Shadows and Tall Trees chap 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

englishmuffin

Babyface
Mariah looked outside her bedroom window. It looks like a nice day for a walk. She thought. She needed a walk. Too many things were happening lately, her mom was pregnant, Monique’s dad left, and Monique was staying with her. The only really good thing that had happened was meting Larry.
Sure, a doctor’s office was an unusual place to meet, but hey, at least she met him.

Pulling on her jacket and telling her mom where she was going she walked out side. Just as soon as she walked outside she wished she hadn’t. She walked out to find herself face to face with her dad. Her real dad.

“What are you doing here?” she asked pushing all the fury in her voice she could manage, hoping somehow it would scare him off.
“I’m here to see you, sweetie.” Said her father in his false kind voice.
“Who said I wanted to see you?” she snapped back at him.
A look of fury overcame her fathers face; she wanted to make him angry. He couldn’t hurt her, she knew he knew that. He quickly shook his head and smiled.
“I haven’t seen you in awhile. You’re so grown up.” He tried to touch her chin.
Mariah jerked away, “Don’t touch me. You haven’t seen me in so long ‘cos it was the court and my mother who said you couldn’t.” she backed away from him.

Why is he here? Does he know that mom is pregnant? she hoped not.
“Well here, you’ve seen me now you can leave.” Mariah said gesturing to his car.
Her dad tried to keep that fake smile on his face.
“Well, is your mother here? I wouldn’t mind talking to her.” He said walking closer to the door.
Mariah blocked his way
“That’s what telephones are for, apparently you forgot how to pick one up and dial.”

Mariah’s dad shook his head and smiled again.
“You’re going to let me in.” He gently pushed Mariah away and walked inside.

Mariah had no other choice. She knew her mother would be ok, her step dad was home and he would protect her. She knew that it was best for her to just run. The further she got from her father, the better.

She ran to the park that was just around the corner of her house. She ran and hid in a little remote spot of tree’s that she and Nicole had found when they were 11. Mariah sat under the trees and closed her eyes.

She hated her dad with a fiery passion. He was rude and cruel and worse he would threaten her mother and try to cover it up by smiling his false smile and speaking in that high gentle voice that still gave Mariah nightmares.

………………………………………………………………………………...

“How do you do that?” Katrina asked with interest watching Dave place his fingers on the strings into a difficult position. Dave smiled.
“Umm…well….here I’ll show you.”
He walked over to her with his guitar. When he handed it to her, Katrina tried to be as gentle with it as she could when Dave said,
“You need to grip it tighter or else you’ll drop it, I learned that the hard way.” Katrina tightened her grip on the yellow guitar and Dave showed her the proper way to hold it.

Katrina looked up at him for further directions.
“The strings are E, B,G,D,A, and, E,” Dave ran his fingers over the strings as he named them off. “So you can remember them by saying E-B G’DAE.”
Katrina ran that off in her mind. “What was that you were just playing?” It sounded so pretty to Katrina. She imagined the way Dave thought of it, it was just another cord that he used. But to Katrina, who had only heard the guitar once when Nicole played it for her, thought it was so beautiful.

“Oh, that was a D cord. Here I’ll help you.”
He slowly came up behind Katrina and took her left hand. Katrina tried not to blush with delight. Dave smiled as Katrina’s fingers slipped in the position of the D cord. He held her fingers there and told her to strum from the A string.
Dave grinned, “There, you did it.”
“But I couldn’t have done it without you.” Katrina said giving Dave a sly smile.
Katrina tried to take her hand away from the guitar and from Dave, but her heart wouldn't let her. She imagined Dave tried to do the same, for she felt his hand twitch a bit.
"I want you teach me more." Katrina said wondering if she was coming on too strong.
"Good," save Dave gripping her hand a little tighter, "Because I want to teach you more."

Back
Top Bottom