Shadows and Tall Trees chap 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

englishmuffin

Babyface
Just do it! It's not that hard..... Nicole thought to herself pacing outside Paul's house. She was really worried about him. He'd been gone from school a week already.Just nock on the door, ask for him, then ask...... she kept wondering if she was over thinking this. That was a problem Nicole was trying to fix.

She and Paul had practically been inseparable since she first met him. He’d always go over to help her watch her brothers, they’d walk around town. Nicole had even started to catch on to all of his friends nick names. One thing though. He never wanted to go to his house.

Nicole took a breath. Ok now. She threw her shoulders back and walked up the steps to his front door. She knocked on the door.

A woman Nicole didn’t know answered after a few seconds; she had a smile so warm.
“Hello dear”
“Hi i’m looking for Paul I just wanted to talk I…”
“Oh you must be his friend from school! He’s said so much about you, do come in…:” she ushered Nicole in to the house. After stepping inside Nicole felt so much at home in a manner that pleased her greatly. The house was nice, warm like the woman’s smile and cozy, she felt as if she could just curl up on the couch and go to sleep.
“Pauls in here, he’s been sick but he’ll be very happy to see you.” She said pointing down the hall.
“Thank you!” Nicole said not wanting to leave the comfort of the living room. Maybe this is why he’s so sick, Nicole thought, so he could stay in this lovely house. Nicole made her way down the hall and found him. He him self was doing what she wished, curled up in a ball on the couch.
“Paul?” she asked. He got up and looked at her. He didn’t look at all like he had when Nicole had first seen him four months ago.

His eyes had lost all life to them, and instead of being bright blue and welcoming, they seamed dark and empty. He had heavy bags under his eyes and looked unusually thin.
“Hi” he said feebly in almost a whisper. Nicole rushed over too him.
“Are you alright? You’ve been gone a while...” she said sitting down next to him.
Paul cleared his throat, “I’m fine. Just under the weather…..” he said looking a way from her. Nicole studied his face. He was lying. He was sick but not with a cold, he had to be mentally sick or something.
“Don’t lie to me.” Nicole said in a strong voice. Paul looked up at her in shock; clearly no one talked to him like this.
“Are you alright?” Nicole repeated in the same tone. Paul bit his lower lip.
“I’m not.”

…………………………………………………………………………………………........

Monique came skipping towards Mariah. Her eye’s shining, with a moronic grin on her face.
“What are you so happy about?” Mariah asked her closing the lid of the trash can in her back yard.” No I’m not guessing either.” Mariah added as Monique opened her mouth. Monique’s smile faded a bit but her eyes still shined.
“You remember that Adam guy?” Monique said trying to contain her happiness.
“Yes” Mariah said slowly. Monique smiled as if to give Mariah a hint. Mariah frowned and looked around. Monique smiled again.
“Are you guys going out?” Mariah asked.
“SHHHH!!!!!” Monique suddenly said. “Yea I am. Just keep it low. You know how I am….” She said looking over her shoulder. Mariah smiled for her friend. Monique hardly went out with guys, and when she did you were not to tell a living or dead soul. That was the Monique way.
“How long?” Mariah asked starting to pull the trash back towards her garage.
“Two day’s.” Monique said proudly, helping Mariah. “Dude what did you guy’s eat? This smells horrible!” Monique said frowning at the trash. Mariah laughed.
“Don’t change the subject! This is all about you! What’s he like?” Mariah asked.
“He’s awesome.” Monique started opening the garage door for Mariah. “He’s been almost every where! Africa, America, did you know he was actually born in England? Well he was. He’s the oldest, like me, and………”
“Ok! Ok! Monique I get it! I don’t need his whole life story now!” Mariah said shoving the trash in a corner.
“We’re going to this big bon fire thing that this kid named Gavin Friday is throwing, do you want to go? Katrina and Nicole are going. Nicole’s bringing Jane and some guy she met.” Monique said. Mariah frowned. She didn’t really like big public things, every time she went to something public she ended up in the corner not saying anything to anyone. But why not? She might meet some one.
“Sure why not.” She said finally.
“Great! So be at my house around...umm….5’o clock. Ok?” Monique said excitedly bouncing on the balls of her feet. Mariah laughed. “Ok.”

Back
Top Bottom