Significance of Polar Express train??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetie

Refugee
MA - the land of every weather pattern imaginable
I was standing at the soundcheck entrance in Hartford on 12/7 and there was someone there with a boxed Polar Express train. I thought I overheard someone ask him what the toy was for. I may have overheard incorrectly, but I thought the reply was something like - a true fan would get the significance. :huh:

It was really cold and my hood was up so maybe I heard wrong. Anyone know?

sweetie said:
I was standing at the soundcheck entrance in Hartford on 12/7 and there was someone there with a boxed Polar Express train. I thought I overheard someone ask him what the toy was for. I may have overheard incorrectly, but I thought the reply was something like - a true fan would get the significance. :huh:

It was really cold and my hood was up so maybe I heard wrong. Anyone know?

Yet another definition of a "true fan." :sigh: I don't know either.

A big :no: :no: on the "a true fan would get the significance" answer!
I really hope you heard that wrong.
'Cause what a snotty remark.
I hate it when people act like they're superior than others.
Why not simply answer the question, which apparently wasn't done.

During the December 5th show in Boston, Bono told the audience the Edge wanted a train set for Christmas.
So I assume the train set was bought for the Edge.
A picture of the train set being given to Bono was posted in the mis. picture thread 10, I believe.

Hope this helps.

I guess I'm not a "true fan" then b/c I had no idea either! Polar Express is HUGE here b/c the author is from here and we had a premiere here...but I had no idea there was any connection to U2.

I wonder what they think of fan reactions like that? Like, would you think that was funny/cute (getting Edge the train set) or obsessive/stupid?

Holy. Crap. :|
Some people take things a little too literally. I wonder how many trainsets the band got because of that one joking comment the night before...

From what I've seen, train sets ain't exactly "cheap-as-free" if you know what I mean. Wouldn't it have been a better idea to donate that money used to buy the toy (that they probably won't keep) to one of the various charities they support? Isn't that kind of more of a "true fan" action?

...just a thought...

Was this the train?

71529949_7304b05bf6.jpg

Looks like someone gave it to Bono in Hartford (probably to give to Edge).

http://atu2.blogspot.com/

At least we know that people do listen to Bono when he's :blahblah: at the shows.

My guess is that he might have mentioned that one of his little sons wanted it, or made a reference in a concert about it, maybe using the story as a metaphor for another point about 'believing' he was trying to make. I know it's not that he liked the story as a kid, the story is not that old, it wasn't around when I was a kid either and I'm 9 years younger.

U2Kitten said:
My guess is that he might have mentioned that one of his little sons wanted it, or made a reference in a concert about it, maybe using the story as a metaphor for another point about 'believing' he was trying to make. I know it's not that he liked the story as a kid, the story is not that old, it wasn't around when I was a kid either and I'm 9 years younger.

In Boston 12/4 when Bono was rattling off their Christmas lists he said that Edge wanted a train set.

The book was actually published in '85. It's one I have been reading to students for some time. I still have no idea why it is significant to Edge. However, after reading this thread I immediately think "Edge" when I pick up the book.:huh:

There's really no significance to it being a Polar Express Train, it was just a train set that Edge wanted and some fans bought him one in Hartford. In fact the fan who bought it posted the story on Zootopia.

I'm sure it was just a sweet and thoughtful gesture for U2.

I saw nothing wrong with it. :wink:

u2granny said:
The book was actually published in '85. It's one I have been reading to students for some time.

I didn't know it was that old. By that time though I was 16 and too old for Santa. I know I'd have loved it if I could have read it back when I was little. I never heard of it until the late 90s when my daughter's teacher read it to the class.

Last edited:
I didn't know this either... :lol: and if that guy actually said what you thought he said, it's really sad, I don't feel like I've come a "true fan" after knowing... :eyebrow: oh well, let's us suppose that's just what you heard :)

Hey Edge is so cute... if I was Santa I'd have a whole Xmas bag ONLY for him :D :wink:

JCOSTER said:
Thought I heard that the Polar Express story was written in the late 1800's early 1900's. I could be wrong......:shifty:

No, it's by Chris Van Allsburg (born and raised in my home city). Polar Express won the Caldecott in 1986. He also wrote Jumanji and Zathura, both turned into kids movies as well (Jumanji won Caldecott in 1982). The Mysteries of Harris Burdick is another popular book of his.

Sorry, I'm come from a family of childrens lit buffs. :nerd:

Last edited:
Erm... wow.

I'm the girl in the red in the photo. I, along with my friend, bought Bono the train as a joke - and he took it as such. I'm sorry if you thought you heard someone saying "a true fan would understand...," but that certaintly wasn't me. I know that the majority of people, even those who visit U2 websites daily, probably didn't hear about Bono's comments in Boston, so I wouldn't have said something like that, and I'm really sorry if you were offended.

Also it's a Polar Express train because that's the only train we could find in Hartford while waiting for the show to begin. It cost about $10, and it was well worth the experience of meeting Bono and making him laugh. I don't understand why people are being so cruel about it... it was a joke. :|

Last edited:
It's quite possibly my most favorite U2-fan story ever.
My friend went to the Boston show and told me about it, that's how I knew about the train set.
I can't see why anyone would take the "true fan" remark seriously. I bet the guy who said it was just making a small joke, so you could investigate it for yourself and have a laugh about it later.

Wouldn't it have been a better idea to donate that money used to buy the toy (that they probably won't keep) to one of the various charities they support?
Come on. Wouldn't it be better to not go to their show at all and just donate the money directly to a charity? This kind of thinking can go on forever and ever. It was a joke and I'm sure the guys appreciate the humor in it.
You'd think no one has ever "wasted" postage mailing the fanclub either. :huh:

Alainn-la - awesome joke. Witty as hell. Not sure why people are getting up in arms. It's especially hilarious since my friend had been Santa in Boston and I was right there when the list was given.

We were next to you guys on the rail once we were inside (5 friends, 108 shows). Hope you guys are going through the withdrawal symptoms without too much trauma...

alainn-la said:
Erm... wow.

I'm the girl in the red in the photo. I, along with my friend, bought Bono the train as a joke - and he took it as such. I'm sorry if you thought you heard someone saying "a true fan would understand...," but that certaintly wasn't me. I know that the majority of people, even those who visit U2 websites daily, probably didn't hear about Bono's comments in Boston, so I wouldn't have said something like that, and I'm really sorry if you were offended.

Also it's a Polar Express train because that's the only train we could find in Hartford while waiting for the show to begin. It cost about $10, and it was well worth the experience of meeting Bono and making him laugh. I don't understand why people are being so cruel about it... it was a joke. :|

Yikes!! Not offended at all!!! As I mentioned, I wasn't sure if I had heard it correctly at all - it was my curiosity about the whole thing that made me post the question. Because I am - after all - a true fan. :wink:

no biggie :hug:

Back
Top Bottom