RED is coming! no. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya know that cashmere bikini might be the 'it' thing to wear on the slopes this spring in the Alps. :wink: I kid you not, I've heard that in the spring it gets so warm there that women, who dare to wear a bikinis at all, sometimes wear bikini tops, (under their coats of course!) when skying down the slopes. :ohmy:

Also after taking a closer look at the bead on the pin bonocomet sent me :hug: it looks me as though it might made out of some sort of glass that's been injected with red dye, just like the trade beads once used in Africa, and that's why they end up being slightly different sizes and shades. :nerd:
I'm conviced their not made of plastic.

Last edited:
Oh and I've another question for Babydoll! Hope you don't mind me picking your brains like this?! :shifty: But I also need to know what the numbers on the back of the pins packages represent. I've underlined them in red! :wink:

KopioRED_pin_0001.jpg

:help:

If the label is from a garment, it goes in order of product number, style number and size. If it's not a garment, then its product number, style number and item number. :)

Babydoll said:
If the label is from a garment, it goes in order of product number, style number and size. If it's not a garment, then its product number, style number and item number. :)

Thank you so much! :bow: It's the back of the package that the Gap (RED) pin came in. :D *Goes off to write up info on PowerPoint presentation* :wink:

I made stops to two different Gaps while I was out today and at the first one I saw a shirt I hadn't seen before, Empowe(red). It was a very light white but not a v-neck one. they had most everything....bracelets, pins, the hoodies, jeans, the candles, Converse, a variety of the shirts including a pile of the red Desi(red) ones. I also saw two bags I hadn't seen before. My description stinks but one was a tote bag and the other the size of a clutch bag, an offwhite background with a design similar (in my mind) to the Jesus fish. The tote was $98 and the clutch was $68.

the 2nd Gap didn't have much but I did pick up a long-sleeve Inspi(red) shirt. Yay.

:hyper:

redhotswami said:

:sigh: I don't know...it is a contradiction that I don't quite understand yet. I want to support (RED), but I've made a vow to stop purchasing things made in China. Although I want to promote awareness of poverty in Africa and contribute to kicking it in the ass, I don't want to encourage the use of sweat-shops. I'm trying to only buy (RED) products that aren't made in China. So far, I've only found the GAP shirts, and one jean bag that was made in the U.S. Even Converse shoes are made in China, and that was the product I wanted the most! :sad:

I don't keep bringing this up to be a jerk, or to poop on everyone's parade, because I'm just as enthusiastic as you all are. And please don't think I'm being judgemental or a Debbie Downer. I'm so happy that RED has taken off. I'm just concerned for my own personal convictions and trying to be careful. I actually own more Edun products than RED...it is just easier for me that way :wink: But hey, we're all contributing to the cause, so its all good :up:

Doing some research on the issue, historically speaking their are fewer complaints of GAP abuses in China than there are in Latin American countries and, ironically enough, Lesotho. It seems the worst abuses in general occurred from 1998-2001/2ish and that while not perfect, they have been making attempts to continue to both internally and independently monitor factories in various parts of the world.

Has anyone else heard/red anything on this subject?

brunerhyme said:

Doing some research on the issue, historically speaking their are fewer complaints of GAP abuses in China than there are in Latin American countries and, ironically enough, Lesotho. It seems the worst abuses in general occurred from 1998-2001/2ish and that while not perfect, they have been making attempts to continue to both internally and independently monitor factories in various parts of the world.

Has anyone else heard/red anything on this subject?

I've read various articles about this issue. The only novel I've read was No Logo, by Naomi Klein. My problem isn't with GAP in particular but sweatshops in general.

There have been some changes since the release of No Logo, which definitely played a role in bringing these issues to the forefront. Many companies are trying to change their image by participating in other charitable practices (i.e. GAP, Walmart) instead of changing some sweatshop conditions.

I'm curious, can you share with me your sources? I'm very excited to see someone else who is familiar with this issue, and would love to discuss it further if you like :)

redhotswami said:

I've read various articles about this issue. The only novel I've read was No Logo, by Naomi Klein. My problem isn't with GAP in particular but sweatshops in general.

There have been some changes since the release of No Logo, which definitely played a role in bringing these issues to the forefront. Many companies are trying to change their image by participating in other charitable practices (i.e. GAP, Walmart) instead of changing some sweatshop conditions.

I'm curious, can you share with me your sources? I'm very excited to see someone else who is familiar with this issue, and would love to discuss it further if you like :)

I had a roommate last year who was raving about No Logo, but I never did get around to reading it.

I guess I was actually referring to sweatshop conditions in particular when referencing changes GAP has made in the past 3-4 years towards more accountability/transparency.

A few quick websites I often go through:

http://www.coopamerica.org/programs/rs/profile.cfm?id=229
http://www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/sweatshops/2263.html

The trend I noticed is while there are still accusations of unfair working conditions in some areas, they are considerably fewer than just a few years ago, which is consistent with the idea that the company in general is trying to move towards a more positive way of doing business- whether their motivations for doing so are from consumer pressure or genuine feeling on their part.

[I'd be happy to continue chatting, if you'd like to without clogging this thread my email's listed or you can PM- I'm working with a mate on getting a dedicated merch line set up and it's a little more than difficult to source things ethically in some cases, hence the interest. ]

brunerhyme said:

[I'd be happy to continue chatting, if you'd like to without clogging this thread my email's listed or you can PM- I'm working with a mate on getting a dedicated merch line set up and it's a little more than difficult to source things ethically in some cases, hence the interest. ]

I only speak for myself, but I'm reading you guys' posts! Very informative, do continue sharing...

The reason I went to the Gap is for the ADO(RED) tee but our Gap didn't have it . :( If you order online do they send you the tee on the photo they are showing or would they send any of the word tees ?

u2trinity said:
The reason I went to the Gap is for the ADO(RED) tee but our Gap didn't have it . :( If you order online do they send you the tee on the photo they are showing or would they send any of the word tees ?

If you order online they send you the shirt in the picture.

Visited The Gap today - the one at The Grove in Los Angeles. Tons of stuff there, not to mention stuff I hadn't seen in person yet. They had the cashmere bikini in red and in grey. Saw a different belt (just brown with some red stitching). Maddy tried on a red & blue striped knit hat ($20, almost purchased), saw the scarf, the one with the red pattern on a white-ish background ($35). Saw the green reversible jacket (never saw it in person before), Converse shoes (none of our local Gaps ever had any shoes), long-sleeve shirts (red, grey, white)... wallet ($60), fish-type bag and fish-type smaller type make-up case or something like that ($60 - ouch!). Spent money at The Gap, but none of it on RED product :|

Babydoll - will I be glad I bought blue jeans there? They were the Original Boot Cut (the ones not on sale :angry: ). I hate that jeans look great the first time you try them on, then they stretch out and/or just don't fit the same later on.

YAY!!...since i can't have the Gap (RED) products, i begged my mum for an Armani (RED) t-shirt...and...guess what??...i bought it yesterday!!:hyper:...it is not as beautiful as Gap ones, but it will help the Global Fund anyway!!:happy:

Lila64 said:

Babydoll - will I be glad I bought blue jeans there? They were the Original Boot Cut (the ones not on sale :angry: ). I hate that jeans look great the first time you try them on, then they stretch out and/or just don't fit the same later on.

Yep, I can guarantee our jeans are made to last. :D IF you buy a pair with strechy fiber like spandex in it or lycra, it's already strechy and will stretch just a little bit with wear and adapt to your body. But if you get a pair without any give, they won't strech out as much. The jeans are so pricey because they are guaranteed to last and are good quality. Let me know if you buy them or not. :wink:

Lila64 said:
Visited The Gap today - the one at The Grove in Los Angeles. Tons of stuff there, not to mention stuff I hadn't seen in person yet. They had the cashmere bikini in red and in grey. Saw a different belt (just brown with some red stitching). Maddy tried on a red & blue striped knit hat ($20, almost purchased), saw the scarf, the one with the red pattern on a white-ish background ($35). Saw the green reversible jacket (never saw it in person before), Converse shoes (none of our local Gaps ever had any shoes), long-sleeve shirts (red, grey, white)... wallet ($60), fish-type bag and fish-type smaller type make-up case or something like that ($60 - ouch!). Spent money at The Gap, but none of it on RED product :|

Ohhhhhh Im going to the Grove this weekend!!!:hyper::up:

Babydoll said:

Yep, I can guarantee our jeans are made to last. :D IF you buy a pair with strechy fiber like spandex in it or lycra, it's already strechy and will stretch just a little bit with wear and adapt to your body. But if you get a pair without any give, they won't strech out as much. The jeans are so pricey because they are guaranteed to last and are good quality. Let me know if you buy them or not. :wink:

I bought a pair because I thought they were 25% off. Apparently that was only for the Flare jeans. But they fit & I liked them, and I still had a 10% coupon, so I bought them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom