Say it ain't so Edge!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
U2's The Edge Donates Guitar to Auction

The Edge is donating his favorite instrument to an auction benefiting Music Rising, a charity the U2 guitarist co-founded to replace musical equipment lost or destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.

He's logged thousands of hours of stage and studio time on the 1975 Gibson Les Paul. The 45-year-old musician has used the guitar throughout his years with U2.

"I wanted to give something really significant that would really mean a lot for me to give. It deserved something that I would miss," The Edge told The Associated Press by phone from France.

The Icons of Music auction, administered by Julien's Auctions, features 196 rock-related items, including a saxophone signed by former President Clinton, a guitar that belonged to Jimi Hendrix and an original Elvis Presley recording contract.

An exhibit of auction highlights will travel from Los Angeles to Dublin, Ireland, and London before the sale ends April 21 with an event at Manhattan's Hard Rock Cafe. Fans may bid online or in person.

The Edge's guitar was expected to fetch between $60,000 to $80,000, according to the auction Web site.

Bandmates Adam Clayton donated a bass guitar, Larry Mullen gave a pair of tom-tom drums and Bono donated a pair of Emporio Armani sunglasses.

"It's some great poetry to ask the people like myself, who've earned a good living from rock 'n' roll, to donate items to an auction that would help protect and stave off the decline of the music culture in the Gulf Coast," he said.

New Orleans is the soul of American music, so the Irish rocker said he felt compelled to help after hurricanes Katrina and Rita. He created Music Rising in 2005 with record producer Bob Ezrin and Gibson chairman Henry Juszkiewicz.

"One of the good things about globalization is it has created a single international music community, and I feel very much part of it," he said. "So this doesn't seem like it's someone else's problem. It's really our problem, too."

The Edge, whose real name is David Evans, first discovered the area's rich musical culture as a young member of U2. He was intoxicated by the city's jazz funerals, where scores of musicians parade down the street in colorful costumes covered with flowers and feathers.

"Jazz came out of New Orleans, and that was the forerunner of everything," he said. "You mix jazz with European rhythms, and that's rock 'n' roll really. You can make the argument that it all started on the streets of New Orleans with the jazz funerals."

RIP 1975 LES PAUL...WE'LL MISS YOU!!!

this one:

320703821aazswxfsos8.jpg

he used it big time on the Vertigo tour

i thought he was donating the Explorer when i first read the article's title :crazy:

:up: to each of them donating.
i wonder which bass Adam donated? :hmm:

I don't know much about guitars... but by the looks..... isn't it the one he uses for Sunday bloody sunday??? :scratch:

Giving away one of his most beloved guitars shows how much he is into this cause....

good for you, Edge!

(pity I haven't got enough money... :wink: )

:shocked:

Wow--that really shows how committed he is to helping New Orleans. Now how many of us is it going to take to come up with $80,000? :hmm:

Poor Dallas must be sad to see it go
dallasinhawaii-hans2.jpg

Edit: And I'm finally a New Yorker :hyper:

woah, no way!
thats hectic, I love that guitar! :ohmy:

good on Edge though, putting his money - well his guitar - where his mouth is.

I'm hoping I can run up to Beverly Hills this week to see the guitar and other auction items in person, maybe pick up a catalog even though they're 50 bucks (at least it's for an extremely good cause).

europop2005 said:
U2's The Edge Donates Guitar to Auction

The Edge is donating his favorite instrument to an auction benefiting Music Rising, a charity the U2 guitarist co-founded to replace musical equipment lost or destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.

He's logged thousands of hours of stage and studio time on the 1975 Gibson Les Paul. The 45-year-old musician has used the guitar throughout his years with U2.

"I wanted to give something really significant that would really mean a lot for me to give. It deserved something that I would miss," The Edge told The Associated Press by phone from France.

:shocked: indeed.
That sure is huge.
What a great thing to do!
:heart:

never again will we have a moment like this...

edgeeczz0.gif

but its for a great cause...good job Edge!

Good for him, I know what he means when he says it deserved something he would miss. When you think about what the people there have lost in Katrina, it pales in comparison-and that's pretty much the point.

Just another sign of the kind of person he is.

This is an amazing gesture, and I also think it's great that Bono is donating his green guitar. I love seeing him play it on Kite.

silvrlvr said:
This is an amazing gesture, and I also think it's great that Bono is donating his green guitar. I love seeing him play it on Kite.

I DID NOT SEE THAT!!! HOLY :censored:

Last edited:
You know you have mental issues when you're upset about someone else donating their guitars to charity. :laugh:

I did like that though, and Bonos one. Was that the same LP he uses on The Fly live/f Boston on the Elevation DVD?

if so, NOOOO! :scream:

Back
Top Bottom