"Sir" Bono and Edge party @ Lillies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nikkyjade said:
oooh nice! we went to The Clarence for drinks one evening and needless to say we left rather tipsy on the cocktails :giggle:

nice to see you like the avatars i made btw MadDaisy :wink:

oooh did you make those Nikki?
sorry, I right-click-save too much :reject:

Do you mind me using them?

my memory of the clarence is when i first arrived in dublin like 4 years ago, with a friend, we decided we wanted to get a job that wasnt an office job, something more fun and that we could quit without thinking twice about it, so we went all over temple bar asking every pub or store for jobs, then we saw this big hotel, we went in and asked if they needed workers, they of course, said "no" and we left.... when we realized what the hotel was we had such a laugh... how innocent of us ;)

From what I've learned it is impossible for a non EU and IE citizen to get an "office job" or a bar person job.
NOT FAIR I TELL YOU! NOT FAIR.
And it's almost next to impossible to get Irish citizenship if you don't have grandparents or parents that were born there. And I don't mean your great grandparents, no, GRANDPARENTS.
Which is why I have to work and save up for 3 months and then stay in Dublin for however long that money will last me. :sad:

absintheminded said:

And it's almost next to impossible to get Irish citizenship if you don't have grandparents or parents that were born there. And I don't mean your great grandparents, no, GRANDPARENTS.
Which is why I have to work and save up for 3 months and then stay in Dublin for however long that money will last me. :sad:

I think it's like that in a lot of places. My friend is trying to become a citizen of the US. He's lived here for almost six years now, having gone to college here and been working here since. In order to continue getting his citizenship, he had to get a work visa instead of a student visa, and in order to get a work visa he had to find a full time job with a company that would hire him under contract for a minimum of three years. Seems a little harsh that people like me who were born here can change jobs or take a few months off as we please, but he had to guarantee himself full time employment for three years or more.

Good luck with your move!

Liesje said:

I think it's like that in a lot of places. My friend is trying to become a citizen of the US. He's lived here for almost six years now, having gone to college here and been working here since. In order to continue getting his citizenship, he had to get a work visa instead of a student visa, and in order to get a work visa he had to find a full time job with a company that would hire him under contract for a minimum of three years. Seems a little harsh that people like me who were born here can change jobs or take a few months off as we please, but he had to guarantee himself full time employment for three years or more.

Good luck with your move!

:uhoh: that sounds complex.... I'm probably wanting to go to the US too so I'll face the same problem then I guess

yep. its hard
when i went to ireland in 2003 there were many ppl without 'legal papers' working in pubs, i dont know how it is now, most of them payed for student visas that allowed them to work.
i have EU passport though, so i have no problems with that :D

Galeongirl said:

:uhoh: that sounds complex.... I'm probably wanting to go to the US too so I'll face the same problem then I guess

When would you come? If you come for school, it should be no problem, you'd just get a student visa and the school will help with the paperwork. The problem was he wants to stay here permanently and since it often takes a decade to become a citizen he had to get a work visa in order to stay and continue moving towards citizenship.

I would love to go to Dublin and check out the clubs there....I guess it would feel like home....Blonde, hair extentions, sounds like LA to me.........:wink: and you would also have to be good looking to get in......

Liesje said:

When would you come? If you come for school, it should be no problem, you'd just get a student visa and the school will help with the paperwork. The problem was he wants to stay here permanently and since it often takes a decade to become a citizen he had to get a work visa in order to stay and continue moving towards citizenship.

I'd come for school first, but if I like it there I'll probably stay and work :)

Galeongirl said:

I'd come for school first, but if I like it there I'll probably stay and work :)

Maybe we can petition our governments to let us trade places for a while. I have some things I need to get done in the Netherlands. :D

awww! I have a goal this year to make it to Dublin.....I hope it all goes well since I hope to travel much this new year..(Ive taken a second job to support my U2 and traveling habits) :huh:

Hopefully if I make it to Dublin I can have some guides to the city and where to go ect.....

For those that want to go to Dublin and stay for awhile, I'd recommend getting into a volunteer program there! That's what I did. You really get to experience the culture when you are there as a community member, as opposed to going as a tourist. There are year-long programs out there that will provide you with a job, place to live, etc. Check it out! :up:

Whoa this thread really got off track~! :wink:

But thank you soooo sooooo much for the helpful information! I will look into that volunteer program, is there some sort of website for it?

Any bigger versions of those pictures yet??

O yeah, and if you live in Ireland for over five years (and have worked during those five years) you can apply for an Irish passport. Some companies arrange working visas for non-EU workers. And if you can use those for 5 years, you can apply for a passport after that.

You can't get work permits for jobs in clerical positions or bar person positions, which is why I'm S.O.L. unless I quickly get a degree and become an x-ray technician or something like that.

That depends though. A friend of mine works in a coffee shop (she's from Venezuela) and her work got her a work permit.

Ahhh Dublin!! What an amazing place!!!

This time last year Jo and I were getting ready to go for the first time - we were so excited and I am sure some of you guys remember who Jo and I ran into that weekend!!!

We went back to Dublin last August and went to Porterhouse - we were going to go to Lillies and could of got in ok but did not want to pay the 10 euro each to get in. We did have lunch and cocktails in the Clarence though - Vertigo cocktails - v v yummy!!

Off again this Aug for my Hen Night!!

Lisa

Im not sure if these are the same pictures but they kind of look like them and i recently found them so Enjoy! :)

theedge_lillies-07.jpg

theedge_lillies-06.jpg

theedge_lillies-05.jpg

sirbono_lillies-04.jpg

sirbono_lillies-03.jpg

sirbono_lillies-02.jpg

sirbono_lillies-01.jpg

Uh oh... I think Edge is hungry for Burger King :lol:

Those remind me of that pic that looks like Guggi wants McDonalds...

Thanks for the pics, those are great!

Thanks for the pictures! And Caroni, one of my Venezuelan friends here (I know several Venezuelan people in Dublin) is from Maracaibo as well!! I'm actually planning a visit to Venezuela (including Maracaibo) in July/August! :hyper:

great, Showbizireland starts the argument about the knighthood again :sigh: they too think he shouldn't accept it...

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the pics anyway :)

Back
Top Bottom