RED is coming! no. 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bono Mot said:
Eep! I went to the Gap by me at lunch and a bunch of stuff was on sale and the gal said they were planning on moving the rest of the stuff to another store. :sad:

oh nooo that's awful! :(

I never did get to go by my store like I wanted to, I hope you found what you (or the mystery person) were looking for Babydoll!

redhotswami said:
Good luck Jamila! Thanks for doing the testimonials thing. I came to the thread too late, but I'm excited to see what everybody wrote.

Thanks for everyONE's support and good wishes for this effort.

Your testimonials have all been emailed to the "right person" along with your email addresses in case they would like to get ahold of you.:wink:

redhotswami, I'll still accept a few more testimonials if you would still like to write on the topic "Why I Buy (RED)".

These entries will all be looked at for a few days so no immediate decision will be made about how these will be used to show our support of (RED).

I went to a GAP store yesterday in Houston before leaving to come home and they had some selcted (RED) items on sale so I got two big sturdy canvas bags (one green and one red) just perfect for carrying things around to work or from the store. :up:

They were originally $50 bags and I got them for $30 apiece.

One bag is for me and the other is for my daughter.

I'll keep y'all up to date on what transpires with our testimonials.:yes:

Fantastic Jamila !
I too went to buy (RED) yesterday .. They have some really nice things out . My birthday is next week , so I treated myself to a Tee and an INSPI(RED) Journal ( it's so cool ) .
I have requested from my friends and family .. only (RED) gifts .. lets see what I get !
.... In regard to all of you writing that some of the GAPS are shelving their (RED) .. here in NY it is still very strong ... If any of you would like me to look for items you may want , I would be more than glad to do it for you.

I haven't been into my local Gap lately either...no job=no money and no RED for Cassie :sad:

But, I'm more than willing to check it out for anyone who is looking for specific items. The last time I was in, the selection was excellent :happy:

I got one of those totes, too, Jamila! The Gap I went to had a lot of (red) stuff on clearance, I got one of the big red canvas totes but they also had the green and brown ones, and the denim ones with words all over.
Plus lots and lots of (red) sweaters and sweatshirts and jackets on clearance, but also plenty of the t's and tanks in a huge display in the middle of the store, so they aren't clearancing it all out, just the colder weather stuff.
They had the new journals, the new beaded pins, plus lots of the other accessories.
Just a little (red) update from Portland, I wish I had the time to go around to all the Gaps in this area as I'm sure the selection in each one is going to vary a lot.

Would someone be so kind and get me one of the RED leather bracelets?! (If they aren't too expensive and still available) Unfortunately I can't buy them here in Germany and they didn't sell them in Dublin! Contact me for details: Kite105 @hotmail.de
That would be really great! Thx.

I'm going to try to get to GAP today if I have time. They come in different colors. Do you have a preference? My store usually has the red, white, black and sometimes brown. I know there's a green too which I want but I have never seen it yet. I think they cost $10.
I'll let you know!

bonocomet said:
I'm going to try to get to GAP today if I have time. They come in different colors. Do you have a preference? My store usually has the red, white, black and sometimes brown. I know there's a green too which I want but I have never seen it yet. I think they cost $10.
I'll let you know!

Wow, thank you so much! :) I'd take every color, but black and brown would be cool! (They'd match with my red watch!) Green sounds great, too. Thanks again!

love2bmama said:
I got one of those totes, too, Jamila! The Gap I went to had a lot of (red) stuff on clearance, I got one of the big red canvas totes but they also had the green and brown ones, and the denim ones with words all over.
Plus lots and lots of (red) sweaters and sweatshirts and jackets on clearance, but also plenty of the t's and tanks in a huge display in the middle of the store, so they aren't clearancing it all out, just the colder weather stuff.
They had the new journals, the new beaded pins, plus lots of the other accessories.
Just a little (red) update from Portland, I wish I had the time to go around to all the Gaps in this area as I'm sure the selection in each one is going to vary a lot.

Very Cool, my friend.

Shop 'til it stops. :bonodrum: :hi5:

Ok, everyone my visiting classes at my sons school is on. Each class will be picking up a different charity regarding Africa.

I have to think of some fund raising ideas so that the classes can raise money.

Any of your ideas and input would help alot. Thanks :wink: JC

JCOSTER said:
Ok, everyone my visiting classes at my sons school is on. Each class will be picking up a different charity regarding Africa.

That is wonderful! . I have a suggestion for you. A bake sale.
You could send flyers home with the children asking for bakers to donate cookies and cakes , then separate and box them and price them . Ask the school if you could pick a day to run it . It works well , we used to do this when I was young in school.Also at the sale you could have 2or 3 different items on display that they could win . I will personally donate a (RED) t-shirt to auction, for you.
Hope this helps you. Good Luck!

Bona Vox said:

Wow, thank you so much! :) I'd take every color, but black and brown would be cool! (They'd match with my red watch!) Green sounds great, too. Thanks again!

Yay I'm glad to hear you like the brown because I had to leave before you posted, so I just took a guess at the store and I got you the brown!
I'll email you tonight! :)

JCOSTER said:

Just in case you haven't thought of this (but I am sure you have) a bake sale never fails my mom raises lots of money for her community center that way.:yes:

Lemon cake:drool:

Thanks guys thats great too and thank you soooo much for the offer of donating the T-shirt. I will definately let you know if it will be something to do.

I have to think of 14 charities. I have 8 so far. :huh:

How about 46664 :hmm:

http://46664.tiscali.com/

some info...

BACKGROUND ON 46664

"To win this fight, we all must do more. Do more to tell people about protection. Do more to fund those making such a difference on the frontline to fight HIV. Do more to demand leaders give people the medicine, the care, the treatment they need when they have AIDS … By supporting 46664, we can unite in the fight to do more. Do more to try secure a future for everyone, everywhere free from HIV / AIDS." President Nelson Mandela (1st April 2004, Johannesburg - South Africa)

What is 46664?

46664 was the prison number of Nelson Mandela on Robben Island, Cape Town where he was held in captivity for 18 years. In November 2002 Mr Mandela gave his prison number 46664 to Dave Stewart of Eurythmics so that he could use it to help in the fight against HIV/AIDS in South Africa by raising money for the Nelson Mandela Foundation.

The first thing that Dave did was to ask his good friend Joe Strummer, famous as the lead singer of the legendary band The Clash, to write lyrics for a song that included 46664. Sadly this was the last song that Joe was to write. Following his death in December 2002, Dave completed the song with Bono and the two of them recorded it together as the first of a series of co-writes for the campaign. This song, 46664 (Long Walk to Freedom), soon became the anthem of 46664.

(there's a lot more to this at the site.)

Last edited:
I was thinking of that one but the only thing that stopped me was that I just saw Blood Diamonds and Unicef was pictured in the movie and wasn't very helpful to some of the displaced people. Maybe I'm just being silly it was ten years ago! :huh:

JCOSTER said:
Thanks guys thats great too and thank you soooo much for the offer of donating the T-shirt. I will definately let you know if it will be something to do.

I have to think of 14 charities. I have 8 so far. :huh:

No problem ! It will be my pleasure. Let me know which one you want and what size and I will get it.
A few tips for you ,if you decide to do a Bake Sale .
Try to get everything donated ; the tins and containers ; the flyers etc. It also would be a good idea to have a small commitee to help you co-ordinate eveything . It can be overwhelming. My niece just had a Bake Sale (in her home ) to raise money for "Kids Kicking Cancer" a small organization that helps young children to overcome their illness .It worked out well and she raised alot of money for it.
Good Luck ! Feel free to e-mail me if there is anything I could help you with.

I'm just finding this conversation so excuse me for not contributing any ideas before now.

Truthfully, DATA/ONE really are not charities to raise money for because they are underwritten by people like Bill Gates and several other big contributers.

What you want to concentrate on is organizations that are directly helping people in Africa:

1) The Global Fund

2) Oxfam

3) World Vision

4) Care

5) African Well Fund

6) Africare

7) Keep a Child Alive

8) UNICEF (please don't judge this organization by a movie)

9) Children of Uganda

10) Nothing But Nets

I would google "AIDS orphans" and see if you can find any good organizations that are taking care of the children of Africa.

Here is the website of my friend's organization in case you would like to choose them. The children of Zimbabwe are really desparate for help:

http://www.brotherbrothersistersister.org

Bake sales and car washes are always good fundraisers. :wink:

I'll have a bit more to share tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom