, Larry and Cat would understand them a little better, too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom