sciatica--ouch!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
Unfortunately I've recently developed sciatica. Ouch! I entered "sciatica" in a search engine, hoping to find some exercise information or something. No, only commercial sites selling some sort of treatment. I don't particularly want to order some strange treatment on the Internet!! Anyone got any advice? Whew! I'm going to lie down in fetal position........:scream: :scream: :censored: :censored: :censored:

sorry :(

looked it up on the net, Here is som treatment that a website suggested:

Treatment
The key points about most back pain and sciatica are:

Do not worry - it will usually get better on its own, within a few days, or possibly a few weeks.
Stay active, and if at all possible, stay at work.
The pain may force you to rest, but this is a result of the pain, and not a good treatment for back pain and sciatica. If you have to take to your bed, limit it, if possible, to a week or two at the most.
Use simple pain killers, such as paracetamol or ibuprofen if necessary.
Avoid activities likely to put unnecessary strain on your back.
See your doctor if you think you are in one of the red flag categories, or are worried about how you are doing.
If it seems to be lasting more than a few days, consider seeing a physiotherapist, chiropractor or osteopath. You may wish to consult your doctor prior to this.
If you do have to be off work, keep this to a minimum, and do not expect to be pain free before you go back.
If the pain is severe and very disabling, and you cannot control it with simple pain killers and/or anti-inflammatory medication, your doctor may suggest you have an epidural injection, which is an injection into the spine, which soothes the nerves which are causing the pain.
In a minority of cases, the sciatica does not settle, or complications arise. This may lead your doctor to recommend surgery, which will involve trimming back bone or disc material which is pressing on the nerve or nerves. This is not undertaken lightly, and will be guided by the results of a CT or MRI scan.

:hug: hope you feel better soon!

I had a sciatica-like problem with my back that I got from gymnastics two years back. It hurt like hell in ANY position, even sitting, breathing normally, or anything touching the spot on my spine (like having a bruise). At gymnastics, walking on my hands was the absolute worse b/c it put all the weight of my torso and legs on the pinched nerve. Fortunately, it wasn't far enough down my spine to cause pain in my thighs like sciatica does a lot. After a month or two, the acute pain lessened and movements involving the back or heavy lifting still hurt. After a year and a few months, it went away completely.

Basically, there's not any cheap treatment besides normal painkillers, but since it was a nerve problem, I'm not sure how much that would've helped. It just very slowly went away.

It should do the same for you unless you've got a disc or cartilege slipped far enough to damage your spine. Lying in fetal position like you said did provide some instant temporary relief, especially after gymnastics practice (backbends, lots of bending and lifting, etc). Also, sometimes it hurts to sit or lay in a position, but if you stay still for a minute, your back gets used to it and the pain goes away.

I never did go to a doctor because it was way too expensive and I knew what had happened and knew he would say to stop practicing. I just used common sense to try and avoid things I knew would cause more damage and in the end, I haven't had any recurring pain in the past year.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hope you feel better Verte :hug:

Did you know the last Tsar of Russia's wife, Alexandra, was a famous sufferer of sciatica? She had a special lounger she rested in and it helped her a lot. It had a kind of slanted back and was long like a couch so she could fit her legs all the way on it. She had some pillows and the entire thing was padded. Many of the last pics taken of her are posed on it.

Thanks! I did go swimming yesterday and I plan to go again on a day when I don't have work. It felt good. My mother has had this about a gazillion times and always recuperated. She's always been pretty active, so I figure that's the way to go. That's how she got rid of hers.

Back
Top Bottom