Send DATA Postcards!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad Eyed Lady

The Fly
With President Bush planning a trip to Africa this January, it is vital to let him, his administration and our Congress know if you support committing increased monies to the world's poorest continent to battle the AIDS pandemic and other problems. You can read more about these issues at datadata.org

DATA recently completed the "Heart of America" tour through the Midwest where Bono and others ? including actress Ashley Judd and her sister, singer Wynonna, actor/comedian Chris Tucker, and some very special friends from Africa. Many here kept close watch and had a keen interest in these events out of deep concern for these imperitive issues facing our brothers and sisters in Africa and, therefore, the world. Did you want to be part of this tour but could not get there? It is not too late to be part of it.

During each stop on the tour, audience members were given several postcards and asked to mail two in to a representative (President Bush, your members of the House and Senate) and give ten to friends and ask them to mail them in, too.

Here is a link to a scan of the front and back of the postcard ? if someone would like to post the actual scan below, feel free:
http://community.webshots.com/image4/8/76/85/57987685SQjXZE_ph.jpg

You can get mailing and email addresses ? as well as phone numbers?? for all representatives at http://congress.org/ If you are so inclined, print out the scan and either fashion a postcard out of it or put it in an envelope and mail to your representatives in time for President Bush's trip to Africa. You can also encourage others to do the same.

His address is:
President George W. Bush
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20500

president@whitehouse.gov

You can then email DATA at action@datadata.org and let them know you have send in postcards, encouraged others to and/or called your representatives.

As Bono said along the tour, "I can't change the world but WE can," and noted that the politicians really do read their mail. Remember, they represent US.

I think it would be good to have a list here, too, of those who have taken some postcard or calling action! However, only put your name if you are comfortabe with it. We can start a list below and each additional person can just cut-and-paste the most recent list and add a number with your name next to it. Let's see what we can do!

6,500 people die of AIDS in Africa every single day. No break for Christmas.

Kewl! Thanks! I can't access DATA's sigh from work (no flash I guess) so I appreciate you passing this on...

I just printed several copies out on the color printer and am going to glue it to regular postcards and send em out to DUBYA. I'm going to make lots of copies of them, and make my friends fill out their names, put stamps on them and send em off.

I've already called the white house 3 times and faxed the pres and congress.

Why not be even more "irritating"?

:lol:

When I was in Louisville, I yoinked a good stack of postcards and have been passing them around since, and I e-mailed DATA about getting more since they had boxes and copying them in mass amounts I simply cannot afford, but they never replied......What should I do?

I've been having hassles with the DATA site (I think it's my :censored: e-mail program; it's not working right) so I e-mailed the President and Congress with the message I copied from the letter on the site *and* called the White House *and* sent post cards in the regular mail. Hey, I'm a Pest, too. :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
verte76 said:
I've been having hassles with the DATA site (I think it's my :censored: e-mail program; it's not working right) so I e-mailed the President and Congress with the message I copied from the letter on the site *and* called the White House *and* sent post cards in the regular mail. Hey, I'm a Pest, too. :lol: :lol:

:) Here's to pestering. Now...where'd exactly you get those postcards from so I can join the fun?

;)

:angel: SD

I made the postcards! I just wrote stuff from the site on them and stuck them in the mail! Then something right happened to my e-mail system--shock--it worked when I went to the DATA site. Then I called the White House. Yes, I'm being a pest.:lol: :lol:

It doesn't help at all to email/send a letter/call multiple times on the same issue. :slant: I don't mean that in a harsh way, it's just that sending one is the same as sending twenty.

Last edited:
meegannie said:
It doesn't help at all to email/send a letter/call multiple times on the same issue. :slant: I don't mean that in a harsh way, it's just that sending one is the same as sending twenty.
:yes: Definitely. One per person is plenty. It will get the message across just as much as multiple ones. :)

jkayet said:
:yes: Definitely. One per person is plenty. It will get the message across just as much as multiple ones. :)

Definitely. Actually it was a bit of an accident because I didn't think my e-mail system would *ever* behave itself again. Then, lo and behold, it sent the e-mail! I really didn't expect that! Then I don't always trust the Post Office. I have to be in the mood.:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ramblin rose said:
So much for the trip to Africa. He cancelled his trip.:down:

Not that I don't believe you, but I can't find a press source for the cancellation. Which press agency reported it? I'm telling you, this is exasperating in the extreme.. :scream: :scream: :censored: :censored:

verte76 said:

Not that I don't believe you, but I can't find a press source for the cancellation. Which press agency reported it? I'm telling you, this is exasperating in the extreme.. :scream: :scream: :censored: :censored:

Gotta answer my own post......DOH!!!! It's Reuters! I am pissed off and not amused.........:madspit: :madspit: :censored:

There have been reports that the trip is postponed and not cancelled. But you're doing the right thing, we need to put heat on him to do the trip. We want him to go, no :censored: excuses. :madspit: :madspit: :censored:

anyone else think it's horribly ironic that these were the last words in bono's online diary...

"The moral compass is now in the President's hand."

right now...i could smack bush.

:mad:

verte76 said:
There have been reports that the trip is postponed and not cancelled.

I guess that's one way of looking at it. But no new date has now been given, just a "later on next year". That's just not good enough. I wonder if he realizes how many more people will die waiting for him to do something historic.

bush , schmush

My opinion is, okay so he postponed the trip to Africa, and the US could definitely benefit from him going, and I DO think Bush needs to be educated MORE about this problem...

Isn't this more in the hands of the Senate and the House?

Getting Bill Frist as Senate Majority Leader is a coup. He is an advocate of Debt relief if I am correct. So getting the bills for emergency funding and debt cancellation is bound to be easier than when Lott was the leader.

It's more important right now that the Senate and the House get these bills on the FLOOR and pass them.

If and when it comes time for Bush to sign something in to law, I say we all go to DC and camp out on the White House lawn.

Definitely getting Frist as Majority Leader is great. He had some good funding legislation planned but he couldn't get the votes this past year. Now he's in a much better position to get the votes so the aid can be sent. I looked at his web site yesterday and he had a picture of himself with Bono in Ethiopia. If the legislation passes Congress this year, heck, yes, let's camp out near the White House with signs and other indicators of our sentiments on this crisis.

Not having a lot of respect for politicos in general and for Republicans in particular - the good thing about Frist is that he is an MD and a Senator and therefore should be able to grasp both the medical and economic aspects of the AIDS epidemic in Africa. Hopefully the ethics of medicine taught him some compassion and this will be a huge step forward.

I am kicking myself that the one time Bono comes to TN I am in MD on vacation. Aaaacck.

I'm generally not overly fond of politicos and especially not Republicans myself. Frist *seems* to be committed to doing something about the AIDS crisis and I do think that's a positive thing. It will certainly be better than what we had.

Re: Who....

bonosloveslave said:
Will it do any good to send these to our state and local reps? Or are these really just for the Washington bigwigs? Anybody know?

No, because this is out of the jurisdiction of the state and local governments. They'd probably just write you back and tell you to write to your Member of Congress or Senator or forward your letter on to them.

YellowKite said:
Hopefully the ethics of medicine taught him some compassion and this will be a huge step forward.

From what I just read about Frist and his medical school background, with cats and a shelter, I ...um am having second thoughts about this guy.

Go to Lemonade stand. I think that's where I read it...

:no:

I read about the cats thing in FYM.........egads. This might sound extreme, but I'm reading Patricia Cornwell's book about Jack the Ripper and the report about the cats thing gave me the same kind of creeps reading the book does. Some schools *make* their students do stuff like this. Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom