Say it ain't so Edge!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the catalog. It's worth $50. The photography is excellent and there are little commentaries throughout from Edge. He even mentions Dallas!

I wish I could afford to bid on some of these items. I may try for a couple of the photographs which are in my price range.

dsmith2904 said:
I went to the auction exhibit in Beverly Hills yesterday and learned a few things I felt needed to be passed along. First, reporters and camera crews from both AP and Reuters were there. The AP team said the story will be online, probably Monday. Reuters isn't sure but keep checking their site. U2 was the big focus in both stories.

Second, if you're in Dublin and thinking about seeing the exhibit at The Clarence, plan ahead and get there early. Julien's is expecting huge lines of people for that showing.

Third, the New York sale is going to be amazing so get tickets if you can. Bill Clinton is going to be there. New Orleans musicians, including Aaron Neville, are going to be performing. And the night will end with a very special performance by surprise guests who couldn't be named but the Julien's guy said I could look around the room at the stuff up for auction and take guesses. Damn I wish I could go.

Fourth, buy the catalog. I was told Edge was extremely involved in supervising the making of the catalog (which is why it wasn't available for purchase in LA during the exhibition--he's such a perfectionist), including writing many of the descriptions. All of the descriptions for his stuff are written in first person and have really cute personal stories with them. The Julien's guys said it is the most beautiful catalog they've ever been involved with. Right now, they don't know if money from the catalog will go to Music Rising because they have to cover costs first but if enough sell, there's a good chance the organization will get something. I'm buying mine today.

I didn't get to see Adam's bass or Larry's drum because they'd already been shipped off but I did get to take in the Les Paul for a good amount of time and it's amazing. Paint on the back is almost completely gone from where it's been rubbing against Edge's hips for the past quarter century. There's a huge ding on one side. Inlays are chipped along the neck. There's chips and swirls and scratches all along the body. And it has a "2" sticker on the back. I can't imagine estimating a price for it because it seems priceless to me.

And I heard a cute story from the Julien's guys about when they arrived at an estimate for the Les Paul. They asked Edge what price he would feel comfortable letting it go for because they say they always want donors to be satisfied. Edge had them ask Gibson what the current street value for that guitar is (about $4,000) and said he wanted to be sure it wouldn't go for any less than that, out of respect for Gibson and all. The Julien's people were blown away by his modesty. I think Edge is going to be pleasantly surprised by the sale outcome.

Thank you Dsmith Im going to get that Catalog!! :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom