Some general questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I posted this in the Fic Ideas thread, but I'm not sure if anyone looks at that thread. At YDW's suggestion, here it is again in its own thread:

Hello everyone. :)

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I have some questions about this FanFic forum.

I have read the rules, but I was wondering if there were any additional, unwritten conventions or taboo topics for fics.
For example, are there some themes that have been done to death and everyone is sick of?
Also (and possibly relating to the above), is it considered in bad taste, or disrespectful, to write about real events in the band's history, particularly the more unpleasant ones? I know I've seen some fics with very dark themes, but those were fictional situations. (And it should be noted that I have only read a few stories here.)

That should do for the moment. :) Thank you.
I apologise for posting again if it was being ignored deliberately there :)
(And I just noticed Christine part 21!)

Last edited:
1. not that I'm aware of
2. It is not bad taste to write about history of the band... if it's written well it could help making the story more realistic...

I might as well be specific; I am rather paranoid about an idea I had.

I thought it might be interesting to take a trip in Adam's head, as it were, on the night that he missed that ZooTV concert in Sydney.

Would anyone (mods?) find this objectionable? I am in two minds myself as to whether to write this or not.

i think its sounds like a great idea!!! go for it .

as far as i can tell the only thing that is out is anything further than kissing, as the rest is ficition i dont see any harm . :shrug:

Wow! This sounds great. GG is right; there aren't many Adam fics in here so that alone would be good and to have something 'different' here in fanfic land would be even better.

Go ahead; do it. We're waiting..:evil: :laugh:

Thank you for the encouragement - writing has commenced. :)

One more question, if I may; I've seen the occasional F-word in the fics I've read here, but what does one do when a fic contains a lot of them? Is it enough to replace a letter or two with a ' * '? I have tried substituting other words, but this idea of mine seems to demand an awful lot of cussing. In another forum, I'm sure it would constitute "excessive profanity".
Help?

McPhisto's Advocate said:
Thank you for the encouragement - writing has commenced. :)

One more question, if I may; I've seen the occasional F-word in the fics I've read here, but what does one do when a fic contains a lot of them? Is it enough to replace a letter or two with a ' * '? I have tried substituting other words, but this idea of mine seems to demand an awful lot of cussing. In another forum, I'm sure it would constitute "excessive profanity".
Help?

I totally agree with your dilema. I hate using the f word. However, some scripts call for it and just wouldn't be the same without it. I think all you can do is warn ppl at the beginning of the peice you're posting. I cringed when I posted 'Truck Stop' because it seemed to be nothing but cussing but when I tried using other 'expressive expletives' nothing worked. So, I would go for it. I'm sure Sicy or Bonochick will soon let us know if we overstep the line. ;)

I would rather avoid stepping over the line in the first place, but since I'm not quite sure where it is, I shall use a warning like you suggest, and cross my fingers.

I suppose that different people would judge the line to be in a different place. When I was younger, the F-word was still very much taboo, at least where I grew up. These days it seems to be more accepted.

Thank you again :)

Back
Top Bottom