Someone Else's Dream - Chapter 16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad_Girl

Blue Crack Supplier
U2, unfortunately, are not mine. They are real people who I have written about here in a fictional situation that never happened. I don’t have their permission to use their likenesses, but I make no money from the story and it really is just all meant in good fun. Remember, please, that this is just a twisting, turning story out of my imagination which should not reflect upon the band or the individuals within it. It’s only make-believe. There will be some adult themes within this story, and almost undoubtedly a lot of offensive language. Read at your own discretion.

Catalina Chronicles Book 4:

Someone else’s dream

Chapter Sixteen

I heard somebody say
Today's the day
A big old hurricane
Is blowing our way
Knocking over the buildings
Killing all the light
Open your eyes, boy; we made it through the night
Open your eyes, boy; we made it through the night
Let's take a walk on the bridge
Right over this mess
Don't need to tell me a thing, baby
We've already confessed
And I raised my voice to the air
And we were blessed
Everybody needs a little forgiveness…

from ‘Forgiveness’ by Patti Griffin

Dublin was one of Cat’s favorite places. It was as metropolitan as almost any U.S city with ten times the history and grace. It had its places where it was ‘rough around the edges’ and places which were so posh she knew someone like her would never belong. It was a city full of life in all its shapes and forms.

She’d only recently gotten to spend any significant time learning her way around, having preferred to roam outside the city on her motorcycle when she went out to ride just for the fun of it. When she’d been with Adam, they always had somewhere specific they needed to go, and she had her mind more on what they were doing than where they were traveling through.

For nearly a month now, since she had stepped out of the way for Trine to lead ‘Tequila Monster’, Cat had been coming into the city on her own. At first, on nights when Adam had Lawry and she didn’t want to be alone, she passed some time in various quaint pubs and flashy nightclubs. Tiring of this quickly, she had begun to wander. Museums, corner restaurants, small boutiques and galleries, book stores and antique shops filled her time and helped her to forget her mistakes for a little while.

One night, after a long day of meandering, she was feeling good enough that she decided to stop at Lily’s Bordello on Grafton Street. She knew it was one of Bono’s favorite haunts, and one of the most popular places for celebrities visiting Dublin, as well. The paparazzi were known to lurk nearby every night, hoping to snap a few pictures of Colin Farrell or Cillian Murphy for the tabloids. She had been blinded more than once when she and Adam had stopped in for Bono’s birthday or some other occasion. She hadn’t been back since her return from Memphis, though, for fear of an uncomfortable encounter.

She was grateful to get in the door without raising anyone’s interest, and found her way to a small table in the back without running into anyone she knew. She had ordered a pint and some chips and was paging through a book she had bought earlier when she felt a hand rest on her shoulder. She jumped in surprise and let out a startled cry as she turned to look up into a friendly grin.

“I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to startle you like that!” Gavin greeted her, and she flashed him a knowing smile that told him he was smiling a bit too broadly to truly be sorry. “Are you all alone, then?” he asked, surveying the room quickly for any sign of Adam or any of her band mates.

“Yeah, it’s just me tonight,” she replied, hoping to keep her voice light. “The cheese stands alone.” She joked, making Gavin laugh so hard that tears welled up in his eyes. She arched a slender brow at him and wondered how long he’d been here and how many rounds he’d had.

“Well, if the cheese doesn’t mind, might I sit here?” He asked, his shoulders still bobbing up and down with silent laughter. Cat nodded and gestured that he should sit.

“Are you on your own tonight, too?” She asked, closing her book and tucking it away on the other empty chair near her.

“Afraid so, your mate Bono went and stood me up,” he replied lightly, gesturing for the waitress.

“I see you refuse to take credit for him when he does something wrong,” Cat chuckled.

“And I do my best to take the credit when he does something right!” Gavin concluded jovially. “Which brings me to what I wanted to ask you. I’ve heard a rumor that you’re no longer with your old band.”

Cat sighed and nodded in acknowledgement of this as fact and waited for him to go on.

“If you aren’t already working on something else, I was wondering if you might help me out on a project,” He told her, ordering another round as soon as the waitress returned with Cat’s order.

“What sort of project?” She asked through a mouthful of chips. She hadn’t realized how hungry she’d been until the scent of them filled her nostrils and made her stomach growl anxiously.

“A film project, for Baz Luhrman.”

“Seriously?”

“Absolutely. I’ve worked with him before, so when he called me a few months back I didn’t even think about it, just said yes. The movie is about a bunch of Irish emigrants in America in the 1800’s, in the old west. I haven’t been able to quite get my head around what he’s looking for, though, for the soundtrack highlights. I’ve heard you perform some older country western music, and I thought your touch might be exactly what was missing,” Gavin explained, snatching a few chips for himself and popping them into his mouth as Cat listened to his sales pitch.

“It sounds great,” Cat replied, hesitating for a moment to analyze the situation and look out for potential problems. “When do you want to start?” she asked, realizing she couldn’t find any reason to say no. In fact, the more she thought about it, the more excited she got about the possibilities such a project would bring. For the first time in over a month, things were starting to look up.

Cat was practically giddy with excitement by the time she returned home that night, having spent the evening talking over the project with Gavin. It was a perfect opportunity for her, she’d be able to devote most of her time to Lawry still, and when he was with Adam she could occupy her mind with the interesting challenge of combining Gavin’s musical style with an old fashioned Country Western sound that suited the story and setting of the film.

She paid the cab driver and turned to walk into the house, fully expecting to spend the night alone, writing down ideas. She had never been so content to be alone before. That’s when she saw that Larry’s jeep was parked beside the garage. Her heart began to pound at the possible reasons for his being there, and the consequences. Then she saw Adam’s car was in the garage and felt a cold sweat cover her skin. She hadn’t seen either one of them, let alone seeing them together since everything had happened. She didn’t know whether to turn and run or to throw up right there in the bushes. She certainly had the urge to do both.

Instead she buoyed herself with a deep breath and managed to propel herself into the house.

“Hey,” she greeted them awkwardly, standing in the archway which led into the living room. Adam was on the cushy leather couch, Lawry sound asleep beside him beneath a blanket. Larry sat in a recliner across the room, his elbows on his knees as if waiting to spring from the chair at a moment’s notice.

“Is Lawry all right?” She asked, a sudden surge of panic seizing her heart. She rushed to check on him, but was stopped as Adam stood and held out his hand.

“He’s fine, don’t wake him. He’s fine, I promise,” he told her, seeing the concern in her eyes. On instinct he reached out and stroked her cheek soothingly, and Cat hummed a note of relief, leaning into his touch. Her eyes closed automatically and a wave of warmth spread through her body from the place where his pleasantly large, strong hand touched her cheek. Realizing what he was doing Adam stiffened and pulled away; reminding both of them of their situation and making everyone in the room feel awkward.

“So… if it’s not that…” Cat stammered, turning away so Adam couldn’t see the hurt in her eyes, “What, um… what are you guys doing here?”

“We wanted to talk to you,” Adam sighed, settling down onto the couch once more and gesturing for Cat to sit as well. She leaned against the arm of the couch on the opposite end, with Lawry resting peacefully between them.

“Why?” She asked stupidly. She scolded herself inwardly as soon as the word was out of her mouth. As if they didn’t have plenty of things to talk about.

“Cat, we know. And we just… we wanted to tell you not to do anything drastic. It’s not ideal, obviously, but we can figure out a way to make things work,” Larry told her, rubbing his nose so much it made her nose hurt.

“You… want to make what work?” Cat asked, her brows drawing together in a serious scowl.

“Cat, we know you’re pregnant, we found the test,” Adam explained, and Cat glanced back and forth between the two men she loved most in the world, waiting for the punch line. When none came she smiled nervously at them and corrected them.

“What are you talking about? I’m not pregnant!” She laughed, “Oh my God!” She gasped, seeing the serious looks on their faces. “Oh, God, that would have been bad!” she muttered, her hand covering her mouth in horror at the very thought.

“But, we found…” Larry started to argue, his eyes suddenly widening. “Oh!”

“Oh, shit!” Adam uttered the words as the breath seemed to rush from his lungs like a balloon with a pin-hole in it. He had been so terrified at the thought of Cat being pregnant, possibly with Larry’s child, that he had not even begin to consider the other possibility. If Trine was pregnant, that would mean he was about to be a grandparent. He’d barely gotten used to being a parent.

“Trine,” Cat whispered. “Where is she now?”

“She left a few hours ago. She didn’t even let on that anything was wrong. Not really. I mean, she was in a foul mood, but…” Adam stood and began to pace, raking a hand through his soft, silver hair.

Larry sat back in his seat, his eyes closed in relief that his crisis, at least, had been averted. All afternoon he’d wondered how he was supposed to tell Simone of Cat’s pregnancy, how he would explain to Pauley and Lorna that Aunt Cat was mommy to a baby brother or sister. He had felt the full weight of his guilt more in those hours than ever before.

“Adam,” Cat said his name softly, not sure what to say but needing more than ever to reach out to him. She approached him from behind and wrapped her arms around him, her hands resting against his chest and her cheek against the back of his shoulder as she held him. “It’s going to be all right. She’s young but she knows she can come to us… to you. She’ll do the right thing.”

“Will she? What is the right thing, Cat? I don’t know,” he replied, his hands covering hers, one raising her hand to his lips and kissing it. Larry stood and shifted his weight uncomfortably from one foot to the other as he wondered what to do, what to say.

“Adam…” he started, and then paused, his eyes on the floor rather than looking at the couple’s embrace. “I’m going to, uh, to go. The two of you need to talk, and I don’t really belong here now. I’m – I am sorry, for, you know, everything,” he mumbled, speaking so quickly he could barely be understood. As he turned on his heel to leave, Adam pulled away from Cat and caught up to his friend.

“Lar. It’s ok. I mean, it’s not ok but… I understand, now. We’ll be all right, man,” Adam told his lifelong mate with a gruff pat on the shoulder and a firm handshake. Larry looked at Adam in shock for a moment before grabbing him in an uncharacteristic embrace, squeezing him so hard he knocked the wind out of his lungs. Adam hugged him back, and when he could breathe again, he chuckled shyly at the exchange.

Larry nodded silently at Cat, who smiled sadly at him and waved before he stepped out the door. She was genuinely glad that things were getting better for them, but it all was still so raw. Her heart ached at the sight of them. She had nearly ruined something so special with her selfishness.

“I’ll just put Lawry to bed and pack some things. I can get a hotel room, so you can stay, to be here when Trine comes home,” Cat spoke, chewing her lower lip nervously.

“You don’t have to go,” Adam told her. “I… I’d like it, if you’d stay, actually.”

“Ok,” she replied awkwardly. Adam closed the distance between them in three broad steps, his hand on her cheek, sliding up into her hair and cradling her head as he leaned in close.

“I don’t know – I mean, I haven’t completely forgiven you, Cat…” he started, his voice soft and full of the same inner turmoil that Cat felt.

“I will never forgive myself,” she told him honestly.

“I’ve missed you!” He told her, wrapping his free arm around her waist and pulling her close. “I’ve missed you so much,” he breathed these words as his lips aligned with hers, that full lower lip she loved brushing against hers and making her tremble. Tears sprung to her eyes as she nodded slightly and replied.

“I’ve missed you, too,” she told him. He could feel the way she shook, hear the tears in her voice. With no words to express all the feelings which rolled around inside of him, he did the only thing he could think of. He kissed her. Her murmur of surprised pleasure vibrated against his mouth and made him moan in reply, their lips crushing against one another’s, their tongues sliding in a familiar, tender dance of love, and desire, tinged with something new. Forgiveness.

“Adam?” Cat mumbled, hope clear in her voice as she let her head fall back against her shoulders while Adam’s mouth sought out the place where her pulse throbbed beneath the skin of her throat; his teeth nipping the skin and his tongue and lips soothing it. His hands were sliding up her sides, skimming the sides of her breasts and then sliding down her back. “Oh, God… Adam?” She called out his name as her pulse pounded throughout her entire body, bringing every inch of her to life with a burning desire.

“Yes…” Adam murmured against her skin, one giant hand breaching the bottom hem of her shirt and sliding up under it to make her whimper at the sensation of skin against skin. “Yes, Cat… it’s ok…” he mumbled over and over as his fingers worked on the button at the waist of her jeans. He was trembling now, too. Cat groped at his back, cupping his backside, sliding a hand up beneath his shirt to trace familiar patterns against the skin of his back with her fingernails.

*************************************************************************************

“I love you,” she told him as he stroked her hair and the length of her smooth-skinned back.

“I love you too,” he assured her, kissing the top of her head. “I’ve missed you…” he murmured, guiding her to roll over onto her side, facing away from him. He spooned her from behind.

“I’ve missed you,” she returned. “I don’t ever want to be without you. I don’t want anything but you. You and Lawry,” she told him as he nuzzled her hair and held her in the afterglow of their reunion.

“Promise?” He asked softly, and Cat nodded, turning her head to look him in the eye.

“I promise. You are the love of my life,” she told him, kissing him gently, savoring the feeling of his sensual lower lip. She felt him relax and smile, and she grinned at him, adding, “grandpa.”

Adam’s laughter started as a shocked chuckle but soon they were both laughing so hard that the bed shook beneath them. It was the best feeling in the world.

to those interested, Check your PM or E-mail inboxes for the unedited version :wink:

Last edited:
:lmao: I was just about to ask if there was a unedited chapter,

Very happy to see Cat and Adam back together! now on to the next crisis/drama!

Awesome chapter once again SG!

:ohmy: Trine's preggy from Alex? Talking about tensions in the band!!!!!

Nice that she's gonna work with Gav now :love:

*comment on extended chap* :combust:

Thanks for remembering me for the unedited version :hug:

I loved the chapter! Gavin, and the Adam and Cat making up, and :ohmy: Trine! And I laughed at Larry's relief about not having to tell the kids about their new sibling :giggle:

About the unedited btw :combust: :bow:

Back
Top Bottom