Some old pop-rag photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rivergoat

War Child
I was digging through my folk's attic the other day and came across a box with my name on it marked 'Keepsakes' (okay, there were six such boxes, but only one you'd be interested in). Among other things inside, I found my Joshua Tree tour T-shirt (worn only once - the day after the concert at high school!), a JT program from the show, some old vinyl, and a manilla folder with a stack of pages from different magazines. They were articles and photos of U2 (and other early eighties musicians whom I won't name here).

I have been going through some of the larger picture threads here in PLEBA, and I didn't find any of these photos posted (sorry, I'm not going through all PLEBA posts on dial-up!) So if any of these have been posted here or elsewhere, sorry. Just figured y'all might want to have a look. I don't know the origin of most of these - what magazine they came from, I mean. They seem to be from 1983-1985. When I saw them, the second thing I thought of was y'all - the first thought I had was just a total regression down memory lane! I scanned 11 images for you..

Enough babbling.. let's see if I can get these to post...

goat

}:)~

U2_Faces.jpg

Those are awesome and gorgeous, thank you so much for sharing! :bow: :love: :happy: I haven't seen some of them, or not that big! *rightclicksave* :up:

Thanks Rivergoat! I have only see one of these. It's cool that you found all that stuff, too. I really wish that I had saved stuf like that! But thanks so much for taking the time to scan and post them!

ylimeU2 said:
Thanks Rivergoat! I have only see one of these. It's cool that you found all that stuff, too. I really wish that I had saved stuf like that! But thanks so much for taking the time to scan and post them!

Me too :sad: I used to have so much U2 stuff when I was a teenager but most of it disappeared over the years.

U2Kitten said:
Those are awesome and gorgeous, thank you so much for sharing! :bow: :love: :happy: I haven't seen some of them, or not that big! *rightclicksave* :up:

Well, to be honest, I had to shrink them all a bunch... they all scanned huge (don't know why), so if you want them larger, just let me know.

kellyahern said:
that one in particular is great

Yeah, I like that concert shot of Bono... that pretty much says it all as far as my memories of their early days go... it's almost like he's saying "I rock - you rock - I'm great - you're great - give me more - I'll give you more" etc... all at once.

What's really odd for me is the way Adam looked in some of these pics, it's not just that he's not wearing eye glasses, it's the whole shape of his face... guess it's just the way his hair was styled and how it shapes his head. He looks so much different with his hair grown down to his shoulders.

Anyhow, I have a couple more that I might get to scan later in the week, but they're a bit smaller and black and white. I don't really have all that much, but I'll pass on what else I have.

goat

}: )~

Thank you, rivergoat! :wink:

My favorite pics of U2 are the UF and early JT ones. :hug:

I will treasure these pics for a very long time. :love:

A very thoughtful thing to do. :up: :applaud:

Thanks! :up: Is there any way you could post the huge version of the first pic or post a link to where it's hosted? I don't think an email will hold it :huh:

I agree Adam looks a lot different with the longer curly hair and no glasses :love: That is the only Adam look that ever appealed to me in a physically attractive way. After he shaved off all his hair in JT he looked a lot older and like a different person, like they had changed bassists! :uhoh: Lumberjack Adam :love:

U2Kitten said:
Thanks! :up: Is there any way you could post the huge version of the first pic or post a link to where it's hosted? I don't think an email will hold it :huh:

Sure, I'll have to rescan it, I downsized my original scans. Give me a couple of days. I know I can send 1MB by free hotmail, and photobucket will only let me put up 250kb, so yeah, I'll scan it out and then email it to you... Sunday night latest.

Meanwhile, I scanned every other picture I had from those clippings, no matter how small. There are 16 more images.

goat

}: )~

Apollo_84.jpg

RS_85.jpg

(I didn't color these, the magazine did. I used to have this poster, don't know what happened to it.)
Unforgettable_1.jpg

Unforgettable_2.jpg

The_Longest_Day.jpg

The above image is from The Longest Day concert in England (which U2 headlined). I don't know the date, only the other acts included The Faith Brothers, Spear of Destiny, Billy Bragg, the Ramones, and R.E.M.

Both of these are from an article in Newsweek, Dec 31, 1984
Newsweek_123184.jpg

Newsweek_123184_Bono.jpg

This photo shoot really got some mileage!
Homecoming.jpg

Those are great too :drool: :bow: THANKS! :up:

Hey, don't bother about rescanning, I thought you had saved a copy of the huge ones too. I can always take it to photoshop and blow it up myself. Don't worry about, please don't go to any trouble, but thanks anyway! :wave:

Back
Top Bottom