*sigh* college decisions.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
$40 bucks per application sucks too. My neice said in her honors English class they do nothing but make out pretend applications to learn how.

I was the dumb idiot who didn't save a master copy of her scholarship essays. Last year I applied for an $8500 scholarship and had to write the six page essay AGAIN, basically the same ones I've been writing for the past three years. Do yourself a HUGE favor and save all of your scholarship and college app. essays so you don't have to keep typing them over and over!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I was the dumb idiot who didn't save a master copy of her scholarship essays. Last year I applied for an $8500 scholarship and had to write the six page essay AGAIN, basically the same ones I've been writing for the past three years. Do yourself a HUGE favor and save all of your scholarship and college app. essays so you don't have to keep typing them over and over!

great idea!!!!!! i'll definitely keep that in mind.

:| The application process. God I hated that. And, what's great is that even though I thought I was done I get to go through it all again for grad school next year. :sad:

There are so many aspects that go into college that you don't really think about when you're looking around. You think the drama is over once you've decided but then you get there and your roommate is straight out of Single White Female and only washes her towels twice the entire year. Then there's the cafeteria. But soon you'll learn how to make snowmen out of rice and olives on taco night. And the dorms that were built in 1899 with walls as thin as paper -- the only remedy being to not make friends or talk to anyone in your four+ years there. And, also the fact that all my classes are 3 units or less and most schools' are 5-7. Making it virtually impossible for me to transfer out of this hell hole.

But once you get passed all that, it's great.

I go to a small school and have about 20 people or less in my classes. Small schools are the way to go. :up: But, they do tend to be more expensive. :shrug:

Good luck to you, U2democrat. I'll be in your boat in a few months for round 2. :(

I would prefer a smaller school, that's why Mary Washington is at the top of my list. It's also relatively cheap as far as colleges come, 10-11,000. The student body, undergrad, is about 4,000. The campus is GORGEOUS. Full of 150 year old trees, war and weather torn. Many of the buildings are also about that old, and the new ones look exactly like the old, which keeps it beautiful with the simple red brick and white columns. I tend to get along with most people so I'm not worried about the roommate.

U2Kitten said:
Merc, is college free for Europeans?? Or do you guys get it cheap or something?

I really don't know about the other countries, but I can't think of any university or college here where you have to pay the amounts of money that you're paying in the US... :ohmy:

.... you may have to pay for a master degree course, if it's a supplement to the degree you already have (I don't know how to explain?!), but when you enter a university or college after high school you don't pay anything here, except your books. :D

I don't know if you get money from that state when you're going to school?! 'Cause we get money here - starting when you're 18 years and then you get money 'till you're supposed to finish (let's say your university-education takes 5 years, then you get money for 5 years, but only 5). It's not very much, but it helps to pay your books, rent, food etc.

... and on top of it all, our educational system is quite unique. I had to compare my education to the similar education in Ireland the other day - I was surprised that they where so different! For example, I study on the "old" curriculum of 2000 and I have no chance of becomming bachelor (the students on the new curriculum have that possibility - we have to be more international! :lol: ) - it's five years in a row, or no master degree, end of story! If you stop after 3 years, then it's just too bad - you don't have a title (like 'bachelor') or anything... :shrug:

When I graduate I get a whole bunch of papers (an appendix to my exam papers - including a converting table of our strange grade system! :huh: ) so that people in other countries might have a chance of understanding what kind of education I went through! :laugh:

Sorry about the :blahblah:... I hope all of this was an answer to your question Kitty! :wink:

Thanks, Merc! It's great your country is so good about helping people with their education! :happy:

Merc said:

but when you enter a university or college after high school you don't pay anything here, except your books. :D

Is it the same for private institutions? I get some money from passing the standardized state tests and some FAFSA help, but not a whole lot since the school itself is not gov't funded. AND I pay for books which are on average $200-$400 per semester. Last spring mine were like $450 (lost all my U2 tour savings), but this semester, I paid less than $100 total (got my $135 Bus Law book for $11 online!).

Even high school was expensive! $6000 per year, per kid, plus the books, graphing calculators, and other school supplies as well :huh:

Last edited:
oy, money! my parents and i are having to save over $2,000 so i can go to germany this summer (its a school thing). then of course, just 2 months after that, i head off to college! (wherever that may be...). for my 18th birthday on nov. 5 i plan to buy a lotto ticket..........who knows maybe i'll have beginners luck! :wink:

Is it the same for private institutions?

Oooh, that I don't know - to be honest I can't think of any private institutuions that I know of right now... :reject: ...I'll return with a reply if I come to think of any...

AND I pay for books which are on average $200-$400 per semester. Last spring mine were like $450 (lost all my U2 tour savings), but this semester, I paid less than $100 total (got my $135 Bus Law book for $11 online!).

Yeah, I spend the same amount on books each semester - sometimes even a little more... Btw, is it true that American textbook writes get payed for the amount of pages in their book (the more pages, the more money) and not for the quality of the content?! :confused: One of our lectures said that once and sounded very serious, but I'm not sure if it was a joke... :scratch:

Even high school was expensive! $6000 per year, per kid, plus the books, graphing calculators, and other school supplies as well :huh:

You payed for going to high school and for your high school books?! :huh: We don't pay for that either and we just borrowed the books from the school and returned them when we had used them and so does every high school here...

... I don't want to sound stupid or ignorant, but you have to pay to go to high school and to college or university. You also pay when you're going to the doctor or the hospital (if you don't have insurance) - What does the government spend all your tax money on?! :confused:

Last edited:
Merc said:

You payed for going to high school and for your high school books?! :huh: We don't pay for that either and we just borrowed the books from the school and returned them when we had used them and so does every high school here...

... I don't want to sound stupid or ignorant, but you have to pay to go to high school and to college or university. You also pay when you're going to the doctor or the hospital (if you don't have insurance) - What does the government spend all your tax money on?! :confused:

Heh, GOOD QUESTION!!! Actually, the government doesn't fund the schools I went to. So it's really a matter of choice. I went to some of the best schools in the area and in order to get a legitimate education, it cost my parents thousands of dollars every year per child (3 in our family). I started school when I turned 4 and I think back then it was $3000 per year per kid. The public schools where I live are a joke. You really only go there b/c of truancy laws. I used to go there after school when I was little b/c I took extra classes like Spanish, French, Home Ec, Crafts, etc (I hated my daycare place so I took classes instead) and the schools were huge, way over crowded, the teachers didn't have a clue what they were doing, and most kids just dropped out when they were 16 anyway. So yeah, we have to pay the second we start school and pay for all of our books.

I don't know how the textbook writers get paid. Obviously, the huge hardcover books like my Chemistry, Biology, and Business Law books were over $100 each. Some of my thinner softcover workbooks that came with software were over $100 as well. I mean, I guess it makes sense that the more pages there are, the more it costs (like a single costs less than a full album). The Professors choose what books we need for their classes so it's really up to them and how well they think a text is written.

Back
Top Bottom