Rolling Stone's meltdowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I saw that!

It's sad that Pop made #18....all the Pop dissing makes me :sad:- and they failed to mention that PopMart was popular in the rest of the world. But the rest of the stuff was really funny, I admit. :)

I haven't seen the list, but this was such a "moderate" meltdown. They set a Guinness world record with this tour's ticket sales, for crying out loud. It's quite clear that the "Elevation" tour was more popular in the U.S. but not in the world, necessarily. All's well that ends well, everything turned out fine for our guys. I don't know if Michael Jackson, for example, is ever going to get along with his record company again. That's so much worse.
Aah, the f**king press.........:madspit: :madspit: :banghead: :censored:

madonna's child said:
ATYCLB is their best album?

I noticed that they say "their best". I love ATYCLB but I couldn't believe it when I saw that. It's not AB. But anyway I can't get too pissed off at RS, so I'll let this slide.

Rolling Stone sucks. It used to be a great magazine with intelligent articles about music, but now it's just another rag. I knew it was over when I saw Brittney Spears on the cover.

I find it amusing that RS gave Pop four stars when it first came out, but now they diss it. Have some guts and stand by your original review! I admit, when I saw the four-star review immediately after I first heard Pop I thought the reviewer was nuts, but Pop has risen in my estimation since then. I still don't think it's a four-star album, but it doesn't deserve all the bashing it gets now. And calling ATYCLB U2's best album is ridiculous. C'mon, it's good but it's nowhere near the level of JT or AB.

Bono's shades said:
Rolling Stone sucks. It used to be a great magazine with intelligent articles about music, but now it's just another rag. I knew it was over when I saw Brittney Spears on the cover.

Like it or not, Britney is a part of culture now. She is the one who
gives off that slutty image- not RS. Mostly men work at that magazine, so I'm sure they wouldn't object to a provacative cover/photo shoot. RS is still intelligent- they just talk about music of today-which in a lot of cases is the opposite of intelligent. And this is one of the first and few things that ever slightly made fun of U2- otherwise their albums and other things have been applauded.

Foadie said:

RS is still intelligent- they just talk about music of today-which in a lot of cases is the opposite of intelligent.

:up:

And if you read the 50 meltdowns...they are done with a tongue-in-cheek sort of humor. You can tell that whoever wrote them really does like all the artists and is having fun with them. When I read them, I didn't see a lot of the hostility that some people are reading into it. It's just them having fun with artists. And most of the artists on the list have critically acclaimed careers. To me these meltdowns are just RS making fun of the music industry...which was what Pop was all about anyway! :)

grain of salt, people..brittany spears is my least favorite person in this country..i really really can't stand her..but i still consider rolling stone to be the best as far as music news goes..think of it this way..at least they know u2 exists..

hippyactress said:

Probably because of U2's high profile...

I can't get mad at Rolling Stone cause they do everything in such a good humored way :)

I'm :lmao: at this list!

I agree Hippy!!!
It's not THAT bad....Rolling Stone has always been good to the guys:yes: So, a little ego poke *hehe poke!* is no big deal :D

Anywhoo....I have a theory as to why the guys made the list.
Here it goes:
The writer of the whole "list" is a GUY, Rob Sheffied to be exacty. Guys don't see the greatness of Pop that we do.........
1. Bubble Pants:evil:
2. Muscle shirts
3. Spikey Bono
4. Mr. The Edge....:cute: hehehehehhe
5. Larry at his peak of hotness:drool:

SO, in conclusion, the reason the guys made the list is because of the lack of estrogen in the writer :up:

POP great album for ME , POP Mart Shows U2 timeline are good enough for me so...

Fuck this and fuck that , i will swallow and that is that !!!!!!!!

:yes: :heart: :macdevil: :dance: :mad: :angel:

Jezus Chryst.

When I bought that issue yesterday and saw the blurb about the meltdowns, I swore I wouldn't see U2 in there. I mean, come on, it was a technical difficulty; it's not like any of them pulled a Mariah Carey and was admitted into a psych ward! That wasn't a meltdown in my book. And I agree with everyone who says ATYCLB was a great album, but not U2's best. What were they thinking?

I read somewhere that the new editor, the current editor, decided to "dumb down" Rolling Stone a bit in order to help boost sales. Apparently they think their readership is getting stupider. I thought this was just hideous. How many years have they been in print and now they're going to insult their smart readers' collective intelligence? I'd rather see more ads in RS than lower quality columns. I just hope they don't reduce themselves to Spin. But maybe it's too late for that. They did, after all, give Pop four stars initially, then retracted that review by calling it "bad synth-rock".

Hmm... maybe what I just typed was too heavy for this thread. Oh, well, that's just how I feel about this! :D

der der der der!!!

When I went to the Rolling Stone website, I clicked on the highlighted U2......so I went to the U2 webpage.....then I saw this trivia game about U2:ohmy: ...and now I'm hooked on it!!!
I 've gotten all of them right!! :up: :wave: ::love:

hippyactress said:

Probably because of U2's high profile...

I can't get mad at Rolling Stone cause they do everything in such a good humored way :)

I'm :lmao: at this list!

That and those circumstances were a bit contrary to U2, the media expects big time sales figures for them. What was good enough for a band like INXS (who sold 20 million for their entire career, and they were considered "successful" but only by more modest standards, no offense to them, I like them) wasn't good enough for U2, as far as the press was concerned. There's definitely some inconsistency here based on expectations. INXS weren't anywhere near as high profile as U2 were, at least not in the U.S, and that's where this judgment was made.

Re: Jezus Chryst.

Queen Betty said:
I read somewhere that the new editor, the current editor, decided to "dumb down" Rolling Stone a bit in order to help boost sales. Apparently they think their readership is getting stupider. I thought this was just hideous. How many years have they been in print and now they're going to insult their smart readers' collective intelligence? I'd rather see more ads in RS than lower quality columns. I just hope they don't reduce themselves to Spin. But maybe it's too late for that. They did, after all, give Pop four stars initially, then retracted that review by calling it "bad synth-rock".

Hmm... maybe what I just typed was too heavy for this thread. Oh, well, that's just how I feel about this! :D

I totally agree with what you said. I think it's sad that RS, or any other form of media, feels it has to "dumb down" its content. It is insulting to young people, the demographic I presume they are going after.

I was at the store yesterday and just happened to pick up RS and was reading this article.

The funny thing is, the magazines in the grocery store, are right next to the bin of LEMONS!

:lol:

oktobergirl said:
I was at the store yesterday and just happened to pick up RS and was reading this article.

The funny thing is, the magazines in the grocery store, are right next to the bin of LEMONS!

:lol:

Hyuk hyuk hyuk! :lol:

Hmm... I think I'm too young to remember when RS still had integrity!! Bwa ha! But I'm old enough to know that they think kids like me are getting dumber. :der: Ferget them, I'm gonna start reading imported mags like Hot Press more! :D

Back
Top Bottom