Riding in cars with Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
No, it's not me :( I wish! Sigh! :shrug: But I did find this new pic of two girls getting a ride in Bono's car! They were there last week in with the Zootopia tour.

Carride2407.JPG

Cool pic.
The closest I would ever get to Bono and his car would probably be him running me down in the street one day :(

Re: Awwww....

Moonlit_Angel said:
No fair! I want to be one of the girls in the car! *stomps foot, folds arms, and pouts, walks away muttering something about how some people get all the luck*

Angela

I know how you feel, but it's not 'luck' it's MONEY! These days, EVERYBODY who goes to Dublin WILL meet at least one of them. If you go to the studio, they have to come in and come back out, so if they are in town the same time as you, you got them. So anybody who has the money and the free time to go to Dublin will score, which leaves out all of us with jobs, commitments, families, problems and no cash or credit that prevent such a trip with no chance.:(:(:sad:Don't mean to knock anyone who went, just lamenting my misfortune with someone else. :(

Can't buy me U2, can't buy me U2:grumpy:

You are so funny Desire4Bono!!

I am actually going to Dublin in a month. I don't know if I will be lucky enough to meet U2, but I'm going brunette just in case LOL:) It seems all the gals that get to ride in Bono's car are not blondes ! :scratch:

btw, I do have a job, and committments. I convinced my mom to watch my doggies for nine days, went into debt to pay for my plane ticket, taking all of my vacation at once, and am sharing a place with a few others in order to afford accomodations.

It will be worth it for the experience - having never been out of the USA before. I'll be sure to report back any "meetings" if I should be so blessed!!
:love: :love: :love:

Here's the story from Valeriana, the Zootopian who took this picture and also got a lift from Bono, she also had a couple of really great encounters with Adam and The Edge.

http://zootopia.u2.com/webx?50@61.b7VCa3csifN^147985@.2e0ea75c

I went to Dublin when Bono was in Africa (all the rotten luck) so I didn't get to see any of the guys, but Dublin is such a fantastic city with or without U2 (so did not intend for that to come out as such an awful pun) that it's worth it to go anyway. I so want to go back!!

LOL...

dsmith2904 said:
Here's the story from Valeriana, the Zootopian who took this picture and also got a lift from Bono, she also had a couple of really great encounters with Adam and The Edge.

http://zootopia.u2.com/webx?50@61.b7VCa3csifN^147985@.2e0ea75c

I went to Dublin when Bono was in Africa (all the rotten luck) so I didn't get to see any of the guys, but Dublin is such a fantastic city with or without U2 (so did not intend for that to come out as such an awful pun) that it's worth it to go anyway. I so want to go back!!

Dsmith, it's okay about the pun thing. :).

Desire4Bono, yeah, that's true, too.

I do have a small glimmer of hope, though-I got a call from a cousin I just recently met from my dad's side-his business he has is up and coming, and someday they'll be doing business in Ireland, and he suggested taking me there someday, maybe in a couple of years or so...so if that happens, I will make it my mission to visit Dublin and possibly meet U2. That'd be awesome.

Angela

ok....I've got committments, mortgage, family, more than one job, a cat, and all kinds of things to tie me down/suck up my money. But, I went to Ireland last year, in May, when U2 were in America. I didn't meet them, but I went to all the u2ey historical places. It really wasn't that expensive on the island. We never paid more than 40 pounds for any B & B we stayed in, we got a really cheap 3 day bus pass for Dublin, yadda yadda. It was worth every penny. If you save and plan (or are willing to go into a little debt, say a few tousand $$), you can go....
We loved it so much, we are going back in April 2003. I'm already saving up for a one nights stay at The Clarence. We couldn't afford it last time, but we did have tea/snackies there. (and stole an ashtray...heh,heh).

I know some of you do have jobs (some jobs you can't get time off) and obligations too, but some of you must make a lot more and have more vacation time and supportive bosses and families. We all aren't that fortunate. Many of us are unable to come up with a thousand or two, as ballykiss says it takes (at least I'd say!) at any time of the year. I did have a little credit limit, but I used it on concert tickets and travel expenses to a couple shows and now I'm paying the high interest and can't put anything else on the cards. I don't make all that much money anyway, and just living uses that up. No getaway for me. As hard as it must be to save for one trip, to me it is unimaginable how much it must cost to spend several weeks, or months there! Those fans must have very deep pocketbooks, or access to something. If a weekend is a thousand or two, the expenses that must run up are unfathomable to me. Some people are far more financially fortunate than others, and I am not a fortunate one. Again, not putting down anyone who went or is going, just lamenting and expressing how this is not a reachable goal for just anyone, and that the difference between being able to go and not being able to go = MONEY so that cannot be denied!

Ha ha! If a weekend is a thousand or two, I'm in deep S**T!!!

I'm bringing less than $1000 for 9 days so I hope I don't have to sleep on the banks of the River Liffey :ohmy:

I thank God for an extra paycheck this month, which is enabling me to afford this.

Your right D4B, some of us are luckier than others. And I feel at 33, I am blessed to be able to finally experience this trip of a lifetime . I've been dreaming of it since I was 12 years old !! :heart: :heart: :heart:

thieving PLEBAns

ballykissangel said:
We couldn't afford it last time, but we did have tea/snackies there. (and stole an ashtray...heh,heh).

lol!! My roomie stole a bowl from the Octagon Club when we were there in January. It's sitting in our kitchen right now... :angel:

Damn, I'll just have to rob the bank. It seems like everyone's going to Dublin! Why don't those of us who can't go start a club, the "Out-of-Luck Club"????:banghead: :banghead:

Desire4Bono said:
Some people are far more financially fortunate than others, and I am not a fortunate one.

Me too. I know exactly how you feel. I, too, am struggling right now and may not be able to attend this semester at school because of it...so there is no way I'm going to Dublin, or maybe even down the block, anytime soon.

But there is ALWAYS hope somewhere in there. Life is long and who knows what opportunities wait for us? That has always been my philosophy and always will be. So I can't afford a trip right now, so what? Maybe tomorrow something will happen that will lead to me being able to go...I can always hope! :)

why am i only 13..ok thats an easy one - i was born in 1988
....my parents won't let me go to dublin, and if i had the money then i would buy myself a plane ticket..but i don't, so i can't...life's soooo unfair....

Hi, I'm Carly! I have to say Bono is so sweet meeting his fans. He might be irrtiated with it sometimes but he doesn't show it. You know what, he's so cool that might never be. I'm going to Ireland the first week of June{2004}. Hopefully I'll meet the the B-Man! I'm 25% Irish and my mom's last name before she got married was O'Brien and that's truly Irish! :sexywink: :cool: :cute:

Last edited:
Going back to going to Dublin, I'm lucky in that I live in the UK and the flight is only 40 mins. The most we have ever paid for a flight is ?47 return, last year we went for ?2.50 and 1p!! I work am married and have a six year old daughter. But we all save up and for Christmas and birthdays we all get money for our Dublin trips.
It must be much more difficult for those of you in the USA because of the distance and expense involved, but just think how many times Bono is over there and how many concerts you get!
Where there's a will there's a way!!! :wink:

Last edited:
I was just reading thru this here thread and I sort of agree with D4B in so far as those with $$$ and/or no responsibilities that keep them from going to Dublin have a better chance of meeting U2 these days...Which, as was stated, is not an attack on anyone who does make it happen & goes to Dublin & meets U2, but it is A LOT easier to meet them on their own turf when they are in town than it is waiting for them to tour or, for whatever reason, visit your city, track them down, and meet them.

I have been VERY fortunate and blessed to have met Bono as many times as I have over the past 10+ years (as well as the others, tho much less often). However, the times I met them when I lived in Boston, wel, ok the first time was PURE luck and the following times in Boston were b/c they were on tour and playing in the area. I knew where they stayed and would go and plunk myself right down in front of the hotel for hours on end. (I was very young and had a lot more free time and a very understanding mum.)

Then when I moved to Los Angeles & they went on tour I had no clue how to meet them. In fact, I went home to Boston for Elevation and met them again outside the same old hotel... Eventually in LA I learned the "outside the venue" trick, as well as where 1 member stays, but that's it. (Ok, I'm also lucky now in so far as LA is popular with the awards ceremonies...lol)

But, my point, yes... My point... erm... The only time I was ever able to go to Dublin was in 1993 when I was 19 years old and that was a struggle b/c my Mum was very worried about me going alone (I had no friends who could/would go at the time, being that the world was less internet friendly). But I worked all summer, saved up the money, had no responsibilities and the timing for the Zooropa shows was perfect in that my job ended but college had yet begun. I went for 10 days and only had legit lodging for 3. I met several good folk there, some of which offered to let me crash at their houses, which I did to save more money to eat and what not. It has been just over 10 years now since I was there and I desperately wanted to go this past summer, but couldn't get away. It seems when I have the money, I can't get away due to responsibilities and when I have time off, I don't have the money, lol. Love that! not. Also, when the twain shall meet, my family begs me to go home for a visit, so I end up having to choose between Boston/family or Dublin/U2... Family tends to win out.

Ok, well, I've rambled on long enough... but I just wanted to commiserate... Oh, and while I was in Dublin and did get to see U2 perform, I didn't meet Bono there.

-Mel

Back
Top Bottom