SDLP considers Ali Hewson as European candidate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niamh_Saoirse

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
08/02/04 00:00

By Paul T Colgan
The SDLP may approach Ali Hewson, wife of U2 frontman Bono, to run as its European candidate in the June elections.

The party is concerned that, if it fails to find a strong candidate to replace John Hume, who stood aside last week, Sinn F?in will win the seat. Mark Durkan's party has been advised in recent days to sound out the possibility of Hewson's candidacy. She is not a member of the party.

"They are looking for a Mary McAleese, Mary Robinson-type figure to run for Europe," said an informed source. "Ali has a strong track record on human rights and Bono has been pictured with Hume on various occasions in recent years."

A Hewson candidacy could provide the party with a much-needed boost on the election trail and would allow the SDLP to align itself with Bono, who is known to be a strong advocate of the party's policies. Hewson has been involved in highlighting opposition to the Sellafield nuclear plant and has raised significant sums for the victims of the Chernobyl disaster.

Bono famously joined Hume and Ulster Unionist leader David Trimble in calling for a `Yes' vote to the Good Friday Agreement.

The party is concerned about the dearth of political talent, which may force it to look "outside the box" for Hume's replacement. It is also worried that Sinn F?in candidate Baibre de Brun may only be a stalking horse. and that Sinn F?in president Gerry Adams may step into the electoral race if SDLP leader Mark Durkan decides to run.

"Adams would love to run against Durkan," said an SDLP source. "Sinn F?in will give Hume his Caesar-like week and then up the
ante. A straight head-to-head between Adams and Durkan could put the seal on the demise of the SDLP."

The party is not expected to nominate a candidate before its conference in two weeks' time. Candidates can announce that they are running up to six weeks before election day.

Several other SDLP figures have been linked to the candidacy in recent days. Former SDLP vicechairman Tom Kelly refused to confirm his interest in the position, while former SDLP treasurer and Newry businessman Gerard O'Hare is thought to be considering going forward.

Do you think she will be up for it? To be honest, I don?t think she will. Last time she was rumoured to be a candidate, she said she didn?t have time for a career in politics because having 4 children took up your whole time.

Niamh_Saoirse said:

Do you think she will be up for it? To be honest, I don?t think she will. Last time she was rumoured to be a candidate, she said she didn?t have time for a career in politics because having 4 children took up your whole time.

I remember this, too. I'm guessing she won't, but pretty cool they think so highly of her (unless her "name" also helps them, I dunno all the politics). Interesting nonetheless :up:

That would be so cool, but I'm sure her family is her first priority. Maybe when her kids get older she would consider something like that.

I would like to see Bono as some sort of first lady type person :wink: :D

MrsSpringsteen said:
That would be so cool, but I'm sure her family is her first priority. Maybe when her kids get older she would consider something like that.

:up:

MrsSpringsteen said:

I would like to see Bono as some sort of first lady type person :wink: :D

That would be great :lol::D

I agree I dont think she will do it, maybe in the future but Johns still young and her priority has always been her family.

I agree with everyone who says it's an honor but she won't do it now because raising her family is too important. She also values her privacy and wants a normal life for her kids, and being in politics would destroy that. I don't think Bono would like being the 'first lady' type. It would be too confining to him. He'd have to watch himself too much or be 'controversial' and he's a rock star who wants to have fun. Look at those drunk pics in the other thread, if that were the spouse of a politician and those hit the papers they'd make a big deal out of it. Bono wants his freedom. They already have money, so they can just enjoy their lives on their own terms and pester the politicians when they want to.

Moonlit_Angel: It's the Social Democratic Labour Party. John Hume was the leader, but he is retiring because of ill health. He was a co-winner of the Nobel Peace Prize a few years ago.

Niamh_Saoirse said:
A Hewson candidacy could provide the party with a much-needed boost on the election trail and would allow the SDLP to align itself with Bono, who is known to be a strong advocate of the party's policies.

Even if she wasn't raising four kids, I doubt she'd be to keen on running for them so they can have dibs on Bono's humanitarian activities.

But if Ali decided to go for it, that would be awesome and I hope she doesn't give a shit what they think of Bono being a rock star. He's had his fun and she shouldn't have to worry about him being politically accepted. If they're planning on asking her to run, then I'm sure they've already taken Bono's lifestyle into consideration.

Back
Top Bottom